Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Utah Hockey Jazz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Utah has had a great little run of extremely stupid names that have nothing to do with them or the region. Utah Jazz is probably the funniest franchise name in sports, and Real Salt Lake has the vibe of saying "Lamborghini Corolla" or something.

so, excited to have the Salt Lake Samurais or Utah Cataphracts next year. i hope they're just going through the Age of Empires 2 unique unit list and throwing a dart at it

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Can’t find the tweet now but I lolled at “Utah Latter Day Skates”

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
thankfully Utah already has a cultural history to explain this type of complicated franchise maneuver:

The Wikipedia article on Warren Jeffs posted:

Following Rulon's death the Coyotes' deactivation, Jeffs Smith told high-ranking FLDS officials the NHL board of governors, "I won't say much, but I will say this – hands off my father's wives RFAs." When addressing his father's widows the Coyotes players he said, "You women players will live as if Father the Coyotes are still alive merely temporarily deactivated as a franchise and in the next room state." Within a week he had married re-signed all but two of his father's wives the Coyotes' players.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
They need an entire year to come up with a name?

Pro sports and everyone involved with them are huge morons (myself included obviously)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

A hastily put together unnamed team with placeholder jerseys is not a good start to a new franchise trying to distance itself from the ramshackle nature of its prior existence

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Utah Prophets

Jersey is a white shirt with a black (printed) tie and their name on a black and white name tag.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Utah Raptors is right there for the taking

skeletal Jurassic Park style logo in a circle crest for the logo

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Utah Washington Football Team of Hockey

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If it can't be the Utah Whalers, I kind of like the ring of the Utah Brigham Blades

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Do the players have to wear the special underwear? Is Hossa also allergic to that?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

CBJSprague24 posted:

I feel like every fan base should have one representative post a summary of their team's respective failed seasons in this format.

was it Yahoo that used to have an enemy fan do it? if so, WeaponX should get to do the Devils. maybe a Pens and Flyers fan can do either team. if the Rangers lose, think of how much fun Eric or Rex or McMagic would have

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

was it Yahoo that used to have an enemy fan do it? if so, WeaponX should get to do the Devils. maybe a Pens and Flyers fan can do either team. if the Rangers lose, think of how much fun Eric or Rex or McMagic would have

Oh man, how many times can I use the term “soy boys”?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Utah has had a great little run of extremely stupid names that have nothing to do with them or the region. Utah Jazz is probably the funniest franchise name in sports, and Real Salt Lake has the vibe of saying "Lamborghini Corolla" or something.

so, excited to have the Salt Lake Samurais or Utah Cataphracts next year. i hope they're just going through the Age of Empires 2 unique unit list and throwing a dart at it

Salt Lake Samurai would loving rule lol

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
lmao i just realized the blues lost to dallas in the SO last night, leaving them with the loser point and 92 overall. detroit finished with 91. just the most unbelievably disastrous season for the franchise

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Somebody just suggested Utah Blizzard having a rivalry with the Colorado Avalanche on Twitter and I'm here for it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ohrwurm posted:

Can’t find the tweet now but I lolled at “Utah Latter Day Skates”

lmao

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mike_V posted:

lmao i just realized the blues lost to dallas in the SO last night, leaving them with the loser point and 92 overall. detroit finished with 91. just the most unbelievably disastrous season for the franchise

I mean sure, maybe, whatever but with such a recent fluke cup feather in your cap, honestly who wants to hear it?

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

shyduck posted:

Utah Hockey Jazz

The Utah Cleared Checks

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/1781351849917817182

Ehhhhhh guess we'll see how that works out lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

this sounds ominous
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1781335993540337786

I like his season (and he played a full one for the first time in a while) so hopefully it's nothing major but... hrmm

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Very irritated that Mike Sullivan is gonna be behind the bench for yet another season. 6 years in a row of losing in the first round or missing the playoffs apparently isn't enough to replace him.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I like Sully and don't mind him continuing to hang around. I'm in no great hurry to get to the Sheldon Keefe era

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

What team is hiring Jay Woodcroft

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

I appreciate Kyle Dubas allowing Mike Sullivan to evaluate why he (Mike Sullivan) has sucked rear end at coaching for like 6 years going now

Hey Kyle was the one to know Kyle was the right man for the job!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

I like Sully and don't mind him continuing to hang around. I'm in no great hurry to get to the Sheldon Keefe era

I honestly do think he's a good coach but it's insanity to have poo poo results for 6 years going and not consider trying something different.

