Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
This strategy RPG follows the story of a blue-haired sword-wielding prince of a fallen kingdom who leaves the idyllic island he was raised on with five followers to his name to strike back against the evil empire ruling the continent with an iron fist. No, I'm not talking about Marth Fire Emblem or about any game from the Fire Emblem series. We will instead be playing Vanillaware's Unicorn Overlord (NSW/PS4/PS5/XBox).

Released in March of 2024, UO is Vanillaware's take on a SRPG. For a veteran Fire Emblem player, it will ring many bells and scratch many itches, being an anime game with a large cast from the same genre that has more than a few passing similarities. It has a heavy focus on the strategy part, with the cast being more than interesting enough to make you care about at least a few of them as characters in addition to whatever sick kill count they can rack up over the course of the game. If you like Fire Emblem, you'll probably also like Unicorn Overlord. Dare I say it, I might even like Unicorn Overlord's plot better than I like that of your baseline Fire Emblem.

Enough about the plot. Gameplaywise, how does Unicorn Overlord differ from Fire Emblem?

You have a map with objectives and enemies, and recruit playable characters who have not just classes and skills, but their own distinct places in and relationships with the setting (hirable generics aside). Aside from that, Unicorn Overlord tosses the grid-based map gameplay and permadeath out. Battles are waged with units of up to five characters, and your management of unit formations and characters' skills and equipment can—alongside the whims of the RNG—make a hell of a difference in outcomes. Every map plays out in semi-live time* and has a time limit for you to complete the map objective. The game also has an overworld where you can buy weapons and wares, see Support Rapport Conversations between your characters, mine, gather materials, and help rebuild war-ravaged towns with said materials.

As for how all this poo poo works? Bear with me, I'll do my damndest to explain it to the best of my ability.
*you can hit the pause button and deliberate as many times as you want and as long as you want, so in practice you'll be taking far longer than one, two, three minutes to finish a map

What opportunities for reader interaction will there be?

After an inflection point there will be more characters on my roster than there will be slots available for them, and you will be able to pick who gets cut for each map. Aside from that, the game has plenty of "Kill/Spare" choices and I'll outsource these decisions to you as they come.

Spoilers?

please don't, or at least keep it behind spoiler tags if you really have to pop off about it

THAT HAVING BEEN SAID a lot of the aforementioned choices have story and gameplay ramifications long or even immediately after you make them, so make of that what you will

Table of Contents

Prologue: The Fall of Fevrith
The Unicorn Ring
A Call to Action: Part 1 | Part 2
Intermission 1: The Overworld
A Solitary Resistance: Part 1 | :siren: Part 2 :siren:

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

reserved

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Prologue: The Fall of Fevrith

Opening Cinematic

Now let’s begin the cycle anew…

The Fall of Fevrith
…and go straight out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Onto a castle besieged…

I beg you, my queen. Take leave of this place while you’re still able.

To where, I might ask? Nigh every last of Cornia’s lords has forsaken us in favor of the traitor Valmore. No refuge remains for a crowned fugitive. Yet the general seeks my death, and mine alone. I shall not flee from that fate.

Take him, Josef, Raise that delicate seedling into a sturdy tree capable of weathering the harsh climes that await.

Pay attention to that blue ring. It’s no mere trinket; you’ll see plenty of it by the time this is all over and done with.

Hold it close to you until Alain is a man grown. He will have need of the power it bears.

My queen, I…

Are they coming for us?

Heed well these words, Alain. I say this not as your mother, but as your queen. From here forth, you’re to treat Josef’s command as though it were spoken directly with my tongue. Do you understand?

Of course, but… Is there something amiss?

*Ilenia doesn’t answer that one.*

Farewell, and may the heavens guide you.

Why are you just standing there, Josef? Aren’t you going to help her?

Would that I were able, my prince.
Come. We’ve not a minute to spare.

You’ll find my head not so easily parted from my shoulders, Valmore. I wonder if you can say the same.

Come, everyone. We march this day for Her Majesty Ilenia!

And with that, time for some actual gameplay!

Four separate characters move to Ilenia’s space on the map; that is to say, the unit assembles, with Ilenia as its leader, and we will be briefly in control of her five-man unit. Only very rarely will you see a solo character as its own standalone unit in this game.

You select your unit and then a destination for said unit, whether it’s an empty, directly-adjacent piece of dirt or an enemy unit all the way on the other side of the map. The game will automatically map out your unit’s path and you will have a chance to confirm.
In this case, the path mapped out will take Ilenia’s unit to Valmore’s, to the south, via the west.

Your units will be detected by any enemy unit(s) whose range you enter, and will have to fight any enemy units they come across en route to their target. Now, Ilenia has a full unit of 5 and is engaging an enemy unit of 3. Now for the first battle of the game…

As you just saw in painstaking detail, battles in UO are a back-and-forth between two units until one of two outcomes occurs: either has been annihilated, or both have exhausted their Action Points (the red diamonds) and Passive Points (the blue diamonds). So each individual battle would require a ton of screens to fully document, and doing so would make every update unreadably long once we get to large maps with high enemy density and wherein both the player and the enemy have 5 characters per unit, for every unit! Once we’re out of tutorial mode I’ll just be showing particular highlights or what certain characters are capable of, or just general method behind my madness.

After beating that first enemy unit, Ilenia’s unit’s stamina drops from 6 to 5, and she continues on the path to Valmore, effortlessly eviscerating another scrub squad on the way.

