Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024
Wanted to share some interesting lore about Warhammer for those who don't know much about the series itself. Basically just whatever I find interesting to share each episode.

Episode 1 - Flying Skull Medpacks

So, what's up with those flying skulls that heal people? Well, those are called servitors, or more specifically, a servo-skull. Why does it look like a skull? Because it is a skull!

You see, AI isn't a thing in Warhammer. Or rather, it was, and it ended up getting called Abominable Intelligence. That's because during the Dark Age of Technology (which was about 25k-15k years ago), people actually managed to create AI devices known as the Men of Iron. These were servants who eventually rebelled against their masters, leading to a bloody war between them, ending in the defeat of the Men of Iron. AI was promptly banned afterwards, and this edict remains in effect to this very day.

So, what do you do when you need a robot who can think? You turn someone into a robot, duh. Servo skulls are made from loyal servants of the Emperor, and while technically dead, continue to serve the Imperium even in death. It's considered a great honor to become one in fact. They fly using an antigravity device fitted inside of all of them, and are quite rare for obvious reasons. Only the elite can have one for themselves, which of course, includes Space Marines like in our squad.

Episode 2 - The Emperor's Seed

While talking to our Omnissiah worshiping buddy (will probably go over the Omnissiah another time), he mentioned the gene-seed of the Grey Knights being tied back to the Golden Throne, or the Emperor. So what is Gene-Seed?

All Space Marines are superhuman monsters of men. Each one has multiple extra organs, some organs humans don't even normally have, just general increased intelligence and strength, along with many other boons. Why are they so strong? Along with a fuckton of modifications, they have something called a Gene-Seed implanted into them. This is DNA originating from the 20 18 primarchs, used to help grow the many artificial organs added to a Space Marine. Each gene-seed has a chance of mutating over time, which is what causes the occasional quirks that different chapters have. All chapters can trace their lineage back to one of the 20 18 primarchs. Except for one. The Grey Knights.

The Grey Knights were created personally, by the emperor himself. And as such, they have his completely unaltered gene-seed too. They call their many implanations the "Emperor's Gift" because of this.

I won't go deep into the Grey Knights themselves in this segment (I'm trying to keep this to smaller details within the wider universe), but they specialize in fighting Chaos Daemons. That's why our group just went from fighting Khorne to fighting Nurgle. To better be able to do this, every single member of the Grey Knights is a Psyker, possessing psychic powers linked to the warp. Despite this, in over 10,000 years of service, not a single Grey Knight has ever fallen to Chaos :toot:

This purpose is why they have the pure unaltered gene-seed. They need it, to fight the warp itself and all the chaos within. But of course, gene-seed is a limited resource. In order to make more of it, all space marines have an organ called the progenoids. One is located in the neck, and one in the chest cavity. Each one contains a separate sample of the gene-seed of the chapter. This is recovered after the marine's death, making recovery of corpses all the more important in order to make new space marines. No gene-seed, no marines.

That's all for my first post. Will make another big message when the next update comes out! And anyone who wants to know more about or discuss the lore is free to ask, I'll try and help out where I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024

Kurieg posted:

Don't they technically have two copies of the gene seed? Their original which can be recovered and a new one that gets grown out of one of their numerous implants and can be harvested prior to death so their ranks can grow?
Should have clarified in first post, but the gene-seed is all the unique organs a space marine has collectively. It's the DNA itself. The two progenoids are the copies used as big ole sacks of DNA, absorbing it from the other organs for the purpose of preservation and expansion of the chapter.

