Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I'm in this game as MA Man! I'm going to enjoy the tales of my eventually downfall!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
A full size tree also has 3-4 attacks for 18+ damage. Animate tree can be fearsome in a forest. They're not the most accurate, but with that many attacks you don't really need to be (usually).

For those who don't know, damage is 1d6 + damage value subtracted by 1d6 + protection value. The d6 are exploding, so a 6 rolls the die again until it stops rolling a 6. A heavily armored human can expect to have 16-18 protection, typically, so an animated tree will wallop even them pretty good.

Obviously they're not all powerful, but any mage with even 1 N magic and the right research can get pretty dangerous in a forest.

Edit: and for humor value, darthroblox once beat Redmark in a major battle in a different game largely due to Animate Tree, from what I heard. Sadly I didn't have a scout to watch the actual fight. It's also worth mentioning that Redmark ultimately won that game.

IthilionTheBrave fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 13, 2024

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Cynocephelians, for reference, are big (one size category larger than humans) dog people who, as indies, have berserkers with 3 high damage attacks.

Edit: although the actual nation, Andramania, also has more or less this unit with some additional cons. It's just that Andramania also has big guard dogs with halberds (who still have a bite attack) that hit like trucks for their size and have the formation fighter tag that counteracts one of the cons for being big (fewer units per square).

IthilionTheBrave fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 15, 2024

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I have, at best, a vague notion of a plan in my games.

It also feels weird reading an LP about a game I'm actively engaging in! Especially since it'll probably be quite a bit still before anything I've been doing becomes relevant to the LP.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

Also God, what a starting position. Dom 6 seems to love creating these map "dead ends" and starting people in them when you use the built-in map gen. I can't wait until the Ruby Discord builds up a decent library of non-hosed maps to use regularly.

I've got a start almost exactly like this in another game except I've had even less room to grow. If I'm able to turn things around I might try to LP it, but as of right now it's up in the air how long I'll last.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
They also have pretty well armored greatswords and sword and board for line infantry. And their other mages are good at blasting away with Air magic (which has pretty good battle magic for both blasting and some army support). And their sacred sheep knights are pretty good (but nowhere near as good as Knights of Avalon, not like I'm biased or anything), but as mentioned are let down by their mounts having ABYSMAL magic resistance. Another nation with half decent N can easily Charm Animal the goats, which causes them to kick off their rider and change sides. They have an MR of 5, average is 10.

I almost launched into a rant on how good Knights of Avalon are, but I'll hold off until I become relevant. Darthroblox can probably articulate it better anyway!

IthilionTheBrave fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 28, 2024

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

sebmojo posted:

Dominions is the best comedy game.

If I'm not mistaken the riders will take some damage from getting bucked off, too. I've not had a chance to actually try using this trick, though. Not yet at least.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Man player here: if only I could remember what exactly i was doing that long ago!

I think the generic commander was because I had hired him to build a fort and then wanted to get rid of him to free up upkeep.

Sadly I'm pretty sure I forget to send someone to the arena every time it comes up after this.

IthilionTheBrave fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 8, 2024

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
To be fair, lightning bolt can ruin anyone's day.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Man's player here: From my experience so far, despite the cave layer being much easier to access than underwater, it's very easy to leave it unattended and let whoever starts under there Get Big. Whether they can leverage that is a different question, since the cave entrances limit their strategic options on who to fight (or who can even try getting down there). Caves also tend to be pretty gold rich, evidently (I've not played a cave start nation yet, so this is hearsay). The darkness penalties in caves, if I recall correctly, are -3 attack, defense, and precision unless you have darkvision or spirit sight. Nature magic has spells that can grant partial darkvision, as a way to ease cave fighting.

And speaking of darkvision, there's 3 types of vision traits a unit can have: darkvision, which reduces or eliminates darkness penalties; true sight, which can ignore certain Glamour buffs such as Blur (-2 to attacker's attack), Displacement (like blur, but a whopping -10 on the first attack, after which it degrades to a -5), and glamour/mirror image (a 1 in X chance for the attack to hit and destory a decoy); and Spirit Sight, which is basically both perfect darkvision and true sight rolled into one trait.

