Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Android Apocalypse posted:

You forgot that the cops (and a decent part of the military) will likely side with Meal Team 6.

I think some members of the military would side with them but The Military is not siding with a coup any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Young Freud posted:

Something that's struck me is that this movie is supposed to be at least 12-20 years in the future and there's no drone warfare which has become increasingly commonplace over the past decade, especially in Syria and Ukraine.

There's a decent amount of stuff in the movie like this. Why isn't social media a bigger part in this conflict? Why is everyone driving cars from the mid 00s? I'm ok with pretty much all of it cause I think despite it feeling "realistic" it's actually pretty stylized.

The only thing that doesn't quite work for me is something a lot of people have pointed out, and it's how small the raid on the white house is. it really does just feel like a couple of humvees and why is the president just waiting there to die? I dunno. I think everything surrounding it makes it forgivable, I did enjoy the whole finale, but I don't know if that part totally stuck the landing. Everything else about the movie that doesn't totally line up I'm perfectly fine with chalking it up to style though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's the kind of thing that'd make sense if the USA hegemony has completely collapsed and the 'President' is just the last idiot dumb enough not to flee the White House months ago, and nobody actually cares except a handful of remaining idiots fighting over poo poo that they're too dumb to realise no longer matters in any material terms.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Minera posted:

there's lots of little things outside of this you can look at closer to ruin the movie for yourself. how did jessica snap multiple photos close together so many times? she has an old school film reel camera. like you have to physically crank a knob to go to the next shot, lol

See, that bothered me more than the fictional western forces. I guess being a camera person, I finally got to experience what gun people feel during movies when they’re not functioning like they do in real life.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

You forgot that the cops (and a decent part of the military) will likely side with Meal Team 6.

Cops only like LARPing as military not actually being in real dangerous combat. Vivaldi, mag dumping into a acorn/child with a cell phone, etc. They're more likely to be the hicks at the gas station. Trying to gouge people while out of harms way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Cops only like LARPing as military not actually being in real dangerous combat. Vivaldi, mag dumping into a acorn/child with a cell phone, etc. They're more likely to be the hicks at the gas station. Trying to gouge people while out of harms way.

Don't forget running press-gangs and exterminating minorities.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's the kind of thing that'd make sense if the USA hegemony has completely collapsed and the 'President' is just the last idiot dumb enough not to flee the White House months ago, and nobody actually cares except a handful of remaining idiots fighting over poo poo that they're too dumb to realise no longer matters in any material terms.

The generals had surrendered the day before, only die hards and the SS were left. So president not-trump was the last one left and wanted to negotiate an escape to Greenland or Alaska which he couldn’t do from a hidden bunker.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

The fact the Western Alliance seemed to have the entire USAF fleet of F-22 Raptors (there's less than 200 in service right now & production stopped in 2011) is another one of those :psyduck: moments.

california and texas are big states with most of the us's military bases yeah

everyone loves the raptor, its a beautiful plane and looks cool as hell and it was just buzzing them for a morale boost before they do their final march on dc, scene makes sense to me

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Vote!

https://twitter.com/PodSaveAmerica/status/1781371061675643058

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

lmao

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

i was really trying to hang in there with him but pod save america appearance may be a bridge too far for me

Drewsky fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 20, 2024

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Drewsky posted:

i was really trying to hang in there with him but pod save america appearance may be a bridge too far for me

:same:, he's loving it up :negative:

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

It is an extremely strange choice to not have any of the main characters be rooting for or fighting for or even commenting on the side they want to win. It forces some of the theming to be ‘war is bad, it’s so bad that it doesn’t really matter what ideology lead to it, it’s just awful’. And in that sense, I like it, or at least it was the right call to make this sort of movie. A typical movie would have more explicit (probably bad) politics that the main characters believe in and fight for, and it would be lovely and contrived.

It’s just dumb to do vaguely political in 2024, when everything loving sucks for obviously lovely reasons.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Apr 20, 2024

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

ex post facho posted:

Breathtaking. Truly Kamala-like.

Kamala at least recognizes that we didn't just fall out of the coconut tree. The war in Civil War seems to have no material basis that could be remotely plausible.

