Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

forget the NHL, how did these guys avoid getting sued by local business

The Coyotes probably did get sued by local businesses!

This thing has happened a lot with America's dumbest small business owners, but it's really picked up since 2015-16 for obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

It isn't. Reaves was in 2017 for a 1st and Oskar Sunqvist. Additionally, Jimmy added Matt Hunwick for 3 years and 2.25 per. 8 months later Reaves is dumped for Brassard with a laundering through Vegas, but mostly important...a 1st to Ottawa that became K'andre Miller when New York traded up to grab him at 22 in 2018. The Hunwick deal was whatever but Jimmy then dumped him with Conor Sheary to Buffalo for a conditional 4th. Thennnnnn he signed JMFJ. Point being Reaves kicked off the poo poo shower. Everything since has been bleeding assets to 'fix' mistakes and then making new worse mistakes.

those lovely trades and signings also resulted in them letting Bonino walk, which opened up a hole in the 3rd line that they never really managed to find a fit for until Eller this year

you really take for granted your 3rd line shutdown center you can give crushing assignments to who can still put up even strength points until you don't have one and your entire system falls apart

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
hockey might be about to get even cooler:

https://twitter.com/ByronMBader/status/1785385367740493843

(i hope this misses the Pens/Caps/Flyers/Blue Jackets. we already have Michkov and Fantilli coming up. no thank you on anything else)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

those lovely trades and signings also resulted in them letting Bonino walk, which opened up a hole in the 3rd line that they never really managed to find a fit for until Eller this year

you really take for granted your 3rd line shutdown center you can give crushing assignments to who can still put up even strength points until you don't have one and your entire system falls apart

Might have been solved sooner if not for Sullivan's being so deeply in love with Jeff Carter's corpse

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

E: wrong thread

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
well you came to the right thread for not playing anymore!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

well you came to the right thread for not playing anymore!

I am going to maximize my other thread posting while I can, it’s true

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1785460979213738105?s=46&t=gV5IMpOBckeRyivYbQ-iug

he's all yours

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Only hire Travis Green if you hate generating offense and love giving your opponents odd man rushes.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

hockey might be about to get even cooler:

https://twitter.com/ByronMBader/status/1785385367740493843

(i hope this misses the Pens/Caps/Flyers/Blue Jackets. we already have Michkov and Fantilli coming up. no thank you on anything else)
Maybe people are just throwing around the word "generational" with increasing frequency. :shrug:

Also that list/model doesn't include Eric Lindros who was absolutely generational before the punctured lung and hot brains.

deoju fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 1, 2024

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hughes hasn’t had enough of a run yet, and I guess Eichel’s just in there because he won a cup?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
That’s some recency bias for sure. Eichel is a great hockey player, but he’s not a generational talent. Neither is Jack Hughes almost certainly. Another great player, but not absolutely incredible. McDavid for sure, and Matthews probably should be there just for his incredible scoring performances.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

POTVIN SUCKS

and so do the fishsticks

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Ew.

Koopa Kid posted:

Hughes hasn’t had enough of a run yet, and I guess Eichel’s just in there because he won a cup?
I think it's just production before your draft year, with some projection if they're including a 2026 player. I don't really know how they accounted for players in European leagues though, and it looks pretty dumb on the surface.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

deoju posted:

Maybe people are just throwing around the word "generational" with increasing frequency. :shrug:

Also that list/model doesn't include Eric Lindros who was absolutely generational before the punctured lung and hot brains.

agreed! not sure if he missed the cutoff or what

Koopa Kid posted:

I believe he's talking about how his model would have predicted/does predict the guys' career trajectory in their draft year, not retroactively

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
This Islanders team seems doomed to finish either as a pretty weak wild card or a pretty meh draft position. I don’t envy Lou’s son when he takes over because apparently being a mediocre GM for a decade plus lets you choose your successor.

I hope he tries to keep the no facial hair rule enforced lol

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I think it's just production before your draft year, with some projection if they're including a 2026 player. I don't really know how they accounted for players in European leagues though, and it looks pretty dumb on the surface.

I believe he's talking about how his model would have predicted/does predict the guys' career trajectory in their draft year, not retroactively

Ah, got it. That seems uh… like a way you could choose to evaluate players

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Koopa Kid posted:

Ah, got it. That seems uh… like a way you could choose to evaluate players

I only know that guy from this:

https://twitter.com/IcehockeyG/status/1760049541850513866

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

If Bowness is back I might skip hockey next year. Disgraceful.

https://twitter.com/ProducerDrew_/status/1785520127745634460

https://x.com/SNstats/status/1785524008026259565

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I guess this is the proper thread for me to post about how mind boggling that 3rd period was for Bowness. Why go back to the same lines that got dominated for 3 games in a row.

I hope he retires. I don't think Chevy has the guts to fire him

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

ZeeBoi posted:

POTVIN SUCKS

and so do the fishsticks

HI LOSER THREAD. THANK U FOR A WARM WELCOME. FEELING REALLY 21ST CENTURY.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

agreed! not sure if he missed the cutoff or what

Supposedly Lindros just fell outside. Same with Ovechkin. I am unsure how Ovie's production translates, but even if you just focus on the numbers, Lindros was dominating the OHL. So I don't know why he missed out being in the same group as the others.

I am not doubting there is a lot of talent coming into the league, but I'd also question my model a little more harshly if it started pumping out this data.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

lol this team won the Jennings

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
So how long of a new contract does Lou sign Clutterbuck and Martin to now that they are both UFA?

But seriously, I am looking forward to the end of "THE BEST 4TH LINE IN HOCKEY" finally. They were cool when that was mostly true, but the last few years have been rough.

