Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Yeah that was a good pick. I’m curious why he dropped as far as he did. Lot of smoke about him being a head case but I’m always hesitant to believe that poo poo

He has diabetes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Metapod posted:

He has diabetes

according to the nashville radio crew covering the draft, it's more that he does not manage his type 1, which, ya know, kind of have to to stay healthy.

who knows though, there's so much poisoning of the well for these guys coming out of college to influence their draft stock, and i have not followed the story before this week :shrug:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like the Colts draft so far. First two picks have tons of potential to be near the top of their positions and got some needed o-line depth and potential starter. Just gotta shore up that secondary now.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The Jaguars drafted 3 great athletes with less than ideal career college production, and I guess we'll see if any of the lottery tickets cash out (they usually don't)

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Yeah that was a good pick. I’m curious why he dropped as far as he did. Lot of smoke about him being a head case but I’m always hesitant to believe that poo poo

Ballard had thoughts:

https://x.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1784054787404902675

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

JT Jag posted:

The Jaguars drafted 3 great athletes with less than ideal career college production, and I guess we'll see if any of the lottery tickets cash out (they usually don't)

Baalke really likes doing this

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Well said.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

BiggerBoat posted:

Baalke really likes doing this
I hate it.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

This rules.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
LOVE Cedric gray there. Favorite pick so far

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Yeah that was a good pick up

Carthon was the late round draft guy in San Francisco so I have high hopes for these later round dudes

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The Jaguars have continued their trend of drafting athletic lottery tickets by drafting two more at DT and CB, an undersized speedster with no production at RB, along with an offensive tackle who isn't very athletic but has great production, and I immediately have more faith in the big guy with good tape than anyone else the Jags have picked since at least the third round

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

JT Jag posted:

The Jaguars have continued their trend of drafting athletic lottery tickets by drafting two more at DT and CB, an undersized speedster with no production at RB, along with an offensive tackle who isn't very athletic but has great production, and I immediately have more faith in the big guy with good tape than anyone else the Jags have picked since at least the third round

Yeah, Baalke has a history of drafting guys who LOOK like they can play football instead of dudes who actually can.

I've posted it before, but the Jaguars over the years have to be the absolute worst when it comes to drafting players. It's honestly incredible given how often they've drafted in the top 10/5 over the last 15 years. You'd think they'd hit on a few superstars by loving accident.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

drafting a tight end when you already have dalton schulz seems a little odd but other texans fans seem to like the pick so maybe it is fine

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, Baalke has a history of drafting guys who LOOK like they can play football instead of dudes who actually can.

I've posted it before, but the Jaguars over the years have to be the absolute worst when it comes to drafting players. It's honestly incredible given how often they've drafted in the top 10/5 over the last 15 years. You'd think they'd hit on a few superstars by loving accident.
Look back at the 2020 draft, it's literally one of the worst drafts in NFL history

Only one player from that draft is even still on the roster, and it's a pretty mid DT they gave a way too big contract to who they actively wish they could cut

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

drafting a tight end when you already have dalton schulz seems a little odd but other texans fans seem to like the pick so maybe it is fine

Having multiple TEs is good

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Don’t love the WR pick but ultimately it’s a back of roster guy anyway. If they wanted an impact WR they would have missed out on gray or brownlee

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
6th round pick I just hope he's a good returner

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

yeah he could just be a returner, he was at tulane.

given that’s been a cursed position for the titans, not a bad investment tbqh. kinda weird they didn’t just get malik washington given how popular he is with draft nerds but maybe they just dont like him for whatever reason.

also fun, he was tyjae spears’ roommate at tulane and tyjae was at the draft party when he got picked.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Soul Glo posted:

yeah he could just be a returner, he was at tulane.

given that’s been a cursed position for the titans, not a bad investment tbqh. kinda weird they didn’t just get malik washington given how popular he is with draft nerds but maybe they just dont like him for whatever reason.

also fun, he was tyjae spears’ roommate at tulane and tyjae was at the draft party when he got picked.

#buds

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Look back at the 2020 draft, it's literally one of the worst drafts in NFL history

Only one player from that draft is even still on the roster, and it's a pretty mid DT they gave a way too big contract to who they actively wish they could cut

The only two players they've even hit on in the last 5 years are Trevor Lawrence (who was a gimme and the jury's still out on him) and Josh Allen. Their horrible drafting goes way back further than Baalke. Christ, their last real legit good draft pick/hit might be loving Maurice Jones Drew now that I'm sitting here thinking about it. I guess you could say Jalen Ramsey but that was a dumpster fire too.

For over a decade they were drafting in the top ten (and often top five) and if anyone can name a real star they chose anywhere I'm all ears. Luke Joekel, Justin Blackmon and Blake Bortles in the top five I believe. Trading up for Bortles and Blaine Gabbert and Derrick Harvey and Donte Fowler. It's the main reason they've sucked for so long.

Seriously, go look at this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacksonville_Jaguars_draft_history

Incredible

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I don't understand how Baalke still has a job, he has the weirdest predilections when it comes to drafting and he's usually dead wrong. the BTR pick in the 1st was good but outside of that it's a lot of "we'll see". the only good choices he's made was hiring Pederson to coach the collection of bizarre talent he assembles

lobster shirt posted:

its CJ's old college TE so that alone makes it a pretty good pick, should offer him another comfortable safety valve and he's pretty raw but very athletic.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Titans 2024

1 (7) J.C. Latham, OT Alabama
2 (38) T’Vondre Sweat, DT Texas
4 (106) Cedriq Gray, LB UNC
5 (146) Jarvis Brownlee Jr, CB Louisville
6 (182) Jha’Quan Jackson, WR Tulane
7 (242) James Williams, S Miami
7 (252) Jaylen Harrell, OLB Michigan

Three starting pillars into depth secondary into two special teamers into athletic potential edge. After how splashy FA was, totally fine with this foundational draft.

