Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
That being said, it does feel like things are getting a bit smoother from my perspective as an audience member, so there is at least some progress being made!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

By the way, Y on parts opens up an expanded information menu. You can get more details about what stuff does

Another thing to look at and thing about in regards to plot

Balam/Dafeng has been throwing missions against the rebels

Arquebus/Schneider, has been having you sabotage Balam/Dafeng's forces and weaken them.

Parts:

External:
Legs determine your base mobility and how much load you can put on top of them, Their weight matters only for your movement speed. Load is how much weight of everything else you can haul
Types: Biped(standard legs, have the best overall boosting and good stats around/Reverse joint (chicken leg that has best upward jumping)/Quad(Hover shenanigans)/Tank(lots of hp and resistance, massive carry weight, you... have tank controls for mobility and they use integrated boosters so limits options)
Core is your torso, main bit of hp/damage resistance/so on. Core also impacts your generator efficencies. Damage resistance is explosive/energy/Kinetic, it goes in percentages with 1000 points = 100% damage taken 900 = 110% 1100 = 90%. so each point is a 0.1% change in how much damage you take.
Arms are for your arm mounted weapons ie melee: they have a weapons load limit for the two things you have on hand, arms also impact your firearms spec (aiming) and melee spec (melee damage)
Head: Attitude control, scanning range and duration, status effect resistance are the big one's here.
Internal:
FCS: effects your lock on and tracking (game input reads on all sides to help hits happen.) Close/medium/far and missiles. Better helps you in that range band, close is within 100ish medium 100-200 far outside of 200 or so, missiles have their own thing of course.
Booster: zoom zoom zoom, it has a lot of stats that matter for horizontal/vertical/assault boost thrust/quick boost thrust/Duration of quick boost and time between them/Melee boost. Weight is a huge huge factor for your boosting
Melee boost is how far and how quick you will ram into an enemies face to hit them with your sword.
Generator: Controls your energy, each part other than the generator uses energy to operate so you need to have a generator that can run your mech, more space energy here means faster regeneration in battle, the part also provides your energy for boosting/melee/energy weaponry which is a different amount available, regeneration rate is how fast you get your energy back when not drawing down your bar.
Weapons:
Right Arm: Guns
Left arm: Anything right arm can do + melee weapons go here
Right shoulder: Weapons
Left Shoulder: Same but you can have a shield

The initial mech parts are some of the lowest weight and energy parts in the game, basically most of anything else is going to either be heavier, or use a lot more energy, or both.

Also remember that stuff sells for the same price you buy it, go buy some guns and play around with them to get a better feel for things and to find out what clicks better for your personal style.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 23, 2024

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Also, if you push the Options button (or whatever the thing at the bottom says is Help), you get detailed explanation of what the stats actually mean.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab posted:

The initial mech parts are some of the lowest weight and energy parts in the game, basically most of anything else is going to either be heavier, or use a lot more energy, or both.

Also remember that stuff sells for the same price you buy it, go buy some guns and play around with them to get a better feel for things and to find out what clicks better for your personal style.

I'm a little surprised about that actually. I thought that the game would start out at mid weight and let you go either side, which is a little sad because I quite like being super fast and speedy, so it seems like I might not see many upgrades for that.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Oh there are upgrades for all that. This game starts you with a mix of technical parts, like the core, head, limbs, booster and FCS, total turds, the starting rifle and generator, profoundly mid, the missile launcher, and the BUTT sword, one of the best swords in the game, along with every other sword in the game, but in different ways. It's not a whole trash start or a yardstick start, it's a dumpster dive start with hidden gems..

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

I'm a little surprised about that actually. I thought that the game would start out at mid weight and let you go either side, which is a little sad because I quite like being super fast and speedy, so it seems like I might not see many upgrades for that.

Low profile mech for a stealth insertion. Also note that all the parts have manufacturers, the names of the parts follow themes as well, see if you can guess them!

Also following up on what was said there, All melee weapons are... different from each other outside of one pair of them, they swing different, have different combos, very fun to try out and see what clicks best with you.

Also trust me, you are no where near speedy yet. like I said, while the parts here are low weight, they are not SUPER low weight, and better boosters will help up the speed a lot, your boosters so far in the videos are just the low energy starters.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 24, 2024

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Good Job downing it first pass.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Swording the eye is good honest fun but you have to line up the angle a bit.

