Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Wow that Ayabe v. Miyahara match was really good! The crowd was molten for it, too. Glad to see Ayabe get that kind of reaction, because he looked so much better in this match than any I've ever seen. I did NOT expect him to get the win.

abraham linksys posted:

i've rewound and watched this finisher like 5 times and i still have no idea what the gently caress it is

https://i.imgur.com/jmAPyRv.mp4

It is in fact a falcon arrow, and I think the commentator's called it Last Shooting. The times I've seen him do it before he didn't spin and he delayed it a bit. Love a good falcon arrow, though, but I think Kento didn't flip all the way over, cause I believe it's a back bump.

Props to Kento he really went out there to make Ayabe look like a million bucks and Ayabe went out there to look like a million bucks and they both succeeded and Ayabe ended up lookin like TWO million bucks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Ren's has been packing on the muscle since his first All Japan appearance, he's actaully a giant now instead of just being a beanpole with the strikes to match

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

:aaa: Is that a new finisher for Yuma to go with the borrowed from Fuminori Abe new trunks? I don't think I've seen it before anyways. It's kinda like Honda's Final Vent, but he sits out with it. Leg trap sit out powerbomb? I guess?

https://i.imgur.com/5UOyYnv.mp4

Really fun show, with Kento and Ayabe having the clear standout. They kinda buried Nakajima by having Jun survive the jumping knee > German suplex hold. Oh well. Anzai rules.

Here's the standings after tag one:

Next show is taped and I think will be going up earlier in the day of the 21st? So, might have a hard time getting the show watched before the live 3rd tag starts.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

From what I can tell based on time zones and the ajpw.tv site, the 4/20 show will be going live in about eight hours?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Looks like the VOD's live. I probably won't get around to watching it til tomorrow.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Sweet, i'll start that up once I finish watching HYPE!2, plenty of time before todays liveshow starts

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Night 2 thoughts:
- The echo on Sato's kicks to Inoue make them sound like absolute murder
- Ashino's reversal of Ayabe's finisher into the ankle lock wasn't the smoothest but his tenaciousness in sticking with the hold will never get old for me. Good match,looking forward to them running it back when Ashino is champ and AYabe has bulked up even more
- Greately enjoyed these big beefy fuckers running into each other, ending was sudden but I can appreciate the utility of putting over a simple move like a sleeper than can end the match in 2024 in the right hands
- Wasn't paying super close attention to the 6-man aside from thinking that Rei, Dan and Shrek is a really weird combo. Cyrus vs Rei could be cool matchup, shame they're in different blocks
- Yuma clearly loves getting to do the jacket bit, it pissing Ikeman off is just icing on the cake. Then Kuroshio made that kid cry :lol: The match itself was great as well, great balance of wrestling and comedy
- This was a way better display of Lord Crewe than the squash on night 1. Anzai is so great as the guy growing under the tremendous weight of carrying the company's top belt
- Suzuki/Jun was an odd one, I was enjoying it in the moment but the second it finished I forgot literally everything that happened
- Friend Horse is back :neckbeard: I have no idea where this is leading but it is very funny
- Once the shenanigans got out of the way this was a very good match, not quite MOTYC quality but not too far off either

Not as high highs as night 1 but also didn't have a completely dull match like DBSjr/Aoyagi to drag it down, fun stuff

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Show 3 starting now, they're running through the card

e: a nice benefit of the show taking place in CHiba is the 2AW boys showing up

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 21, 2024

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Shoki is a literal child standing across the ring from Lord Crewe

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

:laffo: Stepped away while Kuroshio was making his entrance, came back and he's getting demolished in the crowd

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

hahaha all that poo poo was before the bell. Just pin him dude he's done

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Now that Cyrus is doing fun stuff all my ire is focussed on Davey Boy, man I just lose all interest whenver he's on offence

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Being an Ashino fan is pain

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Rei please do not slam your arm into the corner post like when you just came back from an arm injury

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Friend Horse :neckbeard:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Ref is incompetent, match is a delight

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

This show has certainly been the weakest so far, have high hopes for Kento and Yuma though

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

The Blackout Knee is so loving sick

That was a good match approaching great, but these guys rule so much I was left a little disappointed

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jesus Christ :stare:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

:aaa:

He's gone and bloody done it!

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Watching tag 2 now. Ayabe mocking Ashino's height popped me. What were the lil white squares on Shotaro's back? Bandages from a dry needling session?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I noticed there was something up with his back on todays show but it was midway through the match so I had just assumed that something from the floor had stuck to him

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

They're like symmetrical on the shoulder blades and on either side of his spine midway down his back and just above the trunks. Same kinda spots my physical therapist would needle when I went in for back problems.

E. though I don't know why they'd need bandages. :iiam:

apophenium fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 21, 2024

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cyrus vs the dojo young'ns might be the best feud of this tournament so far :)

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Kuroshio TOKYO Japan, enemy of children everywhere.

