Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

war bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

I did my taxes today so uncle sam can afford more war (I owed a lot)

money in the bag

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Asproigerosis posted:

There is no war, mods lock the thread please.

backseat moderating. user loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

whats wrong with the pop culture thread

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the cloks rereg was misbehaving in the PMs

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i dont have any details actually it was handled through the admins

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

if i get an insane pm myself i will definitely post it (unless it has like pii or doxing info or something lol)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

its concerning that the insane celebrity obituary permabanned guy has begun posting in cspam

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

good morning

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

very inactive thread after the p/i probes. anyway i had that followup job interview, i think it went well. hard not to get my hopes up... but i shall try not to.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

DaysBefore posted:

Created three more job application accounts. So many passwords. I am declaring WAR on HR departments for making me do this. The gently caress do you people even do at this point. Just let me email a resume and then use your stupid eyes to read it you extremely bald mfs

its so loving annoying. especially from an infosec perspective because people reuse passwords all the time. just let me make one account with workday and apply to all the jobs using that. thank you.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

so many accounts flattened today

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

napoleon bros are kramering, sealioning, and gaslighting. not to mention jaqing off and showing their whole rear end. what the gently caress my dudes?

but we know the truth. the greatest general of all time, was, adolf hitler.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

okay now i want to go look...

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

kosheh....

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Mr Hootington posted:

Cspam does itbagain

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

you arent sorry at all

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

there was an episode of cum town where nick said that at great personal flexibility he achieved the ability to self suck but didn't like it because the feeling was much more sucking a dick than it was getting sucked off. much to consider.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the ukraone thread is going buck wild today, really enjoying the supposition that western cultural hegemony is such that romanian could have been wrongly classed as a romance language lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

a very basic way you can spot relations between languages is to look at basic parts of a language like pronouns and numbers, those are in such common and widespread use that they're relatively slower to change over time. obviously there's a lot more to it and nowadays with computers they can do quite robust statistical analysis to determine relationships between language, but even a cursory glance at numbers and pronouns should be able to tell you what languages romanian is most closely related to.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

big day in the lepers colony

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i still listen to korn and the deftones sometimes lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Son of Sorrow posted:

I am listening to Belarusian post-punk revival, because I know how to live properly.

i saw molchat doma in 2022, it was bad rear end

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

frosted flakes writing a lot of words about the emperor in 40K cspam and getting promoted to commissar

check this out

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I was probed when Sodomy and the Pirate Tradition: English Sea Rovers in the Seventeenth-Century Caribbean came up, but you just jogged my memory that Ancient Rome and the Construction of Modern Homosexual Identities, Ancient Rome and Victorian Masculinity, and Oscar Wilde’s Aesthetic Education: The Oxford Classical Curriculum really tie everything together.

Americans take note: the key to an empire on which the sun never sets is channeling the power of barely repressed homosexuality.

The problem is that Matt Schlapp, Marcus Bachmann, and Lindsey Graham don't have the right stuff. They had potential, sure, but it was misused and they were miseducated. First, Bachmann and Graham studied psychology (I wonder why...) instead of something that would invigorate them. For Schlapp, it was just about impossible to find out what his BA from Notre Dame was in, but it appears to have been "History and Government". That's a boilerplate Young Republican education. The folly of misspent youth! These men could have been your American Gordons.

Schlapp went to graduate school for Public Policy, Bachmann for "Community Counseling", and then a PhD with "a concentration in clinical psychology." Graham got a JD. They are, in other words, boring conservatives with a dull as dishwater education, that tamps down their queenish tendencies instead of bringing them to the fore.

