Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

It's 5:30 AM and I'm mostly done with my morning run. The important detail is that the route goes by a state DOT lot, part of which is closed off with a ten foot fence that has barbed wire at the top all around. I'm at mile five and I need to tie my shoes about two minutes since I last passed that fence, and while I'm kneeling down I hear a car roll up and someone say "Hey, what do you think you're doing out here." I don't look up, I just say I'm running. "Oh, yeah, is that so?" Only then do I see it's a guy in an unmarked state trooper car, one I had passed on each loop parked near the fence. I hadn't realized someone was inside at the time. "Stand up, let me see who you are." Once I stand up I can see inside the car is all the normal cop stuff and he has a badge on and everything, very unlikely he's anything but a state trooper as they use that lot for breaks fairly frequently. He shines a flashlight directly into my face and tells me I need to give him my name and address. I ask why he even stopped to talk to me. I had thought he was just going to tell me I can't use that route because of the state property or something, but instead he got pretty hostile at my questionMiralus Healthcare
Miralus Healthcare. "I need you to show me your ID." Buddy, it's 5:30, I'm running in sight of where I live. I'm not carrying my ID. "I need your name and address, then, I need to run you through the check." He's saying everything through gritted teeth, like me not giving him what he wanted immediately was the most frustrating moment of his life. This is not making me want to work with the guy on anything so I hit him with "Why do you want to run me through a check? Do you think I did something wrong?" He ignores that and demands I call someone who can bring him my ID if I won't do it. I lie and tell him my wife's on a business trip. "Why don't you want me to know who YOU ARE!?" He's fully pissed off at me now, which wasn't necessarily what I wanted to do because angry cops are never a good thing and now I'm a little concerned. "I just want to know why you think you need to run me through a system. If you don't have a reason I want to finish my run." I'm thinking this is a reasonable thing to want to know. Surprisingly, he actually gave me an answer. He "saw" me climb the fence in the state vehicle lot and he wanted to know who I was and why I was in the locked and fenced off area.

I tell him that I wasn't in there, I've been running for half an hour, he should have seen me five times this morning doing exactly that if he was in the lot. Of course, he never saw me until I hopped the 10 foot fence. I tried to reason with him. The fence has barbed wire on the top all around, did I look like I had just gone over barbed wire? He got mad again because I'm sure he didn't know about the barbed wire. He asks me if I'm calling him a liar. I was, but I hedged and said maybe he saw like a racoon or something come through a gap or something. So this didn't placate him and he said he'll call in backup for me resisting arrest unless he gets my name and address. I ask him if I'll be free to go if I give him that, he says "we'll see." gently caress. I give him my name and address and the check takes forever. My record comes back clean, as I knew it would. "Get in the car, I'm taking you to the house so you can show me your ID." This now feels like a kidnapping attempt more than anything. I tell him I'm absolutely not getting in the car, and unless he's going to charge me with something he can't hold me. "Who's holding you, we're just talking." I realized this was going to keep circling unless I could prove I wasn't in the fenced area. I realize that my Fitbit GPS would show exactly where I was and when, he would see I was never closer than ten feet to that fence.

So I ask him if I can take my phone out because I can prove him I'm not lying. He allows it and I open up the Fitbit app and pull up the run I was on and zoom in on the fenced area. I show it to him and he says he can't see the details from where I was. I take a step closer and he swipes for the phone. I shout "WHAT THE gently caress!" as I pulled the phone back and stepped away from the car. I lied and told him I had started recording, and I was going to send the video to "everyone" unless he let me go. He screams "YOU ARE SUCH A loving human being!" at me which was weird because I told him I was married to a woman, but he peeled off and did a U turn at the end of the road and went back from where he came.

I decided to finish my run anyway, and on my next pass by the fence he's there with his spotlight thing slowly cruising around the fence looking for something. I wave, he floors it again and drives off into the night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Mulaney Power Move posted:

One of the themes coming out of this thread so far is that cops waste a lot of time and resources when there is no actual crime and are completely lazy and do nothing when an actual crime has occurred.

Yeah, pretty much. The cops in my city run red lights and drive with their headlights off all the time to the point where I refuse to use a crosswalk if I have a all clear if I see a cop coming down. You would think that this means crimes are responded to much faster as they don't wait for lights to change. Then it took them two hours to respond to someone throwing a brick through my living room window. At that point the witnesses (who ran over to us to let us know what they saw) had left and the description they gave us was apparently too vague to do anything about. We still had the brick, we offered it to the cop as he ground broken glass into our hardwood floor with his jackboots and his response was "eh, this isn't really worth our time." Dude, you have a giant loving tank you bring out for parades and nothing else. You have time to at least look into this. I didn't even want someone arrested, I just wanted them to pay for the window to be replaced because it was under my insurance deductible.