After 5-10 years, the progenoid has sucked up enough DNA to make a new gene-seed, which can then be cut out and used as a new sack of seed to be used for the next marines made. They're typically harvested prior to death for obvious reasons, to be able to expand the chapter more.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024

Bruceski posted:

I'm going to start imagining that the whole Space Marine project continues for another 40,000 years or so, encounters time travel and that's where Orks come from. Gene-Seed organs turned into spore sacs.
Mork and Gork are the two lost primarchs

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024
I love how extra a lot of the stuff in this game is. Shooting down tall pieces of terrain, massive explosions and piles of fire, marines hopping across place to place to travel farther, and my favorite is how you can frequently tear enemies into chunks. The critical hits are literally dismembering your opponents. It's incredibly extra and amazing.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024
Episode 3 - Apothecaries: Even Space Marines need medics
Since this episode was just one combat encounter, I decided to go into more detail on one of the main classes we have in the game, Apothecaries. Namely, what each of their main duties are.

Let's start with battlefield duties. As is evident from what I titled this post, the main duty of an apothecary has to do with battlefield medicine. Space Marines are costly to create, so you want to keep them in the best shape possible. Apothecaries receive special medical training that allows them to heal up their fellow brothers on the battlefield to keep them in the fight.

Next up is pretty much the most important duty of an apothecary, and why they are one of the more respected ranks within their organization. Recovering the gene-seed. I talked about it in my previous post, but the gene-seed is the backbone of any chapter. As such, apothecaries are trained to retrieve the bodies of fallen brothers, then cut out and remove the progenoid glands to save the genes-seed within.

Onto the last of the battlefield duties: euthanasia. I'm just going to post a quote directly from the lexicanum page about this one.

Index Astartes: Medics posted:

Not all wounded Marines can be saved; some are beyond even the Apothecary's skills. In this case, it is the Apothecary's responsibility to administer "the Emperor's Peace" (euthanasia) to those warriors who deserve it. The Apothecary's medi-pack (known as a Narthecium) includes a special humane killer for this task, called a Carnifex — a solid spring-loaded piston of metal. This is applied to the sufferer's temple, its powerful spring hurling the piston through the Marine's brain and killing him instantly.

:stare:

Anyway, onto off the battlefield. Since they're the ones to take out the gene-seed, they're also the ones who smack it back into new recruits for the chapter. Most apothecaries actually take on this role. They spend their time training new recruits and other apothecaries, with only a few going out on the battlefield to snatch up progenoids and keep alive other soldiers.

Apothecaries are also the bio-researchers for the chapter, spending a lot of their time keeping the chapter alive through gene-seeds and medical care. These apothecaries are part of a chapter's Apothecarion, with a Chief Apothecary running things.

For a final note, there is a special role within the Apothecaries. These marines are called Apothecary Biologis. They take samples of xenos threats to study and come up with brand new improved ways to kill them in the future. This role seems to be what our resident Inquisitor is getting up to, studying the corpses brought back to her. Although she's obviously not a marine herself.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024

White Coke posted:

...the Space Marine Legions which consisted of tens or hundreds of thousands of Space Marines were split into Chapters of 1000 men....
Important note is that this only applies for chapters not on Crusade. This allows chapters like the Black Templars to have wayyyy more than what they should. After all, they can just never stop crusading, and the limit never goes away (according to them). This makes the inquisition very amgry :argh:, and the two sides don't get along too well.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024

Jade Star posted:

Really, the most important bit of Warhammer 40k lore is that Ciaphas Cain killed the Archon King when things looked most dire for X-Com.
Honestly, considering the Ciaphis Cain within Warhammer itself? I wouldn't be surprised if he did this at some point if you just replace X-Com with whatever post he was assigned to at the time.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024

NGDBSS posted:

How does that thing even turn!?
Very carefully

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024

Groetgaffel posted:

There's many silly space marine models. A regular marine moves 6" per turn. This thing moves 3". Somehow. It can also charge people and beat them up in melee.
I'm imagining it rapidly waddling back and forth before bonking the enemy on the head with the barrel.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024

Tylana posted:

The game wants to reward you for getting in there and getting your kill on.
Considering how a lot of the environmental stuff requires you to be in melee range to it, definitely. It wants you to be a big strong grey knight charging in and smashing chaos into giblets.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024

