Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

Felinoid posted:

I would actually recommend giving one of the Ogre Battle games a shot now, just to see the bits of Unicorn Overlord that are straight from Ogre Battle. You wouldn't have to get very far (I certainly never have) to immediately cotton on to some of them, like the five-man unit on a 2x3 grid with a leader (though iirc one of the Ogre Battles extended it to a 3x3 grid with...mixed results). Ogre Battle also has "large" units that take up two spots, and will let you set units between squares for symmetry's sake or to account for large units, but I don't know if UO does/doesn't.

OB64 has 3x3 units. I think the original does as well, but I'm not sure and it's been many, many years.

Felinoid posted:

Two more examples from just this update. To say nothing of the Zenoira/Zenobia similarity, or immediately turning bosses into your units because of nonsense (though iirc that's an FE hallmark as well), or the heavy emphasis on Liberation, but until & unless you nab a city "the incorrect way" and it says Captured instead of Liberated, that could just be coincidence. I hope if there's anything like the Tarot cards from OB (one of the few ways to affect a battle in progress, among other things they can do), UO gets to them quickly.

One big difference is that UO seems to actually explain its important mechanics, unlike OB. Here's looking at you, Chaos Frame!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

Omobono posted:

Do you get some sort of shared experience from the disappearing roaming enemies? Although going around taking them out one by one sounds miserable so I'll happily accept no experience since the important renown still gets cashed in.
How much like classic Fire Emblem is the game? Is renown a finite resource? Is experience?

No exp from overworld enemies, just honors. There is an opportunity later to grind exp on fairly small repeatable maps, and I think those maps give you small amounts of honors and renown as well.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021
Bruno with a dedicated healer behind has done fine for me as a primary tank to about the midpoint of the game, but I'm only playing on Tactical and he wound up with some high-Initiative damagers so he doesn't have to take too many hits.