Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

It's good that they're being transparent and give us regular updates on the state of the game's problems and the coming fixes, but Sea of Thieves is in such a sorry state right now that I'm ashamed to tell my PlayStation friends to pick it up. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

When I put treasure on a ship, there's a notification that says something like "treasure added to Ship's log." That sounds like you could see a list of all of the treasure currently on the ship but I can't find it anywhere. Am I misunderstanding that notification?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Jolo posted:

When I put treasure on a ship, there's a notification that says something like "treasure added to Ship's log." That sounds like you could see a list of all of the treasure currently on the ship but I can't find it anywhere. Am I misunderstanding that notification?

There's no list anywhere, but if you were a captained ship the treasure collected figure in your log book would tick up.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Ahh ok, that makes sense. Number is going up. Thanks.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The Ship Log is the little book on the voyage table btw.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Dang, the controller bindings really aren't very multipurpose friendly. It seems really silly that mapping dpad left or right to anything unbinds that from being able to change pages in a book. Same deal with R3 to zoom a book/map, just seems like context isn't considered. Also things like dpad down being a hold for emotes is nice but you can't also bind tapping dpad down for anything.

How do you all have your controllers set up? It seems like maybe dpad up is the only safe key you can bind without losing something else.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've got d-pad left for cycling through food and d-pad right for cycling through throwables - never encountered not being able to change pages. I have down and up on the defaults of emotes/dialogue.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah I've got the same. They aren't very many buttons left unbound on the default config. Taking out food is a must-have hotkey, throwables a bit lower.

I've also bound dpad up to push-to-talk and LS-click to on-screen keyboard on Xbox.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Had my first crew where all three members where playing on a different platforms this weekend. The future is here!

Also managed to dodge some of the bugs others have been encountering. Only issue is it's apparently a bit awkward to friend people and send crew invites on the Playstation if the others are on a different platform. They ended up having to log into their Microsoft account on their computer to accept my friend invite.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

glitchwraith posted:

They ended up having to log into their Microsoft account on their computer to accept my friend invite.

Yeah not the most intuitive system to figure out. As a PS5 player I ended up downloading the XBox app on my phone just so I could sign in there to friend up my daughter who is on PC. Once that got sorted out we had a great time, ended up getting to bed late because "just one more mission"

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

That's adorable. Seems to be a lot of Goons playing with their kids lately.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

glitchwraith posted:

That's adorable. Seems to be a lot of Goons playing with their kids lately.

Yeah - mentioned in discord but Ive been playing with the 6yo and she loves that I got the parrot set. Figured I would toss Rare some dollars, ive been having a blast playing this game. Historically I play FPS but as I have aged I like the more chill vibe of SoT. Also its so much worth playing with other goons - yall have been so cool to play with.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Today's the day! Season 12 starts in a few hours :dance:

Ziplines and double-barreled pistols and knives and raise an army of skeletons to fight for you, oh my!

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I really hope they one day improve the actual pve/pvp on foot combat. Ship to ship combat is so fun, but fighting players or skeletons is such tedium. It's cool they're adding new weapons but it feels like lipstick on a pig.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

playstation player here. this seems neat, but i have no idea what is going on and i think people on the internet are mad at me. :(

there does seem to be a bit of a gap between tutorial vs. real gameplay. are there good and current first-day guides out there?

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Insanite posted:

playstation player here. this seems neat, but i have no idea what is going on and i think people on the internet are mad at me. :(

there does seem to be a bit of a gap between tutorial vs. real gameplay. are there good and current first-day guides out there?

After you get off newb island (make sure you grab that gold stash), there are still some ingame tutorials that the ghost pirate gives you, basically introducing the main three factions you'll be doing missions for - I did these in the Safer Seas mode solo, just to get more practice without bothering or being bothered by other players. Once you do these three easy missions you'll start to get a better feel for the game.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

AcidCat posted:

After you get off newb island (make sure you grab that gold stash), there are still some ingame tutorials that the ghost pirate gives you, basically introducing the main three factions you'll be doing missions for - I did these in the Safer Seas mode solo, just to get more practice without bothering or being bothered by other players. Once you do these three easy missions you'll start to get a better feel for the game.

oh, wow, don't think i got signposted to those at all. thanks!

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Insanite posted:

Welcome to the game! Is it players on your open crew giving you issues? Might be better to set it to play with Playstation players only, as they will be more on your level. Or you can play with Goons on our discord. We'll be happy to walk you through the basics.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 30, 2024

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Agreed play with goons is the best. I tried using the official discord to find people just it’s a crapshoot.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

They put a lot of budget in this launch trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb37O5LCpyY

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Can't wait for players to see that trailer, then experience what actual sword/skeleton combat is like and be real upset

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Tyvm for the discord notes. I’ll get a bit more experience with the game before gooning it up, but things are starting to make sense.

