Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
One of the things I love about this game is how the marines and enemies look (to my uneducated eyes) like painted minis. Or at least what example painted minis from google search or on 40k podcasts look like.

Though I guess I should add to that 'with less shading/brushing/fake dirt' which might contribute to a 'cartoony' look.

Choosing Grey Knights as the chapter you play is a very good choice. Everyone gets special powers, wrist mounted storm boltors look cool, are easier to justify low ammo capacity, etc.

On the subject of DLC : I played with Duty Eternal but not Execution Force (because it came out halfway through the run.). Mild mechanical spoilers, just in case it matters to someone. DE makes 1 out of 3 of each outbreak be a DLC one, which are balanced for you to do with a Dreadnaught (like, pods of 4 Chaos Marines, placed in sight of each other 'balanced') and you can't BRING the Dreadnaught until you've done a Plot Mission (and a DLC mission after it) so you have to speedrun the main plot or pull out the Exterminatus.

It was fun and cool, but made me literally restart my whole run to adjust for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The joyful extra-ness of the game makes me sad about things like patching in higher stun values (which are looking higher than when I played I thiiink. I remember cultists being 3~4 stun, but was also normal difficulty).

In terms of catchup mechanic, one interesting one is about if you get knights killed. Weirdly, it's the only way to get someone with a filled out skill grid. IIRC

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

DTurtle posted:

Having just watched the video, I have to agree that the targeted destructible terrain is really awesome. Took me a bit to understand that you were choosing where exactly the fire from the brazier would go. And smashing down the statue (both via range and especially via melee) was suitably effective.

One small thing: just how much damage reduction does half or full cover do?

I thought half was a flat -2, but googling suggests half cover removes half your (starting) damage. Which if you add in range penalties gets pretty rough with early guns that only do 4.

Full cover when it applies fully is just lol no as Jade said in the video. I think there's an angle where full cover becomes partial before you are flanked? But never tested.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
It is also worth noting that for most guns, range feels short. In my opinion. I ended up having to try and flip the frustration on it's head and think of it as 'point blank' being a bonus. The game wants to reward you for getting in there and getting your kill on.

Sadly very early on your max HP isn't very high so it can feel pretty dicey and scary.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Then Plague Marines get a flat 1 in 6 ignore damage IIRC? Thankfully not in this game.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Jade. Are you aware of the stupid bullshit you can do with the Psilencer's Disrupt Shot? (Though Disruptor servo-skulls do it just as well).

I forget if I read it on BeforeIPlay, or saw it on a stream (maybe even yours!) or what.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Jade Star posted:

Nothing is springing to mind other than disrupt shuts down autos and overwatch.

Ah the main thing is (boss mechanic spoilers) most(?) bosses aren't immune, so no teleporting when hit, giant counter attacks, clones etc..

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I must agree on the hatred of plant artillery. They really are a "You can't ignore this" design thing. Didn't know about the minimum range (because how would you).

Weirdly, Apothecary without Healing, Justicar without Flag are both solid builds. Purgator with only a bolter? Weird but maybe you can do something cool with it. But yeah, no Teleport interceptor is probably a freaky late-game build when you have like a +3 Move armour and want more Crit and Crit makes AP side stuff. One thing that surprised me when I played and got a new skilled up recruit was how useful the AoE Hobble is. The mass blind (which I think can come with a purge) and the mass vulnerable are also quite shiny, but plague marines have almost as poo poo range as your knights, so hobbled is very good on them.

A shame that armour didn't have Increased Area on grenades, because that's the real wow factor for me. Admittedly, mostly with Stun grenades (but bigger booms are better booms almost regardless).

For Duty Eternal, I basically speedran the plot stuff to get the Dreadnought up and running ASAP. And would suggest similar for most people if they are playing along and want Techmarines and all that, unless you LIKE doing the missions max corruption throws at you. Due to slightly dubious design decisions (repairing the big boy costs servitors and maybe you ship upgrading time?) I ended up only using it as a long range thing, but it's still night and day.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
As this LP made me start playing again, I think the reason the Vindicare can't collect seeds is that they don't have a melee attack and it's a melee environmental object. The disguise/stabby assassin can harvest them fine.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
+3 Skill points is huge, most of the time for me. Though there are a bunch of other good traits (and some strictly worse ones! Like +10% chance of dealing afflicitions with melee weapons. Compared to just +10% focus!!) If I could mod the game to make everyone devoted pracitioner I probably would. (Maybe make like Iolanthus or Storm a Great Destiny instead.)

The main use of Arcane Weapons I've seen mentioned when googling builds and such, is to dump it on a mini-gun Interceptor, IIRC. You teleport in and destroy a pod with one spread shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I had two of my starting knights with that trait (Duelist!). So I just restarted