Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

lol narrowly avoided a slow death spiral (food production/stores slowly dropping) and traded it for another one (gently caress I’M OUT OF COAL). The coal was always lurking in the background, but I didn’t notice it while I was playing with my farms and doing new blueprints for tier 3.

My population is maxed and mostly working already, so I ended up scaling back my remote coal mine and throwing like 5 of my big excavators into a coal quarry on my own island. Paused my tier 3 research lab just to have enough workers to staff a new farm, and my food stores seem to be crawling back upwards now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

My current coal problem is that the deep deposits in the second coal seam for Armageddon are buried under a mountain, which means digging through the fill to get to them, which slows me down.

It does mean there's plenty of rock and dirt around to fill out my land bridges though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I have learned that I should always have massive swaths of dumping designations set for all the rock/dirt I'm digging up all over the island so there's somewhere for it all to go because you sure do dig up a lot of it. This has also helped me keep control of the ore sorters since there's always somewhere to dump the overflow. The nice thing about that particular coal mine is once you do break into the coal it's a looot of just straight up coal. Right now I'm tearing through that whole mine quite expediently but I realized there's way more below the floor level too so it's great.

I am currently in the process of building a huge ramp up to the next iron deposit beside that coal vein as fast as possible before the one you start next to dries out. Because I am quickly approaching that point.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

explosivo posted:

Yeah I have learned that I should always have massive swaths of dumping designations set for all the rock/dirt I'm digging up all over the island so there's somewhere for it all to go because you sure do dig up a lot of it. This has also helped me keep control of the ore sorters since there's always somewhere to dump the overflow. The nice thing about that particular coal mine is once you do break into the coal it's a looot of just straight up coal. Right now I'm tearing through that whole mine quite expediently but I realized there's way more below the floor level too so it's great.

I am currently in the process of building a huge ramp up to the next iron deposit beside that coal vein as fast as possible before the one you start next to dries out. Because I am quickly approaching that point.

The thing is I'm not even talking about dumping it. I've got that problem solved. My land bridges to the other islands are filling out nicely.

I'm talking about when you've got 10-20 layers of dirt and rock on top of the coal seam, each time you dig it out you need to spend excavator time moving the slide rock and dirt out of the way, which means excavator buckets full of 80% rock, 15% dirt, and maybe 5% coal if I'm lucky. I wish I could build proper underground mines instead of every dig site being a strip mine. YSNP didn't have this problem because the iron, copper, and the second coal deposit were all 'surface' level (though your first coal on YSNP in update 1 quickly developed this problem as a large part of it was under the plateau).

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

You can belt it to a stacker and dump it in the sea.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I haven't built a stacker yet, can you move them once the pile gets so high or do you have to tear down/rebuild, or do you just deal with the mound of material some other way before it gets that bad?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

You have to dismantle and move. Mostly I just send an excavator or two to flatten the piles later though. You can limit how high it stacks relative to the top of the stacker, if you want. Something like -12 is the base height iirc.

You can also keep tucks flattening as material gets dumped, if you want.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 25, 2024

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
They're a building, so deconstruct/rebuild. But they're also a Const2 building, and only 10 of that, so it's relatively quick and cheap (other than the usual 2 issue of electronics usually being the bottleneck for const2 as well and the v2 factory complex usually converting 2 to 3 as fast as it can be made.) Additionally, they have blocked output behavior when the pile gets too high under them.

The amount of material they can "hold" is pretty similar to a storage 3, both in raw quantity and in how far you have to extend the belt feeding them to get full value out of putting another one up. If you've got a long (even if narrow) axis on one of the upper plateaus to work with, and need to store say huge quantities of sand/rock/dirt while you uncover a second deposit, you can treat them as basically storage 3s "bought on credit" that you pay for by having to mine out but not sort the dumps rather than just turn on the belt running from them.

Or you can just dump into a mining designation and your trucks will keep cycling it around. Probably best here to have the sorter refuse uniform loads, at which point they'll sit idle until a storage or building elsewhere needs it.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 25, 2024

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Warmachine posted:

The thing is I'm not even talking about dumping it. I've got that problem solved. My land bridges to the other islands are filling out nicely.

I'm talking about when you've got 10-20 layers of dirt and rock on top of the coal seam, each time you dig it out you need to spend excavator time moving the slide rock and dirt out of the way, which means excavator buckets full of 80% rock, 15% dirt, and maybe 5% coal if I'm lucky. I wish I could build proper underground mines instead of every dig site being a strip mine. YSNP didn't have this problem because the iron, copper, and the second coal deposit were all 'surface' level (though your first coal on YSNP in update 1 quickly developed this problem as a large part of it was under the plateau).
Most maps secondary resources or tailing end of the primary resources have a lot of spoils on purpose assuming you are ready for material moving inefficiency.