And since this is our last opportunity to do so: let’s take in these names, the loyal few who were the last to stand by Ilenia as Cornia fell. The queen herself has a huge death flag hanging over her head, but who knows? Perhaps this isn’t the last we’ll see of the rest of her entourage. Anyway, once Ilenia’s unit reaches Valmore’s…

literally Ilenia: :fuckoff:

Enlighten me, Valmore. To what end do you seek to usurp my throne?

Self-centered fool. It’s not merely your throne I aspire towards–it’s all of them. Zenoira are the rightful sovereigns of Fevrith, and I, the blade to restore our world to its natural order.

You seek to plunge the continent into war? Hmph. Fevrith need not suffer your delusions.

A proper ruler demands unity, not pointless politicking with insufferable neighbors. Now… I shall achieve that unity through conquest, and reclaim that which is rightfully mine.

Whether this outcome was preordained or not, let’s not forget the point of Ilenia’s last stand:

I promise you, my queen, the royal lineage shall endure. ‘Tis but a great shame I couldn’t aid you further…

Josef is fleeing, and even though he’s doing so at his queen’s behest, to protect and raise her son, you can already tell that his taking flight will gently caress him up something fierce for the rest of his days.

:rip: Ilenia :smith: and that sure is an evil wizard and (knowing my Fire Emblems) probable mastermind we have here

And yet our work only just begins. We stand now at a new dawn for Fevrith. One which will see Zenoira’s dominion restored at last. Curious, though, that we’ve no trace of the old knight’s captain.

About that, my lord. A lone cavalry unit was spotted riding through the eastern gate before it was barred.

…Then the boy is lost to us, a truth obscured only by his mother’s futile attempt at a counteroffensive. It would seem I underestimated her penchant for deception.

stood unshirking as the shield to her son Alain’s safe flight–
and mustering what meager forces remained by her side, she rallied a defense as valorous as it was damned.

Embers of resistance burned on,
yet the downtrodden could cling only to furtive hopes of liberation–
desperate prayers which fell upon deaf ears night after unceasing night.

this all seems pretty bad tbh! What will our runaway prince, now in his late teens, do about it? What CAN he do about it?

…Follow and find out!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 13, 2024

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I had a lot of fun with the game and I do look forward to seeing how everyone reacts to it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The art for this isn't bad, but for some reason whenever I see it, especially in motion, it keeps looking like browser game ad trailers to me. I'm not sure what makes me my brain draw that connection.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
So far this feels like the bastard child of Fire Emblem and Ogre Battle. Very interested to see how the mechanics click together.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

The art for this isn't bad, but for some reason whenever I see it, especially in motion, it keeps looking like browser game ad trailers to me. I'm not sure what makes me my brain draw that connection.

I can recognize some Vanillaware aesthetics but compared to something like Muramasa this combines with Generic Euroesque Fire Emblem to just look like something that youtube seems to think that I want to care about when I'm watching on mobile and they're not trying to get me to invest in crypto.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've actually been very on the fence about whether or not I want to get this game so you have perfect timing

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I hear the game's been going on sale fairly often as of late for $40 at Best Buy or whatnot, on both the Switch and PS. I had to wait a good while before I got my copy because physical copies were sold out at the time I'd placed my order. It definitely seems to have pretty broad popular appeal and if you're at all interested and have that SRPG itch to scratch, then by all means shoot your shot.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Man, this game feels like it should be right up my alley, but I bounced super hard off the demo. I just do not like the gameplay loop at all, so it'll be interesting to see what I missed out on.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
There's a few styles of SRPG's, and the only one I really don't like is the Ogre Battle type. Too much time watching, not enough doing stuff

Calamitous_Justice
Feb 21, 2011
I made it a few hours into this one and yeah while gorgeous it felt a little simple on the standard difficulty - the tactics configuration and unit combinations you can put together are beautifully complex, but simple, effective squads are enough for most combats in content I played, which made it a bit dull. Honestly my favorite part remains the spritework, but I also can see it being a great candidate for SSLPing since you can cut out all of the downtime and tedious configuration, so I'll be eagerly following and appreciate your effort in playing through it.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Yeah, this game is really an Ogre Battle game in different clothes more than Fire Emblem although it does take some elements from FE.

It's been a long time since i've played a Ogre Battle though so that's nice.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
Hell yeah, this game is awesome. Super excited to see an LP of it!!!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This game slaps incredibly, except it's got this thing where, it starts off really good, and then becomes really boring, and takes a while to get good again, but unlike certain other games famous for getting really good after 25 hours, this one starts ratcheting the quality up immediately but does it quite slowly instead of having a big dramatic opening up point. Also the rate at which your options expand is kinda inconsistent depending on where and how you explore so that's fun too, as I'm sure we'll be seeing first hand.

Pro tip if you're bored: crank the difficulty up to max. It's Vanillaware, super hard is basically normal. If you have any love at all for Leaning Into Your Bullshit you can have a hilarious time turning hard mode into easy.

The gambit system is back, baby. It's good again. Awrouuuu.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Will likely watch this until the end of the Demo content, where I'm at. Good game, and unlike the Ogre Battle games I played it seems to actually explain its mechanics.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

have not played Ogre Battle but hey, sounds like something for the bucket list once I'm through with this. and yeah I had to think long and hard about the gameplay loop and event pacing, especially pertaining to the overworld and exploration, and how to convey that.

anyway, I'm aiming for Sunday at ?? o'clock for the next update. That and recording another chunk of gameplay while I'm getting my joy-con issues worked out.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

looks cool, where are the unicorns tho?