Uh oh, Yuma's doing gimmick infringement.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Uh oh I hope Lord Crewe's taped up shoulder/bicep isn't actually hurt :( His squash the other day was really fun.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
how on earth did ajpw find Lord Crewe? this dude seems great and he has done nothing but wrestle tiny indiana/ohio/kentucky indies for the last few years

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

how on earth did ajpw find Lord Crewe? this dude seems great and he has done nothing but wrestle tiny indiana/ohio/kentucky indies for the last few years

He really does seem awesome! Even had a good promo after the Yuma Anzai match :)

Watching the main event of night 2 now. I think I'll always pop for the spot where Kento is laid out selling, completely dead. Then the crowd starts chanting his name and he immediately sits up :allears:

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Standings after tag 2:

Not sure if I'll be watching tag 3 today as I've already watched a lot of wrestling and will be watching the AEW show later.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
was not expecting main event of night 2 to feature quite so much ball destruction but sure. certainly the most memorable of the matches!

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Omori seems to be leaning into the ball destruction lately. I don't remember him doing it as much but I've only been watching since last year. I hope the horse head doppelgänger has a good payoff. Really curious to see who's under the mask

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Honda :stare:

Also add me to the list of new Lord Crewe fans

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SG Bamboo posted:

Now that Cyrus is doing fun stuff all my ire is focussed on Davey Boy, man I just lose all interest whenver he's on offence

He's impressive in how dull everything he does is.

I've finally gotten around to Night 2 and god, Ayabe has been an All Japan guy for 3 weeks and his elbows already look so much more impactful, it's great. Also really enjoyed him doing the Full Nelson while holding Ashino in the air.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Two matches into his tournament and boy Suwama looks cooked. Probably time he just moves into the old Takao Omori role, assuming they can sign another heavyweight to replace him.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

This Cagematch review of Ikemen Vs Aoyagi is :discourse:

[0.0] "It is hard to find words that can properly describe how much I hated this match. I actually don't despise Kuroshio. His entrance can be fun, and there is definitely a place on any roster for a comedy wrestler. That place is not having matches that go for over ten minutes against people that should be protected to work the top of the card. More over, their matches should be funny. And SHORT. The match is listed as 11:44, but I'm pretty sure it lasted at least 3 generations. Oh, and they had literally no ideas what to do with that time. There was a clothes-hanger spot that didn't work. I guess that was an idea? They failed to do it twice, so they definitely thought it was good. This match made me opine for Onita. -500000 stars."

What a miserable person

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Am I bugging or is there a specific camera on the 4/21 show that has a lower framerate than the others? I thought my computer was dying but it seems like it was doing the same thing on my phone.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I'm a simple man. I see super-heavyweight Cyrus murdering Kuroshio TOKYO Japan throughout the weird concrete airplane hangar, throwing the ref and the dojo trainees around, hollering in a raspy southern drawl, all while the crowd gleefully snaps photos, I'm having a good time. Too bad Cyrus was too blown up to have much of a match in the ring after all that, but it was still a lot of fun. :)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Well, night 3 has been the weakest so far (though I've still a couple matches to go). Impressed Suzuki has started 0-2, seems uncharacteristic of him

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Well, night 3 has been the weakest so far (though I've still a couple matches to go). Impressed Suzuki has started 0-2, seems uncharacteristic of him

That was a total nothin' of a match, too. I kinda liked the Davey Boy Smith Jr. match, though. Reversing the ankle lock into a sharpshooter was cool. Shotaro's still my fav to win Block A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Results after night three. Really happy for Honda, that was a big win! It also made me hungry for a rematch; Honda catching Anzai's jumping knee and immediately turning it into Final Vent would be so rad.

Next show is Wednesday the 24th:

6:30pm JST/8:30pm AEDT/10:30am BST/5:30am EDT/2:30am PDT

Champion Carnival Night 4
Shinagawa Prince Hotel Stellar Ball, Tokyo
Dan Tamura, Hikaru Sato & Rei Saito vs Hartley Jackson, Ryo Inoue & Seigo Tachibana (this is billed as a GAORA TV 6-man preliminary tag match)
Champion Carnival A Block: Hokuto Omori (0) vs Kuroshio TOKYO Japan (2)
Champion Carnival B Block: Jun Saito (4) vs Road Crewe (2)
Champion Carnival A Block: Cyrus (0) vs Ren Ayabe (2)
Champion Carnival B Block: Hideki Suzuki (0) vs Ryuki Honda (2)
Davey Boy Smith Jr & MUSASHI vs Kento Miyahara & Rising HAYATO
Champion Carnival A Block: Shotaro Ashino (4) vs Yuma Aoyagi (4)
Champion Carnival B Block: Suwama (4) vs Yuma Anzai (4)
Live on ajpw.tv

Suwama is the only competitor with no losses. Hokuto Omori, Cyrus, and Hideki Suzuki will be looking for their first wins of the tourney.