When you have a lot of spoils you need a little thought into your strip mining. This usually means some or any of:
Assigning certain excavators to ore only
Using multiple mining towers to have a forward area where you dig up first or have dirt/rock specialized excavators and trucks on a fast track to a spoil bank/dumper instead of a sorter
Big loving ore containers everywhere that get loaded up fast when the going is good and dwindle when you're moving dirt

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Never don’t be building more island, that’s my advice. I just built a big rock-and-slag tray in the ocean which I filled up with dirt, to put down more greenhouses, and now I’m filling in a big spit of land next to my mk1 nuclear plant, to set up a 120MW mk2 plant so I can turn the old one off and upgrade it. Thing has been running for two centuries, feels like it deserves a rest.

I’ve got two mines digging out rock for landfill, each has two sorters belted into mk4 storages, and each rock output silo has several dump trucks assigned just to haul the fill material out to the new power plant.

So I’m looking at overflow for production chains, so farms keep churning and I can do stuff like grow sugar and canola on the same greenhouse without backups, and we need something to do with cooking oil other than turn it into Diesel. I’m trying not to need to use any of that poo poo! Let me shred canola for biomass at least, compost -> dirt -> probably bricks is a great way to dispose of a large amount of stuff. As long as you’re preferentially feeding Bricks to replace used construction materials.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I have explored as far as I can go with my current ship upgrades without running into pirates that beat me up. 6 towns, no options to trade sulfur, so I keep building more storage tanks for it.

In the meantime, I'm still at the point where I need to start building plastic and medical bits and circuits, but I keep getting sidetracked and putting out fires and haven't even started. I built a huge new oil facility, only turned on 1/3 of it, and now it's backed up because my fleet conversion to hydrogen means I'm not burning enough diesel and that's backing up. Built more crackers to turn diesel into naptha to make rubber with, and also upgraded all my steel production to the Mark II furnaces and stuff which meant redesigning all the inputs to take crushed ore, but now I can make 96 steel per minute, which will be handy for upgrading all my other smelting I suppose (and my ship when I research whatever is next).

I'm easily keeping up with hydrogen needs for the continuing replacement of trucks, with well over 50% of the pickup trucks upgraded to large hydrogen trucks now, and all the excavators converted.

Sidebar: If the game had a way to feed in infinite fuel and take away infinite materials (like off-map mystery sources/demands) I could probably sink dozens of hours into strip-miner simulator, making fancy ramps and retaining walls and figuring out the best way to make cool looking ramps into the depths of the earth for the coal and completely ignoring the rest of the game. lol.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Don't forget you can throw sulphur in the burner if you have to just get rid of it. It's nasty for pollution - you're much better off neutralising it with limestone - but you don't have to deal with it just backing up forever.

Also don't forget you can make rubber from diesel. You'll get more out of that than cracking it into naphtha first, unless you really want the sour water for ammonia.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Tenebrais posted:

Don't forget you can throw sulphur in the burner if you have to just get rid of it. It's nasty for pollution - you're much better off neutralising it with limestone - but you don't have to deal with it just backing up forever.

Also don't forget you can make rubber from diesel. You'll get more out of that than cracking it into naphtha first, unless you really want the sour water for ammonia.

Yup, but I'm trying to consume more diesel, and using Naptha uses more diesel. I turn the sour water into ammonia which I electrolyze into Hydrogen for my truck fleet, although that's pretty much full now also.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Locator posted:

I have explored as far as I can go with my current ship upgrades without running into pirates that beat me up. 6 towns, no options to trade sulfur, so I keep building more storage tanks for it.

In the meantime, I'm still at the point where I need to start building plastic and medical bits and circuits, but I keep getting sidetracked and putting out fires and haven't even started. I built a huge new oil facility, only turned on 1/3 of it, and now it's backed up because my fleet conversion to hydrogen means I'm not burning enough diesel and that's backing up. Built more crackers to turn diesel into naptha to make rubber with, and also upgraded all my steel production to the Mark II furnaces and stuff which meant redesigning all the inputs to take crushed ore, but now I can make 96 steel per minute, which will be handy for upgrading all my other smelting I suppose (and my ship when I research whatever is next).

I'm easily keeping up with hydrogen needs for the continuing replacement of trucks, with well over 50% of the pickup trucks upgraded to large hydrogen trucks now, and all the excavators converted.

Sidebar: If the game had a way to feed in infinite fuel and take away infinite materials (like off-map mystery sources/demands) I could probably sink dozens of hours into strip-miner simulator, making fancy ramps and retaining walls and figuring out the best way to make cool looking ramps into the depths of the earth for the coal and completely ignoring the rest of the game. lol.

I'm in a similar position in that I've hit a blocker (gold, it's in an awkward spot on Armageddon), but I'm also a bit choice paralyzed.

I want to build a proper desalination plant because I'm riding the razors edge of water equilibrium, but the spot I'm preparing for it needs some land fill work and that delays my gold extraction.
I need to rebalance food production and get protein and treats on the menu, but food production is my least favorite line to solve in CoI because of how the food consumption calculations are done.
I need to pay back the technical debt I accrued using a pre-built refinery and make one with higher capacity that will give me the balance of resources I want, but that's :effort:
My mine assignments could use rebalancing as well as I can now put megas in all of those, but I'm hesitant on messing with the current diesel consumption equilibrium before redoing the refinery.

