Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

deoju posted:

Speaking of goalie contracts, guess how much longer the Isles are paying DiPietro...

5 more seasons.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

It would have been the greatest contract ever if he turned out to be on the level of Brodeur/Hasek/Roy etc.

if

Remember when he got injured at the Allstar skills comp? And he said "I hosed up my hip again" on camera? Bruh, always stretch before hitting the ice.

Dude had good taste in pads though. The stars and stripes he wore were dope. And the orange camo.

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity
That contract was so wack.
To say it didn’t work out is a similar statement to saying attacking Russia did not work out for Napoleon.

But if it did work out, how long did they expect him to play or be worth any sort of contract? He would be 40 when the original contract ended.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is Dave Hakstol still employed??

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
He's

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Who do they go for if they get rid of him??? Berube? Honest question because I'm not sure who's a viable choice right now, but then again i'd imagine most would be more effective than Hasktol lol

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Good soup! posted:

Who do they go for if they get rid of him??? Berube? Honest question because I'm not sure who's a viable choice right now, but then again i'd imagine most would be more effective than Hasktol lol

Their AHL team is doing pretty well, maybe they'll promote that young hotshot Dan Bylsma

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol :hmmyes:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ergo Propter Hog posted:

Their AHL team is doing pretty well, maybe they'll promote that young hotshot Dan Bylsma

32 thoughts podcast was mostly whatever today except one thing:

Friedman speculating the Kraken are going to replace Hakstol with Bylsma which just fuckin lol

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Having Bylsma for a coach is essentially having no coach. Which is strictly an upgrade over Hakstol, granted, but it works a lot better (in the regular season) for an ultratalented team like the Penguins of a decade ago than for a marginally talented team like the Kraken of today.

Suddenly being set free from Hakstol's junior-hockey system would set the whole team's skates on fire. The time to make that switch would be in January. Super dumb to go Hakstol to Bylsma during the offseason and lose that momentum. But then, Ron Francis is a super dumb GM.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
They had two losing streaks of at least 8 games this season if I remember right. But replacing Hakstol after giving him an extension means you made a mistake giving the extension. So Francis couldn’t admit that in January.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Oh by all means they should fire Hakstol yesterday. They should never have hired Hakstol in the first place. Just don't replace him with Bylsma during the offseason and expect anything good to come of it. They may start hot the first few months but they'll collapse in the second half of the season, certain sure.

They need to fire Hakstol and hire a real coach. But for that to happen they'd first have to fire Francis and hire a real GM.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Porrima posted:

That contract was so wack.
To say it didn’t work out is a similar statement to saying attacking Russia did not work out for Napoleon.

But if it did work out, how long did they expect him to play or be worth any sort of contract? He would be 40 when the original contract ended.

I think the idea behind his contract was sign this guy for 15 years at a number that will look smaller as the years go on. It was before teams started offering long deals and adding years at the end to lower the cap hit. But, if things worked out, his 4.5m cap hit in 2020-21 wouldn’t have been much. He would have been tied for the 18th highest cap hit for goalies.

Obviously, this never happened, and it was a huge risk.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Carver posted:

My personal favorite to follow because I've wondered if I'd live to see the day it ends.
For a long time this was the Yashin buyout. 8 year contract limits have ruined a proud tradition

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

They need to fire Hakstol and hire a real coach. But for that to happen they'd first have to fire Francis and hire a real GM.

Bylsma is not the answer, agreed.

Francis has lived up to his scouting. He seems to have drafted well, and if the kids can keep developing it will be a good place. But he still can’t manage to put together a team with free agency or manage to build a core faster than from five years from now. It was always going to be a 5-7 year project with him, and he dumped the trash in year one and went straight seller when it was clear he needed to be.

The biggest downfall for him is not having access to any top two line talents consistently. Beniers will be that, but Burakovsky didn’t show up being it. McCann and Eberle both have some talent, but then it drops off fast into mid third and fourth line. Having those guys is important, but you can’t make a whole team of it. McCann seems like the only guy who can score consistently and not just in streaks.

