Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
COPE VS PENTA 44 59.46%
LIONHOOK SHIBATA VS STP 4 5.41%
OKADA VS A GUY 6 8.11%
MAY VS JAY 6 8.11%
JOE VS RHODES 14 18.92%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I figured out how to watch aew on the platforms I use so I was wondering how lost would I be if I just started watching with the April shows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Ringo Roadagain posted:

You’ll be fine

Cool. Thanks

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

The current shows will get you caught up fine, either explicitly or because things (mostly) just make sense: there's a wrestler who dislikes another wrestler, and they're gonna sort this poo poo out by beating the gently caress out of each other.

Cool. Good to know there isn't anything too complicated. I read gavok's good thread so that should help.

Ringo Roadagain posted:

The stickied thread by Gavok should also have some good stuff if you like what you see weekly. I’ve been watching from the start, so I don’t know how exactly to get your hands on older stuff, but aew is popular enough here that you should be able to find someone to help.

Most of the old stuff is on archive.org. it is just inconvenient to phone watch it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Daddy rear end

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Hobbs

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I've watched 4 AEW shows now and I'm mostly enjoying it and can see why others are so fanatical about it.

One thing I don't think I care for too much is the dirtbag aesthetic the shows have. Everything always looks so grimey

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's the old cameras

I mean this wouldn't surprise me.

The first episode I watched I stopped it and cleaned my phone screen a couple of times before realizing it was just the show.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

"Timeless" Toni Storm and Will Ospeary have been highlights to watch.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

What shows have you watched so far? I also saw you posting about Powerhouse Hobbs, who is also very good :hai:

The first 4 shows in april. I've seen Hobbs wrestle 2 times. Watched a match of his from back in Feburary. The dude is a very good big man wrestler.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 15, 2024

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

How many belts does AEW have? There seems to be way too many

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

5 are men's single. Feels like too many

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Ringo Roadagain posted:

not really. especially when you consider how large their roster is.

The FTW belt feels like a useless belt like the 2nd world heavyweight belt wwe has

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

post hole digger posted:

FTW is not a real belt cmon folks

It isn't? Like that stupid people's champ belt?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

blunt posted:

International is same rules as the world title, just let level.

Continental is everybody banned from ringside and if you hold it at Full Gear you get auto entry into the Continental Classic.

TNT is 20 minute (or TV time remaining) time limit.

Hold on. The belts have specific rule sets around them? Is this true in WWE too?

quote:

Taz originally made it as a vanity belt in the 90s. In AEW he formed "Team Taz" and gifted the belt to Bryan Cage and it eventually made it back to Taz's son Hook.

Ok cool. Thanks for the explanation. 😃

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I like FTR and hope the young bucks lose to them. Doubly so after the stupid cmpunk fight promo. I hadn't seen the young bucks part before and it was so bad.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Goblin Queen posted:

I think I'm good on FTR tag title runs for a while. The Bucks can tell better stories as the smarmy bosses who cheat and exploit the rules to retain.

I don't know anything another the previous runs. I just hated that bucks promo and not like as heel work. It just sucked.

Edit: it doesn't matter though. I'm not coughing up $50 for the ppv and I don't know of any good 🏴‍☠️streams for phone.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Download the BiliBili app on your phone and you can pretty much watch any AEW PPV for free. They usually upload it within 24 hours after it aired.

I'll give that a try. Thank you. :)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

kalensc posted:

Just now catching up

Saw this pop up on screen

Design is an SA grenade that's rotated to the left, imo

Was wondering what that was. Would explain some things

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

A Fancy Hat posted:

What else is there to discuss with WWE? The wrestling?!

Sheamus looked gassed after the ivar match and the triple threat tag team match was too busy.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

There doesn't seem to be a lot of interference in AEW matches. It is kind of refreshing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I liked that Dustin vs Joe match from last week's Wednesday show.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Jealous of such friendship?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

https://www.realrasslin.net/post/aew-potentially-punished-by-archaic-oklahoma-athletic-commission

Someone dug up something troublesome, the Oklahoma SAC has at least discussed taking action against AEW for Nyla Rose's match last December. Oklahoma has some incredibly archaic rules regarding intergender wrestling and as you can imagine how they classify transgender athletes.

Don't like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rampage will be airing late Saturday night due to the playoffs.