To really get an empire builder, a Rhodes, a Gordon, a James Brooke, you need something more theatrical,

They didn't have the proper education to cultivate the qualities that could make them great men, and they didn't have a queen they could use as a socially acceptable substitute for love for a woman, so it all falls so flat. Observe:

Now, suppose that these Americans, instead of studying psychology and "history and government", had to put on a "theatrical production in the Grecian style" their freshmen year for the upperclassmen? Might that have pushed them further along the path to greatness? Suppose that instead of reading some boring bullshit policy whatever, or law, or, in Bachmann's case,

"his thesis at CBN University was titled 'Child Care Dilemma,' and concluded that full-time, nonparental day care 'may increase the insecurity' of children younger than 18 months. It incorporated a biblical perspective and included quotations from Scripture."

They had instead studied, real literature, like Puerilities: Erotic Epigrams of The Greek Anthology:

"Elegiac lyrics celebrating the love of boys, which the translator terms Puerilities , comprise most of the twelfth book of The Greek Anthology . That book, the so-called Musa Puerilis, is brilliantly translated in this, the first complete verse version in English. It is a delightful eroticopia of short poems by great and lesser-known Greek poets, spanning hundreds of years, from ancient times to the late Christian era."

Which, if it wasn't clear, could have sparked an ambition for something greater than tax cuts and utility privatization in these men:

XLIII CALLIMACHUS
Little I care for your popular cyclical poem:
Such thoroughfares I thoroughly despise.
So I detest a boy who makes himself common,
Nor do I drink from public water supplies.
Yes, you are handsome, Lysanias, terribly handsome.
And someone else’s!” instantly Echo replies.

Would Lindsey Graham think only of giving Republican donors public utilities if he had read this instead of law? Or, when hearing "public water supplies", would he sink away into sweet reverie, returning determined to win the love of some Lysanias or Ganymede by serving the American empire in the burning sands?

Conversely, would Schlapp be so desirous for wars in the Middle East, that separate men from their young companions, had he been versed in the Illiad?:

Return to me directly you have swept the Trojans from the ships.
Even if thundering Zeus offers an opportunity of winning glory for
yourself, you mustn’t take it. You must not make war without me
against these warlike Trojans—you will only reduce my glory . . . Ah
Father Zeus, Athena and Apollo, I pray that not one Trojan may get
away alive, not one, and not a Greek either, but we two [dual]
survive the massacre and unfasten Troy’s holy battlements alone.

Finally, would Bachmann devote all of his effort to the study of suppressed urges, if, say, he was familiar with the story of Achilles and Troilus?

From Davidson's The Greeks and Greek Love,

"The basic story is a simple one, but very neat and tidy. Troilus is an underage Boy. He takes a horse and goes to fetch water at a fountain house outside the city walls. Achilles is waiting for him... Although the details of where and how he actually kills the boy are variable, one feature is fixed: Troilus is on horseback and Achilles runs him down on foot... Indeed it seems from one image that he cut the boy’s head off and waved it in the face of his brothers... Out of all Achilles’ exploits at Troy, Clitias has chosen to picture this one, not glorious at all, but a feat that has the advantage of showing to a viewer the unique quality the poets never tire of celebrating: Achilles’ phenomenal speed... It is also the feat that will lead to his death, for Clitias has shown Apollo watching in some agitation... Either the crime itself, or the fact that Achilles took the boy to the sanctuary of Apollo, or even killed him on Apollo’s altar is what finally led to Achilles’ death, according to one prominent tradition... And it was an outraged Apollo who guided the arrow that would kill him... All terribly neat... Achilles’ most amazing ability, his speed, is precisely what undoes him, and when Apollo shoots him, where does the arrow pierce him? In the foot... This is a detail well established at an early date... Later mythographers did not really grasp its significance and told stories about the ankle as Achilles’ only point of vulnerability, something that Homer and the earlier poets do not mention... Achilles is certainly not invulnerable—that’s why his mother goes to so much trouble to get him a piece of armor—but the symbolic significance of Achilles, “swift in foot,” being fatally wounded in the foot needs no further explanation... The arrow guided by Apollo quite literally pins the fastest man on the planet to the ground, it stops him dead... "