Now we just need to see if Roy continues to play 3 centers on the 1st line with one of them having been a 4th line center for the past 12 years.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

kill me now posted:

So how long of a new contract does Lou sign Clutterbuck and Martin to now that they are both UFA?

But seriously, I am looking forward to the end of "THE BEST 4TH LINE IN HOCKEY" finally. They were cool when that was mostly true, but the last few years have been rough.

Now we just need to see if Roy continues to play 3 centers on the 1st line with one of them having been a 4th line center for the past 12 years.

Matt Martin - Head of Department of Player Safety

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://x.com/darrendreger/status/1785731186884575469?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

https://x.com/j_swish24/status/1785015886820336109?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Wonder why Dundon won’t pay him

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Probably because, like most high-rep coaches, he wants to be defacto GM.

And yeah also it's a safe guess he wants to be the highest paid coach in NHL history by far, and knows if the Canes won't make it so, someone else will.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

I can live with this if it happens. Why not move to sunny* Seattle.

*sunny may or may not be accurate.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Rod the Bod come back to Philly

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I don't even know where Brind'Amour would go if it's not Toronto and it's not Seattle--and I have a hard time seeing him go to either of those teams because they both have firmly entrenched GMs who won't likely be cool with him picking his own staff and being heavily involved in picking his players too. But then again it may just be a matter of piling up the bricks of cash until he says yes, which Toronto in particular might be willing to do.

Also hilarious because Brind'Amour has a longer track record of underachieving in the playoffs than anyone in the league besides Keefe.

e: I can't imagine their ownership would come close to paying what he'd want, but Brind'Amour grew up in Ottawa.....

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya Ottawa or New Jersey cause he's close with Fitzgerald.

Dundun doesn't think he should pay front office staff much, that hey are all generally replaceable. Most of their front office is hilariously underpaid relative to other teams.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Seattle getting the Canes great coach after getting their great play-by-play announcer would be pretty funny.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I have to believe they've already hired Bylsma. The timing makes me think someone else was sniffing around on him and they decided to lock him up and they'll announce after their AHL season is done.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
All of this leaking right after the team made the 2nd round is weird, wonder why Rods agent went to Dreger all of a sudden

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ya Ottawa or New Jersey cause he's close with Fitzgerald.

Dundun doesn't think he should pay front office staff much, that hey are all generally replaceable. Most of their front office is hilariously underpaid relative to other teams.

Oh right I forgot about Jersey, good call. Yeah that's probably the team that's already communicated (in a totally deniable way, no of course we're not tampering) to Rod's agent a willingness to pay megabucks. Now all of a sudden Rod's asking price went way up, imagine that.

I think Dundon will end up begrudgingly paying him, though. Letting him walk would cost him more money than ponying up to keep him would. If Rod walks, Carolina probably bottoms out fast.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 2, 2024

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

“I think it’s all but done,” Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon said in a telephone interview with the News & Observer. “(General manager) Don (Waddell) and him are working on it. I don’t think there’s anything there. We’re in the playoffs and they haven’t focused on it. They’re doing it together. I said OK to almost everything they’ve asked me for. They’re just getting through the last little stuff.”

Waddell declined to comment.

“It’s in Tom’s hands,” Brind’Amour said in a text message to the N&O.

lmao

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

kill me now posted:

Lou is going to entomb Marts and Clutter in dreadnoughts so they can serve beyond death.

I don't know what Cizikas was doing on the first line either, but drat if it wasn't almost sorta kinda working for a bit if you squinted really hard and unfocused your eyes a little.

WeaponX posted:

Matt Martin - Head of Department of Player Safety

This but unironically.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Mr. Fish posted:

Lou is going to entomb Marts and Clutter in dreadnoughts so they can serve beyond death.

My first indication that my slumber is done is that I am cold and in pain. Praise be to Lou, for the pain and cold tell me that I live, that soon I will serve the Islanders again from beyond the doors of death. Praise be! Invictus Potens is active, my glorious tomb awakens! The Apothecary places his hand briefly upon my sarcophagus in sympathy. His gesture is wasted. I feel nothing that is not directly relevant to the prosecution of grinding out a 50 second shift in the corners and skating back to the bench.

Pain is my companion. The pain of getting bounced in the first round is constant, all encompassing. Death’s legacy, a reminder that I no longer live, my gift from Lou and one I willingly share with these 4th line griders on other Metro teams. My hockey stick speaks until it has run out of words. Thereafter I use its red-hot blade to slash Metro skaters with the mark of death. It is a holy mark, but no absolution comes with it, only two minutes in the box.

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

.Spec posted:

My first indication that my slumber is done is that I am cold and in pain. Praise be to Lou, for the pain and cold tell me that I live, that soon I will serve the Islanders again from beyond the doors of death. Praise be! Invictus Potens is active, my glorious tomb awakens! The Apothecary places his hand briefly upon my sarcophagus in sympathy. His gesture is wasted. I feel nothing that is not directly relevant to the prosecution of grinding out a 50 second shift in the corners and skating back to the bench.

Pain is my companion. The pain of getting bounced in the first round is constant, all encompassing. Death’s legacy, a reminder that I no longer live, my gift from Lou and one I willingly share with these 4th line griders on other Metro teams. My hockey stick speaks until it has run out of words. Thereafter I use its red-hot blade to slash Metro skaters with the mark of death. It is a holy mark, but no absolution comes with it, only two minutes in the box.

Brother Speccus I wrap the Purity tape upon your stick and apply the blessed unguents deemed legal by the Adeptus Hockey directly into your veins in praise of your speech

Tear rolling as I watch STC Zambonis purge the unclean from the ice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

EVEN IN DEATH, I STILL SKATE.