Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ITS THE 2023-24 PHILADELPHIA FLYERS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, DANNY BRIERE. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I TRADE A DISGRUNTLED TOP PROSPECT OR EVEN WHEN MY FRANCHISE GOALIE IS ARRESTED. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEIR TEAM ELIMINATED BOTH THE PENGUINS AND RED WINGS FROM PLAYOFF CONTENTION AT THE SAME TIME BY GIVING UP AN EMPTY NET GOAL WHILE TIED IN THE LAST GAME OF THE SEASON. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY WORKPLACE AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN THE WORKPLACE CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINE COMBINATIONS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING THEM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING POST GAME RECAP EVERY MORNIng

Cartoon Man posted:

Go make the loser thread and put this in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm kind of disappointed Torts claimed/admitted in the presser he didn't know what was going on elsewhere when he pulled his goalie in a tie game. I was hoping he'd say "I did it just to gently caress the Penguins over"

I'm also disappointed it would have fallen flat since the Pens needed no help loving themselves over and it was actually the Red Wings.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

What are the odds of one team pulling off three miracle comebacks in a week to stay alive in the race, another team finding everything breaking just right so that they have to pull their goalie at the end of a tie game to stay alive, and both of those teams eliminating each other nearly simultaneously in real time? That's never ever going to happen again. It's like the hockey version of the 2011 AL East.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

That fuckin losing streak was painful but overall I'm optimistic about Philly next season and I look forward to what moves happen in the summer also frame this post and break it out when I am suicidal by the end of October and am awaiting my lobotomy

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Torts appears to be speedrunning the Torts Experience in Philly so I honestly expect them to completely collapse next year

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I feel like they are destined to hobble into a weak first round exit, but that is definitely an optimistic viewpoint

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I am so glad this season is almost over... I watched the first period of the Flames/Sharks game about a week ago and it was just so so bad.

The only thing I'm optimistic about next season is a top 5 pick.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Flyers arent going anywhere with Torts still around.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

The Flyers arent going anywhere with Torts still around.

Especially not without fixing their goaltending issues. And unfortunately for them any quality goaltender up for grabs is guaranteed to involve a bidding war

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
great OP

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Especially not without fixing their goaltending issues. And unfortunately for them any quality goaltender up for grabs is guaranteed to involve a bidding war
They have Ersson signed through 2026 who I thought had a good year especially given the circumstances. I'm hoping he doesn't regress.

Fedotov and Kolosov are obviously the two big question marks. I don't count any of Fedotov's appearances this season for or against him because of the circumstances. Like welcome to America, here's brand new equipment, here's smaller rinks, you're playing tomorrow, have fun. I also don't know enough about Kolosov to venture any sort of guess.

So the situation is... fluid. Better than it was a month ago, but I don't think we'll have a handle on it until this time next season.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
the blues had the most disastrous season. finish just out of the playoffs to ensure you draft maybe a 3rd liner/2nd pairing guy, definitely what will improve the team's longterm prospects

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

maybe the flyers can find someone that can actually score a goal more than once a month but what do I know

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ohrwurm posted:

maybe the flyers can find someone that can actually score a goal more than once a month but what do I know

Buddy, no chance in hell unless they can also get down and block shots.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Flyers biggets issue was that they didn't have a competent #3 goalie at all. They ran Ersson into the ground after Hart got arrested and it showed at the end

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

They also should look into getting a #1 or #2 goalie first but the #3 does seem like something they'll also have to solve

seriously don't go into next season expecting good things if your #1 guy has put up an .89 the last 2 seasons

it's not like the defense is going to suddenly get better, or the coaching

if they're not swinging for Ullmark they're right back to the basement

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Probably the most disappointing Devils season since like, 1996 or 2011, and at least the 96 team had the 95 and 94 results to fall back on, and the 10 team had the cool Lemaire bump at the end of the season and the promise of what that meant the next year.