Olesh posted:

I will go into this in more detail later on in the videos, and Jade and I have different opinions on specifics, but there are no bad classes and almost no completely worthless skills. Some are better than others, but nearly every selection is viable - as long as you are picking skills with intent in mind. Obviously it's possible to cripple a Grey Knight by picking a scattershot of minor boosts and skipping all of the major abilities; that's not really what we're talking about here. Instead, the bar for what constitutes "good enough to use" is shockingly low - because of the way weapons and wargear and other Grey Knights interact with your decisions on the battlescape, not everything is at it appears in a vacuum. Some things are extremely strong if you lean into them. Others, merely okay. There is a lot of variety to be had!

That's good to hear. There's a lot of games out there which have the 'correct' path to choose for your characters unless you want to struggle the whole way through the game. Or even just the clearly superior option that is nerfing you if you don't use it. Looking at a few Xcom abilities here for both things I said.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Not a cultist btw just asking questions here.

Sounds like something a cultist would say. Better execute you just to be safe.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the Inquisition War books are fascinating, and also half of the Black Library's output was dedicated to invalidating anything ever written in them for pretty good reasons

at the intersection of 40K and Horny Author there lies a great darkness. shame, the joke at the end of them is genuinely a great 40K moment.

for the uninitiated: after having spent the entire last book trying to ressurect his assassin waifu, Our Hero, having succeeded, is -IMMEDIATELY- reduced to flesh-ribbons by the ressurected assassin because she thinks she's still in the fight that killed her and has had an illusion thrown at her to distract her, and she then hauls rear end off into the Webway to try to finish the fight.

the watching Squat and Imperial Fist say "Well, that was about the best outcome possible. So, want to go off and have adventures literally anywhere else?"

Well then. I suppose that's as 40k as it gets. At least he got to be happy for about... 5 seconds before he got turned into a finely diced pile of flesh? That's more than most in the universe.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024

Groetgaffel posted:

Not if you're an Ork. The Orks are having a blast, almost all the time.

Ignorance is bliss

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024
Now I want a game in the style of the old xcoms but with orks. And have an insane amount of them die charging into battle, but you always just grow new ones and hand them barely functional weapons you scrap together by slapping together various bits of tech you scavenge off the dead.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024

Groetgaffel posted:

The vast, vast majority of imperial population have no idea that chaos exists.
They'll never see a real space marine, only statues and art, unless they live on one of the few worlds with a chapter monastery.
There's even entire hive worlds that believes xenos of any kind is just a tall tale.
Most citizens live and die in their same hab block and workplace doing their assigned menial labour all their life, many not even learning to read beyond deciphering the road signs around them.

The mortals that do manage to attract the attention of Chaos almost always do so by blind chance. It's not exactly an option to just wake up one day and say "Imma be a chaos cultist now!"

People tend to forget the insane scale that WH40K takes place on. It's the entire galaxy. ALL of it. And most is owned by the Imperium. Most humans inside aren't going to know poo poo about a bunch of xenos that nobody on their planet has ever even heard of before in centuries, especially when the Imperial education system isn't the best for normal citizens.

There's usually 1000 space marines in a chapter. 1000. In the entire galaxy. Even if you combined all the chapters together at ~1000, you get 1 million. To spread across an entire galaxy. Unless the space marine has poo poo to do on your backwater hive city and it passes right through your house, you are never seeing one. It's the equivalent of seeing an angel, and is even described as such.

Chaos in particular gets covered up constantly. Even the primarchs, the emperor's special little boys, never got told about them since just knowing Chaos exists risks getting corrupted hy chaos. Obviously this plan backfired when the primarchs ended up encountering chaos unprepared, but knowledge is still kept on a need to know basis. Even high up officers in something like the Astra Militarum are only going to be told about Chaos if they're likely to end up encountering it personally. Even then, it'll just be the absolute basics, with stuff like the 4 gods of chaos being kept evem more hush hush.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024
I think my statement from before was a bit too broad tbf. As has been pointed out, Chaos does cause a lot of trouble. To bring it back to this game in terms of relevance, we see the Grey Knights we're a part of immediately go from fighting Khorne to a brand new outbreak of Nurgle. Chaos is constantly loving around everywhere.

