Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Obviously. :colbert: it's not just for show either, go look at her loadout screen again. She is genuinely dual wielding shields in-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I started fresh when I bought the full game instead of continuing my demo file, and had already forgotten just how much this first battle tutorializes at you. Let me tell you, it was incredibly jarring not having the combat forecast for those first couple fights. Also not being able to select a difficulty until you hit the mainland. (Barely even a spoiler, but technically it hasn't come up yet.)

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 14, 2024

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

There's a couple characters who can make okay use of the runic sword early on, but I stuck mine on Josef long term. His physickal attack is going to fall off hard and fast, but his magickal attack actually stays solid for quite a long time.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 22, 2024

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

To clarify, even when you kill overworld enemies manually they don't give experience.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Gladiators are in kind of an awkward position this early where they have skills that incentivize letting them take hits, but don't quite have the tanking potential to be usable as a solo frontline. There's several classes like this (I'd argue both Alain and knights fall into the category somewhat, though they can coast on shield access for a while), and generally they tend to get better once you're a bit further in, have higher unit size caps, and it starts to become more viable to build a unit formation with three okay-ish tanks up front instead of one excellent tank.

Gladiator's problem is that you don't get to start playing around with most of those other classes until you're already at that point anyway, while Bruno has plenty of time to leave a bad impression if you go in expecting him to stand up to a prolonged assault. I also tend to find that even later on, keeping a gladiator alive can be an exercise in frustration compared to similar options.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

One thing I do appreciate about how the "recruit this character y/n?" choices are handled is that the game is mostly pretty consistent about giving any particularly slimy characters (e.g. Gammel) nonlethal option B's, so I don't have to feel conflicted between "gently caress off, I don't want this rear end in a top hat in my army" and "killing someone after they've surrendered doesn't sit right with me."

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Very Good Friends, indeed.

The approach you're taking definitely makes more sense for the purposes of an LP, but it's worth noting that if you're extremely thorough (and willing to do a lot of sneaking past overworld enemies), it's possible to collect enough divine shards to recruit Ochlys immediately.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

TBH even if I were doing a generics only run I would have no qualms whatsoever about using story characters as guards. Dunno if there's enough "required" characters to make up the difference, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

:eng101: Warriors also have semi-exclusive access to the hammer subtype of weapons! It's not super important, but there are some nice ones to have around. Mordon starts with one that boosts his guard rate, iirc?

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 15, 2024