The powerplay issues alone this year should have been grounds to can the entire coaching staff

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Eric the Mauve posted:

Exactly why they should replace him now, instead of waiting until the leafs get bounced.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Well we can hope the whole "evaluating the coaching staff" means Reirden's rear end is grass, at least.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Eric the Mauve posted:

I nominate rex to do the Penguins

ITS THE 2023-24 PITTSBURGH PENGUINS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, THE WHOLE loving TEAM. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN poo poo gently caress SOUNDS WHEN I TURN THE PUCK OVER ON THE POWERPLAY FOR ANOTHER BACK BREAKING SHORTHANDED GOAL AGAINST OR EVEN WHEN MY FRANCHISE GOALIE IS BENCHED FOR A CAREER .906 -11.5 GSAA JOURNEY MAN NAMED NED. NOT MANY CAN SAY LETS RUN IT BACK AGAIN BOYS THIS TIME IT'S SURE TO WORK!!!!! I CAN! I SAY YINZ AND I SAY YINZ OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY WORKPLACE AND ALL THEY DO IS LOOK AT THE FLOOR AWKWARDLY AS THEY CONTINUE TO UNDER-ACHIEVE (but not really). AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE PLAYERS THAT WON'T SCORE AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING OUTLOUD TO NO ONE IN PARTICULAR FOR 2 HOURS EVERYDAY UNTIL THEY START PREGAME AND DISPAPPOINT ME AGAIN!

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

You're the best :golfclap:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

rex rabidorum vires posted:

ITS THE 2023-24 PITTSBURGH PENGUINS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, THE WHOLE loving TEAM. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN poo poo gently caress SOUNDS WHEN I TURN THE PUCK OVER ON THE POWERPLAY FOR ANOTHER BACK BREAKING SHORTHANDED GOAL AGAINST OR EVEN WHEN MY FRANCHISE GOALIE IS BENCHED FOR A CAREER .906 -11.5 GSAA JOURNEY MAN NAMED NED. NOT MANY CAN SAY LETS RUN IT BACK AGAIN BOYS THIS TIME IT'S SURE TO WORK!!!!! I CAN! I SAY YINZ AND I SAY YINZ OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY WORKPLACE AND ALL THEY DO IS LOOK AT THE FLOOR AWKWARDLY AS THEY CONTINUE TO UNDER-ACHIEVE (but not really). AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE PLAYERS THAT WON'T SCORE AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING OUTLOUD TO NO ONE IN PARTICULAR FOR 2 HOURS EVERYDAY UNTIL THEY START PREGAME AND DISPAPPOINT ME AGAIN!

:five:

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://x.com/tsn1200/status/1781334543493910899?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Haven’t made the playoffs in 7 years and also have a bottom-5 prospect pool, perhaps focus on drafting talent? Between this and confirming no buyouts I’m getting Pierre flashbacks

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

What team is hiring Jay Woodcroft

get the hell out of this thread for another 12 days please

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://x.com/tsn1200/status/1781334543493910899?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Haven’t made the playoffs in 7 years and also have a bottom-5 prospect pool, perhaps focus on drafting talent? Between this and confirming no buyouts I’m getting Pierre flashbacks

Don’t forget intangibles, grit and size. All things you can’t teach.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Passing, shooting, positioning, not taking dumb penalties, goaltending: also things you can't teach, if you're The Ottawa Senators

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

https://x.com/russohockey/status/1781434489996202056

this is hosed. iirc he played every game this season so he didn’t even get to skip one to get a break from Hockey Impacts or anything :smith:

HOLY FUCK fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 20, 2024

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Professional grade painkillers baby

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Alright someone help me find a team to root for

I'm a fan of the Arizona Cardinals so vibes matter more than wins hence loser thread

Auto no's:
- Chicago - They dug their own grave
- Utah - I barely remembered they existed when they were in AZ

What team has (relatively) less toxic vibes, irrelevant of wins?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Forrest on Fire posted:

Alright someone help me find a team to root for

I'm a fan of the Arizona Cardinals so vibes matter more than wins hence loser thread

Auto no's:
- Chicago - They dug their own grave
- Utah - I barely remembered they existed when they were in AZ

What team has (relatively) less toxic vibes, irrelevant of wins?

Nashville Predators. Fun location, their fans have fun chants at home games, they have a fun core of Sauros (goalie), Josi (defense) and Forsberg, and are def still underdogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
From Charlie’s article:

“That’s what we’re planning on, would be Ersson and Fedotov next season,” Briere confirmed. “Something could change, especially with the history of this organization with goaltending. It seems there’s always some drama there. But it would be nice to get away from the drama.””

lol.