Going to have to echo the comments who have said this movie comes across as weirdly anti-journalism.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The more Alex Garland talks about politics in interviews, the more I'm glad he was relatively restrained in directly articulating his in this movie so that we could let the author die quietly.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Thought the film was ... Ok. I was surprised it didnt go more into the politics of the whole thing, but yeah, as owlbear says, probably for the better.

Feel like whenever it tried to be emotional it fell flat kind of hard. Especially the last scene was pretty bad.

When it just felt like a roadtrip film through a burning country though, it was quite enjoyable.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Oops!

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 20, 2024

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zelah posted:

I think some members of the military would side with them but The Military is not siding with a coup any time soon.

It's only a civil war if, like the real Civil War, a good chunk of the military decides to say gently caress this to America.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

zelah posted:

It's almost impossible to perform a coup without the support of a good portion of the army.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I really liked it. It was an emotionally evocative film for me. In addition to the frequent tension/fear/disgust present throughout, I teared up a bit during the opening scene with the woman suicide bombing the citizens and police/military that were in close combat with one another. I teared up again during the DC assault when the Lincoln Memorial was rocketed. I think that was rooted in seeing on screen the loss of whatever fantasy I had of this country that existed when I was a kid in the 80s/90s. I've been aware that that version of America was a ghost for a while, but to see those moments on screen were really powerful, at least to me.

Lee's journey wasn't emotional for me and I don't think I needed it to be. As many have said, she was a husk of a person. I don't think her aversion to Jessie coming along was because she didn't want to be responsible for her death, but because she feared becoming attached and emotionally vulnerable again. She felt something for her almost immediately upon meeting her, maybe she saw a younger, less jaded version of herself. Lee's progression was a pretty straight line. I appreciated Dunst's performance. And Jessie's trajectory was a mirror to Lee's.

The criticism about 'world building' (whatever that means) and it 'not' being political feel shallow to me. It feels as if those criticisms are wanting the movie to be something it's not. I don't take this as a war movie, but rather a movie about the loss of humanity that has war as it's back drop. We all already have lost our humanity, just as every character in this movie has.

I had similar thoughts about it being a zombie movie without the zombies. The slight difference is, this is the movie that should have come out when zombie movies/shows were everywhere, because contemporary zombie movies have always offered thinly veiled commentary on the state of humanity.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

I’m genuinely impressed at how dumb this man is.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

I listened to this interview. I’ll start by saying that Garland specifically states he is “genuinely grateful for this opportunity to speak freely”, so I take him at his word that the opinions expressed throughout are sincerely held.

My most charitable reading is that Garland truly believes that left leaning politics are correct, but that the left needs to be strategic about its messaging to capture right of center votes and that means avoiding most of the extreme positions. What those positions are is left unsaid.

He is very explicit that he considers Trump to be an existential threat and does not press back on the assertion that the government we see In the movie is supposed to represent a Trumpist government.

My uncharitable reading is that Garland grew up in a classic Labour family in the UK but is now rich and wants to thread the needle between calling himself progressive but still be able to hang out with his rich friends without feeling guilty. Garland himself mentions how he basically starts calling himself a centrist because he can see the value behind the arguments of his conservative friends even if he disagrees.

Regarding war journalists, he essentially denies that the movie is criticizing them or painting them as nihilistic thrill seekers. He admires what they do and ascribes their personalities to the traumas they endure.

So I come off the interview liking Garland himself less, but with my views about the movie itself unchanged. Whether it was intentional or not, the movie doesn’t force a view on on the viewer other than “war is bad, you shouldn’t wait for it to happen here to care or do something to prevent it“, and I think it is very effective in transmitting that message.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

dpkg chopra posted:

Regarding war journalists, he essentially denies that the movie is criticizing them or painting them as nihilistic thrill seekers. He admires what they do and ascribes their personalities to the traumas they endure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37nwLhIA1zs

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
To be mildly charitable to Garland for a moment, there is an ideological trap in getting caught up in the characters’ morality. Like, “oh no! That guy enjoys taking photos in dangerous locations! We- we’ve gotta stop him!”

With that said, the same issue exists in treating the photographers as heroes, or even everyday people who endure such traumas…. Like, who cares? Are these characters actually good at journalism?