You also have all the gospel and preaching about heretics and all that in the church, which has only grown more powerful over time. So it's safe to say that every imperial citizen at least knows of Chaos existing.

The big thing is that very, very few of them know how it actually works. Even the guards who heard about the Fall of Cadia would only know it as "yeah chaos hosed poo poo up there". Outside of it being a vague nebulous force that we should kill, they aren't kept in the know. The average guardsmen wouldn't be able to tell if the daemon was working for Khorne or Nurgle unless someome told them before they got brutally murdered.

Again bringing it back to the game: Grey Knights are probably some of the most well informed on general chaos business. It's their one job to fight chaos all over the galaxy. The only reason this isn't just another Tuesday is cause of the former leader getting murderized and our ship getting hosed.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024

White Coke posted:

One of the other roles the Grey Knights serve is helping clean up after they’ve killed off a daemonic infestation. There was a formation called the Grey Knight Redeemer Force you could take in the Apocalypse expansion for 40K which had a special rule where the other player would gain control of them once they had no Chaos models left. I doubt you’ll do anything like that in the game but it would be lore accurate if there was an epilogue where you had to decide between executing everyone or being merciful and sterilizing them before sending them to die in labor camps.

That makes me wonder what we're doing most of the time, at least in these early missions. Cause all we're doing is killing like, maybe a dozen cultists each time we visit a planet? That seems remarkably small scale considering some of the landscapes we've seen. I guess they're just the forces propagating an existing infection, and by killing them we get rid of the source? Then I guess the only people who need to get mindwiped and sterilized would be those nearby the arenas we fight in.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024

Cooked Auto posted:

It should be said that the Sabbat Crusade series (because at this point it has sort of expanded beyond just the Ghosts of Tanith) does present Chaos in a slightly different way.

For while there are also the kind of crazed cultists you usually see in 40k media, the main antagonist that crops up later on is essentially a dark mirror of the Guard. In that it's a organised army of professional soldiers fighting for Chaos.
Two even as things progress.

I think I'm fine with that on smaller scales, or individual forces within chaos, but chaos as a whole should be focused around warp fuckery and the like. It's called chaos for a reason. Like in this game so far, where the threat of chaos is not "oh they're mounting an organized invasion into the region" it's "HOLY gently caress THEY COULD BE ANYWHERE!"

The most insidious part of chaos is how just knowing about it puts you at risk, and not knowing about it makes you vulnerable too. It's like a shield which also acts as a powerful magnet, drawing all the bullets toward you.

I'm sure we'll eventually get some big bad who's behind all this that we have to take out, but the xcom style of missions popping up randomly all over the place works for how I personally see Chaos as a whole. If this was like, the Death Guard invading it would make more sense as an organized force.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024

Keldulas posted:

I play on Legendary here because unlike XCOM, a run won't be nuked because of unavoidably bad RNG rolls (sectoids being able to one-shot your marines on an unlucky crit is just kind of rear end, XCOM). Would anyone be interested in gameplay thoughts with the Legendary difficulty context? If people would like them, I'd totally be up for making some large-rear end effortposts on this game, as mentioned I really do love it.

I'd love some as well. While we've got plenty of people who know 40k as a setting, not as much for the game itself. So getting a different perspective on how thing go would be great.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024

AtomikKrab posted:

We aren't dumbasses, but he doesn't trust that inquisitor not to get good Grey Knights killed in some dumb crusade.

