Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

my dad did this poo poo years ago and found basically what everyone expected. before coming to canada everyone in his family tree lived and died in one tiny village in the south apennines for centuries. and then once in canada they only mated with other italian descendants. until my dad married an anglo. and well, here i am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mr Teatime posted:

Me an American getting 1% Scottish in their ancestry testing results: “I am definitely not going to make this my entire personality” as I animorph into a badly fitting kilt outfit.

americans+canadians love to state that they're irish, scottish, italian, etc., despeite them, their parents, and grandparents all being born in the new world and having lived their entire life there

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

TBLALV posted:

Can confirm

At least I say Canadian instead of Scottish Prussian Ukrainian Generic White European

i also just say im canadian. my dad still tells people hes italian tho lol.

i do kind of get it now though, now that i have kids. canada has an extremely high immigration rate right now so the % population of foreign born kids in schools is higher than ever, much higher than the % of foreign born adults living in canada as an aggregate. to make everyone feel welcome, the teachers do a "where are you from? what are your families special traditions? what are your families special foods?" etc., and the native born canadians don't get to be special in that regard. "im from here. i eat burgers and pizza" type poo poo, like 75% of the rest of the class lol. i know when my kids were asking me to explore their heritage they were very excited to learn they were 1/4 lao and at least partially italian (1/4 too i guess but going back a century). that gave them a sense of specialness and they could share some elements of that heritage that we still have in our house. i guess that probably carries into adulthood, with the sort of "oh im not just an ordinary native born white, im a specific culture". especially in countries like america and canada which have very high immigration rates compared to other parts of the world and have very multicultural societies

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

Isn't it all invented by some con man like a hundred years ago? Or even less?

not entirely but mostly, yeah. as panic at the tesco says

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

corgski posted:

The "Irish" side of my family spontaneously appeared in Canada in the 19th century and never existed anywhere before that. Also my great grandfather from that lineage had at least two families.

On the other side, all my Jewish heritage came from Spain and Morocco by way of Sicily. Literally not a drop of Eastern European in there. Every time I eat kugel or gefilte fish it's an affront to my ancestors.

the patriarchal italian side of my family was like that until they discovered he came by way of being an indentured servant basically in italy and was brought by a minor nobleman. now the little town our family is from knows our family name cause his progenitors make a pilgrimage to the old family house in abruzzo every now and then lol