Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
So far this feels like the bastard child of Fire Emblem and Ogre Battle. Very interested to see how the mechanics click together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

have not played Ogre Battle but hey, sounds like something for the bucket list once I'm through with this.

I would actually recommend giving one of the Ogre Battle games a shot now, just to see the bits of Unicorn Overlord that are straight from Ogre Battle. You wouldn't have to get very far (I certainly never have) to immediately cotton on to some of them, like the five-man unit on a 2x3 grid with a leader (though iirc one of the Ogre Battles extended it to a 3x3 grid with...mixed results). Ogre Battle also has "large" units that take up two spots, and will let you set units between squares for symmetry's sake or to account for large units, but I don't know if UO does/doesn't.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Unlike how using an item costs you your action for the turn in FE, in UO you can use as many items as you want on the field, free of any consequence but opportunity cost for someone else using said item. It costs you no stamina and incurs no wait time. You can even use items when you’re staring at a battle forecast screen, on the precipice of a battle, and see how (or if) that changes the outcome.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Unlike in FE, stat growths in UO are fixed, only being modified by growth types, ...

Two more examples from just this update. To say nothing of the Zenoira/Zenobia similarity, or immediately turning bosses into your units because of nonsense (though iirc that's an FE hallmark as well), or the heavy emphasis on Liberation, but until & unless you nab a city "the incorrect way" and it says Captured instead of Liberated, that could just be coincidence. I hope if there's anything like the Tarot cards from OB (one of the few ways to affect a battle in progress, among other things they can do), UO gets to them quickly.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

fatsleepycat posted:

OB64 has 3x3 units. I think the original does as well, but I'm not sure and it's been many, many years.
nah, March of the Black Queen is 2x3 for sure. Actually shelled out for a cart many years ago.

fatsleepycat posted:

One big difference is that UO seems to actually explain its important mechanics, unlike OB. Here's looking at you, Chaos Frame!

Yeah, this is a good part of why I'm excited to see what UO has to offer. OB had a lot of good points and a lot of just absolute head-shakers.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I say Lex should sit the bench forever to reinforce his lovely little brother energy. :v:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Good lord the smell of bullshit on that story could knock out an elephant. That being said, somehow I doubt he isn't going to show up again; escaping the City Watch seems like it'd be one of his core professional skills.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

As much as I'd ordinarily love to just get rid of such a whiner, I have a feeling the (maternal) love triangle is gonna be some good drama. :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I mean if it is down to just "do you want to see the content" ...this is an LP. Yes we want to see the content.