Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Opopanax posted:

poo poo, what do people use for image hosting now? I forgot imgur doesn't work right anymore

i still use https://lpix.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Voodoofly posted:

Opop you can post them in your confessional and then timg the “share” link. See broken quote

I prefer discord, I just have no idea how long images will last

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Maerlyn posted:

I prefer discord, I just have no idea how long images will last

All these recipes like tears in the rain

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Hello everyone, hope you've had a nice Saturday!

I now present to you

~~PUSSY'S SOUP~~

I tried to follow Grandi's lead as best I could, while making a few changes of my own.
First, our bird. I didn't have any frozen chicken bits to make stock out of, nor any stock made so I grabbed a cheap rotisserie chicken at the grocery store.

Break that bird down! All the breast meat in the lower left, gonna save the legs for another meal, carcass and bits in the top left and the top right is a pile of chicken skin that will come back into play later.

Carcass went into a pot with some water and started cookin.
Here's our onions

I chopped them up, and also threw the ends and the skins into the stock pot.

Onions start cookin down, not pictured is the fat glob of butter i melted down in the pan first.

I skimmed the scum from the stock, then added in some garlic and our thyme and cilantro

Onions cooking more

Still cooking

Lets check back in on our stock...yum!

Here's our noodles and also pictured is some baby bok choy

I get these noodles at the asian market near me and they are so good, plus they look so cute with their little wrapper all bundled up.

Onions how you doing?

For our soup base, I made a couple of additions. Soy and Miso as the base, a tsp of sesame oil, 1/2 tsp of dashi, a splash of mirin, and a tablespoon of chili crisp. I will also add a ladle full of hot water from the noodles later to this mixture.

Onions! lets go im hungry hurry up!

Okay we are ready for plating...wait whats this? A late entry? Chicken Skin?? Air Fried???? OH LORD!

And here we go! A finished bowl of Pussy Soup, with some cilantro and lime for garnish. Not picture is the 4 minutes it took to boil the noodles and bok choy together.

It was really good.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

And a bonus sneak peak of whats marinating for tomorrows fusion dish

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'll make some yummy fusion later assuming the weather doesn't suddenly decide to flip me off

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Fusion Cooking: Chaufa Rice

with apologies to wol if I screw up anything on the explanation here!

So this is a bit of a different take on "fusion" as this comes pre-fused in origin! Chifa cooking is a whole genre of Peruvian cooking that came to be with the influx of Chinese field workers in the mid XIX century. The culinary uses of the migrants and the need to conserve food slowly merged up with, and influenced, the local cooking, giving rise to a whole slew of fusion plates that got hispanized as Chifa. And what comes out if you fuse a couple of the most varied, wide and tasty gastronomies in the world can be nothing short of great, really. This is one of the staples: pretty easy, pretty cheap, and tasty as hell. We're doing fried rice, Peru style.

We need rice. This should be long grain rice, but while I did buy it, I hosed up and sent it for home delivery arriving after lunchtime. Oops. So this is "bomba" rice instead, short, round grain rice used for paella and other soupy dishes. Not ideal for frying, but it'll do.

Wash it up well, you don't want a lot of starch for frying or it'll be a block. You want to cook it, then cool it so it'll fry without disintegrating. You also want to use leftover boiled rice from the cooler if you had some, I didn't.

You want an omelette. Beat those eggs, put them on a very hot non-sticky pan with a swig of oil.

You want some chicken. Dice it, add some salt and pepper (and not pictured: a swig of soy sauce), let it marinade while you prepare the rest of the stuff.

You also want spring onion (I used normal onion, didn't have the correct one), grated ginger, some peppers or carrots if you're so inclined, and hot dogs. Yeah, trust me, they work wonders here. They can be subbed for ham too. Also pictured: soy sauce, oyster sauce. Not pictured but used: a drip of sesame oil.

