Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

41% Scotland
32% France
12% England & NW Europe
10% Ireland
2% Sweden & Denmark
2% Wales
1% Indigenous Arctic

e: for a while I had 1% or 2% Basque in there but that's gone now.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

50% Pointer - there it is, there it is
50% Spitter - *Spits
50% Sitter - *Sits

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i am a super loving English American person. My first ancestors here came to Massachusetts Bay Colony on one of the flotillas of the 1630s, from what I've discerned.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

my sister did it, and nothing we didn't know. Jews on one side, Catholics on the other, all the way down as far as we could find.

My dad and her fifteen years+ ago went to Ireland to try and find baptismal records of a grandparent so my dad could get Irish citizenship but they couldn't find it. But they were able to track down distant... fourth cousins I believe.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
nice try FBI

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Turns out I'm white.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe
The name of my ancestors?

The Aristocrats.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

No point in doing one of those tests as I'll come back with just a picture of a mezuza or something.

Three of my grandparents' families were pretty much wiped out in the holocaust (one sibling survived) so I know nothing about them.

My other grandparent's family emigrated in the early 30s and not only are they all alive but they have a genealogy book going back to the 15th century. The difference a few years make.

I also looked up some stuff myself a few years back and found my great grandfather's five-digit phone number and German WW1 military papers, he was an artilleryman apparently. They sure were grateful for his service.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

a non-zero number of my relatives on my mom's maternal side were violent criminals in Puerto Rico who got hanged in public at the turn of the 20th century (with pictures!)

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
european here so i dont need to cobble together a cultural identity lol die amerikkkans :smug:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

turns out i'm related to Joe Biden, you heard of him op?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I knew I had a talent for fishmonging. Thanks Ancestors!

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I've always thought, "You should be paying me if you want a sample of my DNA."

My dad and now a cousin have done extensive genealogy over the years, so my father's side of the family is pretty mapped out going back 400 years or so. I look at it when its brought out and say, "Neat" and then realize I don't care about family that have been dead for centuries.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I got the results back and it told me I must be part animal cause I'm acting fucken doooooog

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005

Buttchocks posted:

the recipe for sazerac
he's the kwisatz sazerac

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016
true story my half brother never knew his real dad so he did the 23andme one. It turns out he, as expected, is half Mexican (dude is pretty tan, okay?). Anyway, I guess it said "this person could be related to you - which seems sort of hosed up - so he reached out to them and it turns out he's got a bunch of step siblings in Arizona, quite close to where our dad (my bio) dad lives.

Last year, we all went to spring training and met up with a bunch of the siblings. It was pretty surreal. They were all a little suspicious at first, but were welcoming. None of them wanted to tell their mother that their now-deceased father was quite the adulterer which is understandable. Since then, they've all kept in contact. It's like a brand new family that he never knew about.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
basically this kind of poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiXINuf5nbI

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

my dad did this poo poo years ago and found basically what everyone expected. before coming to canada everyone in his family tree lived and died in one tiny village in the south apennines for centuries. and then once in canada they only mated with other italian descendants. until my dad married an anglo. and well, here i am

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
My FiL delved too greedily and too deep and found out the secret shame of the family.

They fought for the British in the revolution from Maine, then snuck across the border from Canada and re-settled in Connecticut under a new name after the war.

Prior to this, he took great pride in the family having fought in the revolution, real patriotic type.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Turns out Im Lizzo

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Dandywalken posted:

Turns out Im Lizzo

Im sorry but you are CANCELLED

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Dandywalken posted:

Turns out Im Lizzo

you MONSTER

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

My FiL delved too greedily and too deep and found out the secret shame of the family.

They fought for the British in the revolution from Maine, then snuck across the border from Canada and re-settled in Connecticut under a new name after the war.

Prior to this, he took great pride in the family having fought in the revolution, real patriotic type.

lol how did he spin that?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

redshirt posted:

lol how did he spin that?

He doesn't do genealogy as a hobby anymore, he buys old furniture and toolboxes and refurbs them.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

the thing is it turns out the revolutionaries were a bunch of slavery-supporting tax dodgers so maybe your FiL's ancestors were in the right all along

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Turns out great-grandpa was lying about being German, he was Polish, which makes sense since he spoke Polish.

Unless the story he told about being from the really really really Eastern part of Germany that's right on the border where everyone speaks Polish turns out to be true, but I don't think that's actually a thing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bad news kids: We're secretly Canadian.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Extra Large Marge posted:

Turns out great-grandpa was lying about being German, he was Polish, which makes sense since he spoke Polish.

Unless the story he told about being from the really really really Eastern part of Germany that's right on the border where everyone speaks Polish turns out to be true, but I don't think that's actually a thing.

A Masurian or a Wend.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
turns out all my ancestors swallowed

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

we are all related to one another. one love, i and i, peace and namaste

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I had a great great great grandfather named "Hazard"

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Me an American getting 1% Scottish in their ancestry testing results: “I am definitely not going to make this my entire personality” as I animorph into a badly fitting kilt outfit.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mr Teatime posted:

Me an American getting 1% Scottish in their ancestry testing results: “I am definitely not going to make this my entire personality” as I animorph into a badly fitting kilt outfit.

americans+canadians love to state that they're irish, scottish, italian, etc., despeite them, their parents, and grandparents all being born in the new world and having lived their entire life there

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i have scottish ancestry but they were too small and wimpy a clan to have their own tartan apparently

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

New Foundland is like Scotland. Very similar.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

It’s true I shouldn’t single out Americans because frankly in my experience Canadians are far worse for it.

TBLALV
Aug 5, 2022
Can confirm

At least I say Canadian instead of Scottish Prussian Ukrainian Generic White European

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Mozi posted:

i have scottish ancestry but they were too small and wimpy a clan to have their own tartan apparently

as an actual scottish person i can tell you that 90% of that clan tartan stuff is bullshit, and also no one here gives a poo poo about it anyway

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

as an actual scottish person i can tell you that 90% of that clan tartan stuff is bullshit, and also no one here gives a poo poo about it anyway

Isn't it all invented by some con man like a hundred years ago? Or even less?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

TBLALV posted:

Can confirm

At least I say Canadian instead of Scottish Prussian Ukrainian Generic White European

i also just say im canadian. my dad still tells people hes italian tho lol.

i do kind of get it now though, now that i have kids. canada has an extremely high immigration rate right now so the % population of foreign born kids in schools is higher than ever, much higher than the % of foreign born adults living in canada as an aggregate. to make everyone feel welcome, the teachers do a "where are you from? what are your families special traditions? what are your families special foods?" etc., and the native born canadians don't get to be special in that regard. "im from here. i eat burgers and pizza" type poo poo, like 75% of the rest of the class lol. i know when my kids were asking me to explore their heritage they were very excited to learn they were 1/4 lao and at least partially italian (1/4 too i guess but going back a century). that gave them a sense of specialness and they could share some elements of that heritage that we still have in our house. i guess that probably carries into adulthood, with the sort of "oh im not just an ordinary native born white, im a specific culture". especially in countries like america and canada which have very high immigration rates compared to other parts of the world and have very multicultural societies