Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Kaddish posted:

lol what

Getting a lot of "boss baby" vibes from this new Alex Garland movie.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I don't think that's a far off comparison at all? setting, tone, and themes have a lot in common. It's certainly informed by Children of Men.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

R. Guyovich posted:

(also pretty incoherent since trump has never and will never rehearse anything he says, he just dips a popsicle stick into his pudding brain and runs with whatever comes out)

Yes he has actually

https://youtu.be/-SIfGiy-L-I?si=rM3-Tm5i-ExleCxn

He’s done it many times

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think saying it’s inspired by children of men is fair, but I dont think it’s desperately trying to be COM and I don’t think the two movies really set out to do the same thing at all.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The Big Picture's episode on Civil War is out, and has an interview with Alex Garland in the end.

I'm quietly part of Dobb Mob but I think I enjoyed it more than Amanda did. Her point that if you start asking any probing questions regarding why things are happening you can be taken out of the film is understandable.

I'm going to see this again in IMAX in a couple weeks. We'll see if my opinions change if I start noticing the flaws others are noticing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think the big disconnect here is that most of the movie's critics absolutely do get the message the movie is bringing across, and they simply aren't impressed by it.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Imagine making a movie about the experience of the American Civil War and having nothing to say whatsoever about slavery or the belligerents- instead simply reminding people who seem to have forgotten that “war is bad”

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

As a moral fable I won't argue that it offers a rather basic lesson, but I don't think that's the only angle worth critical analysis. I think it works on the level of character-driven hosed up road trip movie, dread-inducing thriller, and pure spectacle too.

I would further contend that trying to lean to far into a fable/polemic about how The Left is Correct and Will Win (even if I agree that's true!) would have made for a worse movie.

I almost wish they'd gone the last few degrees the other direction sanitized the scant mentions of any ideology behind anyone, because the two they drop that I remember (Portland Maoists and "Antifa Massacre") just take you right out trying to interrogate them.

I'm also an easy sell on Children of Men being the superior movie in the "increasingly plausible dystopian nightmare near future" type genre, but there's no shame in falling short of an absolute masterpiece and landing in "pretty intense and compelling."

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Owlbear Camus posted:

As a moral fable I won't argue that it offers a rather basic lesson, but I don't think that's the only angle worth critical analysis. I think it works on the level of character-driven hosed up road trip movie, dread-inducing thriller, and pure spectacle too.

I think it does work on that level, but Garland knows what's he doing by releasing the movie during this election season. If this had come out in the early 00s it would feel very different. He wants you to think about the specific context into which the film is being released. And the muddled politics (the California/Texas thing) only serves to a) confuse the audience or b) make lovely false equivalences between two sides of the conflict.

Like, the final photo is clearly supposed to be evocative of Qaddafi, Bin Laden, Hussein, Mussolini, but what does that comparison say?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

See, I don't really think the to the Texas-California alliance, something a lot of people latched onto when promo material started coming out, is actually a world-building gently caress up.

I think way, way too much hay was made about how implausible that was based solely on the culture war stuff that plays to the cheap seats. In material terms, as far as hypothetical cessationist nation-states some 20+ years in the future there's plenty of plausible basis for alliance. Both big population states with energy extraction industries, both share a border with Mexico, President Offerman is the Enemy of my Enemy, etc.

Before dismissing it out of hand it's probably instructive to look at how at least on their surface real world alliances of material interest are made notwithstanding aesthetic and cultural differences.

I think to some degree Garland does put his thumb on the scale a little to suggest that the Trump expy is in the wrong, but not so much people can't lose themselves in the horror and trhill of things. I think the final photo functions as a bit of a Rorschach test. Arguably the moral lesson of seeing uniformed men posing with the head of state like a trophy buck brought to my mind the montage at the end of NotLD and invites the viewer to think through "Okay, what is the post-revolutionary order going to be" which is a perfectly salient question to think through before an armed revolt.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 14, 2024

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think where I disagree is to me this movie basically did feel like Left Behind: Liberal Edition

Absolutely brutal.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Center-Left Behind

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Absolutely brutal.

It’s also absolutely untrue but whatever

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The actual normie liberal version of this movie doesn't happen because people vote the discontent away and President Bartlett mollifies the secessionist blocs with a big stirring speech and a grand compromise on farm subsidies or something.

In the B-plot Sam Seaborn has to deal with advances from a jilted ex while writing the big reunification speech.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

It’s also absolutely untrue but whatever

Politifact rates this: Four Pinnochios (an opinion can be neither true nor untrue)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

lol fair enough. Definitely don’t agree though

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

hey, if a Civil War movie isn’t provoking disagreement, what’s it even doing, right?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

The actual normie liberal version of this movie doesn't happen because people vote the discontent away and President Bartlett mollifies the secessionist blocs with a big stirring speech and a grand compromise on farm subsidies or something.