If you have a working wok, use it. Mine wasn't on a good state and doesn't work too well with the lovely fires anyway, so I used a normal pan. Fry the onion and ginger in oil until soft. Add the chicken and hot dog, let them cook a bit and let out all the excess water. Take them out, reserve.

Add some more oil, fry the remaining veggies. When they're soft and the heat is high, add the rice, removing to coat it evenly in oil. You want it to brown a bit.

Whenever your rice looks decently cooked, add the meats back up, the shredded omelette, and mix well to combine. Top with soy sauce, a swig of oyster sauce and some drips of sesame oil if you feel so inclined. Again, mix well.

Serve. Picture isn't the best, round rice looking like quinoa here, but goddamn if this wasn't tasty as hell and isn't going onto the cookbook for another time.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Weather is nice today, so no more soup, but if anybody needs a quick and easy soup recipe, here's Clo's Grandma's Oatmeal Soup:

Take two handfuls of oatmeal, fry them with a bit of butter. Add 250 mL of vegetable broth, cook until slimy. Great when you need something quick to warm you up, or when you're feeling sick.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Cloacamazing! posted:

Weather is nice today, so no more soup, but if anybody needs a quick and easy soup recipe, here's Clo's Grandma's Oatmeal Soup:

Take two handfuls of oatmeal, fry them with a bit of butter. Add 250 mL of vegetable broth, cook until slimy. Great when you need something quick to warm you up, or when you're feeling sick.

This but with rice and sometimes a bit of garlic added to the butter is also a "sick" soup staple at home :)

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.
Ooh, everyone's food looks so good! I'm gonna cook something tonight, hope it turns out well (or at least interesting).

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
jesse we have to cook

(tonight.)

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Tfw I decide to pick the most complicated-looking soup recipe to make and don't even have the resources to do it right 💀

Welp, improv time!

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Wind's Not-Quite-Mexican Soup

I followed this recipe but modifying due to lack of ingredients, lack of a gas burner, and science!

1. Peel off 4 strips of lime for zest and juice 3 limes in total. If you have a grapefruit on hand, peel and juice it, but I couldn't find one.

2. Chop a large onion in half.

3. Throw in half the onion, chicken thigh filet (supposed to be drumstick but I couldn't find any), 4 dried bay leaves, 15 black peppercorns, 5 allspice berries, a cinnamon stick, 4 garlic cloves (supposed to be unpeeled but I peeled them anyway), and a generous pinch of oregano. I used dried but it should've been fresh, so I put extra.

4. Add chicken broth (I used bouillon) and fill with water until everything is submerged. I guess the onion is gonna float no matter what you do. Get the soup steaming and keep it cooking for around half an hour — the thickest part of the chicken should be 150°F/66°C.

5. Dry fry unpeeled garlic cloves until they're blackened.

6. Dry fry tomatoes until they're blistered and puffy. The recipe didn't say to cut them, but I cut them to make them easier to peel later.

7. In the meantime, chop up the other onion half and some chili peppers. The recipe called for Hungarian wax pepper but I went with piri-piri. 🔥

8. Peel the tomatoes and garlic. Chop up and throw in with the chopped onion and chili.

9. Once the chicken is thoroughly cooked, strain the broth into another pot and set it aside to cool.

10. Add in the lime zest (and grapefruit if you used it) and let it absorb into the broth.

11. Throw all the minced ingredients into a pan with some oil and fry it until it's soft but not blackened. This is the sofrito.

12. Remove the zest from the cooled broth and pour the sofrito into the pot. Also pour the lime juice (and grapefruit if you had it in the first place). Add salt to taste.

13. Shred some chicken into a bowl.

14. Pour the soup broth over the shredded chicken, garnish with a lime wheel, throw in fresh coriander/cilantro (whatever you wanna call it) and enjoy! 🙂 I skipped frying the tortilla strips as suggested in the recipe because I already have a massive amount of dishwashing to do lol.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I am making soup tonight for dinner, everyone's soup looks great but it's matzo ball time.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Sheesh, that took me close to 2 hours. It turned out really great, but who knows if I'll have the drive to make it again xD

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I made potato leek soup and also a corn, lime avocado chutney which I put over filet that was souz vide. However, my power went out halfway through and I was freaking out to finish so only took like three pics. Ended up “searing” the filet on the grill and it wasn’t what I wanted.

Will upload what I have.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Given that complicated fried pizza from yesterday I decided to go easy on the soup today. I like root vegetable soup, so here's some carrot, potato, daikon and leek with tomato paste and chicken stock cubes. I totally forgot I also had edamame beans lying around or I would've put that in too.

First some onion, garlic and ginger though. And a bit of that tomato paste.

Once boiled nicely, finish off with a bit of light soy sauce and chili oil.

Also I boiled up some frozen chicken gyoza.

Gyoza soup!

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

WindwardAway posted:

Sheesh, that took me close to 2 hours. It turned out really great, but who knows if I'll have the drive to make it again xD

You soup looks amazing and that style soup is one of my comfort foods.

If you want I can send you my recipe that usually takes an hour or so and is similar in the end (tomato based lime chicken mexican soup). Here is a picture that I made a couple weeks ago, including the quesadilla spear as sort of a grilled cheese and tomato soup combo).

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
How do I upload images from my iPhone easily on mobile and why is this not a built in feature of the forums

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

merk posted:

How do I upload images from my iPhone easily on mobile and why is this not a built in feature of the forums

post them in your confessional

use the share link from confessional

throw that in [timg] codes

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I decided to get some recipe help from my buddy named ChatGPT. I am serving up creamy potato leek soup, an avocado chutney, and some beef filet.

Here are most of my ingredients:

For the soup:

quote:

Certainly! How about a creamy potato leek soup? It's rich and satisfying, without tomatoes or mushrooms. Here's a simple recipe:

Ingredients:
- 3 large leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped chives or parsley for garnish (optional)

Instructions:
1. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute.
2. Add the sliced leeks to the pot and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the diced potatoes and broth to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer, covered, for about 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
4. Once the potatoes are cooked through, use an immersion blender or transfer the mixture to a blender in batches to puree until smooth.
5. Return the pureed soup to the pot if needed. Stir in the heavy cream or half-and-half until well combined. Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Continue to simmer the soup for another 5-10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
7. Serve the creamy potato leek soup hot, garnished with chopped chives or parsley if desired. Enjoy alongside your steak dinner!

This soup's creamy texture and subtle flavors make it a delightful accompaniment to steak, providing a comforting and satisfying start to your meal.

I only captured a couple pics because my power went out. Here’s what I got:

I first needed to cook down the onions and leeks which I chopped and sliced.

Now that our detour is complete, push those onions to the side, we're making chicken stock. I've been saving chicken bits from every time I break down a chicken or chicken pieces and throwing it all in a zip top bag in the fridge until I finally get around to making chicken stock. There are 3 chicken carcasses, and a dozen thigh bones, a neck and some skin and fat off cuts in… ok it’s just grocery store stock

Unfortunately, this is where the pics for the soup stopped because of power issues. It ended up being pretty good but was not completely pureed since I couldn’t run my blender.

For the avocado chutney:

quote:

Certainly! How about trying a Grilled Corn and Avocado Salad with a lime dressing? It's a simple and refreshing fusion dish that pairs well with steak. Here's how to make it:

Ingredients:
- 3-4 ears of corn, husked
- 2 ripe avocados, diced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
1. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Place the corn directly on the grill and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly charred on all sides, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from the grill and let it cool slightly.
2. Once the corn is cool enough to handle, carefully cut the kernels off the cob and transfer them to a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the diced avocado, chopped red onion, and chopped cilantro to the bowl with the grilled corn.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper to make the dressing.
5. Pour the dressing over the corn, avocado, onion, and cilantro mixture. Gently toss until everything is well coated in the dressing.
6. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
7. Serve the grilled corn and avocado salad as a side dish alongside your steak dinner.

