Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
COPE VS PENTA 44 59.46%
LIONHOOK SHIBATA VS STP 4 5.41%
OKADA VS A GUY 6 8.11%
MAY VS JAY 6 8.11%
JOE VS RHODES 14 18.92%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
Haven't watched the show but saw the footage, which didn't disappoint.

Honestly bizarre that people are so mad at AEW for airing this footage. It's not like they're doing this out of nowhere, Punk just did a lot of poo poo-talking in an interview without much prompting from Helwani and continued the poo poo-talking during Mania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

El Generico posted:

Delusional people on Twitter being like "it shows he told the exact truth!"

Uhh, he said he "only choked him a little" and that's not what happened at all

It's so funny to me that Phil branded himself as this firebrand "Tell me when I'm telling lies" truth talker when he lies all the time. Not in the way wrestlers lie like Danielson or Cody, but in the way someone whose reality is so distorted by their fragile ego that they believe in their own lies.

Sad that the Philmaniacs are still buying it though.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Malikov posted:

Love the replies to these tweets cooking this fraud

What's your opinion on the footage?

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Malikov posted:

What footage ?

Footage of the fraud attacking Jack Perry.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Cabbit posted:

There ain't no loving way WWE is astroturfing the comments of third rung wrestling news sites, or Tumblr of all loving places. It's actual brain rot. Wrestling fans are cooked for like an entire generation, this poo poo is a write off.

Word. It's not just the Fed fans either, you have an entire group of 'serious' wrestling fans who are all about practising decorum when it involves the Fed.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Activate posted:

Showing the video was a really bad and aimless idea, and doing it after an incredibly popular Wrestlemania made AEW look super low rent.

#RespectWWE

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Stall_19 posted:

You think Punk was hurt at all with this video? Find me one person who mind was changed in any way with this video. Like Punk got chants in the arena during and after the footage.

Punk constantly got butthurt over imaginary slights or conspiracy theories he read off the internet while he was with AEW.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Activate posted:

And it had absolutely had to be done this way?

Did you watch the show? The FTR promo wouldn't have worked as well without the footage.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Shard posted:

I guess they could have just sued punk for the podcast like the wwe doctor did

Suing Punk and showing a zoomed in video of his rear end, now that's how a respectful wrestling promotion should act.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Speaking of Ospreay, any of these #RespectWWE handwringers particularly concerned when Phil and Paul took shots at him for no reason?

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Lamuella posted:

Dax was friends with a dinosaur?

Yes, CM Punk.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

STAC Goat posted:

I think regardless of how anyone feels about the ethics or class or deservingness or whatever of airing the footage the construct of it was just weird. You had the heels showing the video as an excuse for why their loss to the faces doesn’t count, then you have the faces who were explicitly said to be friends of Punk do the big face promo, and then you have the heels jump them. I’m not surprised some fans chanted “CM Punk”. It was basically structured like a story where he would run in to save his friends against the jerk heels. It was weird.

This is valid. It does seem a bit generous of them to make the Bucks the villain in all of this when outside of kayfabe it's Punk who can't shut the hell up about AEW.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Tbh I rather see people pearl clutch about rasslin' moves than the sanctity of wrestling being tarnished by AEW airing the footage of Punk.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Miching Mallecho posted:

I have no doubt there's going to be punk chants when he's on regular AEW tv but that's going to get booed away like yesterday when it started for a couple of seconds and died, but nobody mentions the chants dying, it's "well there was cm punk chants and they didn't want that you know"

Even when Punk was still around in AEW, the funniest thing about CM Punk chants post Brawl Out was how quickly it died out and got drowned out by the crowd loving around with him.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Sir Tonk posted:

Insane number of punk cultists on twitter replying to every dude that speaks ill of their leader

He didn't have this many blind fans post-Brawl In, which makes me think that the number of Punk cultists probably grew exponentially since he went back to WWE. Not surprisingly, most of these now-fans of Punk were the same folks who didn't care at all for Punk when he first returned to wrestling in AEW.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

EVP Mike Mansury

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

TK laid off the wrong people lol.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

loving theatre nerd agreeing with everyone that pro-wrestlers are tough guys who are built different (unlike you normies) and shouldn't be fired for assaulting a co-worker.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Should have known a landlord-loving theatre dork like Danhausen is exactly the type of rear end in a top hat who looks down on certain professions. Imagine this clown laughing at you for being a dental assistant and not a cool wrestler like him lol.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

keithy george posted:

Moné sounded like the tiktok voice. If you're going to zoom in on her face, have her look into the camera, Marvez is already doing it.

I was quite impressed by the charisma and star power Mercedes Moné brought when she debuted at Big Business. Ever since then though, she has been nothing but a literal cartoon character spewing catchphrases in an uncanny valley tone of voice. That interview and when she interrupted Willow's firy babyface promo was so funny to me, it was so jarring how different her presentation is with the rest of AEW.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Quantum of Phallus posted:

if FTR lose at Dynasty, it's almost certain they go back to WWE, right?