It’s especially pertinent because of the ‘meta’ aspect, where Garland’s obviously talking about his own drat movie here. It’s so thrilling - and yet, while remaining objective, it has a message….

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
a constitutionalist junta seemingly sucks every single penny out of the american economy to depose trump and inevitably install biden

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
children of meh

now to read six pages of this thread and see if anyone said that yet

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just saw this movie yesterday and don't really know what to make of it. I think it was an interesting commentary on journalism, and especially the dangers of war journalism. But also a commentary about how to guide new people into the business? These people are kinda hosed up and are definitely seeking adventure and trying to feel alive. And then you got Kirsten Dunst's character who is basically done with the profession, yet still doing it out of a sense of... I guess cuz she's the best at it and doesn't know what else to do? I don't know what to make of it all. I think in general the themes and messages are this movie are solid, but they chose the craziest and most out of pocket form to tell this story.

Like the whole civil war angle just raises more questions, and there is some interesting world building, but not enough. I feel like it was an audacious move to make a movie like this and center it around this sort of conflict, but it definitely is weird they chose this premise to tell this type of story.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Like the whole civil war angle just raises more questions, and there is some interesting world building, but not enough. I feel like it was an audacious move to make a movie like this and center it around this sort of conflict, but it definitely is weird they chose this premise to tell this type of story.

This is pretty much how I feel about it but I don't take it as a negative.

unless you start reading the directors opinions on it... just ignore that.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

me trying to seem really smart after seeing it: why'd they have to make war so political

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

dpkg chopra posted:

I listened to this interview. I’ll start by saying that Garland specifically states he is “genuinely grateful for this opportunity to speak freely”, so I take him at his word that the opinions expressed throughout are sincerely held.

I would take Garland's expressions of his political views with a grain of salt, especially if he admires Adam Curtis as much, and has as much mistrust for the press, as he seems to.

And it's irrelevant. The movie is Garland's statement about what it means to be an artist, and his (and our) addiction to narrative. Kirsten Dust asks questions and shoots. Jesse Plemons asks questions and shoots. (They are also married but that's just a coincidence) And this is not an expression of political both-sides-ism, it's an expression of self-contempt as an artist. How can Dream Baby Dream playing over that final shot characterize it as anything other than the director's (and the audience's) wish fulfillment? Just like the war itself is the main characters' wish fulfillment. I think whatever your politics are, it's okay to be disgusted by that.

However I must say that naming the main character Lee in a movie called Civil War and having her fail her mission because she values human life too much is either the greatest liberal blunder or the boldest right-wing choice in cinema history.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I haven’t seen it but “the civil war movie is a metaphor for self loathing in artistry” makes it sound loving insufferable

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

DeimosRising posted:

I haven’t seen it but “the civil war movie is a metaphor for self loathing in artistry” makes it sound loving insufferable

Self-indictment is the better term but yeah I'm afraid that's what it is.

Edit: also it's not a "metaphor for", it is an "expression of".

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 22, 2024

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Drewsky posted:

A couple days ago I went down nostalgia lane & listened/watched their old Keeping it 1600 podcast they released on November 9, 2016. The palpable shock and dismay heard in their voice was :discourse:.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
*walking out of the theatre* "I need to watch some interviews to figure out if I liked it or not"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
*reads interview* what the gently caress
*sees movie* oh, maybe i misunderstood him, that was great!

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

DeimosRising posted:

You know, that describes Inglourious Basterds pretty well and that movie rocks

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

yeah pretty much lol.

I'll watch it again and probably will enjoy it again.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Magic Hate Ball posted:

the chad "the cute little bear muppets are the viet cong and america is the empire " george lucas vs the virgin "the problem is polarization and the answer is bougie electoralism: vote for milk-blooded centrists to fix everything" alex garland

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd be more sympathetic to the people calling him stupid if the left was actually capable of literally anything other than bickering online with fellow shut ins.

I don't even know wtf a centrist is anymore. Back in the day it used to refer to policy, but as far as I can tell, now a centrist is just anyone who doesn't jump whole hog into whatever culture war poo poo people are super invested in on that specific day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It can be frustrating but you've confused "people who claim to be leftists online" with the entire left movement. I mean, they just unionized a VW factory (the USA is the only nation that VW builds cars in that isn't unionized, oof), it's not all one thing.