Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

quote:

When it animates a little shrub like this it's just some extra hit points, but watch out on forest provinces - a fully grown tree is a valid animation target and it will absolutely gently caress you up this early on.
An animated tree has >100 hit points and 20 protection and cannot gain fatigue, so it's possible that weaker expansion parties simply cannot kill one.
I don't know if anyone has numbers on how likely one is to be animated though. It would be a pretty funny way to be ruined on turn 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
There are definitely a lot of ways for battles to play out in this game. Sometimes it's an epic struggle where archmages bring down the wrath of the gods until they can do no more. And sometimes when those guys fall unconscious, exhausted, the weird guys in the corner summoning rats every turn for a hundred turns win out in the end.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
One thing I enjoy about Dominions is how it doesn't stick to a faction = historical counterpart formula. Through the three ages the various societies/races/cultures change and fragment and intermix.
From the blurb, Phaeacia is an unholy mix of EA Berytos, Arcoscephale and Mekone, which roughly represent Carthage, Athens, Sparta, and then there's the Colossi who are from Great Zimbabwe or something.

The Dominions setting is truly a fascinating world of a hundred nations, and when Pretenders cast globals that kill off the entire population or drown the world in horrors I'm sure they'll shed a few tears for the common man :yayclod:

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I think of "N provinces by turn X" as a proxy for general expansion strength rather than an actual accounting. If your setup is capable of fast expansion, it could manifest as actual N provinces, or as taking a difficult province in an important location that otherwise must be skipped, or having a strong intact expansion group ready to invade someone else, or simply as stability (less likely to lose fights against indies).
The last one is probably most important, because early expansion failures seem a lot more common than I would have expected from reading older LPs. I'm not sure if that's because Dominions 6 has larger independent armies, or because players are just more conservative in LP games :v:

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

DarthRoblox posted:

Yea - if i wasn't this exact nation this would be a much worse position, since even other nations with sailing would have to slowly walk their capital mages to the mainland over like 3 turns to join any fights unless you're willing to burn gems to teleport or whatever. Once I establish a toehold with some dominion I can get over the mainland fairly easily.

This will probably get explained imminently but I'm curious how you'll get dominion candles for the national sailing. From the map in this post, one of the planned landing zones is far from your border with Phlegra, and the prophet is a non-stealthy commander. Unless I'm misunderstanding how Dark Vessels works.

Also, sailing is a tremendously powerful strategic ability but I've never understood exactly how it works with map movement costs. Last I asked someone said it allows you to move through one underwater province for free, but in my experience it seems to do more than that (the destination has to be really far to be too far to sail to).

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I hadn't noticed but even before Ys attacked your provinces, there's no direct land connection from Phaeacia's capital peninsula to the mainland. Does the national sailing allow income to trace across water, or are you just not getting any gold from the northern territories until you take Phlegra's capital?

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
It's kind of a funny mechanic because if you're unlucky with rolls the bleeding doesn't stop after battle ends, and even larger units can just die from it.
But you can lose an arm, both arms even, and it doesn't bleed.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
The vastness is supposed to be some cosmic unknowable but I can only ever see a chemistry model. Like that's clearly a H2O molecule flying off on the right.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Mindopali posted:

From previous LP's I read I got the feeling that players also like to negotiate who to defend against or pay for some calm on at least one front when stuff gets violent. I guess if your neighbor's communication remains calm, then things haven't heated up too much yet.

It depends on the players' temperament. I'll respond to diplomacy when others initiate it, but mostly I just start drawing big arrows on the map when it feels like my armies are lying around not doing anything. Wrangling all your neighbors is :effort: and often moving first is what keeps you safe.
Though it helps to have strong logistics like flying, stealth or in this case sailing to strike quickly and present a fait accompli; if you're taking one province a turn with a single doomstack it's a lot more time for someone else to stab you while you're distracted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Very minor nitpick: it's Pyrène rather than Pyréne. Yes, even though the mountains are the Pyrénées. :france: