Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

He isn’t a bad coach. He has coached several young teams into offensive powerhouses. But the dust hasn’t even settled on the Granato firing, like did Adams even interview anyone else? There were at least a few other good choices, but I guess this was the path of least resistance. He already had a relationship with the team, Adams was an assistant coach under him, plus nostalgia. We’ll see if it works out but it seems to me like his coaching style is a good fit for the roster that GMKA has built. That was a big problem with previous coach/GM tandems during the drought, so many times the GM was trying to build a fast, skilled team but the Pegulas kept hiring a coach that played a shutdown style and they did not mesh at all. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What if 2103 isn’t a typo and this is a 79 year contract

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Lindy is a very mediocre to bad coach so put him on the leftish side of the bell curve but not near the Mike Johnston wall of shame. However, he hasn't won poo poo. Ever. He's Paul Maurice by another name. Picking a retread from your vaguely 'glory years' will surely work out great.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The worst coach still employed in the NHL right now is probably Sheldon Keefe or Dave Hakstol. I mean it might be one of the guys in Columbus/San Jose/Chicago/Salt Lake? but those franchises are so hosed it's impossible to really tell. But even Keefe and Hakstol, as much as I have slagged them over the years and will definitely continue to due so, are nowhere near as bad, nowhere even in the same galaxy as bad, as Mike Johnston was.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Pretty much every team he turned into an "offensive powerhouse" also turned into essentially the worst defensive teams in the league so that's not necessarily a good thing!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

It's such a cowardly hire and man do I, an Oiler fan, know cowardly hires (until Ken Holland of all people started hiring new young coaches)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Lindy is a very mediocre to bad coach so put him on the leftish side of the bell curve but not near the Mike Johnston wall of shame. However, he hasn't won poo poo. Ever. He's Paul Maurice by another name. Picking a retread from your vaguely 'glory years' will surely work out great.

Yeah I would have preferred basically any of the other options available.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Pretty much every team he turned into an "offensive powerhouse" also turned into essentially the worst defensive teams in the league so that's not necessarily a good thing!

In the case of the Sabres in the late 00’s to the end of Ruff’s tenure, it was basically 100% about the roster. They were an insanely good defensive team in 2009-10 when they had Vezina-winner Ryan Miller plus peak Toni Lydman + Henrik Tallinder, not to mention Calder Winner Tyler Myers. Then Tallinder & Lydman were allowed to walk and their defense was poo poo the remaining three years. They managed to stumble into the playoffs in 2010-11 based on a few players having career years. When Pegula bought the team that season, the GM was given the green light to spend to the cap and he signed such exciting free agent defensemen as Christian Ehrhoff and Robyn Regehr! They also had issues with center depth and they signed Ville Leino, famously not a center, to alleviate that. Again, none of that was Ruff’s fault. Kinda like in NJ this season except the Sabres had Ryan Miller.

Man, after Briere and Drury, Darcy Regier was loving terrible at drafting. And trading and signing free agents. He sucked.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

It's such a cowardly hire and man do I, an Oiler fan, know cowardly hires (until Ken Holland of all people started hiring new young coaches)

Path of least resistance, yeah.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I'm just gonna drop this post here.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://x.com/darrendreger/status/1782743953646788715?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Who says hard work isn’t rewarded?

Seriously though, lol Flyers

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lmao

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

uh what why

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
That's a lot of money for a 27 year old that sucked poo poo. Lol that he was RFA. .811, 4.95 gaa, and a -4.9 GSAA. Hope he works on his geometry this off-season because he didn't look ready for beer league let alone NHL.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Said it before and i'll say it again

Roman Cechmanek 2.0

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Yes but tall

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I will not accept Roman Cechmanek (:rip:) slander :colbert:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Will you accept Rob Zepp?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Sure have at it

Roman was the man, he was an all star and won a Jennings, and bitched his team out for only scoring 2 goals in a 5 game series vs Ottawa which actually got him benched for that Game 5. We need more Romans

shyduck fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 23, 2024

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Guys im referencing how Roman was old when he started in the NHL and had a crazy deal like this guy, we know Roman ruled

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The irritating thing about this contract is that UPL is a RFA and if that’s how much a lovely goalie can get, imagine what UPL will want.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

He's RFA and arbitration eligible so UPL is going to get screwed no matter what. And that's ignoring all the money Ruff is going to cost him with his dogshit system.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Forrest on Fire posted:

Alright someone help me find a team to root for

I'm a fan of the Arizona Cardinals so vibes matter more than wins hence loser thread

Auto no's:
- Chicago - They dug their own grave
- Utah - I barely remembered they existed when they were in AZ

What team has (relatively) less toxic vibes, irrelevant of wins?