"There is irony then in the fact that on each handle of the Francois Vase Achilles’ corpse is carried from the battlefield at a run... His own legs quite useless to him now, he depends on those of Ajax, the Quick and the Dead... The story that Achilles was in love with Troilus is told first in the second century sc in the impossibly obscure and allegorical prophetic “monodrama” of Cassandra (Alexandra), “quite the most repellent poem to survive from antiquity,” composed in iambic trimeters and ascribed to the Hellenistic poet Lycophron... The prophetess is apostrophizing, addressing now her little brother, young Troilus, whom she sees in strange visions of the future: “Lion-cub you, who shot the wild dragon with fire-bearing love-charm of arrows, and wouldn’t let go of smitten him, holding him in snares inescapable, for a scant loveless time, yourself untouched by the man you had subjected, you will bloody your father’s altar cut off at the head.” “Untouched,” literally “unwounded,” i.e., unattracted to Achilles, is a play on the paradox of the “captor” “captivated”; it could easily be read more graphically, “unpenetrated.”... An ancient reader offered some helpful notes in the margin of the text: Troilus had taken refuge in the sanctuary to escape Achilles’ advances... Unable to get him to come out, Achilles goes in and kills him... A commentator on Virgil’s Aeneid adds more detail: “Led on by his love for Troilus, Achilles held out to him some doves, of which the boy was very fond, but as he reached out to take them, he was captured by Achilles and died in his arms.” This is all very late, but the abduction, the doves, and hence probably the love motif appear in paintings of the scene as early as the sixth century... I think it would be impossible for a Greek, knowing Achilles’ tendencies and seeing an image of him as a Stripling chasing down a Boy, not to adduce an erdtikos motivation... "

My belief, I hope you agree, is that we cannot make the American less warlike. As with Achilles, these urges are deeply rooted. We can, however, direct those urges (and others) to some higher purpose. We can use our Schlapps, Grahams, and Bachmanns as arrows in our quiver. Rather than directing their energy towards banal projects, like Quiverfull, given the right education, we can point them in the right direction and let them loose. As Davidson says,

"It is this duality that makes Achilles the Greekest of heroes, loving his own side as much as he hates the enemy, a perfect inspiration for all Greek hoplite warriors, lovingly devoted to those alongside and nursing equal hate for those ranged opposite: the enemy, the Other, the Barbarian. Perhaps when they thought of Achilles it would not seem as strange to the Spartans and the Cretans as it does to us to offer sacrifice to Eros before going into battle."

Make America Grecian Again.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i peaced out about halfway through but i think you would like reading some of it

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i like to listen to music (incognito of course) on youtube, full albums, no ads. lots of good weird black metal happening these days.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

speng31b posted:

P/I thread is having a good old fashioned struggle session....love to see it

must put a stop to it... extremely aids style of posting

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

sometimes i think about how bald guys need to put sunscreen on their bare scalps so they dont get sunburned and it makes me laugh

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

you think thats funny?

i do. im da fwiggin joker.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i have been getting gray hairs since i was 17 but my father is over 70 and still has mostly dark hair. its all about genetics. fortunately my hair is still thick and lustrous.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

as i get closer to 40 i become more okay with it but i was very unhappy with all my grays in my teens and 20s lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Vox Nihili posted:

Lobster Great-grandfather, black of hair.
Lobster Grandfather, black of hair.
Lobster Father, black of hair.
Lobster Shirt... gray hair.

lmao oops i meant father in law. my dad is not even alive to have hair!!! but he supposedly went gray in his 30s.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

DaysBefore posted:

Lol Poppers getting driven out of the Palestine thread for posting the fascist chud meme frog

lol really?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i enjoy my children. nice to be a parent.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Ohtori Akio posted:

i think i got a concussion lol. posting from the er

hope you feel better soon

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ya dont have to be concussed to moderate here... but it helps!!!!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

never had any tbi though myself (that im aware of)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

aw frig aw dang it posted:

had a couple but my brain's still really good. soft, pink, wrinkley and all that probably

wrinkleh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

speng31b posted:

everyone in cspam is brain damaged..... interesting

every accusation is a confession