Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Good. The Coyotes did not need to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bob Cole died

Everything is not happening

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I know last night's Leafs loss sucked, but you didn't have to just nope out like that Bob :(

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

holy poo poo I had no idea the guy was 90

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://x.com/hockey_robinson/status/1783544239508304006?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

New teenage phenom just dropped, 97 points in his 16 year old season in Medicine Hat

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It rules that two more years sounds about right for when the Penguins next tank should be beginning and there's gonna be a phenom available

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Is that Steve McKenna's kid? Steve was a goon who finished his NHL career with the rock-bottom Pens teams of the early 2000s

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is that Steve McKenna's kid? Steve was a goon who finished his NHL career with the rock-bottom Pens teams of the early 2000s

they don't have that relationship listed on EliteProspects but that would melt my brain if true. like I know Max Domi is a lot more of a skill player than Tie, and Jacob Chychrun/Jeff Chychrun has the same thing. but finding out the next phenom is the kid of like Eric Cairns or Steve McKenna or someone like that would be nutty

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

they don't have that relationship listed on EliteProspects but that would melt my brain if true. like I know Max Domi is a lot more of a skill player than Tie, and Jacob Chychrun/Jeff Chychrun has the same thing. but finding out the next phenom is the kid of like Eric Cairns or Steve McKenna or someone like that would be nutty

Tanner Glass started a hockey program for his kid to play in. I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised at all if the kids of successful hockey players (regardless of position) had the opportunity to be also a really good hockey player.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah same. But then again, like, Sidney Crosby's dad wasn't half as good a hockey player as Steve McKenna

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Jhet posted:

Tanner Glass started a hockey program for his kid to play in. I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised at all if the kids of successful hockey players (regardless of position) had the opportunity to be also a really good hockey player.

i agree 100% with your point, even if it's just a "this rich parent can afford to get their kid all the training/whatever"

but you DID say Tanner Glass, and he's too busy turning our high draft picks into grinders to create the next generational talent:

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/team/front-office#:~:text=of%20Player%20Development-,Tanner%20Glass,-Player%20Development%20Assistant

now, if his kid plays defense and is drafted with like a mid-first rounder? baby, we can do that no problem

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

i agree 100% with your point, even if it's just a "this rich parent can afford to get their kid all the training/whatever"

but you DID say Tanner Glass, and he's too busy turning our high draft picks into grinders to create the next generational talent:

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/team/front-office#:~:text=of%20Player%20Development-,Tanner%20Glass,-Player%20Development%20Assistant

now, if his kid plays defense and is drafted with like a mid-first rounder? baby, we can do that no problem

Interesting, because he lives out here in the Seattle area. I won't dox his kid or anything, but the kids that I see in the program do play skill hockey. The biggest problem we have here is lack of ice for all the growing programs. Kraken only built three rinks bringing the total to only 13 full size rinks in the Seattle metro area.

You do need some grinders too, but it's interesting to see him on that front office roster too. I guess he can always jump in an airplane to go to Hartford or just do most of it on zoom or whatever. Get in that corner and pick up some more PIMs kid.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Once Matt Martin's kid grows up it's over for you hoes

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://x.com/thesabrereport/status/1783851020151586893?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Kill me plz

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

It's impressive how long their drought is given how much luck and bullshit is involved in hockey, and that half the league makes the playoffs.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
But they had Stanley Cup winners Ryan OReilly and Jack Eichel in that time frame.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Duckman2008 posted:

But they had Stanley Cup winners Ryan OReilly and Jack Eichel in that time frame.

They drafted Brandon Hagel but Jason Botterill decided he wasn’t worth signing :smith:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Buffalo and Ottawa have the worst combo of meddling owner and terrible GM. So many needless mistakes over the last decade. Bad drafts, bad trades, bad signings. Add onto that some pretty nasty injuries to the few key players and youre wading into Cursed Team territory.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Buffalo and Ottawa have the worst combo of meddling owner and terrible GM. So many needless mistakes over the last decade. Bad drafts, bad trades, bad signings. Add onto that some pretty nasty injuries to the few key players and youre wading into Cursed Team territory.

GMs that aren't terrible won't work for meddling owners.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Furnaceface posted:

It’s almost comical, they haven’t made the ‘yoffs in 7 years and may also have the worst prospect pool in the league. Their last 3 1st rounders were:
‘21 10th overall Tyler Boucher (lol)
‘22 7th overall (traded for single mediocre season of DeBrincat)
‘23 12th overall (traded for single mediocre season of Chychrun)

And they gotta give up a 1st in the next 3 drafts

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Furnaceface posted:

Botterill kept trading away draft picks and prospects for lovely players to the point that Rochester was playing game with fewer than 20 players. But Kevyn Adams has drafted really well and now Buffalo has a stacked prospect pipeline. Rochester is set up to go deep in the playoffs for the second year in a row. In fact, they could definitely afford to trade one to fill in the gaps on the Sabres’ roster. But he wouldn’t until Rochester’s season ends, obviously.