I'll not spoil how it is playing out in this particular game, but I will point out that there are 2 nations naturally disposed to existing in the caves: Agartha and Pyrene, who both have 50% darkvision (for only -1 penalty, I believe) on most of their troops. Both can also utilize summons that either ignore the penalties or even fight better in darkness than in light.

Also most of the cave entrances are clustered near me (Man)... so keep that in mind as the game continues.

Edit: as Purple mentioned and I sorta said at the end, a big problem so far seems to be how the entrances get clustered rather than spread out. If you're a surface nation that really wants to get underground or performs well there (Ind for the former for guaranteed cynocephelians, Yomi as an example of the latter), you could end up SOL as the game generates all the entrances nowhere near you and clustered under a nation that doesn't care or is ill-suited to fighting underground. This also means the unlucky player near all the entrances has to keep in mind that they'll eventually end up in conflict with any cave nations, unless they're able to negotiate and direct them to their neighbors somehow.

IthilionTheBrave fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 8, 2024

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Man player:

Despite all the talk about problems with caves... The Outer Throne is underground! It was pretty cheeky of me to dive down there and take it, to be frank, but the defenders were mostly undead and MA Man has very spammable, cheap priests that can kill undead pretty well.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
There's also a whole category of pretenders that are just powerful wizards who decided to take a crack at godhood!

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
As Man's player, I want to point that there's a THIRD kind of communion that Man and a handful of other nations can access: Choruses. These require the Spellsinger trait (a tag that increases cast time while halving fatigue cost of spells) and Glamour magic, rather than Astral (for Communions) or Blood (for Sabbaths). Choruses behave normally, except that if a mage passes the 100 fatigue threshold and passes out they automatically drop out of the Chorus (can't sing if you're snoozing!).

It's worth pointing out that communions and sabbath also impose a penalty to cast speed. So Choruses are slow but they don't rack up a lot of fatigue per cast even on what would otherwise be pretty big spells due to the half fatigue of spellsinging. Howl for example, a pretty big N spell that summons wolves from all around for as long as the caster lives, costs 300 fatigue. Normally that's enough to knock a mage out for a looooong time AND also incur some damage from going over 200 fatigue (I think it's one point per 15 or 20 fatigue). With the half fatigue cost that's only 150 fatigue. If you can cast it straight up you'll still be snoozing, but you won't half kill yourself in the process.

The half fatigue cost lets Man and other Chorus nations run top-heavy if they want to without risk of killing their slaves. Instead they just risk the slaves passing out, lowering the value of the Chorus. It also lets you more safely use your cheaper mages as slaves, since as briefly mentioned before there's multipliers applied to fatigue gained by slaves based off their paths. I believe how it goes is if the paths are equal, no modifier. If the master has higher levels in the path for that spell, the slave takes twice the fatigue they normally would. No shared path (or a master is an Innate Spellcaster) incurs a whopping 8 times multiplier! And if the slave has a higher level they get the fatigue cut in half!

So if I have a mage that's a master with 4 slaves and they cast a fire spell that incurs 50 fatigue, that would result in 10 fatigue to everyone if they're all the same level in fire magic. If the master has a native level of 3 and the slaves are all Fire 2, then the slaves would take 20 fatigue while the master takes 10. If a slave doesn't have ANY fire magic they take 80 fatigue. And if a slave has 4 fire to the master's 3 then that slave only takes 5 fatigue.

Temporary boosts from certain spells (like the aforementioned Summon Earthpower, which grants +1 Earth for the battle and recovers an extra 4 fatigue per round) are counted for this calculation. So if you're casting Earth spells with several masters and slaves that are all equal level in Earth and one of the masters casts Summon Earthpower, suddenly your slaves are taking half their share of fatigue from every master except the one who cast Summon Earthpower. One strong perk to Astral Communions is that Astral has a spell, Power of the Spheres, that takes an S (aStral) gem to boost EVERY path the mage knows by 1 for that battle. This allows the slaves to take reduced fatigue from basically every spell cast, assuming the mages in the communion all have the same levels in every path of magic (which is rare but not impossible, depending on the nation).

I apologize for the huge tangent about communions and Choruses, I've been playing a lot of nations that can make use of them lately.

IthilionTheBrave fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Yomi can be rough to get off the ground and is dependent on having the right terrain (highlands and mountains) to get there, but shikome with a good bless can be real blenders and even the lowly ko-oni can be a menace with +5 strength and attack.