By the way, the replay mission menu will tell you where you have missing logs and combat log enemies, since you have parts rewards from that, it's a useful thing to try to keep updated.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

SIGSEGV posted:

Swording the eye is good honest fun but you have to line up the angle a bit.

By the way, the replay mission menu will tell you where you have missing logs and combat log enemies, since you have parts rewards from that, it's a useful thing to try to keep updated.

There is an extra enemy in the dam mission, its off to the side, go right after the first set of generators to find it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

This game sure has some scale to it, huh

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Michigan: the best loving guy in the game :allears: Redguns for life

Weight only does one thing: you can only stack so many heavy parts of a set of legs before your AC can' t move any more. This is to stop you from putting two giant gently caress off laser cannons on your back and two bazookas on your arms without having to use something like slowass tank legs or parts with less AP, worse generator, etc. If you want a big gun on legs good at jumping or flying you need to trade off with a lighter core, poo poo generator etc. Weight doesn't directly affect speed at all (that's the boost speed in the bottom right, which is done by legs and boost part). Tank legs with bazookas and tank legs with pistols will be the same speed.

Load limit on arms is similar. Arms with good tracking (the aiming reticule actually locking onto a dodging enemy, you'll see it turn red when your shots will hit) won't be able to hold two bazookas at the same time. Arms can be better or worse with melee weapons as well, fyi. The bulky arms you got this video do extra sword damage through melee specialization.

E: also, the FCS computers are more than better missile lock on. Look at what the Numbers at the bottom are saying

Slaan fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 25, 2024

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
It's a really interesting system but it's also really hard to assess comparatives for me.

I don't actually know if that's good or bad because it speaks to real balance between the different parts.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Imo only three things actually matter and need to be though about: FCS, legs and booster. Switching those greatly changes how you play. Otherwise, play mech dress up and use the weapon you think is cool. They're all more or less capable of taking you through the first two runs

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

It's a really interesting system but it's also really hard to assess comparatives for me.

I don't actually know if that's good or bad because it speaks to real balance between the different parts.

Fromsoft has spent a long long time working on armored core games, The parts in the game are mainly, and I say mainly, side grades to each other, outside of the starting jank fcs/booster/generator you get, everything else, even the starting gun and missile, especially the starting body parts, are all useful in some way to some manner of build, it really gets down to "what do I feel like using."

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

AC6 seems to have even more balance and viability for nearly every part compared to earlier titles, they've really thought about it. Just test stuff out heaps, don't go over your weight or energy limits, and use whatever is fun!

I'm just starting to watch these now, but given how much you hated bloodborne, I'm a bit on edge about how you'll feel about this - I've never played bloodborne myself, but have been hearing a lot about how both these games reward a similarly aggressive playstyle. But i guess there's also basically zero grind or penalty for dying. And you're already what, half a dozen videos in, so I assume you're having a good time so far?

[Edit] you absolute maniac, you took down the pca chopper second try without using the blade's combo and charge attacks, or your missiles. Impressive!

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 26, 2024

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Did anyone mention yet that you should put assault boost on circle instead of whatever the default input is.

You can cancel assault boost by pulling down the left stick.

Those 2 tips were game changing for me.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'm also interested to see how your tallgeese cosplay build goes. Fast boosters with blade, shield and cannon seems doable, although you might want a sidearm to avoid running out of ammo on longer missions.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Don't fret too much about looking at the shop/build screen. That's kind of the real meat of these games anyway.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Crazy Achmed posted:

AC6 seems to have even more balance and viability for nearly every part compared to earlier titles, they've really thought about it. Just test stuff out heaps, don't go over your weight or energy limits, and use whatever is fun!

I'm just starting to watch these now, but given how much you hated bloodborne, I'm a bit on edge about how you'll feel about this - I've never played bloodborne myself, but have been hearing a lot about how both these games reward a similarly aggressive playstyle. But i guess there's also basically zero grind or penalty for dying. And you're already what, half a dozen videos in, so I assume you're having a good time so far?

[Edit] you absolute maniac, you took down the pca chopper second try without using the blade's combo and charge attacks, or your missiles. Impressive!

The difference between this and Bloodborne is that in AC6 I am playing an incredibly fast and responsive mech that does exactly what I want it to do. In Bloodborne I am playing a tank stuck in a swamp of treacle that moves all of about five centimeters with an evasive.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

All this mech customisation is getting me daydreaming about a high-def Into The Breach.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

The difference between this and Bloodborne is that in AC6 I am playing an incredibly fast and responsive mech that does exactly what I want it to do. In Bloodborne I am playing a tank stuck in a swamp of treacle that moves all of about five centimeters with an evasive.