Obviously they need a goalie but I don't trust Fitzgerald to make the right choice there. I think the core is still probably good enough, especially with Dougie back and Luke/Nemec having another year under their belt, but questions are there too (is Jack just a 60 game player, is Siegenthaler dogshit, etc). At least I don't have to read zoomers talking about how many Cups they're going to win, and it will probably do the team good to have a little bit of a chip like they did in 22-23.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

So I assume the Penguins are dropping the pick to the Sharks unless they get incredibly lucky draft lottery wise?

I am ready to switch back to mid 2000's Penguins of dreaming about the best players available again.

T-Bone posted:

Probably the most disappointing Devils season since like, 1996 or 2011,

I was super surprised to see where they ended up after the start they had, so I can definitely understand this.

Carver fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 18, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Carver posted:

So I assume the Penguins are dropping the pick to the Sharks unless they get incredibly lucky draft lottery wise?

Yes, unless they win the lottery at like 2% odds they'll be outside the top ten.

Thank goodness for that. Their 2025 pick will probably be in the top five. Here's hoping they at least top-3 protect it when they inevitably trade it this summer.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Fire Sullivan and his coaching staff and please trade Jarry/Smith/Rakell elsewhere they're all huge disappointments to me personally

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Ginette Reno posted:

Fire Sullivan and his coaching staff and please trade Jarry/Smith/Rakell elsewhere they're all huge disappointments to me personally

Can we also please make sure that Graves never comes back?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm kind of disappointed Torts claimed/admitted in the presser he didn't know what was going on elsewhere when he pulled his goalie in a tie game. I was hoping he'd say "I did it just to gently caress the Penguins over"

I'm also disappointed it would have fallen flat since the Pens needed no help loving themselves over and it was actually the Red Wings.

Can't speak for other barns but, in 2013 (the lockout year), I attended the last CBJ game of the season wherein a win and any Minnesota loss put them in. The displays around the arena showed the score of every other game in progress except MIN/COL.

I remember this because cell service sucked inside the building and no one seemed to know what was going on with the other game that mattered. The Jackets won, but so did the Wild.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sulk that is the best OP and I love you

also lmfao

https://twitter.com/cap_kaveman/status/1780784470750322701?s=46&t=LoZaJh99UmJ9X87kU4A0dA

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

That’s one way to wear a jersey

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Habs were good enough to cheat themselves out of a top-5 pick but the vibes at the end of the season were good, so that's something. Next year they need to be contending for playoffs at min, ideally making it in as a wild card.

Good Things
  • Top line is looking solid with Slaf/Suzuki/Caufield
  • Actually some decent center depth with Dach / Newhook / Dvorak / Evans assuming Dach doesn't die
  • A bunch of potentially good young defensemen
  • No important pieces are up for big contracts
  • $10MM in cap space roughly

Bad Things
  • Brendan Gallagher, Josh Anderson, and Christian Dvorak combined consume 15.5MM in cap space to be an adequate third line and Gallagher is signed until the end of time.
  • Is Sam Montembault or Cayden Primeau the guy to take the team to the playoffs?
  • Forward depth is bad, and the prospect pool is not great there either.
  • Probably too many young defensemen and someone will need to be moved

I would like to see...
  • Mostly keep the band together and see if enough guys can continue to take a step forward.
  • See if Joshua Roy can actually play consistently at the NHL level
  • Sign some random vet UFA wing to play on the 2nd line... maybe bring back Sean Monahan? Aging Marchessault on a year or two deal? Tolvanen? DeBrusk? Just need someone who can bang in ~20 on the 2nd line and provide some Veteran Leadership.
  • Move a young defenseman or two for a younger wing if there's anyone interesting available.
  • Stay open to trading assets for picks and brokering deals with that retention slot. It's a year to potentially make the playoffs, not contend for a Cup.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

This is the most Arizona hockey story I could have possibly imagined. Glad Shane got his banner back.

Also echoing praise for the OP, I had a hard time keeping my composure at my work desk when i read it.

See y'all in a couple weeks after the Islanders are done running face first into the Carolina buzzsaw!