It's also a good point that up until that call, pretty much all he would have heard about is the his precious Grey Knights, an already precious resource with how hard it is to make one, are being sent out to go and kill a bunch of cultists on a couple of planets. So it's not just getting Grey Knights killed. It's getting them killed in something that isn't even that important.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024
Episode 4 - The Ordo Malleus and You
A lot of the plot this episode and discussion around it have been about the conflict between our resident inquisitor Vahlen Vakir and the Grand Master Vardan Kai. After all, Vakir requisitioned an entire ship full of Grey Knights just to run down a single message that may or may not be important. So why the hell was she able to do that? She isn't even a Space Marine!

Now, I won't go into the history of the Ordo Malleus itself, only the most important parts relevant to how it interacts with our group of Space Marines.

The Ordo Malleus is a part of the Inquisition dedicated to fighting Chaos in physical form. While originally part of the larger whole of the Inquisition, it has since split off in order to better focus on it's own thing, and is made up of those like Vakir who are meant to hunt out and destroy Chaos. But one single inquisitor can't exactly fight off armies on their own. That's why all Malleus Inquisitors have the power to requisition and request things from others, even the High Lords of Terra and the Adeptus Astartes.

In this game, Inquisitor Vakir has basically called upon our ship to go and investigate because she said so. No other authority needed. The Grey knights especially must respond to this call due to being a part of the Chamber Militant: essentially, the people the Inquisition likes to call up when they need bad things dead ASAP.

As one final note about the Ordo Malleus: Nobody is allowed to know what they do. Nobody. Only the Grey Knights are left untouched after a military operation. Any members of the Imperial Guard or the Officio Assassinorum who are forced to help? Dead. All of them. You can't refuse the summons, and once they're finished, you get killed. No risking chaos getting out. The only exceptions to this are Space Marines, who are a bit too expensive to go around murdering whenever you need them to help kill some chaos. Instead, they just get all their memories wiped and shipped back off to go do more Space Marine business. Grey Knights are the only ones, along with the inquisitors involved, who get to remember all of what happened.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024

Groetgaffel posted:

Most noteworthy of the minor Ordos are Ordo Chronos, who either make sure no-one mess with time travel, or simply try to keep track of the Imperium's many different calendars, local time dilation and the effect of warp travel on time keeping. They may or may not have erased themselves with some time travel shenanigans.

Classic time travel mistake. Never mess with time travel, even if you're trying to stop other people messing with time travel.

Solarium fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 16, 2024

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024
My favorite Ordos are the Vigilus and the Necros.

What does the Ordos Vigilus do? They oversee the Ordos Necros

What does the Ordos Necros do? Nobody knows. It's just 5 dudes doing something or other.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024
The Necrons have like 6 different ways they can travel FTL, and all of them turn the laws of physics into the suggesstions of physics.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024

Jonny Nox posted:

is the vindicare assasin allowed to know about he existence of Grey Knights? or is he going to die even if he survives?

We talked about it before, but more likely than not they'll live. These assassins are so pumped full of drugs, modifications, and other bits, it'd be a waste to kill them.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024
Episode 5 - Temples of the Officio Assassinorum

So, this episode we got introduced to some helpers who will be joining our courageous Grey Knights on their quest to root out this corruption of chaos. But who are our plucky assassin friends, and why are they being trusted to fight alongside massive space marines? I'll make a post for each of the temples as we recruit them, with this first post including some backstory on the organization itself and the temples we won't be seeing. As such this may be a little longer than my previous posts, with future ones being shorter as they focus solely on whatever temple we just recruited.

The Officio Assassinorum has been around since the very beginning of the Imperium, when the Emperor was uniting the galaxy together under one banner: his own. They were always known for solo missions, one assassin per target. And they never needed any more, until one mission in particular: killing Horus. Not only that, the idea of sending multiple assassins was so unthinkable they never even considered it until multiple failed attempts on the primarch's life. Of course, the mission failed, but that goes to show how drat competent these guys are. Deploying just one of them requires a 2/3rds agreement of the high lords of Terra (although that tidbit comes from a board game about the officio which maaayyyy exaggerate a little). Whatever the amount required is, they are far more rare and precious of a resource than rank and file Space Marines. Only 1 in 10 survive the training, and that's already out of an incredibly small amount picked every year. An assassin's life is dangerous and hard, with more successful missions meaning more rising the ranks. The Grand Master is an assassin themselves, which means they've survived long enough to become the highest rank in the organization. Which means, do not gently caress with them. Now, onto the temples themselves, and a little of what we can expect from them.

