Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
What is your dream camera? Does it exist? If it doesn't, could it? Is your camera or any other nearly perfect? If so what would need to be changed to make it perfect?

These are the questions no one is asking. Until now.

I'll get us started with the following mess of uninformed nonsense.

Purpose - General, Street
Media - digital
Format - M43 (not tied into a single manufacturers lenses)

The Dream!

A manual no nonsense camera with just a few features, dials and buttons.

Features:
A) Uses manual lenses only.
B) A large high definition EVF.
C) A 16+ Megapixel stabilised sensor and output to fast micro SD card/s.
D) No AUTOFOCUS, AUTOEXPOSURE, LCD, USB, HDMI, Wifi, Bluetooth, Video or JPEG (shoots RAW).
E) Could the price be around the £500 mark?

Dials:
1) ISO
2) Shutter speed.
3) Control settings (a few settings only) e.g. metering type.
4) Clickable selection dial e.g. point, centre weighted etc (options appear in EVF).

Buttons:
Z) Digital Zoom to aid focus
Y) Gallery - Click the clickable selection dial to toggle between move through pictures, zoom in and out, pan left/right, pan up/down. Rotate to perform these actions.
X) Delete Picture.
W) Voice notes (Last picture taken or current picture in Gallery).
V) Shutter button

Why?

Most current cameras have too many features, dials and buttons.
Worst of all they have way too many menu options (easily in the upper hundreds).
After a year with my xt-3 I still have to hunt through the menus packed with a lot of stuff I just don't need.

I find all this gets in the way and must be the only reason I take such lovely pictures!

Your turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

Fantastic! I would love to see someone produce a sensor that size.

How about a medium format sensor with a fish eye lens aligned vertically and correct/crop in post?

Instead of a fish eye could you use a normal lens with a rotating 45 degree mirror?

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
More of a form factor thing this time, I call it "Nelsons Column".

I did consider a few other names, "Trafalgar" after ABBA's poorly received first attempt at Eurovision and "Kiss me Hardy" after the notorious Brokeback Mountain incident.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXEKb7-Bkwg
Yes I know - Kismet. "Ringpiece" was an early contender for reasons below.

A cylindrical camera, instead of a cylinder with a cuboid at the back.

There would be a cylinder divided into 3 sections, lens, sensor, grip/control, the latter 2 being about 3 inches in diameter.

lens:
Aperture, focus and zoom rings depending on the lens you choose or if there's a bridge version, a ridiculous zoom with all 3.

Sensor:

M43/ASPC/FULL/MEDIUM. I think each could all fit in a 3 inch diameter form factor?
Rings for shutter speed, iso,

Grip/Control:

Rings for settings (card, metering, gallery, format) and setting selection/gallery control.

A hatch on the "bottom" for battery and cards. The "top" would have the gallery , gallery option (nXn,single, back, forward, zoom and pan), delete, voice note and shutter buttons.

Should be equally usable for lefties and righties and could be rotated then locked for the most comfortable position (in relation to the sensor orientation.

This should be where a grip and wrist strap can also be rotated and locked.

At the end would be a large EVF with an indicator for which ring you are touching (oooh err).

I could imagine this being available in a bridge verrsion with a ridiculous zoom in a fully weather sealed system.

Also an interchangeble lens system and possibly interchangable sensor sections individually weather sealed of course. You could start off with an ASPC sensor and add FULL later.

Any thoughts? obvious problems I missed. Also this would be less minimal then my previous dream camera but keeps the menu option count down using the settings and setting selection ring sparingly.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Would it be all that difficult for OM systems to build a street/gp camera based on the tg7?

I'm thinking about a 24/25 megapixel M43 stabilised sensor and either a 28/35mm f2 prime or a double focal length (28-56/35-70) zoom.

The body would need to be thicker but im not sure it would need to be wider to accomodate this setup.

If they could get the price lower than the Ricoh GR3 for the prime option or the same for the zoom it could be a winner.

Talking about the GR3, is the HDF version the one Ricoh designers were refering too earlier this year or is there likely to be a GR4 soon as was rumored?