And that’s before we talk about goalies. Grubauer on that contract is a five year train wreck. Kids around here love him, but wouldn’t know why he’s such a liability. Having also Daccord and Dreidger is useful, but also a waste if Hakstol won’t sit Gru.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Francis suffers from the same disease most GMs in the NHL do: He's a coward.

Vegas has a non-coward GM who trades for top flight talent. Most GMs just don't do it.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 minutes!
Vegas feels different because they had the greatest expansion draft by far and were in a Cup window from the jump. This allowed them to be a bit looser with making deals. They obviously did get a Cup out of it so it worked, but this year they're looking at a draft where they pick in the 1st round and not again until the 6th. They're still riding the initial wave and more power to them, but it'll bite them eventually.

But agreed though, there are a lot of coward GMs floating around that could learn a thing or two, Ron Hextall

shyduck fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 24, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Vegas is already just about done as a top contender, in my astoundingly humble opinion. The franchise is now near fully mature, with the cap slag that comes with it. They're going to hate the Hertl and Hanifin contracts for a long time.

But they've played the game right the whole way down. Jam that window open as long as it can possibly be jammed, then collapse and start over.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i love Vegas. I love it when sports teams act as a kind of tulpa for the spiritual character of their city/state, e.g. the Bruins with Boston racism, the Devils with New Jersey sensitivity, the Marlins being a fairweather, boom-and-bust team playing in a garish, poorly-built stadium named after a company doing real estate crime. it rules.

Vegas is spiritually a city of crime and gambling. a team making endless all-in trades and blatantly violating the CBA is exactly what I want out of a Vegas sports team. it makes me optimistic for it remaining a great hockey town even after the NFL showed up and if the MLB can ever get there. as long as they keep acting like they have been, it's gonna be a great place to see a game.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Crosby being the platonic ideal of a hockey robot? buddy, that just makes sense in a town with Carnegie Mellon

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

OK then explain Letang

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i love Vegas. I love it when sports teams act as a kind of tulpa for the spiritual character of their city/state, e.g. the Bruins with Boston racism, the Devils with New Jersey sensitivity, the Marlins being a fairweather, boom-and-bust team playing in a garish, poorly-built stadium named after a company doing real estate crime. it rules.

Vegas is spiritually a city of crime and gambling. a team making endless all-in trades and blatantly violating the CBA is exactly what I want out of a Vegas sports team. it makes me optimistic for it remaining a great hockey town even after the NFL showed up and if the MLB can ever get there. as long as they keep acting like they have been, it's gonna be a great place to see a game.

It’s true, Vegas truly is the team you’d expect Vegas to be

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Eric the Mauve posted:

OK then explain Letang

Andy Warhol and drugs.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sharks fired David Quinn.

Dude never should have left BU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Quinn seems like a nice guy but I don't think he ever got how to coach NHLers. I think even his general idea of how he wants his teams to play is good, even if it's generic play fast, get pucks deep, blah blah

I just don't think he knows how to coach it. At least his first year with the Rangers he apparently coached them like they were college freshmen and several vets were like what the hell is this poo poo. Micromanaged everything, treated the players like they had to have their hands held through every part of it. Supposedly he loosened up after getting feedback from that year but yeah...maybe be an assistant first for a bit or something

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I really hope they bring back Todd McLellan cause lol

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

Quinn seems like a nice guy but I don't think he ever got how to coach NHLers. I think even his general idea of how he wants his teams to play is good, even if it's generic play fast, get pucks deep, blah blah

I just don't think he knows how to coach it. At least his first year with the Rangers he apparently coached them like they were college freshmen and several vets were like what the hell is this poo poo. Micromanaged everything, treated the players like they had to have their hands held through every part of it. Supposedly he loosened up after getting feedback from that year but yeah...maybe be an assistant first for a bit or something

I feel like people put a lot of stock into systems and poo poo when it really just comes down to being able to motivate your team to play whatever hare brained schemes you have as a coach. I think coaching is like 75% being a motivator.