And yeah, the melee combat feels very Morrowind. Thankfully, the other elements are pretty cool.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Insanite posted:

Tyvm for the discord notes. I’ll get a bit more experience with the game before gooning it up, but things are starting to make sense.

And yeah, the melee combat feels very Morrowind. Thankfully, the other elements are pretty cool.

Totally. Ship stuff is some of the best ship-based stuff in games. The interactive living world is fun, tall tales are pretty goofy good times. The variety of various locals, shrines, forts and islands is awesome. But then 90% of the things devolve into forcing you into the grindy awful combat.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
Wind horn report:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUk_RarftBQ

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Been using the new weapons trying to unlock some of the new commendations. The knives are a lot of fun and seem like a viable replacement for the flintlock. Throwing and heavy stabbing seem to eat through skeletons. The double barrel, on the other hand, is a bit clunky. Feels like there is too much animation between shots to make the lack of reload very useful, and the double shot just seems like a worse version of the blunderbuss.

My biggest issue, though, is not having the sword lunge. Definitely returning to that once the commendations are done.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Came back after like 2 years last night and it was like riding a bike, everything came back to me instantly.

glitchwraith posted:

Been using the new weapons trying to unlock some of the new commendations. The knives are a lot of fun and seem like a viable replacement for the flintlock. Throwing and heavy stabbing seem to eat through skeletons. The double barrel, on the other hand, is a bit clunky. Feels like there is too much animation between shots to make the lack of reload very useful, and the double shot just seems like a worse version of the blunderbuss.

My biggest issue, though, is not having the sword lunge. Definitely returning to that once the commendations are done.

The double barrel has 0 spread on the double shot, which means it has a nice niche between blunder and sniper.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Nalesh posted:

The double barrel has 0 spread on the double shot, which means it has a nice niche between blunder and sniper.

Hmm. Hadn't considered that. I do hope it has it's uses, even if I end up using other weapons.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
one doubletap+a sword hit is also enough to kill, with it being more consistent than a blunder

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Hotfix coming for guilds

https://www.seaofthieves.com/community/forums/topic/168517/season-12-update-state-of-play

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Nalesh posted:

one doubletap+a sword hit is also enough to kill, with it being more consistent than a blunder

Sword does 25% damage, blunderbuss does 10%/pellet with 10 pellets. The double barrel pistol does 40%/shot.

So the question is if you think you can land 8 blunderbuss pellets

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

How does the season pass work in this game? Normally you just go to the pass and click rewards as they unlock but that doesnt seem to be the case here.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Man i wish this looked like Skull and Bones.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

AcidCat posted:

How does the season pass work in this game? Normally you just go to the pass and click rewards as they unlock but that doesnt seem to be the case here.

The rewards unlock automatically when you reach the required level, and should be in your cosmetics chests immediately.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Man I've been busy with a whole bunch of stuff lately but I'm itching to play some more with goons over the next couple of days.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/SeaOfThieves/status/1786382951166427247

Not sure what gilded voyages are, but it looks cool.

https://twitter.com/SeaOfThieves/status/1786334956647534959

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

kri kri posted:

https://twitter.com/SeaOfThieves/status/1786334956647534959

Before the voyages where consolidated under the captains table, the game would occasionally give out special "Gilded Voyages", usually as a log in bonus during holiday events or as compensation after especially bad technical issues. If I remember correctly, they where similar to emissary quests in what they rewarded. They where removed from the game after the voyage overhaul, as you could no longer keep voyages pocketed on your pirate. Looks like the new version will give a mix of kingly and raid loot. Kind of cool that they are also awarding a tattoo as well.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

kri kri posted:

[

They used to be pretty basic "voyage+" which got gifted to you as part of events. Example, at Christmas you'd get a gilded voyage of legends which was the same apart from at the end you'd get 3 chests of legend instead of 1.

They've been experimenting with this "time limited" voyage format though because of the new quest table, meaning they don't just drop it in your inventory but just make it available for a certain time, and they can make the voyage mote unique, giving specific rewards etc.

Inevitably people on reddit will moan that didn't Rare know their cat was ill and undergoing chemo at that time so they couldn't log on and it's unfair they don't get the new banana yellow hat which is better than their mustard yellow hat, but that's just the Internet.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
That's the best GPU perk they've done and of course it's when I downgraded to Core... I want a free Monkey but now it would cost me 8 dollars instead?!

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Lot of disconnects this afternoon, either freezing up and needing a restart or "network error" messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

I will be setting aside time for this that weekend. Looking forward to goon galleon!