This salad offers a delightful combination of smoky grilled corn, creamy avocado, and tangy lime dressing, adding a burst of fresh flavors to your meal. Plus, it's quick and easy to make, perfect for a fusion-inspired side dish!

I decided to put this on the steaks instead of as a side dish so I could go for a fusion credit.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Everyone is making some delicious looking food so far!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
It's time to fuse! Mexico Döner, an unhealthy amalgamation of chili and döner!

Chili con carne is a spicy dish with minced meat, red beans, corn and tomatoes, usually served with rice and a healthy amount of spices. Its spicyness can range from "I can taste the beans, did you forget to use spices?" to "AAAAAAAAH IT BURNS ON ENTRY AND ON EXIT MY ENTIRE INTESTINE IS ON FIRE!". The excat level of spicyness depends on the personal taste. I'm European, so I tend towards the lower end of the scoville scale and may add yogurt if it's too much.

A döner is a quarter of flatbread filled with kebap meat, salad, onions, vegetables and a garlic sauce. It's the unofficial German national dish, to the point that my favorite politician ever ran on a platform of "Legalize weed. Make state buy all busses, pools, cinemas, etc and sell ticket for one euro. Make state build döner stalls on every street corner, döner costs two euros.". Sadly, the good man was arrested for spraying "SATAN'S MONKEY" on the election ads of all of his rival parties and thus his political career ended before he could fulfill his dream.

Disregarding the political implications of the two euro döner, what we do here is we make chili, we fill the flatbread with it, we put cheese on top of it, we bake the whole thing and if I hadn't forgotten to buy the avocado, we could also spread guacamole on top of this tower because apparently that makes it Mexican.

It's delicious.

Illusionis
Dec 12, 2011
I made Chanterelle soup:

Started off by frying the chanterelles and some onion in the pot.

Then added some veggies stock and left to simmer for ~20 minutes.

And finished it off with some heavy cream, black pepper and herbs.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

merk posted:

I decided to get some recipe help from my buddy named ChatGPT.

##vote merk

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Voodoofly posted:

You soup looks amazing and that style soup is one of my comfort foods.

If you want I can send you my recipe that usually takes an hour or so and is similar in the end (tomato based lime chicken mexican soup). Here is a picture that I made a couple weeks ago, including the quesadilla spear as sort of a grilled cheese and tomato soup combo).

Oh, sweet! Yeah I think I just took forever cause I made a mess with the limes and tomatoes, didn't have a gas burner to roast the tomatoes and garlic quicker (couldve done it on the grill if it were set up for the season), and couldn't find my meat thermometer so I stewed the chicken for an extra 10 minutes or so to ensure it was completely cooked.

Yours looks great with the quesadilla, yum!

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

##vote merk
3 games in a row i cant believe it
##vote merk

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I think I am up to date on points and purchases, if you think I missed something, let me know.

A friendly reminder, please send me your recipes in your confessional before the end of Night 1.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Before the end of Night 1 you say... So that means before we eliminate someone, we will need to make sure they have submitted their recipe already, otherwise we won't have anything to eat the next day!

In the interest of allowing people to make a fully informed decision, please state whether or not you have submitted a recipe, and if it's delicious. I will make a start: I have submitted and cooked my recipe, which I would rate a 7 out of 10 on the delicious scale.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
You (and I) CAN spend hours making soup. But we don't HAVE to.

1) From the store, if they have it, get the Extra Noodles version. More often than not, they won't, but that's okay.

2) Put the noodles and (if you have the Extra Noodles version) a single beef boullion cube in a pot with 3 1/2 cups of water (convert out of Imperial units at your leisure). It should take 4-6 minutes to boil.