It's why coaches have shelf lives. It's not that their system that previously gave them success suddenly starts sucking rear end. It's that the players stop buying into what they're doing and get complacent after hearing the same voice for so long.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That's largely true, but systems get figured out and go stale over the years too. Some coaches adapt and some don't.

Also I don't care if Hakstol were Winston Churchill in the motivational department, his junior hockey system would still lose in the NHL. Same for Quinn.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ginette Reno posted:

I feel like people put a lot of stock into systems and poo poo when it really just comes down to being able to motivate your team to play whatever hare brained schemes you have as a coach. I think coaching is like 75% being a motivator.

It's why coaches have shelf lives. It's not that their system that previously gave them success suddenly starts sucking rear end. It's that the players stop buying into what they're doing and get complacent after hearing the same voice for so long.

I think it's a bit of both, like Gallant got good results because he did motivate his team to play well but his lack of real coaching and structure left the teams eventually going "what the hell are we doing" and him telling them to just work harder

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

I think it's a bit of both, like Gallant got good results because he did motivate his team to play well but his lack of real coaching and structure left the teams eventually going "what the hell are we doing" and him telling them to just work harder

I think sometimes it goes the other way too where there's too much structure (Mike Sullivan).

But I think my point is largely true though

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Quinn’s one good quality was that he always seemed ready to legit beat the poo poo out of the officials or the other team defending his players. I can see why teams see that and think, “good guy for a young team” but beyond that he seemed totally lost. Shouldn’t have been pushed straight into head coach at the NHL level.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I don't mean to be more unkind than necessary, but only an idiot would hire someone whose only recent coaching experience is at the junior or college level to be an NHL head coach. The minimum is like long playing career + some AHL head coach experience, but better still is someone with fresh experience as an assistant NHL coach under a good head coach or two. Of which there are many who never get a shot, because the path of least resistance is to hire someone with ~experience~

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

WRONG loving THREAD ERIC :commissar:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't mean to be more unkind than necessary, but only an idiot would hire someone whose only recent coaching experience is at the junior or college level to be an NHL head coach. The minimum is like long playing career + some AHL head coach experience, but better still is someone with fresh experience as an assistant NHL coach under a good head coach or two. Of which there are many who never get a shot, because the path of least resistance is to hire someone with ~experience~

At least with the Rangers he was...I dunno, not absolutely horrible but not good, just kinda mediocre

with the Sharks it seems like he went full on bad

e: him doing the "well Kakko and Lafreniere are high picks but they gotta earn their time by learning to play defense first" probably set those players back. Laf seems to be recovering, not sure if Kakko will. I think there's a good argument to be made that when you've got high picks that are talented, you let them learn by playing the hell out of them and letting them make mistakes while you try to coach them about how to not make those mistakes in the future.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Jon Cooper is an interesting case for me because he didn't play NHL hockey or even d1 hockey or anything. But the dude is basically a coaching prodigy and if you look at his track record before making the NHL he's won at basically every level he's ever coached.

Easily the best coach in the NHL currently as well.

I feel like to make the NHL as a head coach without having a pro career you basically have to be that level of coach though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cooper did coach several years in the pro minors before the Lightning hired him, so he was a well qualified and smart hire as an NHL head coach. He also not merely won everywhere he coached, his teams dominated everywhere he coached, up to and including the NHL. He is one of the greatest hockey coaches ever.

And yet even he is getting near the end of the road in Tampa. Though in his specific case I think I'd keep him around to start over from scratch, unless he fanatically insists on veteran hugging.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Sharks fired David Quinn.

Dude never should have left BU

The Sharks are probably looking for a new coach who is good at developing young players. Welcome to San Jose, Head Coach Don Granato!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://x.com/usahockey/status/1783194486618656819

What the hell where are my borderline 3rd liners and college guys

That's gotta be the best US roster like maybe ever for this tournament, at least since a lockout year.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 25, 2024

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Yay, Matt Boldy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://x.com/Gambo987/status/1783255338319503445

Rip forever coyotes