Nah. FTR's whole promo about the Bucks not moving past the incident is really directed towards Bald's former BFF Punk.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Pylons posted:

Will Ospreay's shot at Triple H was Ospreay's own idea after feeling HHH had "mocked his worth ethic and dedication to the business":

As far as Ospreay, the promo was entirely his idea as he had very personal reasons to respond back.

Management cleared it when he requested it as he felt that after Levesque took a cheap shot at him, he didn’t think it was wrong to jab back.

It was bad timing because of the Punk thing, but Ospreay brought the idea to Khan, and even said he’d take full responsibility for it. Obviously the final responsibility is Khan, who clearly approved.

Ospreay felt that when one of the most important people in the business, who he had respectfully negotiated with, had mocked his work ethic and dedication to the business. He had said he’s never knocked WWE or its performers during the entire time. So he wanted to respond.

His feeling was that WWE was fully aware about his situation with his partner, woman wrestling star Alex Windsor, and his stepson. But Levesque still took a cheap shot at him and he felt Levesque deserved one back. - WON

The tone of this report is so gross, man. Like AEW and Ospreay did something heinous by responding to the rape enabler from the rape company taking a cheap shot at Ospreay unprompted.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Shard posted:

Opened up my Facebook to post some pictures and this was the first thing I saw

Loved how these fuckos conveniently forgot that Punk never moved on, the punk cultists and drones didn't move on either when Punk kept talking about AEW.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Where are all the handwringing articles about how Paul would take full responsibility for what he and Phil said?

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

From FTR's promo about everyone having moved on to Tony's disgusted reaction, it's so funny how much of the kayfabe poo poo were treated like they were real by Punk cultists, drones, and the wrestling media.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

illcendiary posted:

From 10 tickets sold to 38, dude is a god tier draw

Lol what is this joke even? The ticket sales are literally in the QT.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Lol loving amazing.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

That Defector piece is so embarrassing in how hard it went to #StandUpForPhil. Someone mentioned that all the handwringing we see about this is WWE astroturfing the narrative, at this point I think they're probably right. The Fed got the resources and the drones to pull it off.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Lmao the guillotine immediately after the chant. What a (scape)GOAT.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Lol I wonder how they would mental gymnastics their way to how that was totally different.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

illcendiary posted:

More guys should get choked out by Punk

What did you think of the 38 people singing along to "Ooooh, cry me a river"?

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The only one I’m not into is the traditional Malakai Black won’t job trios match

HoB will lose but Buddy will take the pin again.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

a dumb moron posted:

If TNA didn’t gain anything from their AEW partnership (and all things considered, they didn’t outside of one rating pop and one buyrate boost, I think?), what in the WORLD makes them think they’d get anything from WWE, a company known for insidiously destroying any territory they partner with?

Cody finished his story, this means WWE is good now and has saved wrestling from the outlaw mud show that aired the Punk footage.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

It's a bit suspicious that a lot of the vanilla "Just enjoy wrestling" podcasts turned on AEW and joined the grift train.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

There are definitely a few "let's enjoy wrestling :)" podcasts that went hard anti-AEW after a while, from what I hear secondhand. I don't really keep up with many podcasts at all let alone ones about wrestling but my friends said something about Tights & Fights getting a new team that are as blandly Pro-WWE-Wrestling-Podcast as you can get.

WrestleTalk is another "Let's enjoy wrestling" podcast turned anti-AEW grifter, or at least their clickbait thumbnails are.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

CombineThresher posted:

This more than anything else is what turned me off of OSW. It was fun when they ripped on the worst parts of 90s WCW and WWE but holy poo poo their taste in modern stuff is terrible. Deadlock is way more fun since those guys know they're numbskulls at the end of the day.

Not specifically just OSW but I'm surprised that it turns out the people who make fun of the standard WrestleCrap™ stuff of the '90s and even the '00s don't actually have good taste in wrestling.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Whoolighams posted:

WWE is "cool again" in a nerd culture way and AEW is seen as a threat to its dominance, people love and identify themselves by enjoying corporate sanitized pop culture and want their view to be objectively correct. it's like when people post about the most recent boring-rear end Star Wars show getting a 95% on the Tomatometer or whatever when it'll be forgotten in a week.

It's going to be real dire once WWE stans pick up nerd culture's M.O. and start review bombing matches on cagematch.net.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

A Fancy Hat posted:

When I was still using Twitter any post I made about AEW would be swarmed with replies like “AEW sux” and a half dozen accounts all posting “nobody watching this”. If you looked at the accounts that posted it they were very obviously bots in that they had under 50 followers, followed thousands of people, and would all say basically the same thing again and again.

Considering some of the insanity we see in this very forum, I’m not surprised that some people spend actual money online to create these bot armies to hype up their hatred of AEW.

Wouldn't it make more sense for WWE to pay for these bots themselves?

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Mr Hootington posted:

Edit: it doesn't matter though. I'm not coughing up $50 for the ppv and I don't know of any good 🏴‍☠️streams for phone.

Download the BiliBili app on your phone and you can pretty much watch any AEW PPV for free. They usually upload it within 24 hours after it aired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

kalensc posted:

Just now catching up

Saw this pop up on screen

Design is an SA grenade that's rotated to the left, imo

I watched a pirated stream and thought this was some weird watermark lol.