Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Have you ever reread an old thread on SA from back before the world ended? It's weird. The way we used to talk before we normalized doom and gloom. It's a bizarre reflection of a better us that skewed off into a happier timeline. I went back to reread Jastiger's CSAM-defending flameout because I couldn't believe I was remembering the details correctly because it all just seemed so stupid, and man. We didn't know how good we had it. Trump had only been in office for a couple really big scandals at that point. There was just a freedom in the conversation of having not yet been conditioned to expect the next peril. That seems so distant and foreign. That Jastiger meltdown was 7 years ago, but it feels like an age away now.

Anyway, glad we're rid of that guy. loving creep.

Anyone else experienced this strange disconnect in the vibe between now and then when reading an old thread, or looked at an old email, or letter, or a picture and feel somewhat disconnected between the sensibilities of then compared to now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
things are great

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
You'll love this old rear end TCC thread, OP.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Thanks LCGPT

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Take it to the forums drama thread bucko

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Sorry I don't really know what's happening.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

This is true, and you know what's even funnier? Before 9/11.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

don't be mean to the OP he's just chilling for those couple hours before he can bring his groceries in from the garage

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

God bless us. We thought that a football player murdering his wife and her boyfriend and the President getting a blowie were something to get up in arms about. That is so cute. That is just so precious.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

February 2020, I shut down this client, a sad sad story.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I didn't post with a mask and I still don't.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

redshirt posted:

This is true, and you know what's even funnier? 9/11.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The Bible posted:

I didn't post with a mask and I still don't.

Reported for chuddiness

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 18 days!)

i dunno stuff seems kind of the same

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

It’s pretty much the same except theres less slurs posted here now.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

redshirt posted:

This is true, and you know what's even funnier? 9/11.

https://youtu.be/--bIyenPc20?si=tMxNL1ACpnJtxiLp

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
2017 sucked

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Chrs posted:

It’s pretty much the same except theres less slurs posted here now.

But it's worse outside, due to the law of conservation of slurs

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

STABASS posted:

2017 sucked

That'd make such a badass tattoo.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

roomtone posted:

i dunno stuff seems kind of the same

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
When I joined in 2012 I felt the same way reading posts from like 05'
Wildly different

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Agent Smith was right: Humanity peaked in 1999

ExtraQuiet
Apr 25, 2016

by Shine
its super interesting seeing the megathreads shift. not the ones focused on or related to the subject itself, but adjacent threads.

I remember reading the goldmine and for some reason there was a poo poo ton of wrestling threads. curious as to why they were gold, i checked em out and you can always tell the moment when it happens without reading the postdate.

another fun one is the cannabis thread, its about a 100 page span from when it happens to 2022 but an absolutely interesting journey of people suddenly being cut off from the outside world.

i would imagine there was some good stuff related to cooking too. probably some art threads also that were 10 pages over 15 years and suddenly saw a bunch of interaction from people that would normally never post.

id honestly be interested if anyone knows of any gems that saw the side effects

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
It’ll be even crazier when we get the internet working again and read this thread from before the avian flu killed 60% of us. Please note that I say something like this every time we get the bird flu in the US.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

yea man were all just glooming doomers and the worlds like accelerating towards epic heat death elemayo

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

In 2014 I convinced myself there was going to be a nuclear war by 2018, so I was pretty chipper about the whole global pandemic

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
it was really funny seeing the change from gbs 1.0 to gbs 2.0 because so much weird dumb poo poo that tried to get carried over was immediately shut down. people were allowed to say things like the christmas advent calendar thing sucked rear end

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

cumpantry posted:

yea man were all just glooming doomers and the worlds like accelerating towards epic heat death elemayo

at least Brendan Fraser won an Oscar for playing a great big fat person

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
whats worse; snatter or trmup?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Smugworth posted:

at least Brendan Fraser won an Oscar for playing a great big fat person

And people were really mad because he stole that role that should have been played by a genuine Obese-American (also known as an American).

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

COVID threads were and still are consistently the funniest threads on the forum from a gorilla-in-a-cage standpoint. There are people on the forums who are still posting videos of themselves wearing like clean room hoods and poo poo while going to Albertson's for food. COVID actually broke some brains pretty hardcore and that's always the best content when it comes to goons.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Toxic Mental posted:

COVID actually broke some brains pretty hardcore and that's always the best content when it comes to goons.

If you leave your home without a mask you are literally killing the immunocompromised! The virus is still out there!

Won't anyone think of the immunocompromised?

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
a week and a half ago i got covid for a second time and it was a billion times worse than the first time around. didn't last as long tho

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

AcidCat posted:

If you leave your home without a mask you are literally killing the immunocompromised! The virus is still out there!

Won't anyone think of the immunocompromised?

My dad is immunocompromised and covid didn’t kill him. He’s got idiopathic hypogammaglobulinemia which is way more syllables than any of my diagnoses so I have to respect that.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Heat death is such a cool concept, though. Space is so spread out there's only a random atom every hundreds of millions of square kilometers. poo poo is empty and vast....

What is reality at that point? There is almost no energy left.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

redshirt posted:

Heat death is such a cool concept, though. Space is so spread out there's only a random atom every hundreds of millions of square kilometers. poo poo is empty and vast....

Over a long enough timespan we all eventually come back as Boltzmann Brains complete with consciousness and memories from our current consciousness anyways. In that sense we're effectively immortal so when you die you'll probably just lose consciousness and then immediately "wake up" a zillion million billion years later for an instant of Planck time lengths occasionally in the empty void for the rest of eternity. Sounds pretty chill since you get to live forever but also not have to sit in space trapped to do nothing for 10^10000000000000000000 years or whatever. Just kind of popping in and out of existence. That's kind of comforting.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

redshirt posted:

Space is so spread out there's only a random atom every hundreds of millions of square kilometers. poo poo is empty and vast....

If you stare into that particular void too long remind yourself that the emptiness itself means that it won't matter - in this reality, it can't matter, not when even memories will be gone.

The last few years broke a lot of brains. People have given up their faith in human leadership at the exact same time someone built the next wave of eliza and I honestly don't know if society as a whole will resist the temptation to hand the reigns to their new computer god.

The only thing that matters at this point, the only reason to be alive at all, is to enjoy life as much as you can while trying to improve it for others.

Don't give in to the doomerism. No matter how painful the world has become and how much worse it may get, the only moral choice is joy

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 11, 2024

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Sentient Data posted:

Don't give in to the doomerism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I wonder what all the goons who autobanned mid 2020 upon realizing lowtax sucks rear end and always sucked rear end all along are doing now