Vindicare Temple
Our very first group to join the squad who, as we have seen, are expert snipers. Some have been known to wait for years in the same spot just to take out a single target. Most end their missions with a single bullet, but can also fight groups. One story has a Vindicare assassin halting an entire Eldar assault by themselves from a concealed and protected position within a tower overlooking the battlefield. When scouts finally managed to enter the building, they quickly found the entire place ready to blow with grenade traps.

Vindicare assassins are known for cutting off everything unnecessary from the mission. Even their vocabulary is limited to only the words most necessary for their missions, and have 0 attachment to anyone else. The variety of ammunition their exitus rifles can use allows them to take out any target necessary in the field. They all wear masks which are able to scan whatever they might need to scan from far, far away, along with monitoring communication channels. It even has cartridges of food and water installed inside which can be fed directly to the assassin, which is how they can accomplish their extraordinarily long watches over a single area alone. And of course, they have a stealth suit too in order to hide themselves.

Now, onto the temples we won't be seeing in this game.

Venenum Temple
The most obviously named temple. They love poisons, and especially love making their own. Rarely do they ever even leave a trace of the target dying from poison either. They had a larger amount of success in the Horus Heresy, but are still around today.

Vanus Temple
Spies as well as assassins, their members are known as infocytes. Human computers essentially, able to predict and gather information at an extraordinary rate. Supposedly they've never made a mistake in their calculations, but they're also well known for making propaganda, so take that with a grain of salt. Rarely do they ever get deployed in the field, instead taking in piles upon piles of information like an addict their favored drug. Their preferred methods are gathering information and then using it against their targets, never even having to get their hands dirty as their propaganda gets their targets killed instead. There are Unbond Infocytes however, those who choose to do the dirty work themselves along with gathering information, and are equipped with more typical weaponry from the Assassinorum.

Adamus Temple
The supposed oldest of all temples, known for one thing and one thing only: chopping off heads. They may even go back to the Dark Age of Technology in terms of age. Their main method of assassination is through studying their enemy's fighting styles, their strengths, their weaknesses, then using the nemesii blade they wield to chop off their head in a single blow.

Maeorus Temple
A now extinct temple. While the average assassin is meant to kill a single target, the Maeorus were meant to kill many, many, many targets. This was through a constant evolution, which was achieved through an equally large amount of very illegal modifications and testing from xenos sources. The first, and last, Maeorus assassin very quickly went rogue and hid on a planet while being hunted by her fellow assassins. A millennium followed of her hiding and causing havoc, while the assassinorum slowly drove the planet more and more into chaos. This was in order to secretly create a war on the planet to drive out the rogue assassin and kill her, but an Imperial Fist captain managed to do the deed himself. The imperial fists, safe to say, were very mad at the assassinorum for getting a whole bunch of them killed just to try and fix their own mistake.

As a final note, the Maeorus assassin in question was able to confront a Space Marine Captain, a squad of Assault Marines and 1st Company Veterans, the Imperial Fists Chapter's Emperor's Champion and a Grand Master of the Culexus Temple, while dodging fire from a Scout Squad and Grand Master Skult of the Vinidcare Temple, all at the same time. The Culexus Master was killed, along with many, many of the Imperial Fists. Think Alex Mercer from Prototype on Super Space Steroids.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024

FoolyCharged posted:

So a space marine ship that carries a fraction of the full chapter carries a number of soldiers equal to 50 times the number of marines in the entire chapter?

