Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Cooked Auto posted:

The best one being from the first Inquisitor War novel. Where the sound is described as RAARK-pop-SWOOSH-thud-CRUMP.

Also one of those books who says it has no recoil.

the Inquisition War books are fascinating, and also half of the Black Library's output was dedicated to invalidating anything ever written in them for pretty good reasons

at the intersection of 40K and Horny Author there lies a great darkness. shame, the joke at the end of them is genuinely a great 40K moment.

for the uninitiated: after having spent the entire last book trying to ressurect his assassin waifu, Our Hero, having succeeded, is -IMMEDIATELY- reduced to flesh-ribbons by the ressurected assassin because she thinks she's still in the fight that killed her and has had an illusion thrown at her to distract her, and she then hauls rear end off into the Webway to try to finish the fight.

the watching Squat and Imperial Fist say "Well, that was about the best outcome possible. So, want to go off and have adventures literally anywhere else?"

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Groetgaffel posted:

And our boss here is also stingy with the wargear because there's thousands of situations over the galaxy all at once that requires grey knight attention. So there's competition for the good stuff.
So Kai's job is a bit of handing out the best stuff to where it's the most useful, and also make sure we're not dumbasses that would waste it.

and as far as he's concerned you are basically malingering. there is a point at which it is his job to say "Commander, please arrange an accident for the Inquisitor and get back to work," and a point not far past that where he says "Leave this room, shoot the inquisitor in the head, set course as you have been directed, and have your explanation for why you hadn't done so already REALLY GOOD by the time you get here."

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Seyser Koze posted:

performers take lovely roles all the time, it's how you pay the bills

the era of "enunciate as clearly as possible and get zero voice direction" was a harsh one

mudcrabs. awful creatures. be seeing you

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Kurieg posted:

Rogue Trader ships are depicted as being so large that the lower depths of them sometimes develop entire societies that are completely alien to that of the more civilized upper decks, just by dint of literal physical distance.

there is a good random warp travel event in the Owlcat Rogue Trader game where, courtesy of a warp spasm, you, the Rogue Trader, wake up in a lovely hammock somewhere in the bowels of the ship, having swapped places with some random menial.

depending on how you do on a skill check you may be beaten savagely for slacking off on work and stealing some nobles clothes before you manage to escape, because the last time anyone down here even saw a junior officer was a couple of generations ago

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Solarium posted:

Well, sometimes when you're pulling weeds out of the garden, you may accidentally kill a few dozen members of the underclass. No, that wasn't a metaphor. Gardening in 40k is dangerous.

some savants have suggested that using five-hundred-pound charges for pest control purposes may be 'excessive' and 'not even very good at getting rid of pests' but if it was good enough for Lord Militant Dyslexia Dyspepsia it's good enough for you

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

wiegieman posted:

Of course they do. They're worth more.

Darktide, the 40K left4deadlike, features you as the Imperium's version of this game's chaos cultists, working under an Inquisitor. very, very under. under enough that the highest you can aspire to is "maybe the Inquisitor will hear your name some day in a report from one of his subordinates." they recently added Enginseer Kayex, the ship's you're aboard''s chief engineer, to the roster of named people who may listen in and comment on your mission. his preferred way of referring to you is "pre-servitors."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
useless trivia: the term "tractor beam" was a sci-fi-ism of the oldest and most venerable type, "take a description of what it does and then cut off a superfluous syllable"

attractor beam -> tractor beam, android ->droid, gravity gun ->gravy gun