3) Once the boil has started, add in the packet of yellow dust and spices to taste. I would recommend one of the seven combinations of black pepper, crushed red pepper, and/or cayenne pepper.

4) Assuming you have a gas stove, set it to the lowest setting and wait 5 minutes.

5) Makes two bowls' worth.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think mine will be good but it's uh...it's an opop recipe for sure. I'll make it next week

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Cloacamazing! posted:

Before the end of Night 1 you say... So that means before we eliminate someone, we will need to make sure they have submitted their recipe already, otherwise we won't have anything to eat the next day!

In the interest of allowing people to make a fully informed decision, please state whether or not you have submitted a recipe, and if it's delicious. I will make a start: I have submitted and cooked my recipe, which I would rate a 7 out of 10 on the delicious scale.

I have submitted my recipe but have yet to try it out. It looks promising!

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I have submitted my flavor recipe as well.

I have also cooked lunch!
Today's FUSION dish is Beef Bulgogi Tacos

Our Ingredients

The beef is sliced flanked steak, marinated overnight in a mixture of soy sauce, sesame oil, smushed up garlic, grated ginger, light brown sugar, black pepper, gochujang and some hot water.

Ingredients prepped, red cabbage, avocado, lime, cilantro, and taco sauce. the sauce is sour cream, kewpi mayo, sriracha mayo, chili oil, garlic powder, and lime juice

Stir fry your beef in a hot pan. probably should have used a wok or something with higher sides but oh well it worked fine. cook for about 5-6 mins stirring vigorously, then set aside to rest while we assemble.

Sadly I do not have a real comal to heat up tortillas, but if you do it would be the ideal implement here. i wrapped the tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwaved them for like 30 seconds to hydrate them a bit, then toasted them up in the pan.

Last step is assembly! layer your cabbage, beef, and avocado, sprinkle with cilantro, and drizzle your sauce all over. serve with a wedge of lime and enjoy.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Easy Chicken Soup ~oops I needed more broth~

Tada! Here are all the ingredients. I had some frozen stock as well, but not as much as I thought :qq:

My main goals were (1) to help everyone Get Well Soon and (2) to get my girls to try as many parts of the soup as possible.

First, I cook the onions with bacon. :sun:

I set the bacon aside to put back into the soup, but I forgot. A shameful waste.

Then, I cook all the veggies in bacon too and add butter and salt and pepper.

But not too much pepper because my three year old thinks everything is spicy. :kingsley:

Not pictured: I actually took out all the vegetables, then cooked the chicken in the pot by itself.

Then, once it was almost fully cooked I added back in everything and let the broth pick up the additional bacon + chicken flavor from the pot.

Let it simmer... go get a Starbucks... make the noodles...

Tada! That is an adult serving plus a plate of the kids' with the vegetables out so they can decide which individual vegetables they choose to accept onto their plate.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Man, those tacos look good. All the soups too, but especially those tacos.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Cloacamazing! posted:

I will never understand imgur I just use it for cookfia but I subbed my recipe to imgur a couple days ago and here is where it is:

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

And I’d kill for those bulgulgi tacos. I haven’t had good Korean tacos since I left LA

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Delicious looking meal yuming!

heres a bonus pic of my drink, a hop-flavored seltzer water, and my sous chef today.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Fusion Time

Had chicken in the freezer, gnocchi in the pantry, and the roommate just bought rice vinegar and sesame oil, soooooooo I present: chicken teri-gnocchi

The marinade ingredients (not pictured: brown sugar)

chicken in marinade

fast forward two hours. asparagus. on pan. in oven. chili flake.

gnocchi boiled

chicken time

gnocchi and chicken in pan. marinade in pan. gnocchi and chicken in marinade in pan.

Hell Yeah.

actually the pecorino gnocchi tasted far more strongly of pecorino than i was expecting so it tasted sorta weird. but the marinade worked out really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
i want the bulgogi tacos