You know, you might enjoy AC4A (and AC4 which is made better? Good? By 4A. It's a strange relationship.)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

You were wondering why the left trigger was zooming you forward at the end of the video. Pretty much every melee weapon will do that to some extent. If you have any boost bar left, the melee will use all of that up to zoom you up close to wack them with a sword. It is great in that it makes sure you hit if you're close enough, but it can really screw you over if your target is just out of range, yeah.

Also, definitely replace your starting assault rifle. It isn't bad, but you have much, much better options. The mech bay is literally half of the game, so don't feel bad about spending time there on screen.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Great Job taking down the juggernaut with... literally the canon build for 621. And I mean it that is what the dev's have said storyline wise 621 used. One of the reasons I said that all the weapons are at a minimum decent.

But please, go play pretty princess robot simulator, try out all the wacky weapons available to you, its the most fun part of the game.

And utilize the quick and assault boosts more, once you have those down to second hand your dodging skills will pick up even further from where you stand.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Slaan posted:

You were wondering why the left trigger was zooming you forward at the end of the video. Pretty much every melee weapon will do that to some extent. If you have any boost bar left, the melee will use all of that up to zoom you up close to wack them with a sword. It is great in that it makes sure you hit if you're close enough, but it can really screw you over if your target is just out of range, yeah.

Also, definitely replace your starting assault rifle. It isn't bad, but you have much, much better options. The mech bay is literally half of the game, so don't feel bad about spending time there on screen.

It wasn't the sword that was causing me to close, it was activating my shield that would force me to boost forward. I'm really unsure about what was happening there.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

My big thought about the hangar: you may have seen that shitpost about how games are "menus" or "parkour"? Armored Core games are Menus. It may look like Parkour, but it is not. The Parkour exists to test your ability at Menus.

For guns, while the starting rifle is fine, the Ludlow machine gun is also pretty good. It doesn't do as much damage per bullet, but that is a lot of bullets. The laser pistol is also pretty good, because it doesn't hit as hard as the rifle, but it's enough for most things, and its high rate of fire makes up for the slightly lower per-hit damage. I'll also add that there are games where if you can charge your weapon, you must charge your weapon, because it's loving poo poo otherwise. Charging is a nice option here, but the laser pistol and linear rifle are perfectly fine if you spam them.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The garage is the one part of the game that has ray tracing enabled, that should be enough to tell you which part of the game is the real game. ("The Game" is also the garage soundtrack in Last Raven.)

If you want to try out various builds, or a new weapon, there's nothing like taking to a few mission replays to see how it measures up. It'll also help top up your funds so you can have more parts bought at any point and more options available from in mission checkpoints since they allow you to modify your build live.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Pottering around in the shop and garage is totally fine, it's interesting to see which parts you guys gravitate towards or dislike.

I think you've figured most of it out already, but don't stress out about the numbers - yes you can indeed hyper-optimise everything, but as you've shown by already carving through poo poo using mostly starting parts, most things are viable and you don't need to go full poopsock in order to progress and enjoy the game. The main stuff is:

Weight limit: defined by your legs. Stay under it or you'll be crazy slow/prohibited from launching.
Total weight of your mech: plays off against your booster thrust to determine your speed. See what happens if you use light nachtreiher legs with the fast alula boosters...
EN limit: defined by your generator's capacity stat. Similar to weight every part has an energy drain stat - stay under your limit or you can't launch.
EN recharge rate is also influenced by how close to your EN limit you are. If you are very close to being at your limit, this will slow down your recharge rate - but if you are way under your limit, you get a bonus instead.
FCS stats: handguns, machine guns and shotguns benefit from short range assist; everything else is medium to long range. The missile stat speeds up lock-on time.

Legs and guns will affect your playstyle more than anything else, just try out whatever looks or sounds cool to you in the VR test mode (you can spawn enemies from the menu), you can sell anything at full price so there is no penalty at all for messing around and having fun.

Oh, and paint your bloody mech - if you're going for gundam wing style sword-to-the-face play then surely you gotta do it with style.

[edit] About the controls - you're not accidentally pushing the left stick in when you tense your hand to press LT, are you? A lot of people have complained about it being too easy to unintentionally click in the stick, which does indeed turbo-boost you towards your target.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 29, 2024

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

SIGSEGV posted:

You know, you might enjoy AC4A (and AC4 which is made better? Good? By 4A. It's a strange relationship.)