In the B-plot Sam Seaborn has to deal with advances from a jilted ex while writing the big reunification speech.

Directed by Aaron Sorkin

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
The CA+TX thing doesn’t seem like THAT big of a stretch. Especially in a decade or two. The energy thing and having the two biggest economies in the country. Plus they (maybe? I’m not willing to do more research) have the two highest populations of service members in the country.

I’d rather be gobbled up into the Western Forces than be absorbed by Canada.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Many of the criticisms of the film in this thread are valid but I enjoyed myself and found it compelling just the same. I know the lack of detail/specifics about the conflict is by design but it's still kind of frustrating at times that we don't know what the hell is going on. The cinematography and sound editing were remarkable, though, and I'm a sucker for Last of Us-core bombed-out landscapes, crumbling infrastructure, and eerily deserted small towns.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Center-Left Behind

PLEASE make this the title of the thread.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know a lot of people have been talking about sound design but the soundtrack itself sure is something. I never thought I’d be sitting in a theater with a bunch of old people while a Suicide track was blasting.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

veni veni veni posted:

I know a lot of people have been talking about sound design but the soundtrack itself sure is something. I never thought I’d be sitting in a theater with a bunch of old people while a Suicide track was blasting.

Closing out the film with "Dream Baby Dream" was a rad choice. Maybe a nod to Adam Curtis, I remember it being used in one of his recent docs.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I was head banging in the theater when Rocket USA came on

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

few people are demanding this be a moral fable or a lecture on the evils of fascism, that would be didactic and boring. the emptiness of the movie's politics is perhaps most clearly articulated when dunst says her reason for being a war photographer is to tell people back home "don't do this."

and sure, a bunch of journalists are probably dumb enough for that to be their entire worldview. but come on. wars and armed conflicts happen for reasons, material reasons, and sometimes they are the only means to achieve justice. garland should know this if he's using footage from the 2020 protests, which didn't escalate into an armed struggle but absolutely could have. would that have been a "don't do this" war?

all we ever get from this conflict is some vague hints at abuses of presidential power, which is deliberate, but even those hints are coded to facile liberal constitutionalist politics. are most civil wars fought over interpretations of jurisprudential documents? no, they're fought by people who have been denied basic human dignity against those who are withholding it from them. think about the journalists who've been slaughtered in gaza. something tells me they're not doing what they're doing because they want to tell the world war is bad. this is how they are telling the world they still exist and will never stop fighting for their survival, whether with a kalashnikov or a camera. surely the photographers and writers who would come out of an american civil war would have similar motives if they were drawn well as characters. but instead, we get...whatever the hell this is.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The specific politics are a kind of bitter observation (from a guy who's country is also collapsing) on how shallow, superficial and lacking in political consciousness Americans are, namely that identity/individualistic politics are a self centered and nihilistic cul-de-sac. It's deliberately atomized and personal, insensible to anyone other than the guy with his finger on the trigger howling his rage into the world.

The problem is that this has already been done better in THE PURGE 1-5 (plus tv show), which explores this ad nauseam.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 15, 2024

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I was just about to say it's the drat Purge.

Jewmanji posted:

And the muddled politics (the California/Texas thing) only serves to a) confuse the audience or b) make lovely false equivalences between two sides of the conflict.

The California-Texas alliance against Trump makes absolutely perfect sense when you realize it's aspirational.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The California-Texas alliance against Trump makes absolutely perfect sense when you realize it's aspirational.

Exactly, lol. There's a sneering, snide comment about Ghaddafi in here akin to Hillary Clinton's "we came, we saw, he died" - the Adults In The Room crash the tinpot dictator's little party.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So I’m sure this got posted but Slashfilm did interview with Alex and gun sounds were asked about

quote:

I'm actually very pleased you said that. The answer is that a gun sound is, in a way, terrifying. A modern automatic rifle or machine gun or 50-caliber machine gun, whatever it happens to be, these are machines that are constructed to kill. That is what they're there for. They do this in this incredibly efficient fashion, and there is something sinister in the noise of something that really only exists for that purpose.

So what we did was we used exactly those noises. We used guns that fired blanks, and we put full flash blanks in them and we recorded that noise as faithfully as we could. That will include the sound of the gun, but also the way it reacts with objects around it.

