Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rastilin
Nov 6, 2010

Keldulas posted:

I play on Legendary here because unlike XCOM, a run won't be nuked because of unavoidably bad RNG rolls (sectoids being able to one-shot your marines on an unlucky crit is just kind of rear end, XCOM). Would anyone be interested in gameplay thoughts with the Legendary difficulty context? If people would like them, I'd totally be up for making some large-rear end effortposts on this game, as mentioned I really do love it.

I'd be interested. I'm always keen to hear insights from high level play in these games. That's one of the best parts of the Let's Plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rastilin
Nov 6, 2010

Olesh posted:

I'm not going to specifically refute anything here, though I disagree with some (and agree with others). My position is that Chaos Gate: Daemonhunters, even on higher difficulties, is easier and more forgiving than some similar games, and it accomplishes this by giving you a variety of strong options (and very few trap options). This allows people to settle into strategies that they find comfortable, and encourages experimentation (combined with the game handing you higher level Knights with skills preassigned, to discourage homogeny).

There's a lot of videos to come and a lot to show off and talk about.

Predictability is huge. I know that in theory in Xcom you have to plan around random chance, but I also know that in practice a lot of people just resort to doing save/reload to get out of bad situations. Because the random chance element combined with the difficulty of recovering from a bad situation means that you have to use the very safest most predictable tactics ever because the moment you take any kind of risk your team and then game can get wiped out. Then the game starts throwing timers at you that you have to take risks to beat.

The biggest problem boils down to the fact that stuff like criticals are always going to be better for the enemy than for you. The enemy will always have endless amount of trash mobs, so it doesn't matter as much if you nail one for 4x damage or not. But you only have your small, elite and very difficult to replace team, so a critical from the mob to you is very different. Effectively I think randomness in strategy games, even if the rules are the same for both sides, works against the human player.