Sci fi numbers, ladies and gentlemen.

The vast, vast, vast, vast, vast majority of humans in the imperium serve one of two purposes. As one tiny gear within the war machine that can easily be crushed within and then replaced, or a speck of dirt struggling to stay alive in a society that only has a bunch of other dirt specks happy to stab them in the back to get a piece of bread.

The grey knights we play as very likely were taken from one of the many black ships. Vessels which serve no other purpose than grabbing up all the psykers there are, then ship them to Terra to be used as fuel to keep the emperor's corpse going. And then a lot of them die before they even finish training, mostly due to how they're forced through horrific tests meant to ensure they won't fall to chaos later on. Then they get turned into a living war machine that turns chaos into corpses, and spend the rest of their long, long life doing nothing but fighting to keep the Imperium safe.

Warhammer 40k is not a fun place to live unless you're near the top of the pile of endless corpses, and even then you can usually be crushed like a bug under an even bigger pile of corpses.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024

By popular demand posted:

That's often a class/wealth thing for the dregs of RT ship dregs: if you can work in dangerous fields such as the ship's armed forces you get some actual accommodations and such, possibly climbing the ladder to less-faceless-cog.
plenty of people just inhabit the more remote spaces in the ship, gathering water condensation and hunting rats. those guys are of course much more likely to gradually devolve to mutation and chaos and RTs often send groups of trigger happy murder junkies devout redemptionists to burn the worst of it.

Well, sometimes when you're pulling weeds out of the garden, you may accidentally kill a few dozen members of the underclass. No, that wasn't a metaphor. Gardening in 40k is dangerous.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024
Still watching the video, but love learning how apparently Vakir just happened to be where the ship showed up at due to some good predictions and vague instructions by the Ordo. Imagine the awkward conversation between the Grey Knights and her as she tries to figure out who the gently caress she just wound up meeting.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024
Episode 6 - Spirits in the Machines
This time I'm going to be going into a little bit of what our resident techpriest was talking about, and in general one of the core beliefs of the Adeptus Mechanicus.

So what is a machine spirit? In reality, it just refers to all the bits inside of a machine that makes it 'think' and act autonomously from human users. While they shouldn't be able to think and enhance themselves, to seperate them from Abominable Intelligences, in practice this rule is very... loose.

The mechanicus certainly believe in their emotions and independence. The rituals done to consecrate and bless the machines they craft are also done so as to tame the machine spirit within. The pilots of Imperial Titans and Knights have to go through intense taming rituals for their machine soirits, known for their particular strength. They even go so far as to merge with the machine, and by extension the machine spirit within.

These machine spirits can even be corrupted, just like everything else can, by chaos. And when it comes to Xenos tech, theirs is generally considered to not have a machine spirit, and is thus heretical.

On a final note, there are cases of machine spirits showcasing their intelligence. A land raider known as Rynn's Might, a vehicle already known for it's powerful machine spirit, was able to continue waging war on a whole bunch of orks after all the crew were killed. It even managed to kill a warboss before finally being destroyed. The lightning fighter plane known as the Indomitable Spirit was said to have a stubborn and aggressive personality, developed over many years in service under various pilots. When it was captured by the Blood Pact, a chaos cult, it ended up crashing itself into the ground rather than shoot down an imperial aircraft. Rest in peace, Indomitable Spirit.

Solarium fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 30, 2024

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean I don’t think the Iron Warriors got a triumph or adoring crowds even before the Heresy.

That was one of the major reasons they rebelled. Their whole thing is sieges, so they were always sent to the longest, most grueling and awful battlefields that had sieges lasting for years and years. And nobody ever even gave them a pat on the head for it. Imagine every trope of a soldier not being appreciated for ehat they did during the war, except these guys had to deal with it for centuries.

That and they really hated the Imperial Fists, who eere their opposites. Everyone loves a good story of surviving a siege, which was exactly what the Fists did. They built stuff up while the Warriors broke it down. And they got tons of recognition for it, while the Warriors got nothing.