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Habs were good enough to cheat themselves out of a top-5 pick but the vibes at the end of the season were good, so that's something. Next year they need to be contending for playoffs at min, ideally making it in as a wild card.

Good Things
  • Top line is looking solid with Slaf/Suzuki/Caufield
  • Actually some decent center depth with Dach / Newhook / Dvorak / Evans assuming Dach doesn't die
  • A bunch of potentially good young defensemen
  • No important pieces are up for big contracts
  • $10MM in cap space roughly

Bad Things
  • Brendan Gallagher, Josh Anderson, and Christian Dvorak combined consume 15.5MM in cap space to be an adequate third line and Gallagher is signed until the end of time.
  • Is Sam Montembault or Cayden Primeau the guy to take the team to the playoffs?
  • Forward depth is bad, and the prospect pool is not great there either.
  • Probably too many young defensemen and someone will need to be moved

I would like to see...
  • Mostly keep the band together and see if enough guys can continue to take a step forward.
  • See if Joshua Roy can actually play consistently at the NHL level
  • Sign some random vet UFA wing to play on the 2nd line... maybe bring back Sean Monahan? Aging Marchessault on a year or two deal? Tolvanen? DeBrusk? Just need someone who can bang in ~20 on the 2nd line and provide some Veteran Leadership.
  • Move a young defenseman or two for a younger wing if there's anyone interesting available.
  • Stay open to trading assets for picks and brokering deals with that retention slot. It's a year to potentially make the playoffs, not contend for a Cup.

There were some bright spots this year (Slaf especially) but Suzuki really carried the team on his back. Reminded me of what Koivu had to do back in the day.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

triple sulk posted:

ITS THE 2023-24 PHILADELPHIA FLYERS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, DANNY BRIERE. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I TRADE A DISGRUNTLED TOP PROSPECT OR EVEN WHEN MY FRANCHISE GOALIE IS ARRESTED. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEIR TEAM ELIMINATED BOTH THE PENGUINS AND RED WINGS FROM PLAYOFF CONTENTION AT THE SAME TIME BY GIVING UP AN EMPTY NET GOAL WHILE TIED IN THE LAST GAME OF THE SEASON. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY WORKPLACE AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN THE WORKPLACE CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINE COMBINATIONS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING THEM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING POST GAME RECAP EVERY MORNIng

I feel like every fan base should have one representative post a summary of their team's respective failed seasons in this format.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I nominate rex to do the Penguins

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Eric the Mauve posted:

seconded

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Jeff Carter is calling it quits, rip guy

Seeing him win the Calder Cup as part of the Phantoms during the lockout is one of my favorite hockey moments ever

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Sharks are going to lose the #1 pick overall to the Blackhawks because that's what the NHL wants.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

trilljester posted:

Sharks are going to lose the #1 pick overall to the Blackhawks because that's what the NHL wants.

Yes. Yes they are.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

:hmmyes:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Good soup! posted:

Seeing him win the Calder Cup as part of the Phantoms during the lockout is one of my favorite hockey moments ever

oh my god I completely forgot about this

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

AntiDepressor posted:

There were some bright spots this year (Slaf especially) but Suzuki really carried the team on his back. Reminded me of what Koivu had to do back in the day.

Absolutely. I don’t think it would have been quite so dire had Dach not been injured but on the other hand when is he not injured sooo

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DJExile posted:

oh my god I completely forgot about this

still got my Purple Haze shirt from that night too :cool:

when they announced the final minute of the third, that was definitely the loudest crowd I've ever heard, felt like the roof was going to come down

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/1781047962941964623?t=i1N_U8mNss5C3Uaarz7f4g&s=19

NHL Utah has been officially announced and will be a completely new franchise. The Coyotes' records and identity stay dormant in Arizona.

Ryan and Ashley Smith sound like the names of a couple with a home renovation show on HGTV.

Motion carries.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/wyshynski/status/1781052684243443751?s=46

the utah hockey team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Utah Salty Boyz