Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

Isn't it all invented by some con man like a hundred years ago? Or even less?

not entirely but mostly, yeah. as panic at the tesco says

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My ancestry results say I need more iron in my diet :(

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

gonna scam some gen alphas selling them the clan tag their grandpa used in counterstrike

oh wow, turns out your grandpa WeedVegeta was in [CALI], a powerful clan with a rich history

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

I found my wealthy uncle has been keeping a secret side-family for like 30 years and I have a bunch of half-cousins the other side of the country. Big lol because his side of the family have always been shits to me so I gave his secret kids his address and it's all nuclear level drama and I don't give a gently caress and keep feeding my half-cousins whatever information they want. Uncle Petey should have kept it in his pants (he also had to sell his share of his business because he hosed his business partners daughter and got her pregnant too).

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

cynic posted:

I found my wealthy uncle has been keeping a secret side-family for like 30 years and I have a bunch of half-cousins the other side of the country. Big lol because his side of the family have always been shits to me so I gave his secret kids his address and it's all nuclear level drama and I don't give a gently caress and keep feeding my half-cousins whatever information they want. Uncle Petey should have kept it in his pants (he also had to sell his share of his business because he hosed his business partners daughter and got her pregnant too).

lol get wreck'd Uncle Pete

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

idiotsavant posted:

your aunt is pencilhands and your uncle is wizard master and you’re doomed to live the life of an inbred genetic posting freak sorry op

:chanpop:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Szyznyk posted:

I guess the bog we crawled out of was in County Galway.

You're what's considered bog standard

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Also, I'm 1/4 Slovakian. Not Czech though! Great grand parents immigrated to the states before the two countries joined up. My grandmother always made the distinction for some whatever reason. I know nothing about Slovakia, language, culture, or Czechoslavakia at all. I just like being able to say I'm mostly Slovakian when people ask my heritage; because its a cool word. Just say it, "Slovakia". Hell yeah.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Internetjack posted:

Also, I'm 1/4 Slovakian. Not Czech though! Great grand parents immigrated to the states before the two countries joined up. My grandmother always made the distinction for some whatever reason. I know nothing about Slovakia, language, culture, or Czechoslavakia at all. I just like being able to say I'm mostly Slovakian when people ask my heritage; because its a cool word. Just say it, "Slovakia". Hell yeah.

Just on your mom's side. The czech is in the male.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Am I only one who takes a strong consolation in having no past, no history, no legacy or family bullshit? Just a person here living their life?

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Milo and POTUS posted:

50/50 guess, but you got it right; congrats!

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Internetjack posted:

I’m also 1/4 Slovak. I think the people and the language are referred to as Slovak while Slovakian refers to things related to the country like “Slovakian citizenship requirements”

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

redshirt posted:

Am I only one who takes a strong consolation in having no past, no history, no legacy or family bullshit? Just a person here living their life?

Red shirt just grateful to be alive, film at 11

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Basque, Spanish, Mestizo Mexican, and Chiricahua Apache. My family name goes back to the early 1700s (if not earlier) in what is now southern Arizona, but was once the Viceroyalty of New Spain.

New Spain, Mexico, the Gadsden Purchase, US territory, US state… we’ve been here a long time. But I call myself a Chicano or Mexican-American because it’s what I identify as. Makes it easier to sing the Cheech & Chong song, too.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

redshirt posted:

I don't know what my family history is but I resent it for whatever it may or may not have done. I'm the first one doing it right in this tree, and that's all I need to know.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

cynic posted:

I found my wealthy uncle has been keeping a secret side-family for like 30 years and I have a bunch of half-cousins the other side of the country.

Iirc that's how my mom found out that my grandmother was my grandfather's side piece too

Milo and POTUS posted:

Booooooooooooo (but also lol)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Red shirt just grateful to be alive, film at 11

Cheers mate!

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
My grandfather being a Polish immigrant skewed the data so it says I'm Slavic despite 3/4s of my family being Irish

lipid
Feb 21, 2001
5% otherkin

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Had claims of NA or pirate ancestors float around my dad’s side of the family for a long time. My hippy dippy uncle felt the NA ancestry “in his bones”.

Surprise surprise our forefathers were actually just a bunch of boring midwestern white farmers, and mostly Quakers before that (even worse than puritans imo).

