Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Cooked Auto posted:

When something even more boring shows up, the second most boring thing suddenly doesn't look bad.

They're the worst when they're 'Space Marines, but better'. The Golden Boys showing up took some of that energy, but I also think they were helped by the Primaris as well, because while those are also Space Marines But Better, they also turned down the Space Marine heraldry in favour if a more streamlined 'high speed, low drag' NerfTM high-tier special forces operator direction for Astartes, so now Grey Knights are the 'older 40k' cousins who wear ornate embossed armour and have archaeo-tech and tchotchkes and gribblies as wards against whatever weird poo poo they have to deal with today.

A nice middle ground between the nuMarine full tacticool and the Custodes Old 'height of the Imperium, more civilised time' ceremonial (but still functional) gear. Of course, between custodes, grey knights, Agents of The Imperium, Imperial Knights, Mechanicus, sisters of battle, Guard, primaris marines, 'firstborn Astartes' (not that those really exist anymore), and the four? Flavours of 'special snowflake space marine', the Imperium alone probably makes up the majority of the factions involved, half of which also have a different version with spikes (Chaos variant)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

FoolyCharged posted:

As long as we're doing the 40k thread thing and immediately devolvinng into lore chat:

In all the 11 million pieces of written words on 40k, has anyone ever talked about chaos dudes that aren't soldiers? Is there some khornate mechanic that gets really angry at the gaps he's welding shut and the screws he needs to tighten? A Nurgle doctor that fixes dudes up after the fighting is over and gives them a few new friends inside them to boot? Nurgle butchers that only sell meat well past its date?

I feel there is some very tappable stuff for chaos society while it's just chilling in the warp being all chaos-y

Some of this will be explored in- game, and a certain amount of Chaos logistics gets handwaved as either 'stick a daemon in it' or 'Chaos gods will it, and time in the warp is...malleable'. But as for society in general, a relatively solid source for what it's like is the Gaunt's Ghosts series. While the books are very much from an imperial perspective, and therefore mostly detached and really only deals with frontline forces, the viewpoint is only from various human perspectives and can be read between the lines both about being a poor sod at the lowest end of the Chaos Totem pole and also, in some cases, what is like to be a loyal Imperium human trapped on a Chaos held world in realspace.

Turns out, mostly really fuckin' bad.

E: fb

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

AtomikKrab posted:

I think Kai is the acting chapter head because the actual chapter master is uh... lost in the warp, but not lost lost, he's cursed or something to be hurtled around to combat zones basically actings as a deus ex machina or something if I remember my warhammer lore. Grand master is a company commander basically so about 100 space marines under his direct command, Master of the Armoury would be an additional title associated with Kai, likely each Company Commander oversees a different aspect, one would be for example the fleet, another might command the chapter's librarians... although given EVERY Grey Knight is a psyker that's a little different than a normal chapter. Another would be the commander of the scouts, generally the 10th company commander, again probably not the same as a normal chapter given the Grey Knights not being a normal chapter.

Close, but Grey Knight are instead organised into one of eight Brotherhoods. Each is headed by a Grand Master, who will also take over a specific part of the organisations logistics, much like The Armoury or the Fleet. All eight of the Grand Masters must unanimously vote for someone to become Supreme Grand Master upon the death of the previous Grandmaster, who as of right now is, as you say, lost in the warp, showing up somewhat randomly and doing a bunch of weird stuff.

So yes, Grand Master Kai here is probably the Master of the Armoury. But we are currently attached to a Strike Cruiser and are acting in the role of Brother-Captain, who is expected to command a full 100 marines. So Grey Knight Brother-Captains have the material authority of a Company Captain in Codex Compliant Chapters. of course, not all those battle brothers are on the Strike Cruiser and many are further afield...

Of course... scale is all messed up, the expectation of a Codex Compliant chapter being able to do anything of note with only a thousand men is generally laughable, and since Guillimans alive and the Primaris Exist, that entire situation may have been revised/out the window.

EDIT: found different sources that disagreed removed possible bad info.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 16, 2024

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

By popular demand posted:

Joke's still on them though: if they stayed loyal even to the barest of effort the chapter would be in a position to demand triumphs!

They were in a position to demand them anyway: one of the great failings of the Iron Warriors is that they were the epitome of 'too humble is half proud'; They toiled in obscurity and that led to bitterness, but they never asked for better or voiced their want for recognition. Their achievements became ash in thier mouths because they spent lives and material to achieve them, they had to mean something or it was a waste... but succeeding in the task itself wasn't enough, they had to have people notice, an this marred even their own internal pride. Things that would have been lauded in other legions became the standard in the Iron Warriors, and when the incredible and the nigh impossible becomes the standard even the above average becomes a failure.

They wanted recognition, but their own pride prevented them from asking for it, because doing so would expose that they weren't the picture perfect stoic soldiers who did what was required, and in turn, they grew bitter about it. To a certain extent their complaints about the Imperium are projection and their motto is a farce; They may claim to be 'Iron Within, Iron Without', but their rebellion came from a lack of internal solidity. Their pride and self-worth became externalised, relient on others and from there they fell.

The Horus Heresy definitely at least managed to give each Traitor Legion a relatively compelling reason for their fall.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 12, 2024