Adams has done decently well in trades, he’s just been terrible at signing free agents. Also the Pegulas haven’t had much input into the team since Kim had a serious medical emergency last year and stepped down from being president of the team.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Continually bleeding young talent like Eichel, O'Reilly, Reinhart, Mittelstadt is also just probably not great for team morale.
There's no worse feeling in a working environment than feeling like you're finally gaining some footing only to end up having another year of personnel turnover to deal with

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Continually bleeding young talent like Eichel, O'Reilly, Reinhart, Mittelstadt is also just probably not great for team morale.
There's no worse feeling in a working environment than feeling like you're finally gaining some footing only to end up having another year of personnel turnover to deal with

The O’Reilly trade is far enough in the past that it doesn’t really matter any more. Reinhart was cool and I was sad that he left but he was also traded for future elite goalie Devon Levi and a first that became Jiri Kulich who is one of their best prospects. Eichel was traded for the guy who wants to be a Sabre more than anyone else in the entire loving world, plus Krebs and a first that ended up being Noah Östlund who is currently making a huge impact in Rochester after coming over from Sweden only a couple weeks ago. The Mittelstadt trade was rough on the room for sure, but also Byram had played with a bunch of the players already on Team Canada, who were extremely excited for him to join the team. Adams had already committed long term to Tage and Cozens as 1C and 2C and it didn’t make sense to sign Mittelstadt to a big contract too, especially if he would be playing third-line minutes most nights. Cozens is several years younger than Mittelstadt and until late last season, it didn’t seem like Mittelstadt would be better than a 3C. Please ignore the fact that Mittelstadt’s messed up development was 100% the fault of the org misusing him for years. Anyway, his play this season gave him a lot of value and I think the trade worked for both teams. At least, I hope the trade helps Buffalo next season. It’s clearly already having an impact for Colorado.

They have a better core and way more depth than Ottawa, not to mention significantly better goalies. I don’t think they’re in comparable situations.

I’m sure Adams knows that his job is on the line this offseason so he is going to do whatever he can to make the team better. From what both Adams and Terry Pegula have said, it sounds like Adams is going to be allowed to spend to the cap this year which could help. Since the firing of Granato, Adams has said all the right things but he has to back them up. He believes Ruff is the right guy to get them over the hump. We’ll see what happens.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
Buffalo is firmly in “show me” territory

All the words about young talent and future promise and “if only this happened in the season” is all just talk and bullshit until they actually prove they’re not just the same old Sabres wasting talent and going nowhere

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Which will never happen as long as anyone named Pegula is involved in their ownership.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Levitate posted:

Buffalo is firmly in “show me” territory

All the words about young talent and future promise and “if only this happened in the season” is all just talk and bullshit until they actually prove they’re not just the same old Sabres wasting talent and going nowhere

That’s essentially been what the GM, the new coach and every player has said since the season ended. They have a lot of work to do this offseason.

In the meantime I am (hopefully) going to watch Rochester kill it in the AHL playoffs. They’re up 1-0 on Syracuse so far.

Edit: it’s worth noting that they only signed Ruff to a two-year deal, which was surprisingly smart. Seems likely that their hope is that Ruff will get them over the hump and then retire so they can move on to another coach who can give them sustained success.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 28, 2024

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Signing Ruff in the first place is the opposite of smart.

e: I know this feels like Im picking on Buffalo, but Im not. I still have a soft spot for them (and Ottawa for some reason) from back when I was a kid just getting into hockey. Buffalo was close enough to southern Ontario that we got a lot of their games so I kind of grew up with them, so Id love to see them turn things around. But the Pegulas are going to make that extremely unlikely.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 28, 2024

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

bring me the head of rick bowness

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

FBS posted:

Put it in a paper bag first please

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

FBS posted:

Cole Perfetti in the pressbox is the sign of a sick brain

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Welcome, Caps!

:sweep: :sweep: :sweep:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sup caps

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

To the surprise of no one,

https://x.com/friedgehnic/status/1785010726576484372?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

To the surprise of no one,

https://x.com/friedgehnic/status/1785011363036979696?s=46

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

I'm so drat happy they actually did it, even despite signing him to an extension last season.

Gonna suck real bad when they announce Bylsma as the new one though.

Still though, this morning I open palm slammed Dave Hakstol in the loving bin.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
FINALLY.

E: I now question Elliot's ability to gauge success.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 29, 2024

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

He was talking about it on 32 thoughts after talking about the Lindy Ruff hiring!

They’ll likely promote Bylsma because he’s currently coaching in Coachella Valley who did really well in the regular season and could go far in the playoffs.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

He was talking about it on 32 thoughts after talking about the Lindy Ruff hiring!

They’ll likely promote Bylsma because he’s currently coaching in Coachella Valley who did really well in the regular season and could go far in the playoffs.

Yay... three more years of poo poo hockey.

There's a ton of people not renewing their season tickets, but they're selling like hotcakes still. It's too bad it doesn't feel like a hockey game in the arena.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I don't have any thoughts on Hakstol but their roster sucks total poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Agreed, Bylsma will be no better than Hakstol with the players they have. Francis is the problem.