Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

This looks quite interesting. The art direction is a bit "cartoony" for a Warhammer 40k game, which feels weird.

I'm guessing that the previous captain or whatever dying happens in the tutorial?

Also, the sound effects are a bit loud, which makes it impossible to understand what you guys are saying as soon as you do something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Jade Star posted:

On top of that, hand crafting the maps tends to mean they are very well decorated, in terms of aesthetics as well as function for gameplay. In the first area there are very nifty statues with enormous bases that act as a 2x2 square of high cover, but you can shoot the statue to have it come crashing down to crush enemies and destroy cover alike. There are braziers that fit the gothic imperium of man aesthetic everywhere and many of these can be shot at to poor fire and coals over nearby enemies. It's such an unexpected little bit of fun to utilize these things in Chaos Gate. Many of these things do different things and are interacted in different ways. By comparison X-Com really only ever had the red barrels where you shoot something that's not an enemy and it explodes. Truly, on a deep, logical, mechanical level the statues and fire bowls and pillars and columns might not be that much different from red barrels, but the visual and mechanical differences make them novel and fit into the environment of the game in a more seamless fashion. I think that's worth noticing and appreciating that and Chaos Gate does a great job with a lot of these little touches, more of which I will surely comment on again in the future.
Having just watched the video, I have to agree that the targeted destructible terrain is really awesome. Took me a bit to understand that you were choosing where exactly the fire from the brazier would go. And smashing down the statue (both via range and especially via melee) was suitably effective.

One small thing: just how much damage reduction does half or full cover do?