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

ive got moon dna mixed in with my earth dna.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lipid posted:

5% otherkin

There's still a bounty on that FYI

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Had claims of NA or pirate ancestors float around my dad’s side of the family for a long time. My hippy dippy uncle felt the NA ancestry “in his bones”.

Surprise surprise our forefathers were actually just a bunch of boring midwestern white farmers, and mostly Quakers before that (even worse than puritans imo).

Abso-loving-lutely not

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016

ProperGanderPusher posted:

My wife always boasted that her late dad was like 1/16 Cherokee or some poo poo. She got her test done and not a drop of NA blood. lol

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

My family had the Native American ancestor too- even a very early picture of her looking vaguely Indian and family rumors about how you didn’t come out and say you were when marrying back then but no, 0 dna.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Brain Curry posted:

I think the people and the language are referred to as Slovak while Slovakian refers to things related to the country like “Slovakian citizenship requirements”
I'll keep that in mind; thanks!

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Internetjack posted:

Czechoslovakia broke up in the 90s into the czech republic and slovakia, but that's about all I know about the place too.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

americans+canadians love to state that they're irish, scottish, italian, etc., despeite them, their parents, and grandparents all being born in the new world and having lived their entire life there

It's funny how Australians don't do this.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

They do do that. They just like to pretend that they're all descended from convicts, rather than the guards

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

They do do that. They just like to pretend that they're all descended from convicts, rather than the guards

Um, some of us were just really lazy latecomers and valour stealers tho thank you.

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe

syntaxfunction posted:

My ancestry results say I need more iron in my diet :(

My ancestry results say I need more l.ron in my hubbard :(

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

syntaxfunction posted:

Um, some of us were just really lazy latecomers and valour stealers tho thank you.

I saw a Thames documentary about a binman who left England for Australia in the 70s and now could own a nice car and a house and surf all the time on a binman’s salary so your ancestors clearly made the right move.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

There were some relatives who did some research on both my mom and dad's side of the family. I'm Swede, Norwegian, Danish, Welsh, English, German, Polish and other stuff. One side traced back about 400 years or so. The other as far back as Charles Martel. That's assuming everything is accurate.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

For a little while 23andMe said I had a tiny bit of Mongolian and Yakut, but they have since taken that away and replaced it with Levantine.

I’ll miss my Yakutness but just let me keep something that isn’t Northern European, even .03% is fine

naem
May 29, 2011

I am a kraut mick or Uruk Hai as we call ourselves

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

The "Irish" side of my family spontaneously appeared in Canada in the 19th century and never existed anywhere before that. Also my great grandfather from that lineage had at least two families.

On the other side, all my Jewish heritage came from Spain and Morocco by way of Sicily. Literally not a drop of Eastern European in there. Every time I eat kugel or gefilte fish it's an affront to my ancestors.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

corgski posted:

The "Irish" side of my family spontaneously appeared in Canada in the 19th century and never existed anywhere before that. Also my great grandfather from that lineage had at least two families.

On the other side, all my Jewish heritage came from Spain and Morocco by way of Sicily. Literally not a drop of Eastern European in there. Every time I eat kugel or gefilte fish it's an affront to my ancestors.

the patriarchal italian side of my family was like that until they discovered he came by way of being an indentured servant basically in italy and was brought by a minor nobleman. now the little town our family is from knows our family name cause his progenitors make a pilgrimage to the old family house in abruzzo every now and then lol

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Early in our relationship my wife told me that one of her like great great whatever grandmother was a native American princess and I made fun of her a bunch because that is like the most stereotypical basic white bitch thing to claim and later her grandma got all of them one of those either ancestry or 23and me and they did it and there is 0% native American and she gets mad whenever I bring that up now lol

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Big rear end On Fire posted:

My family had the Native American ancestor too- even a very early picture of her looking vaguely Indian and family rumors about how you didn’t come out and say you were when marrying back then but no, 0 dna.

Muh high cheekbones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Nooner posted:

Early in our relationship my wife told me that one of her like great great whatever grandmother was a native American princess and I made fun of her a bunch because that is like the most stereotypical basic white bitch thing to claim and later her grandma got all of them one of those either ancestry or 23and me and they did it and there is 0% native American and she gets mad whenever I bring that up now lol

hahaha same exact story with -mah wife-