Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Let me tell you about the best experience. Local town, I became known to all the local cops but really I was known to the whole town - I was kinda a big deal - and as such maybe they treated me with kid gloves. Maybe I got all sorts of breaks and exemptions and footnotes, so on and such, for years. Maybe I was just part of the town institution.

I did get busted, for trying to steal this giant life sized wooden cow. Me and my accomplice had to wash the police and fire vehicles for 8 weeks.

It was awesome, I became friends with all the cops and fire fighters and we all had a business like arrangement going forward. I throw a huge party, they break it up super late, some folks get rides home, etc....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I became friends with this one cop, Rusty. He was a big fat man and on the surface you see this guy, a big fat rural cop, and you make your assumptions.

And they're probably accurate. Most of the time. But not here.

Not with Rusty. This guy had the heart of a lion, a bear, I don't even know how to describe him, he went out of his way to keep me out of trouble.

And when I was actually busted and sentenced to washing police cars and fire trucks, Rusty befriended me and was so freaking cool. I went out on patrol with him. He taught me how to drive with "no hands" - with my knee. In the cop car, I'm driving the cop car around the back parking lot with my knee with Rusty in the passenger seat.

He died 5 years ago, I wasn't part of his life for 30 years so I had no invite to the funeral, but when I heard he passed I really wished I had a chance to speak, because he changed my life and was a hell of a man.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol I got jumped by a guy with a sledgehammer and we fought and I took the sledgehammer from him, and one of his eyes, but he was able to escape in an accomplice's vehicle.

I called the Boston PD and the cop shows up and is like a "Sigh" personified. I tell him all the details but he's just yah yah yahing me.

I give him the sledgehammer used to attack me, thinking he'll need it to dust for prints. He just sighs and shrugs and throws it in his trunk.

A day or two later I was in the Boston Detective HQ, expecting a lineup or some such but LOL to that. Honestly peering into the heart of their detective department made me want to become a Batman villain.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bouillon Rube posted:

Did you give them the eye too?

lol it broke upon contact

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Kirk Vikernes posted:

A more wtf than bad moment with a cop was the day after my brother died in my bathroom. He had received a 2 disc DVD set of some movie via USPS that had 3 balloons of heroin hidden in the case and OD'd. The detective was in the house for probably a couple hours after going through everything, waiting on the coroner, etc. However, he forgot to take the heroin with him. I called him and asked him what to do with it and he said, "Just bring it with you when you come to the station to give your statement". I did, but lol.

Also, if you want to blow a small town detective's mind, time travel back to 2009 and try to explain to them purchasing drugs on the internet but you can't pay with cards on the drug website. You have to go to some sketchy website and convert your money into gold bullion and pay with that. I might as well have been explaining underground lizard people to him.

Sorry about your brother.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Any fans of the Silmarillion will know the story of how Sauron was defeated and taken prisoner, but in his imprisonment he corrupted his jailers, such that eventually they all came to worship him. And Eru laid a heavy punishment on the land.....

This was me in my local town. I threw HUGE parties, all over, all the time. The cops knew. Workmanlike relationship.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I was in county jail in Texas in 2006. I'd gotten pulled over with no valid stickers on my car and expired license and they found the brass knuckles I had lost.

Anywho, I'd been in county for about 3 weeks and got made trustee so we had to move from the pod to main jail to go cook. We were waiting for the van to come get us and there is a big NO WEAPONS sign in the hallway. The CO watching us was making conversation and he says something along the lines of
:cop: I hope y'all didn't sneak any knives in lol, hey Beer_Suitcae got any weapons?
:v: Only my rapier wit
:cop: What?
:v: oh I guess you didn't bring yours
He makes a grumpy face then points to me
:cop: strip search this one

And I had to get all the way nekked in a hallway n squat n cough for the sake of my dumb joke

gently caress the police and correction officers as well

Life lesson: Say nothing

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

credburn posted:

A cop once told me, "I've got a gun for every room in my house and that includes the closets. There is a sign on my door to warn firemen to let the house burn, because I got explosives, too."

Man just give me my loving ticket so I can go about my day.

Thin Blue Line Punisher

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I set up this giant party in a sand pit that drew kids from three or more towns, it was huge and awesome. We got this giant bonfire going and that was probably a mistake as about 1 am every local town fire and police rolled in and it was a HUGE event. So many cars towed for example.

I paid for and had a returnable deposit on both kegs so me and the boys shuffled them off into the woods as the cops and firefighters ruined everything.

And so began the hours long adventure of hitchhiking back into town with two mostly empty kegs...

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I threw this giant banger of a party at my parent's house 1 week out from graduation, and everyone was there, I think even maybe a teacher but I might be misremembering that. Some adult figure...

Anyways, it was huge. Cars lined up long down the street and the music thumping in this suburban neighborhood within walking distance to the school.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I am proud to say I have no cops in my family or extended family as far as I can think.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

my cousin's married to a detective and he's the most boring guy ever. tells stories about shopping for the best deal on pool service, or how he was making burgers the other day and the grill had some big flames coming out of it.

He's deep under cover

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Szyznyk posted:

There are two kinds of Irish families. Mine was the kind where Uncle Tommy did 3 years up at Concord for coke.

lol we're that kind.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

redm posted:

flipped off a cop at a BLM protest and got jailed for 3 weeks

For real? There must be more to it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

redm posted:

wait I almost forgot they also held me without charges and forced me to agree not to sue them when they let me go haha

Why haven't you sued? It sounds like your rights were totally abused and violated.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Real Amethyst posted:

Do cops in the US actually make you say the ABC's backwards for sobriety test? Because I wouldn't be able to do that sober.

lol yeah

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Me and some boys drove from Maine to Quebec as 18 year olds for the party times and it was an ongoing series of full eagle searches, interrogation rooms, bad French...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Waste of Breath posted:

I was so anxious about cops as a 16 year old driver that even though I never tried alcohol until I turned 21, I practiced saying the ABCs backwards in case a cop at a sobriety checkpoint asked me.

Never got a chance to put it into use, but I can do it fast enough now that it'd probably be seen as a different sort of red flag.

lol I do it almost every morning as a brainteaser, after just waking up. I stretch my ankles to it lol.