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Fajita Queen posted:

looks cool, where are the unicorns tho?

There are no actual Unicorns, it's only thematic.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I keep reading the title as 'Unicorn Overload' and wondering how many unicorns you need to overload on them.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

This game is great and I can already tell i'm going to get whiplash from reading this LP and the Engage LP at the same time.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Looking forward to seeing your squad setups in the mid game, the diversity of possible loadouts and team compositions is nuts.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

I keep reading the title as 'Unicorn Overload' and wondering how many unicorns you need to overload on them.

For a while, I kept seeing "Unicron Overlord"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Game rules but it is weird not hearing Revolt play when doing Ogre Battle-like battles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN18vCy9a9E

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Libluini posted:

For a while, I kept seeing "Unicron Overlord"

Wouldn't that just be SRW with Transformers? :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

CommissarMega posted:

Wouldn't that just be SRW with Transformers? :v:

it also made the theme of the 80s movie start playing in my head whenever I read the title of this game :v:

could you believe how confusing it would be if Hasbro next brings out its cool new SRPG Unicron Overlord, followed by the Atlus-RPG Uni-Cron Overload?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is... the queen wearing a buckler on each elbow and swings around a metal board? :psyduck:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Obviously. :colbert: it's not just for show either, go look at her loadout screen again. She is genuinely dual wielding shields in-game.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hell loving yes she is

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

The Unicorn Ring Mk. 1
Whenever you see a screen like this, it means you’re in for a battle. You’ll get one chunk of cutscene before the battle and another after, and I’ll post them in sets of two accordingly.

Let’s fast forward ten years to Palevia, the island where Alain has been living in exile.

Well, that takes care of the altar. I suppose I should be getting back.

Ah, you always were the optimist.

The two have a short sparring match, at the end of which…

You got a good hit in, I’ll give you that. Phew, there’s just no stopping you these days.

Yet you’ve grown no less than I have. Still, we could likely train for the rest of our lives and even then, never manage to best Josef.

ehhhhh don’t sell yourself short there Alain

Weird to think he’s back on the mainland now. Finally making that Liberation Army thing a reality, huh? …Guess that means we’ll be going up against Zenoira soon.

Indeed it does. The people of Cornia are suffering, Lex. Crying out for whatever help will hear their pleas. Should I turn a deaf ear to those voices… I would have little and less claim to the crown I feel is mine. That, and I owe it to my mother to see them safe.

Well yeah, but… Zenoira’s got the whole world in the palm of their hand. How are we gonna fight back against that?

The earth may be theirs, but the heavens will surely favor those who stand for justice.

You got a point there. Sorry for not sounding all too confident. Just… make sure you don’t take it all on yourself. I’ll be with you every step of the way.

Thank you, Lex, You know I can’t do this without you.

Oh, stop. You’re gonna make me blush. Anyway, that’s enough training for today. We’re gonna miss lunch if we don’t get moving.

I suppose it is that time.
Hm?

You see something out there?

Looks like they’re flying Zenoira colors, too.

…This island is no longer safe. We have to tell the others.

You head for the cathedral. I’ll make sure the town knows what’s coming.

We sure are fortuitous that the imperial army has left this island alone for an entire decade. Still, now that they’re here, the boys have the right idea. Because the bad guys?

They move pretty fast.

Now that’s a familiar face, albeit with a red coat of paint now.

Dispatch the vanguard to the cathedral. And remember, we’re to apprehend the target alive!

Understood, ser!

O heavenly Father, ruler of land and sky above, we pray this day for deliverance from evil.
Grant us the meager sustenance to nourish our fragile bodies in the times to come.
Guide our lost souls on the path to salvation.
Shine down Your radiant light upon us, for darkness looms thick through all corners of Fevrith.
Such is my request as Your humble servant.
In the name of the guardian Unicorn, and that of the Holy Mother.

How many times must I ask you not to stomp around in the cathedral?

Rough her up if you want, but don’t forget: the girl dies and our heads will roll, too.

Such depravity will not go unpunished. Not in the house of the heavenly Father!

Yeah? Then you’d best get to praying.

She’s fast!

Not as fast as I!

What the– Grah!

Scarlett drops to her knees after Alain dispatches the intruders, at which point…

Only a little shaken, that’s all. What’s happening to us, Alain?

A ship has come ashore on Palevian soil. One hoisting the banner of the Zenoiran Army.

And… are they aware that you’re the crown prince?

I can’t say for certain. But we know one thing: these people are our enemy, and they must be stopped.

Hold the phone, has “the exiled crown prince is living here” even registered for the Zenoiran troops here? It seems they only had eyes for the priestess :iiam:

Yes. My cathedral will see no more bloodshed this day. Come, let’s move outside.

drat the past ten years have been rough on Josef

Your Highness. It’s a relief to see you unharmed.

Hold on. Where’s Lex?

He went ahead to alert the town. We’d best find him and get to the harbor.

Indeed… But first, my prince. This belongs to you.

A ring?

The Ring of the Unicorn. Queen Ilenia wished for you to have it. In truth, I had intended to wait till signs of age played moore deeply cross your face, but we no longer have such luxury. I have the utmost faith you’ll see it secured.

Well I can say this much: only rarely in this playthrough will Alain be unequipping this ring.

Thank you for this, Josef. Truly.

Make no further mention of it. Now, let us be off.

And off we go! Our command post is at the cathedral. If an enemy unit reaches our command post, it’s game over.

That gauge up in the upper left is Valor. Deploying a unit costs us one full point of valor, and we’ll do just that with Alain’s unit (with Scarlett directly behind him).

