Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Very excited to see Sleepy Joe completely reneg on this latest promise just in time for the general election. He’s banking on youngs trying to kick the football again I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

PoundSand posted:

^the quarter is for a maried household, it's half that for an individual (well 120 and 240 not an even quarter mill it's just an obvious rounding)

Like don't get me wrong I think the bare minimum is abolishing any acrued and all future interest on student loans, education should be free in the first place, it just seems extra broke brained to make a cutoff at a point where someone could legit afford to be paying 5k/mo on their loans and still have an annual takehome higher than the median income in the US. It's like they put that figure in there specifically to piss off random people who hear about the legislation and are already prone to being reactionary about giving college educated people a handout.

The most anti-forgiveness people I know personally either didn’t go to college, got a degree like forty years ago or more, or had their parents/the government foot the bill entirely. I had one sicko on Twitter brag about how he lived like a poor person for ten years and ate nothing but rice and beans and paid off all his loans “like a man”, but I’m skeptical. The cutoff is dumb and arbitrary and won’t placate any of these people.