Pretty much all the traitor legions had decent reasons for being upset. But because of the structure of the Imperium and the Astartes, they had no way to change that. The emperor being a big dum dum with the Primarchs certainly didn't help. That made them all the easier to convert to Chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024
Episode 7 - Exterminatus Extremis

This episode's mission took place on a planet that was supposedly exterminatused, but still had plenty of standing buildings. Is that possible? Well... maybe?

Exterminatus is, as discussed already, an authority given to higherups in the Imperium, granting them the opportunity to wipe out any and all life on a planet. This is usually to wipe out an infestation of either Chaos or Xenos who are just too difficult to remove the conventional way. This is an option usually used with plenty of caution, for obvious reasons. Nobody wants to go around wiping out the actually important planets.

As for who can order Exterminatus, any Inquisitor, Space Marine Chapter Master, Lord High Admiral, or Lord Commander can do so, but obviously there are people reviewing those prders who may get a little mad if they get overzealous with it. The Ordo Excorum specifically is the group overseeing all Dxterminatus orders as a subset of the Inquisition. Each group has their own preferred ways of doing an Exterminatus. The Nacy loves their orbital bombardments, Space Marines teleport down to leave a present in the form of a giant gently caress off bomb, and the Inquisition gets lots of fun toys to play with which we'll be talking about next.

Onto the question of the hour: would the planet the mission was on still have standing structures? Lets look at some common methods of Exterminatus to decide. This list is going off of all those listed on the Lexicanum page.

Nuclear weapons: I feel like this one is self explanatory. It's also the one I feel most likely was used on the planet our brave Grey Knights visited, as it would cause the destruction we see on the buildings but not require a total destruction. After all, you have the radiation to kill everything off after that point.

Cyclonic torpedos: Another category of weaponry, this time being a favorite of those who declare Exterminatus. There's a large variety of methods used to create Cyclonic torpedos, but I'll quote the lexicanum for their effects

Lexicanum posted:

Whatever their method of destruction, the effect of cyclonic torpedoes is the same: the complete destruction of all life on the planet, its atmosphere burned away in a storm of fire and its oceans boiled to vapour, leaving it a barren rock.

And that's only the one stage torpedos. Two stage cyclonic torpedos burrow into the planet first, before shattering it from the inside. These ones are a bit toooo destructive, both varieties, so I doubt they were used here. They're so dangerous that the imperial forces aren't allowed to use it, only Inquisition and Space Marines.

Magna-Torpedos: This one has sadly little description I could find, other than 'planet breaking'. So I'm pretty sure it's another extra excessive one.

Virus Bombs: As the name implies, they drop massive destructive viruses onto a planet in order to kill everything there. Everything. Nothing that you could call alive will escape. One variety in particular is known as the "Life-Eater Virus". It can spread across the surface of a planet within minutes, and kill all of it. The rapid death causes a build up of flammable gas, which is then ignired and scorches the entire planet to nothing but rock. Another option I would discredit. It's just not destructive enough to the architecture, as ee saw plenty of broken buildings, and it was described as an orbital bombardment.

Atmospheric incinerator torpedo: Guess.

Mortalis Atmospheric Missile: Our final variety of Exterminatus. These use a special chemical called Phosphex to completely cover a planet. Think Greek Fire on space steroids, able to burn anything, anywhere. The residue lasts longer and sticks around more than radiation from nuclear bombs. A tech priest who discovered an STC describing how to make it destroyed it, not wanting something so cruel unleashed on the Galaxy. For his crime he was declared as a heretic, and burned at the stake by a phosphoenix. An ancient weapon which shoots Phosphex. The gun used is now a holy relic for the Adeptus Mechanicum.

In conclusion: the planet the Grey Knights just went to probably just got nuked a ton. That's the best balance between destructibility, but not tooo much destructibility to create the scene they find filled with Nurgle.