The game then prompts us to have Alain’s unit target the enemy mook’s, and the two units meet midway.

Now for a more in-depth explanation of the battle flow now that we have an actual battle instead of just Ilenia and co. stomping on a few hapless saps. Since Alain has the highest Initiative of everyone in the fight, he goes first. He expends his single AP to use his Lean Edge skill, almost taking out the Housecarl in the front line, after which the Housecarl retaliates by expending his single AP to attack Alain. Alain’s passive skill Noble Guard then triggers, reducing the damage he takes and expending his single PP.

Passive skills are reactive and automatic; they activate after a certain condition, or they can trigger either at the very start or end of a battle. Since that’s Scarlett’s one PP, she won’t be able to use Quick Heal again should Alain get hit again in this battle.
By the way, she has Quick Heal by dint of her accessory; some equippables come with skills attached.

The enemy Housecarls are both faster than Scarlett but slower than Alain, so the one in the rear guard gets the next action. He misses Alain, and Scarlett uses her 1AP to purge his buddy with Holy Light. But the surviving Housecarl has one PP outstanding…

…and smacks Alain, who procs a guard, with his Parting Blow skill.

We almost have them. Just one more push!

All characters in a unit gain Rapport at the conclusion of a battle. If neither unit went down, then the one with a lower percentage of its HP remaining is the loser. In this case, the enemy unit lost one of its guys and Alain was barely scratched, so… yeah. The loser will be knocked back and sent into a waiting state. Units who are waiting are immobile and sitting ducks for…

…a first strike, in which everyone in the attacking unit gets a round robin to uses their first active skill before the target can do anything. And in this case, the enemy’s defeat is fait accompli.

Good. All that remains now is to reclaim the town.

That’s where Lex headed, right? I hope he’s okay…

Whenever you win a fight, the valor gauge fills up a bit. It fills up more when you actually eliminate an enemy unit.

You get more valor by capturing enemy garrisons and, to boot, the unit capturing will regain stamina–and it tips Alain’s unit’s stamina back off at 6. Captured garrisons also serve as points you can launch undeployed units from.

Hey, uh… sorry about that. They caught me off guard there. But don’t worry. Everyone’s safe, I made sure of it.

I knew I was right to count on you. And I’m glad you’re unharmed as well.

Still wish I could’ve done more, though… Here, lemme scout out ahead to make up for it.

Yeah, well, uh, you can tell from the sprites that Lex is currently a one-man unit and the enemy units are all two-man. He only gets in one active skill, which lacks the firepower to straight up kill one of the enemy Housecarls. Both of them will thus get to use their active skill and will get to use Parting Blow at the end of the battle. The outcome is pretty obvious, right?

No… We’ll never make it in time!

Allow me, Your Highness.

Josef’s unit moves just so slightly south of where I deployed him. Now, both the enemy Housecarl unit Lex lost to and Josef’s unit will make for Lex’s position.

A unit's movement speed is determined by the characters comprising it, and needless to say, a unit with a horse in it will leave a pure infantry unit in the dust. It’s also affected by terrain type, and both infantry and cavalry units move faster on roads.

I am your foe this day. Prepare to be struck down.

Yeah, let’s do what the game is suggesting. Anyway, NOW the game makes us privy to battle forecasts. Their damage calculations account for everything. Whether an attack hits or misses? Whether a character might end the battle with more HP than they had at the start? Whether a critical hit lands? Whether someone guards against a hit and takes less damage than otherwise? Whatever status effects and/or debuffs come into play over the course of the battle? Whether a character goes down prematurely and won’t be inflicting all the damage or doing all the healing they otherwise would have? Hell, any and all chain reactions? Everything. Even your overkill damage numbers as this screen shows. Always use these to inform your decisions.

Josef’s Slice skill gives him an extra point of PP whenever he defeats an enemy, which means drat near always at this stage of the game. Two of his passives, Holy Barrier and Holy Guard, then activate as the surviving Housecarl attacks, negating the -DEF debuff and almost all the damage incurred.

Belated introduction for Chloe, the last member of this childhood friend quartet! She’s a Soldier, positioned behind Josef, and she just attacked with Long Thrust, which would have hit both Housecarls in the middle column had the one in the front survived. But wait, that’s not all!

Josef’s last passive, Pursuit, activates to directly follow up on Chloe’s attack. Since Josef still has one outstanding AP, he’d have thereafter used Slice again had the Housecarl somehow survived.

Chloe’s passive activates at the end of the battle and heals one target. Not that Josef urgently needed it, mind you.

Josef himself may be an eternity out from actually gaining a level, but whoever else is in his unit and benefiting from his combat prowess sure as hell won’t be.

After seeing Josef in action, the two other Housecarl units hightail it outta here and our three units reconsolidate.

…Somehow, yeah. Sorry for making you worry.

You know, it’s a miracle you can even put your armor on straight. Here. This medicine should perk you up again.

Unlike how using an item costs you your action for the turn in FE, in UO you can use as many items as you want on the field, free of any consequence but opportunity cost for someone else using said item. It costs you no stamina and incurs no wait time. You can even use items when you’re staring at a battle forecast screen, on the precipice of a battle, and see how (or if) that changes the outcome.

Phew! I needed that.

Chloe. Perhaps you’d be better served watching after Lex directly. I fear he’s a bit of a liability on his own.

To be fair, anyone not named Josef is a liability as a one-man unit. And even a unit with just Josef in it will be a liability at some point.