4 and 4A are too fast -- it's a combination of design choice and From just not being that good at controls yet. NEXTs are supposed to feel out of control, like a force of pure destruction that's been lashed down by human hands into a metal shell that's here to end the world, and did.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

wiegieman posted:

4 and 4A are too fast -- it's a combination of design choice and From just not being that good at controls yet. NEXTs are supposed to feel out of control, like a force of pure destruction that's been lashed down by human hands into a metal shell that's here to end the world, and did.

4 is indeed too fast, the giant robots are even gianter and even faster.

Nat if you fully enjoy playing 6 it might be something to go get a hold of the old generations, even armored core 1 holds up ok... but it has of course playstation 1 controls. It honestly took fromsoft a long time to get controls down.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

To be honest I wouldn't say they have them quite down even now, unadjusted camera distance and / or fov makes extra large bosses a bit of a pain in Elden Ring still and in AC6 we still don't have a manual toggle for autoboost.

I will grant that part of this is because of game controller design, which expects the thumbs to handle a lot of things at once because the sticks were added after the face buttons and D pad and all that legacy gave us the Armored Core Claw where you hold your controller facing away from you to have fingers easily on everything.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 29, 2024

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode number will be corrected in the link shortly!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 29, 2024

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

Episode number will be corrected in the link shortly!

HA = Heavy Artillery
T= Tank Mobility
Model Number is 102.

So the game does ensure you have everything you need to hit the bosses vulnerabilities in the shop beforehand. In this case. The juggernaut is heavily armored in the front but vulnerable to being hit from above, and you get vertical missiles just for this!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well done! I had a very similar experience with the juggernaut - got within an inch of taking it out first try, then got trashed and needed a few more attempts to actually beat it. I think the magic first time round was that you spent most of the fight in the air, and as you noticed, none of its weapons are much good at tracking aerial targets.

When you are locked on to a target in assist mode, touching the right stick breaks lock and looks for a different target, so once you are locked just take your thumb off the stick entirely. Or, if you're on mouse/keyboard like me, tilt or lift the mouse so that it can't register any directional inputs. Yes, I wish they'd change this too.

Also - try replaying just the start of that mission (you can quit anytime without penalty - this is most definitely NOT a souls game). Walk a little forwards from your spawn point and watch the top of the wall for a little surprise that should explain one of the other things that was frustrating you.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

AtomikKrab posted:

HA = Heavy Artillery
T= Tank Mobility
Model Number is 102.

So the game does ensure you have everything you need to hit the bosses vulnerabilities in the shop beforehand. In this case. The juggernaut is heavily armored in the front but vulnerable to being hit from above, and you get vertical missiles just for this!

First attempt I went in with double rifles and absolutely wrecked everything in the city, but didn't have much luck with the boss. Then I tried dual laser pistols + vertical missiles, and very nearly managed to kill the thing outright before Rusty noped out.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Double laser pistols is so fun. You can just skate around a pew pew everything. Only a few missions are bad with them

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I beat most of the game with dual laser pistols, a very lightweight frame, and the 150 energy weapon spec gen. Just zip around quickly chewing down the AP of everything you encounter. Enemy dodges a lot? You're still gonna get a bunch of hits in, just focus on dodging and wear them down!

Only downside is having to constantly tap the triggers, so it does take a small bit of additional mental load.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

^^^^^ What was your choice of back weapon?

The tradeoff is that if you're dual-wielding guns then it means you can't also have a sword yet, and as we've been seeing the sword is just so brutally effective against large enemies that it makes it really worthwhile to take the risk of eating a rocket to the face as you close distance.

I'm really glad that Nat instinctively tried to melee the helicopter in the opening mission, because it's far, far more difficult if you assume you should stick to ranged weapons versus a flying enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

^^^^^ What was your choice of back weapon?

The tradeoff is that if you're dual-wielding guns then it means you can't also have a sword yet, and as we've been seeing the sword is just so brutally effective against large enemies that it makes it really worthwhile to take the risk of eating a rocket to the face as you close distance.

I'm really glad that Nat instinctively tried to melee the helicopter in the opening mission, because it's far, far more difficult if you assume you should stick to ranged weapons versus a flying enemy.

I think for a lot of it I ran plasma missiles, on my final cycle it was dual auroras, especially after the patch that made them benefit from energy weapon spec. I don't recall what my exact load out was to make it all fit on that gen, though.