Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Jade Star posted:

The four kinds of assassins employed by the Imperial Army are available to recruit and all bring something unique and cool to every mission.

Technically there is no Imperial Army. It was split up into the Imperial Navy and Imperial Guard (which is now called the Astra Militarum) after the Horus Heresy as part of a series of reforms to prevent another civil war like the Horus Heresy. The other major change was that the Space Marine Legions which consisted of tens or hundreds of thousands of Space Marines were split into Chapters of 1000 men and stripped of their command authority over the Imperial Army's successors. The reforms succeeded in that regard as there has never been a singular threat towards the Imperium like Horus since then. The largest Space Marine rebellion since the Heresy consisted of only four chapters (technically five). The Grey Knights aren't limited to the standard 1000 members because they need all the manpower they can get and they operate under much closer scrutiny from the Inquisition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Jade Star posted:

I may misuse terminology a lot in the LP. I am not a big follower of Warhammer, but the Total War series and Chaos Gate have been super rad so they are the source of my limited knowledge of the setting/universe.

Really the most in depth warhams setting I know is Bloodbowl. Do not make me go roll a BB2 LP into this LP.

Don't sweat it. My 'Well Actually' was counter 'Well Actually'-ed as is right and proper.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
There are approximately 1000 space marine chapters. Each one is given a number, although numbers will be reissued if a Chapter is destroyed. The Grey Knights are number 666 even though they were created before the Second Founding (which is when the loyalist Legions were officially split into Chapters) so they either called dibs or some other Chapter had to trade with them.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

This just goes to show how powerful the Blessings of the Plaguefather are if they can turn random mooks into beings capable of slowing down grey knights. Contrast that to the long and arduous process of making a single space marine, which was developed by the emperor himself mind you, and you start to wonder if maybe the Chaos Gods are in a class of their own in terms of power and the rewards that They offer.

That's a pretty good explanation for why the Grey Knights aren't ripping through dozens of human cultists since normal space marines in lore are supposed to be at least worth ten guardsmen. That and it'd probably get boring if every pod of cultists consisted of forty-nine enemies you needed to kill while they were all but helpless against your men.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
One of the other roles the Grey Knights serve is helping clean up after they’ve killed off a daemonic infestation. There was a formation called the Grey Knight Redeemer Force you could take in the Apocalypse expansion for 40K which had a special rule where the other player would gain control of them once they had no Chaos models left. I doubt you’ll do anything like that in the game but it would be lore accurate if there was an epilogue where you had to decide between executing everyone or being merciful and sterilizing them before sending them to die in labor camps.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

As long as we're doing the 40k thread thing and immediately devolvinng into lore chat:

In all the 11 million pieces of written words on 40k, has anyone ever talked about chaos dudes that aren't soldiers? Is there some khornate mechanic that gets really angry at the gaps he's welding shut and the screws he needs to tighten? A Nurgle doctor that fixes dudes up after the fighting is over and gives them a few new friends inside them to boot? Nurgle butchers that only sell meat well past its date?

I feel there is some very tappable stuff for chaos society while it's just chilling in the warp being all chaos-y

The Black Crusade RPG deals with various Chaos controlled planets and societies.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I wonder if this is where the, um , raw material for the Edict’s servitors is coming from.

Possibly. Many servitors are made from clones but transformation into a servitor is a common punishment.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Huh. I'll accept it as "one of those things" that's part of the lore even though it feels weird to me.

The Imperium wants people to be on guard against heresy (questioning authority) but not to know that heresy can get you cool super powers. As bad as Abaddon's Black Crusades are, and they're supposed to be the worst Chaos attacks against the Imperium, nothing has come close to the scale of the Horus Heresy and even in that many planets rebelled without knowing anything about Chaos they just saw an opportunity to escape from Imperial rule or threw in on what they thought would be the winning side.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Will you be able to take more than four men on a mission? If so what's the maximum you can take?

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Considering how many radical Inquisitors there are there’s a good chance anyone who has witnessed Chaos will be allowed to live by an Inquisitor because they think it’ll further their agenda to disseminate knowledge of Chaos.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
One interesting connection between the Grey Knights and Death Guard is that the titular gray coloration comes from the fact that they don’t paint their armor. The Death Guard also didn’t paint their armor except for a few highlights before their corruption by Nurgle….

By popular demand posted:

Living on a planet for decades while an armada of hungry mouths slowly approach sounds so much worse than many other deaths in setting, I can imagine the populace just voting for nuclear death out of spite.

There was a planet that defeated a hive fleet by blowing up one of its hive cities while the Tyranids besieged it. The surviving Tyranids froze to death or were killed before they came out of winter hibernation. They can also starve to death if they don’t feed on a planet often enough.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Telsa Cola posted:

Or Fenris or Catachan where the native biosphere just eats the invading fleet

Is it still implied that the ecosystems of those planets are descended from a previous Tyranid invasion?

JT Jag posted:

It was pretty predictable, Games Workshop's writers have always kinda treated the Orks as secondary villains who aren't allowed to get a signature win, both in 40k and in Fantasy where it's actually worse (they retconned Grimgor defeating the Everchosen because it went against Their Narrative)

Didn't they have Ghazghkull show up to beat the Tyranids back in Octarius until he got bored like at Armageddon and left?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

AtomikKrab posted:

Not soldiers, just people that run systems on the ship. Space Marine vessels in particular tend to be lower on crew than a normal navy ships official number, they have better maintained systems and more automatic stuff.

For example the guns on a space marine vessel are likely NOT reloaded by having a crew of hundreds drag a shell the size of a small building into place. They get the good tech.

Yeah, it's important to note that while the Imperium has lost a lot of technological knowledge since the Horus Heresy, to say nothing of the Dark Age of Technology, there are things that are scarce not because of lack of knowledge but cost.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

By popular demand posted:

Joke's still on them though: if they stayed loyal even to the barest of effort the chapter would be in a position to demand triumphs!

Irony of ironies they had probably the highest rate of loyalists among all the traitor legions but because their primarch sided with Horus they all had to hide their origin after the Horus Heresy and now even their descendants have forgotten their true origin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

useless trivia: the term "tractor beam" was a sci-fi-ism of the oldest and most venerable type, "take a description of what it does and then cut off a superfluous syllable"

attractor beam -> tractor beam, android ->droid, gravity gun ->gravy gun

Graviton gun -> grav-gun is a funny one.