Very much agreed.

In literally any other context, you don’t get to transfer characters between deployed units, and trying to change a deployed unit’s leader will exact a cost. Still, Lex in the front and Chloe in the back have decent enough synergy as a unit. Lex tanks in the front row and gets healed at the end of the battle by Chloe, who can also use Long Thrust to hit any backrow enemies that Lex can’t reach.

Ugh…

Now then, this area appears to be safe for the time being. Let us hurry on to the harbor.

My word. But that’s… Hodrick! He and I used to stand as the stalwart pillars of Cornia’s defense. What might possibly have changed him?

…Prepare yourself, rebels. Any foolish enough to defy Emperor Galerius must be put to the sword.

It seems combat is our only path forward.

Indeed… Ridding this land of the enemy must be our first and only priority. No matter who that enemy may be.

Alright, so from now on, we have a time limit. You get a game over if the clock runs out. You win if you beat the main boss(es) in 99% of missions. From time to time there will be other victory/defeat conditions.

Anyway, I send Alain’s unit after the enemy Fighters’ unit, and Lex’s after the enemy Housecarls’. That forecast looks pretty promising, right? Well, Alain’s makes it to their target first, and and after a skirmish…

Alain’s also reaches the enemy Housecarls first, and Lex’s unit is just out of range for me to swap him in. Once Lex’s finally makes it to the target I set for them…

Lex’s unit went from beating the two-man enemy unit in one round to not even being able to put down a single Housecarl knocked into a waiting state in one fight! After every battle, the RNG resets, and the battle forecast updates accordingly. Outcomes can thus swing wildly on a dime. In this case, I would hazard a guess that in the initial forecast Chloe and Lex were both landing critical hits, while now either of them is missing their mark.

Anyway, between the few skills in their arsenal and 1AP/PP to use them, everyone not named Josef lacks killing power and you’ll need multiple bites at the apple to eliminate an enemy unit. Now, remember how I mentioned that Soldiers can attack both units in a column?

Ouch. But it’s ultimately a win, since Scarlett knocks out the frontline Soldier and she healed Alain to have more HP than he did starting the battle.

This time, the enemy Housecarl goes down (and as the play-by-play showed, either Lex or Chloe would have had to whiff a 99% chance to hit for him to have lived). Anyway, we now have our first level-up of the game!

Unlike in FE, stat growths in UO are fixed, only being modified by growth types, which I’ll list along with unit introductions at the end of every update where someone joins. Chloe’s two growth types are Guardian and Lucky, which boost her guard rate and evasion respectively. At level 12, she and a level 12 Soldier with the same growth types would have the same stats, barring any modifiers from their respective equipment. Compared to a level 12 Soldier whose growth types were Offensive and Keen, Chloe would have better guard rate/evasion and worse physical attack/accuracy.

Each character also has their stats ranked, from S as the best, A as second-best, and F as the worst. So Chloe’s guard rate is, by virtue of her class, going to be poo poo no matter what, despite the favorable growth type.

Eventually, Alain’s and Lex’s units clean up the mooks, leaving only the boss. You can tell from one glance that Hodrick has very high physical defense, enough that even Josef can’t just delete him. From the forecast damage of 26, one would guess that Josef eliminates the Housecarl in the frontline and does 4 damage to Hodrick. How do we get this outcome?

I fail to understand, Hodrick. What has motivated this shift in allegiance?

Josef… Cornia’s most decorated knight. I shall close the book on your tale myself.

hoplites dot jpg; Heavy Cover means that Hodrick takes the hit for the target and guards. Case in point, the frontline Housecarl is untouched while Hodrick only took chip damage from Josef’s Slash. But Hodrick only has one PP, and thus when Josef expends his second AP to use Slash on the Housecarl again, Hodrick can’t jump in to save him.

Any unit who attacks a garrisoned unit and doesn't eliminate them will be knocked back some, even if the attacker won the battle.

Such firm defenses… Our weapons barely leave a scratch.

Perhaps my magick will work, then. Leave this to me, Alain.

What we’ll actually be doing is chucking Josef at Hodrick until he’s weakened enough for Scarlett to finish the job.

As such. It took a few swings, leaving Josef with only 1 Stamina remaining. But first, a boss conversation!

Why are you doing this? You, who once stood as my mother’s royal guard?

Enough of your questions, whelp. Interfere and I shall see you suffer for it.

Next two level-ups for the road.

The game grades you on speed, how many enemy garrisons you captured, and how many enemy units you defeated, and this score is modified by your renown rank (and more softly spoken, by stage size). And yeah, only 11 seconds elapsed on the clock, but in practice between all the battle animations and deliberation you will, in actual time, be taking much longer to finish stages.

Hell, I considered “The Longest Minute in Gaming History” for the LP subtitle before taking the low-hanging fruit.

For every 40 points, you get 1 gold added to your coffers; 10k points, 1 Honor; 4k points, 1 Renown. Pay attention to honors in particular; for reasons you’ll see before long, I’d argue that they’re a more important currency than gold in this game.

The Unicorn Ring Mk. II

One such as I, brought low by the Cornia vermin that gnaw at our ankles.

You’ve fallen far indeed, Hodrick. How many times did you stare Death in the face at Her Majesty’s side? Now look what you’ve become.

Wait.

Your Highness?

Sheathing his sword and getting on his knee? Alain is making himself pretty drat vulnerable in this moment. Let’s hope it doesn’t end with him getting run through or knifed.