A huge effort in the film related to reality and the grammar of either lived experience or news photography or documentaries. We were doing that in many, many ways throughout the film, but hugely to do with sound design. Where something happened that meant a bit of recorded noise didn't work for one reason or another, it can be to do with the distortion, it spikes too much or it fritzes or whatever, we would then just record real guns firing and use that. Film, sometimes we'll do little tricks to do with using sub bass or extra noises, and what those extra sounds do is they slightly distance you from the stark, aggressive sound of an automatic weapon firing. Film has a way sometimes of being subtly reassuring within the context of action or violence, and what we did was, where possible, tried to remove those reassurances as much as possible.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

I missed it, can you say what it was? Come and See is an interesting point of reference for Civil War since it had a very very specific political message (the director initially wanted to title the film “Kill Hitler”).

People keep posting things like this but so far no one in this thread has actually articulated anything specific about this movie’s politics. It’s apparently blindingly transparent but I’d love for someone to actually spell it out. It seemed to me to be a very facile provocation.
Sure. HThe very first shot is one of these bad boys:
That isn't the best example from Come and See but you know how the film is full of those focused potrait/head shots where the subject is staring at the camera/breaking the 4th wall in shock/trauma? Its one of those. Filmed with the same focus trick too (not a film expert to know how it's how or what its called sorry).

I was really hoping for more of them as the film went along and there was one more shot that seemed similar but not quite. Of course, the film is all about the camera and lots of shots are similar in that they are looking at the lense but that first one in the bath flashback sequence was a clear homage :)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Exactly, lol. There's a sneering, snide comment about Ghaddafi in here akin to Hillary Clinton's "we came, we saw, he died" - the Adults In The Room crash the tinpot dictator's little party.

The guy given the line is a jaded war tourism junkie who calls witnessing the summary execution of hooded POWs "a rush" so my read was he wasn't necessarily an authorial voice level reliable narrator.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

The guy given the line is a jaded war tourism junkie who calls witnessing the summary execution of hooded POWs "a rush" so my read was he wasn't necessarily an authorial voice level reliable narrator.

I really liked that scene and how it uses the de la soul track to sort of trick you - everyone is celebrating taking the building and marching the prisoners out and then it shifts to a close up of a guy gleefully machine gunning them. Garland talked about how he didn't want the music to glamorize war or seduce the viewer and I thought that subversion worked really well.

It reminded me a lot of a scene in Joseph Heller's "Dispatches" (which anyone who liked this movie and the war journalist theme should read) where a GI is magdumping his m16 into the corpse of a VC soldier and it's twitching with the impacts like in the movie. Heller described the GI as looking like his face was turning inside out with joy at doing this - "truly a man who had shot his wad" . I saw that in the face of the guy manning the machine gun in the movie.

I actually jumped in my seat at a couple of the single gunshots, can't remember doing that since "Heat"

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

question for those who have seen it, I went to the loo at a point and when i returned to the cinema the old guy was dead in the car how did he die??? i'm assuming like a random sniper bullet or something?.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

question for those who have seen it, I went to the loo at a point and when i returned to the cinema the old guy was dead in the car how did he die??? i'm assuming like a random sniper bullet or something?.

You picked like the worst possible time to take a poo poo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lampsacus posted:

He ran over Jesse Plemmons and then everyone hopped into the car. The remaining guy started firing at them and he was hit

That’s funny my brother went and took a piss at the exact same time. He asked the same thing after the movie. What scene for a piss break lol. He was also wondering where the other two guys went.

E: beaten

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
This definitely a "try not to pee during this" film.

Probably shouldn't have had those 2 Narragansetts to go with my pizza slices during the film…

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

giogadi posted:

I was head banging in the theater when Rocket USA came on

The only thing they hosed up on is they should have played Frankie Teardrop. The whole thing.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

Imagine making a movie about the experience of the American Civil War and having nothing to say whatsoever about slavery or the belligerents- instead simply reminding people who seem to have forgotten that “war is bad”

This film makes its politics very clear about the people in charge and what they are doing. If you miss the several flashing signs then that's on you.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

I really got a lot out of that aspect of the movie. The reoccurring rictus grin that both the journalist and the machine gunner boogaloo boy were wearing was truly chilling.

It reminded me a lot of how the Ukraine war and Gaza genocide is being experienced, which is to say voyeuristic scenes of incalculable human suffering being obsessively traded back and forth by amateur "OSINT" junkies. Sure, it's to "document" which is important, but that is only eliding the raw thrill of third hand combat these people online are chasing.

Even if the movie kinda failed, it's a really good document of how we are experiencing the world in the Twitter age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Family
Feb 18, 2023

I liked how Jesse Plemons' character would shift from keeping his finger on the trigger and off of it, as a sign of whether or not he trusts these people when Dunst's people tried to de-escalate the situation. I thought that was good, subtle direction on Garland's part (or if Plemons improvised it).