Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I would think that things like the multiple Dark Crusades would make Chaos known to even relatively low-ranked people in the imperial guard and the imperial navy. Yeah, they're gigantic decrepit organizations and all that, but having entire sectors being controlled by Chaos and having to bring in half of the segmentum's battle fleet to push it back means word would get around. I think events like the fall of cadia are also known to rank-and-file guardsmen? Or even just the existence of cadia in the first place kind of makes one ask "so what's so important about that place?" and the implications of that. Then there's also the Horus Heresy. The feast of the emperor's ascension is the most important holiday in the imperium so I'm not sure how you'd have that but also simultaneously hide the existence of Chaos.

I believe the general gist of it is that prior to the 13th black crusade, Anything involving chaos was papered over in some way to make it so that Chaos wasn't known to the wider audience. The most obvious example of this is that after the First War for Armageddon (where Angron showed up and the Grey Knights had their first MAJOR battle), the Inquisition deliberately killed the entire population of the planet and resettled it to prevent the knowledge of Chaos existing. At the same time, the Fallen Primarchs aren't even acknowledged within the Imperium.

That said, the 13th crusade changed EVERYTHING. Hard to hide chaos when the Astronomicon goes out and the galaxy is split in half by a warp rift. Also Bobby Ultrasmurf taking back the reigns of the Imperium means that he's been making it a lot less about brutal suppression of anything that doesn't show the Imperium as the best and greatest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

The Super Weapon that blew up stars in Star Wars was known as the Sun Crusher. It also was impervious to damage because of diamond armor. To the point that it got Death Star Laser'd and survived (It was made at the same facility as the original death star prototype, so they had a bare bones death star).