Yours was a bond of loyalty few knights could hope to equal. Why cast that aside and bend the knee to Galerius? I refuse to cut down a friend without first knowing how we’ve reached this grim conclusion. A simple reason is all I ask. Please.

Alain then gets back up, and…

Alain!

It looks like some sort of exorcism! The ring flashes, you hear a ring, and the screen turns to blue. After which…

What am I doing here?

If nothing else, Hodrick appears to no longer be hostile. Maybe he might even be contrite? Fade to black, since some explaining is in order.

‘Tis the only way I can think to describe it, my prince. That ill-fated day, all the lords closest to your mother turned upon her without so much as a moment’s notice. Unfortunately, my memories end there, as well.

A frightful power, if what you say is true. This spell of control, it could be called. Such magick would go far in explaining how Galerius so swiftly brought Fevrith to its knees.

I shudder to think what unspeakable evil I’ve wrought upon our world these last ten years. Though there is no greater misdeed than turning my spear upon you, Prince Alain.

That’s enough. You mustn’t blame yourself any further. But I do wonder… How is this ring capable of unmaking the spell?

In truth, I had believed it to be a mere regalia. A symbol of your birthright and nothing more.

Your Highness. That is the Ring of the Unicorn, ancestral treasure of Cornia’s royal lineage. Legend speaks of your ancestors wielding it to purify evil… but I had believed such tales to be mere fiction.

The orthodoxy has a similar story about the holy Unicorn, how it was a sacred beast able to purge darkness from our lands. It’s entirely possible that the ring that bears its image is somehow capable of that same power.

Hm. Should Galerius’ rule be built upon a foul sorcery that fetters our people… Then this ring is the ray of light that will pierce its wicked heart.

Your words ring true, my prince.

Indeed. Were we able to free those bound by his cruel magicks…

It might just bring the iron wall of Zenoira crashing down.

…All told, I’ve often found myself plagued with doubt. Is it justice that guides our march, or paltry vendetta? Yet the answer is clear as day now. The path before us is laid bare, and all that remains now is to walk it.

I mean hey, Alain insisted on mercy to a man who had betrayed his family and country and was more than willing to kill him, too, making himself very vulnerable to do it, and through this act of mercy discovered that his family treasure can undo mind control and who knows what else. That counts for something as to who he is and what he stands for.

Today marks our first foray into the mists of despair which hang heavy over our home. Mists that will soon be dispelled. It may take days, months, or even years, but I shall see the duties of my bloodline fulfilled… and slay Galerius like the beast he is.

…the duality of man Alain

Now, raise the sails!

Well, all things considered. Any fog that lingered in his mind seems to have cleared, and he stands ready to fight once more.
By the way, Your Highness. Allow me to brief you on our plans for when we arrive. Among the Liberation members I’ve mustered in my past excursions is a young, yet skilled knight by the name of Clive. I’ll ride to bring him to you the moment we’ve reached solid ground.

You have my thanks.

A word, Alain?

Well… No, it’s nothing.

Are you sure? Anxiety will be the death of you if you keep it bottled up like that.

It… really isn’t important, I assure you. It’s just, our lives have changed so drastically from the peace we had only yesterday. It barely seems real.

I can’t say I feel any different. But I’ve always known this day would come. It’s why I’ve spent all these years training under Josef’s careful instruction.
…A shame you never had the chance to meet my mother. She was always one to blaze a path forward, royal blade in arm. But as her heir, I intend to lead in much the same way.

Is that why you and Lex spent all your days banging swords down at the shore?

You’ve… seen that, have you?
You know, Hodrick was likely but one of many. And assuming the others who surrendered to Zenoira are being controlled as he was, we may just stand a chance in this. Yet our Liberation is still in its nascent days. Promising, yes, but gravely fragile as well.
Which is precisely why I’ll need your help, Scarlett. To reclaim peace for all who have suffered.

Alain, I… Of course. I’ll do everything I can. As is my role as a priestess of the Palevian Church.

Lex!

What?

I’m sorry, my prince. Decorum doesn’t come naturally to this fool.

It’s all right. When you’ve known each other as long as we have, there’s no reason to let formality bind us.

But, there are protocols to observe. Rules we must follow as vassals in service of the crown! Still… I’m of the same mind. What mind he has, that is. I’ll give my all in the royal name, Your Majesty.

Thank you all. I couldn’t ask for a finer group of friends.

Units Joined

Alain
Starting Class
: Lord (Infantry)
LV 1
Growth Type: All-Rounder

Equipment slots: 1 Sword, 1 Shield, 1 Accessory

Base stats
AP
- 1 / PP - 1
HP - 31 (B)
Phys. ATK - 11 (C)
Phys. DEF - 8 (B)
Mag. ATK - 11 (C)
Mag. DEF - 11 (B)
Accuracy - 124 (B)
Evasion - 32 (B)
Crit. Rate - 10% (C)
Guard Rate - 14% (A)
Initiative - 18 (B)
Much like a standard issue Fire Emblem protagonist, Alain starts off as a sword-wielding infantry character. His mobility is nothing special and his damage output will not be particularly special for a long while. Still, he gets a shield, the Ring of the Unicorn boosts his guard rate some, and considering his Lean Edge active skill, which heals him when he hits or defeats an enemy, meaning he has quite a bit of staying power. He’s perfectly serviceable, if clearly not amazing (yet). Now, when Alain is set as unit leader, everyone in your army will benefit from his Morale Boost leader effect, which boosts the valor gained whenever his unit defeats an enemy. Since you spend valor to deploy units and for a soon-to-be-introduced clutch mechanic, you really can’t get enough of it, ever.