Islanders fans are the scum/salt of the earth with unbelievably loud energy and fun chants. Just be prepared to swear a blood oath of eternal hatred against the New York R*ng*rs, and don't ask your fellow fans how much they donated to the Nassau/Suffolk PBA.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Mr. Fish posted:

Islanders fans are the scum/salt of the earth with unbelievably loud energy and fun chants. Just be prepared to swear a blood oath of eternal hatred against the New York R*ng*rs, and don't ask your fellow fans how much they donated to the Nassau/Suffolk PBA.

Yeah I don't want that lol

Patrick Roy seems like a grumpy coach that's one missed defensive shift from trying to climb the glass to fight the other coach. I don't know hockey well enough to have opinions on their play style but they seem cowardly and unfun from an outside view

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Forrest on Fire posted:

Patrick Roy seems like a grumpy coach that's one missed defensive shift from trying to climb the glass to fight the other coach.

This sounds awesome, actually.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yes Patrick please haul your lard rear end over those boards and go fight Rod Brind'Amour

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Coyotes legend hangs 'em up:
https://twitter.com/F1RETHECANNON/status/1782763583928938613

His encore in Columbus was a fun story and ended too soon.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yes Patrick please haul your lard rear end over those boards and go fight Rod Brind'Amour

Has there ever been a coach-on-coach fight in the NHL?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Mr. Fish posted:

2012 was probably the closest we ever got if not

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Mr. Fish posted:

This is the closest I can remember (guest starring Cory Perry)
https://youtu.be/3y2OOc6WTrg?si=OsXjPOQ5x-p8BmJc

E: or this: https://youtu.be/mOjWuviST3c?si=vA-Afj_6PXdjvrkM

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Seriously though, lol Flyers
The Flyers haven't had dependable goaltending since Hextall. At this point I'm prepared to say Pele Lindberg cursed them.

But what other options do they have at this point? Contributing to Hart's defense fund and hoping for the best?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Wait until you find out how much they're paying Cal Petersen

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://youtu.be/TzD5RF7G2Qg?si=hCChCTrXaRdZLjjS

The coaches start screaming at each other around 1:45 but the whole fight is always worth watching, classic

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

deoju posted:

The Flyers haven't had dependable goaltending since Hextall. At this point I'm prepared to say Pele Lindberg cursed them.

But what other options do they have at this point? Contributing to Hart's defense fund and hoping for the best?

robert esche erasure

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bryzgalov too
he could have given them another couple of good seasons

it's not his fault they signed him for far too much money and term

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Bryzgalov too
he could have given them another couple of good seasons

it's not his fault they signed him for far too much money and term

The Bryz/Bob/Boosh goalie carousel was really funny

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

deoju posted:

I’ve been saying for years they’ve been cursed since Pelle.

loving rip.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

4/23/14, never forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z53_9gXCuEs&t=211s

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

shyduck posted:

Wait until you find out how much they're paying Cal Petersen
:lol: did not know that.

mennoknight posted:

robert esche erasure
OK, that's fair. But he didn't last long and he said something really poo poo-headed one time and I've never forgiven him. Somebody asked him who should be the 3rd goalie in the Olympics after him and Miller, Ty Conklin or John Graham. He said something like "neither of those guys belong in the NHL." But he hosed off to the KHL a while later while they stuck around. :lol:

I don't blame him for signing that contract at all. :homebrew:but Bryz came in with ridiculous expectations and he got treated terribly.

Why you haf to be mad? Is only game.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Mr. Fish posted:

Has there ever been a coach-on-coach fight

yes! go down to any youth hockey rink in Massachusetts and watch a bunch of guys who look like 90s Pat Burns go at it

Mr. Fish posted:

in the NHL?

oh. no, not that I can remember aside from the examples. they love yelling at each other but I think they're smart enough not to fight. Bettman would probably suspend everyone for years like he threatened in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GhNOkNvXZY

(will always post that clip)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Speaking of goalie contracts, guess how much longer the Isles are paying DiPietro...

5 more seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

deoju posted:

Speaking of goalie contracts, guess how much longer the Isles are paying DiPietro...

5 more seasons.

My personal favorite to follow because I've wondered if I'd live to see the day it ends.