Couple more rounds of FA once cuts start happening and we’ll have a team!!

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
feels a lot like the Titans got hosed on their first two picks where their ideal guy got selected right before them, but not a terrible haul

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Overall i feel pretty drat good about it. I would have liked to see them try and accrue more picks but for staying Pat at all their spots, they hit their needs and got some guys with upside late in both seventh rounders. Overall the Gray pick is my favorite given where they were able to get him but I do like sweat a lot also.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Relentlessboredomm posted:

feels a lot like the Titans got hosed on their first two picks where their ideal guy got selected right before them, but not a terrible haul

No one knows what their board was

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Colts Draft:

1: DE-Laiatu Latu (UCLA)
2: WR-Adonai Mitchell (Texas)
3: OL-Matt Goncalves (Pitt)
4: C-Tanor Bortolini (Wisc)
5: WR-Anthony Gould (Oregon St.)
5: LB-Jaylon Carlies (Mizzou)
5: CB-Jaylin Simpson (Auburn)
6: CB-Micah Abraham (Marshall)
7: DT-Jonah Laulu (Oklahoma)

Couple picks with high upside. Latu is more anti Ballard, he wasn't the most freakish player with mediocre productions, he was an above average athlete with elite production. We'll see how that goes. I love the gamble on a falling AD Mitchell, hopefully Ballard's words ring true and he works out. Having Richardson/JT/Pittman/Mitchell/Downs is a pretty solid start behind a good offensive line.

Speaking of the line, it looks like they added depth to help with how banged up Kelly and Braden Smith have been the last couple years. not a bad idea since the run of CBs really limited the Colts options.

Got some secondary help, as Carlies is probably a Safety or S/LB hybrid type, and a couple other DBs. Gould will probably compete to be a teamer/PS guy, and Laulu is a RAW guy with incredible traits.

Would've loved for the draft to fall differently, but I can't complain about the picks with the players available when the Colts drafted.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 28, 2024

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Gould was a really good KR in college, you can pencil him in as one of the primary guys there IMO.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

https://x.com/buckreising/status/1784695704226533419?s=46

Our quarterback has fully ingratiated himself into the local culture

Potential av material:

https://x.com/corycurtis2/status/1784693304598077727?s=46

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 28, 2024

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
https://www.click2houston.com/sport...-full-recovery/

I'm glad he's okay, he must have angled his armor.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

TSBX posted:

https://www.click2houston.com/sport...-full-recovery/

I'm glad he's okay, he must have angled his armor.

quote:

Dell has already been released from the hospital Sunday and is expected to make a full recovery. Dell was not involved in the altercation at Cabana Live and was caught in the cross-fire. Florida police announced that a 16-year-old suspect has been taken into custody after the incident where 10 people, including Dell, a former University of Houston standout, suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

man, this country

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://x.com/RNBWCV/status/1784675268193305036

Interesting grades from media consensus. I've been loving unhinged Titans blogs lately. They're so wild, talking about if this makes them more of a playoff contender.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yeah if levis makes a leap and oline is fixed by papa Callahan the 7th seed is definitely reachable

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

fun how you have to go all the way down to 21 before you find a single team with a grade below a C-

and someone had the gall to give the Falcons an A

Intruder fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 30, 2024

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

fun how you have to go all the way down to 21 before you find a single team with a grade below a C-

and someone had the gall to give the Falcons an A

Really it's just gonna matter if it works or not. If Cousins' doesn't stay healthy and Penix has to play and plays ok, no one will remember it as a huge reach.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

EvilBeard posted:

Really it's just gonna matter if it works or not. If Cousins' doesn't stay healthy and Penix has to play and plays ok, no one will remember it as a huge reach.
I'm sure it will be easy for them to just flip the offense to account for him being a lefty

\/\/\/ yuuup

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ok but that's true for literally any player so it makes grading immediately after the draft pointless (which is already fairly true)

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

Ok but that's true for literally any player so it makes grading immediately after the draft pointless (which is already fairly true)

Well, to me, grading a draft is a lot of the time "which team mitigated the most risk." Since only 1/3 of draft picks get 2nd contracts from their original team, it's about using those resources (especially the valuable picks) in impactful ways. Atlanta gets a poor grade because this involves a ton of risk (and cost in the terms of $100M of Cousins) vs reward. Teams that generally draft below consensus, stick to positional value, and don't shed extra trade capital generally end up with stronger rosters.

Like, I always get irked when Ballard trades back, because he always ends up with a billion 5-7 round picks. Sure, that's great for ST and maybe finding some replacement level starters, but you have to get needle movers with the high leverage picks. If you turn those early picks into later picks with more lottery tickets, you end up with a team of B+ talent.

With Atlanta, if they drafted Penix #8 and he ends up being the 2nd best QB in this draft and has a solid 5-6 year run? No one will care, they gambled this once and beat the dice roll. But if they continue to make those type of gambles, they'll end up the Jags.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Grading drafts is fun and stupid. If you don’t take it seriously you can have nice things like the draftermath thread. If you take it seriously you end up with tweet spreadsheets indicating where the content creator plans to plant their next pipe bomb, as seen above. Anybody with a pulse knows you can’t assess these things until a few years later (or six months later in Isaiah Wilson’s case lol.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I always have fun going back like 5 years and taking a second look at draft grades at the time.

Man...I wish I had Mel Kiper's jobs I swear.