Fevrith Archive entry: Crown prince of the fallen kingdom of Cornia, and son of its queen, Ilenia. After losing his mother in Valmore’s rebellion, he was taken to the isle of Palevia by Josef, who taught him sword and strategy until the age of 17.

Lex
Starting Class
: Fighter (Infantry, Armored)
LV 1
Growth Type: Hardy (+HP) / Offensive (+Phys. ATK)

Equipment slots: 1 Sword, 1 Shield, 1 Accessory

Base stats
AP
- 1 / PP - 1
HP - 22 (C)
Phys. ATK - 11 (C)
Phys. DEF - 9 (B)
Mag. ATK - 9 (D)
Mag. DEF - 5 (E)
Accuracy - 118 (C)
Evasion - 15 (E)
Crit. Rate - 8% (D)
Guard Rate - 16% (S)
Initiative - 11 (C)
Now what, exactly, distinguishes Lex from Alain? Well for one, he’s not from a unique class–he’s a Fighter. His class is slower, oriented more (physically) defensively, and actually counts as armored. Although he doesn’t no-sell all physical attacks the way Hodrick would, he also gets around faster, is faster, and won’t get owned as badly by enemy mages. Like Alain, he’s also meant to be put on the front line, and his default passive lets him take the hit for and thus no-sell enemy archers and myrmidons gunning for your dodgy but fragile units (and against archers in particular, your fliers). As a unit leader, characters in his unit take less damage from ranged assists, which will be seen after we make landfall on the mainland.

Fevrith Archive entry: A childhood friend of Alain’s, born and raised on the isle of Palevia to a local fisherman. After studying the sword under Josef’s tutelage, he resolves to join Alain on his quest to liberate Fevrith.

Chloe
Starting Class
: Soldier (Infantry)
LV 1
Growth Type: Guardian (+Guard Rate) / Lucky (+Evasion)

Equipment slots: 1 Lance, 2 Accessories

Base stats
AP
- 1 / PP - 1
HP - 25 (C)
Phys. ATK - 11 (B)
Phys. DEF - 8 (C)
Mag. ATK - 8 (D)
Mag. DEF - 10 (C)
Accuracy - 119 (D)
Evasion - 29 (C)
Crit. Rate - 7% (D)
Guard Rate - 9% (E)
Initiative - 16 (C)
It might be surprising to learn that Chloe has innate healing right out the gate and Scarlett doesn’t! By dint of her class, Chloe’s active skills let her attack entire columns of enemies (and right off the bat her Long Thrust skill has a bonus against enemy cavalry), so while her damage output isn’t special in most cases, that means she can nail squishies hiding in the back row. Speaking of, she herself should be hanging out back there. Her raw base defenses may not be worse than those of our other infantry units, but she can’t equip a shield to boost either of her defenses or her guard rate, the latter of which is pretty bad and will stay bad despite having a favorable growth type. Still, she heals, she can hit fragile units that would normally be positioned in the back row, and she checks enemy cavalry. That counts for a lot.

Fevrith Archive entry: Daughter to one of Josef’s closest friends, she learned the ways of war under Josef’s watchful tutelage. As a dear friend to Alain, she often has to remind herself that she serves the prince of Cornia himself.

Josef
Starting Class
: Paladin (Cavalry)
LV 20
Growth Type: Hardy (+HP) / Guardian (+Guard Rate)

Equipment slots: 1 Sword, 1 Shield, 2 Accessories

Base stats
AP
- 2 / PP - 2
HP - 54 (B)
Phys. ATK - 11 (B)
Phys. DEF - 11 (C)
Mag. ATK - 16 (B)
Mag. DEF - 24 (S)
Accuracy - 121 (C)
Evasion - 14 (E)
Crit. Rate - 8% (D)
Guard Rate - 13% (B)
Initiative - 19 (C)
If you’ve played any Fire Emblem game ever, you have a pretty good idea of Josef’s schtick. He has a massive level advantage over everyone, which he will retain for some time to come. With his Templar Sword and its 15 Phys. ATK he will run roughshod on any unit with poor physical defense at this stage of the game, and hell, I needed him to chip away at Hodrick until Alain and Scarlett could deliver the finishing blow. Moreover, as a pre-promote, he has 2 AP and PP, while everyone else who joined has just 1 of each. Even though he stops looking indomitable once other units start hitting level 20, he never truly “falls off”. And it deffo helps that he has a horse and zooms across stages accordingly and even once his damage output drops to nothing special, he at least retains some healing utility. (Yes, that’s his second active skill, but had no opportunity to trigger in this stage.) And given the way UO’s battle system works, he won’t be “stealing” EXP; even when he personally gains zilch from winning battles, whatever other unit(s) you’ve put in his unit sure will appreciate the lift.

Fevrith Archive entry: A former knight of the fallen kingdom of Cornia, he fled to the isle of Palevia with Alain at Queen Ilenia’s behest after the rebellion at Valmore’s hands. Recognized as a Holy Knight due to his valor and loyalty.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 16, 2024

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I think one thing I might have missed in the tutorial is: how does targeting and active skill use work in combat? Do you actually run it round-by-round in control? Or do you set them ahead of the fight, as a sort of script, and they all run on their own?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I started fresh when I bought the full game instead of continuing my demo file, and had already forgotten just how much this first battle tutorializes at you. Let me tell you, it was incredibly jarring not having the combat forecast for those first couple fights. Also not being able to select a difficulty until you hit the mainland. (Barely even a spoiler, but technically it hasn't come up yet.)

