Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

The Biden administration is kicking off another student loan forgiveness process. Goons who are eligible can get up to $20k in goonbucks.

Cancelling Runaway Interest:

quote:

More than 25 million borrowers owe more than they originally borrowed, including many who have made years of payments, due to the interest rates on Federal student loans. President Biden will announce plans that, if finalized as proposed, would cancel up to $20,000 of the amount a borrower’s balance has grown due to unpaid interest on their loans after entering repayment, regardless of their income. Low and middle-income borrowers enrolled in the SAVE plan or any other income-driven repayment (IDR) plan would be eligible for the entire amount their balance has grown since entering repayment to be canceled under the Administration’s plans. This group of borrowers includes single borrowers who earn $120,000 or less and married borrowers who earn $240,000 or less. No application will be needed for borrowers to receive this relief if the plan is implemented as proposed.

Automatically canceling debt for borrowers eligible for loan forgiveness under SAVE, PSLF, closed school discharge, or other forgiveness programs but not enrolled

quote:

Today, the Administration is proposing to automatically cancel debt for borrowers otherwise eligible for relief through the SAVE plan, Public Service Loan Forgiveness, or other forgiveness opportunities like closed school loan discharges but who have not successfully applied for that assistance.

Under SAVE, borrowers who originally took out $12,000 or less in loans and have been in repayment for 10 years are eligible to get their remaining debt canceled. For every additional $1,000 in loans they took out (up to $21,000 total for undergraduate loans and $26,000 total for graduate loans), a borrower is eligible for relief after an additional year of repayment. For example, if a borrower took out $13,000 in loans, they would be eligible for debt cancellation after 11 years in repayment.

Under Public Service Loan Forgiveness, borrowers in public service for 10 years who have made 120 months of qualifying payments can get their remaining student debt canceled.

Canceling student debt for borrowers who enrolled in low-financial-value programs

quote:

Today, President Biden is announcing his Administration’s plans that, if finalized as proposed, would cancel student debt for loans associated with institutions or programs that lost their eligibility to participate in the Federal student aid program or were denied recertification because they cheated or took advantage of students. Further, borrowers who attended institutions or programs that closed and failed to provide sufficient value— for example that leave graduates with unaffordable loan payments or earnings no better than what someone with a high school diploma earns— would be eligible for relief under this proposal.

Canceling student debt for borrowers who entered repayment over 20 years ago

quote:

The Administration’s new proposals, if finalized as proposed, would cancel student debt for borrowers who first entered repayment 20 or more years ago. Borrowers with only undergraduate debt would qualify for forgiveness if they first entered repayment 20 years ago (on or before July 1, 2005), and borrowers with any graduate school debt would qualify if they first entered repayment 25 or more years ago (on or before July 1, 2000). Both Direct Loans and Direct Consolidation Loans that repay only undergraduate study or graduate study for 20 or 25 years respectively are eligible for relief in this proposal. Borrowers would not need to be on an income-driven repayment plan to qualify.

Canceling student debt for borrowers experiencing hardship paying back their loans

quote:

The Administration’s plan for student debt relief will also include a plan that would cancel student debt for borrowers experiencing hardship in their daily lives that prevents them from fully paying back their loans now or in the future.

:siren: Important Reason to Get in Early (if possible) :siren:

Even in a worst case scenario Supreme Court ruling, the court won't be able to compel them to reclaim disbursed funds, even if they decide to rule against it as hard as possible, but they can prevent it from happening again. That makes it important to get in as early as possible just in case the Supreme Court decides to shut it down and go as far as possible with the ruling.

You can check the announcement page here for all of the details:
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...administration/

Other Important Information:

- If you have made any recent payments, you can request a full refund for them. Just call your loan servicer. They are legally required to work with you.

Frequently Asked Questions:

- Is this about the election? Yes

----
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1777494136670577026

Woke Mind Virus has issued a correction as of 22:01 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

reserved

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

:gas: and ban op

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Never went to college

stupid libs

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

NeonPunk posted:

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

NeonPunk posted:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

lyin' woke mind virus

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
not gonna make this mistake again

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

NeonPunk posted:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Absolutely pissing themselves over how few people starting making payments over the last year.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

NeonPunk posted:

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Al! posted:

not gonna make this mistake again

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

nope, not going to get my hopes up this time, you fucks

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Very excited to see Sleepy Joe completely reneg on this latest promise just in time for the general election. He’s banking on youngs trying to kick the football again I guess.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Where is the relief for people who’s parents paid their way through an elite private school?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Where is the relief for people who’s parents paid their way through an elite private school?

-every media commentator on this plan

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

NeonPunk posted:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

NeonPunk posted:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Joe Biden pandering to the coastal elites will not save him come election time

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Weka posted:

it just might. if he spends from now until election day pandering and making promises he won't keep, a big part of the electorate will return to the fold.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Weka posted:

This isn't about the election it's about the looming student default crisis. Nothing they have done has changed the fact that still people can't pay back those loans.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

This isn't about the election

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

updated the FAQ. lots of push back here but if one single goon gets their goon bucks then it's a success imo.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I hate reruns

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Woke Mind Virus posted:

updated the FAQ. lots of push back here but if one single goon gets their goon bucks then it's a success imo.

I have reported you for disseminating hitlerite propaganda

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

i know we all like twitter embeds so here's the announcement

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1562462774969581570

edit: sorry wrong one
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1777494136670577026

Woke Mind Virus has issued a correction as of 22:01 on Apr 9, 2024

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The only student loan program I support are called unpaid internships

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my wife already had her loans forgiven so i am not interested

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I simply paid mine off. Perhaps try that

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Wow did he forget to ask scrotus

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Woke Mind Virus posted:

Yeah it's fine keep it up.

Biden can go gently caress himself

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

grad school loans shouldnt be forgiven. those people should be punished for being stupid.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
smdh students partying and wasting the taxpayers money

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

post hole digger posted:

grad school loans shouldnt be forgiven. those people should be punished for being stupid.

Nah just forgive it all

Except for dental students, gently caress em

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Need this old manwhore to suck my homo schlong

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

One geezer tug=one vote

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

This is the exact same stunt as the midterm lmao dickhead owes me like $40,600 now

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

Nah just forgive it all

Except for dental students, gently caress em

we are offsetting the lost profits of undergrad debt forgiveness by doubling the amount grad students owe.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

if Biden wipes my entire $50k in student loan debt i'll consider voting for him (ultimately won't because he's a genocidal piece of poo poo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Debt forgiveness?! As someone whose prudent fiscal responsibility has allowed me to be debt-free for over 20 years, I intend to cry, poo poo my pants, then demand uppies from mommy