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 14, 2024

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
This looks fun, shame it doesn't seem like it's going to PC anytime soon.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I think one thing I might have missed in the tutorial is: how does targeting and active skill use work in combat? Do you actually run it round-by-round in control? Or do you set them ahead of the fight, as a sort of script, and they all run on their own?

The latter. You can pick which of your available actives and passives will be used, which ones should be used first/second/third/etc. (AP/PP allowing), and up to two conditions for who they should target. For instance, right out the gate, Josef's healing active is set to prioritize healing someone below 75% HP and his Slice skill is set to target whoever has the lowest HP. But by default, single-target offensive skills will target whatever enemy frontliner is in the same column.

so in the above formation, if there is an enemy on B3, Alain's single-target active skill will, in the absence of any player-set priorities, attack the enemy in B3. If there's an enemy on B4 and not B3, Alain will attack B4. If column B is empty then Alain will go for A3 or C3, or A4 or B4 if the entire enemy front line is empty. Chloe's first active skill attacks entire columns, and being in column A she will target column A by default; if there are no enemies in column A, she'll instead default to column B if you don't set any other priorities for who she should target.

anyway the next update is going to be very short because it has three units of two to deploy and I'll have more than six characters in my roster. I'm thinking I'll post said update tomorrow evening, give some time for the thread to pick someone to bench for the stage, and then record the evening thereafter.

Cattail Prophet posted:

I started fresh when I bought the full game instead of continuing my demo file, and had already forgotten just how much this first battle tutorializes at you. Let me tell you, it was incredibly jarring not having the combat forecast for those first couple fights. Also not being able to select a difficulty until you hit the mainland. (Barely even a spoiler, but technically it hasn't come up yet.)

nah you're good, that's not a real spoiler imo

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

have not played Ogre Battle but hey, sounds like something for the bucket list once I'm through with this.

I would actually recommend giving one of the Ogre Battle games a shot now, just to see the bits of Unicorn Overlord that are straight from Ogre Battle. You wouldn't have to get very far (I certainly never have) to immediately cotton on to some of them, like the five-man unit on a 2x3 grid with a leader (though iirc one of the Ogre Battles extended it to a 3x3 grid with...mixed results). Ogre Battle also has "large" units that take up two spots, and will let you set units between squares for symmetry's sake or to account for large units, but I don't know if UO does/doesn't.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Unlike how using an item costs you your action for the turn in FE, in UO you can use as many items as you want on the field, free of any consequence but opportunity cost for someone else using said item. It costs you no stamina and incurs no wait time. You can even use items when you’re staring at a battle forecast screen, on the precipice of a battle, and see how (or if) that changes the outcome.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Unlike in FE, stat growths in UO are fixed, only being modified by growth types, ...

Two more examples from just this update. To say nothing of the Zenoira/Zenobia similarity, or immediately turning bosses into your units because of nonsense (though iirc that's an FE hallmark as well), or the heavy emphasis on Liberation, but until & unless you nab a city "the incorrect way" and it says Captured instead of Liberated, that could just be coincidence. I hope if there's anything like the Tarot cards from OB (one of the few ways to affect a battle in progress, among other things they can do), UO gets to them quickly.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Lean Edge doesn't just heal Alain on kill, it heals on hit too, and those two conditions are separate and thus can activate together on a killing blow.

Lex doesn't have a full proper cover yet. Right now he has Arrow Guard, which covers an ally being hit by a ranged physical attack (arrows, obviously, though physical attacks from flying enemies also count). This nullifies the attack, while covers just divert the damage to the covering unit.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

Felinoid posted:

I would actually recommend giving one of the Ogre Battle games a shot now, just to see the bits of Unicorn Overlord that are straight from Ogre Battle. You wouldn't have to get very far (I certainly never have) to immediately cotton on to some of them, like the five-man unit on a 2x3 grid with a leader (though iirc one of the Ogre Battles extended it to a 3x3 grid with...mixed results). Ogre Battle also has "large" units that take up two spots, and will let you set units between squares for symmetry's sake or to account for large units, but I don't know if UO does/doesn't.

OB64 has 3x3 units. I think the original does as well, but I'm not sure and it's been many, many years.

Felinoid posted:

Two more examples from just this update. To say nothing of the Zenoira/Zenobia similarity, or immediately turning bosses into your units because of nonsense (though iirc that's an FE hallmark as well), or the heavy emphasis on Liberation, but until & unless you nab a city "the incorrect way" and it says Captured instead of Liberated, that could just be coincidence. I hope if there's anything like the Tarot cards from OB (one of the few ways to affect a battle in progress, among other things they can do), UO gets to them quickly.

One big difference is that UO seems to actually explain its important mechanics, unlike OB. Here's looking at you, Chaos Frame!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

wedgekree posted:

Probably never. VanillaWare has some unexplained beef with the very concept of porting to PC.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

wedgekree posted:

Just like every other Switch game, you can already play it on your PC and in much better quality too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

fatsleepycat posted:

OB64 has 3x3 units. I think the original does as well, but I'm not sure and it's been many, many years.
nah, March of the Black Queen is 2x3 for sure. Actually shelled out for a cart many years ago.

fatsleepycat posted:

One big difference is that UO seems to actually explain its important mechanics, unlike OB. Here's looking at you, Chaos Frame!

Yeah, this is a good part of why I'm excited to see what UO has to offer. OB had a lot of good points and a lot of just absolute head-shakers.