Instead I'm just watching my little ant farm do its thing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Warmachine posted:

I'm in a similar position in that I've hit a blocker (gold, it's in an awkward spot on Armageddon), but I'm also a bit choice paralyzed.

I want to build a proper desalination plant because I'm riding the razors edge of water equilibrium, but the spot I'm preparing for it needs some land fill work and that delays my gold extraction.
I need to rebalance food production and get protein and treats on the menu, but food production is my least favorite line to solve in CoI because of how the food consumption calculations are done.
I need to pay back the technical debt I accrued using a pre-built refinery and make one with higher capacity that will give me the balance of resources I want, but that's :effort:
My mine assignments could use rebalancing as well as I can now put megas in all of those, but I'm hesitant on messing with the current diesel consumption equilibrium before redoing the refinery.

Instead I'm just watching my little ant farm do its thing.

I feel ya man. I just quite the game in middle of a cascading power failure/water failure that is a looping issue where the power failure led to the water failure and I'm pretty sure the 'escape route' at this point is to fire up about 5 more large diesel generators (because hey, I've got ridiculous amounts of diesel).

The root cause is me switching over everything to hydrogen, but failing to account for how much diesel would pile up, causing a gas generator to run out of fuel (naptha) which then caused the water failures to start. This was compounded by a piping error I didn't notice when putting exhaust scrubbing into my combo power/water desalination plant, which dropped 4 desalinators from production which I didn't notice until far too late. At the same time I was putting more desalination online on the other side of the map to feed gas injectors to get rid of CO2. Basically a lot of things piled up at once. Oh yeah, and my steel production completely cratered because I thought I would get fancy with advanced logistics, but I clearly don't understand it because what actually happened was my buckets of dirt and rock backed up the sorter and yeah.. no steel!

I just wanted clean air for my residents man! Instead they are all gonna starve to death because my farms aren't getting irrigated.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
So i may have taken out a substantial red building parts loan to build a nuke refinery and now i cant pay ot back.

Is there a way to declare bankruptcy? Whats the penalty for not paying a loan back?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Making regular payments slowly adds to your island’s credit score, decreasing the interest you pay on future loans, and I’m pretty sure that unlike US credit bureaus IRL paying down loans early gives you a bigger boost.

Missing them lowers it, and I’m pretty sure that’s the whole deal. The IMF isn’t going to invade your island or anything for some red parts.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
So I think the most fun of this game for me is a bit like timberthorn where compact builds are needed and I loved the diorama map the most.

After getting to tier 4 construction on Armageddon I realized I’ll likely never use even half the land space available and had the most fun designing compact factories.

So obviously, i’ve restarted on Gold Peak.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 26, 2024

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I’m about to start using Gold Ore as fill, on Gold Peak. Nobody in CoI needs all of this gold, and I need land a lot more.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Make sure you also pave your island in gold while you're at it!

Or is that supporter pack only?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Make sure you also pave your island in gold while you're at it!

Or is that supporter pack only?

I think it's base game with surfaces.

8 gold per tile.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yup, and I figure the 8 gold/tile is a good way to use up maybe a whole 0.5% of Golden Peak.

I was just wondering because the option to coat your statue(s) of maintenance in gold is only a supporter pack thing.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Having typed a lot about how total hydrogen conversion would probably bottleneck on full diesel stores, I then proceeded to... get amped up converting to hydrogen and bottleneck on full diesel stores. The spaghetti-complex grows to use only naphtha for its steam, instead of saving it for plastics production, and then crack diesel down for that.

About to hit the maintenance 2 transition and I think I need to take a solid century and just finish raising Trash Beach and lowering the plateau that theoretically has copper at one end and iron at the other, then completely redo my production chains. Except recycling is also deadlocked on just way more glass than I have a use for.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mandoric posted:

Having typed a lot about how total hydrogen conversion would probably bottleneck on full diesel stores, I then proceeded to... get amped up converting to hydrogen and bottleneck on full diesel stores. The spaghetti-complex grows to use only naphtha for its steam, instead of saving it for plastics production, and then crack diesel down for that.

About to hit the maintenance 2 transition and I think I need to take a solid century and just finish raising Trash Beach and lowering the plateau that theoretically has copper at one end and iron at the other, then completely redo my production chains. Except recycling is also deadlocked on just way more glass than I have a use for.

My rule, as it were, for refineries is to always crack overflow downwards. Can this thing back up and clog the system? Crack it. Eventually you hit hydrogen and can just burn it off if you can't use it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think some kind of self imposed challenge rule like “build everything as close together as possible “ might be interesting as mentioned above

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

euphronius posted:

I think some kind of self imposed challenge rule like “build everything as close together as possible “ might be interesting as mentioned above

There is a map called "You shall not pass" I think, that JD Plays is currently doing a series on that sort of forces you to figure out at least the early part of the game with very limited space.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Kind of the same with The Crater.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

euphronius posted:

This is part of what makes Dyson Sphere Program fun for me. Sure, I could use the entire planet, or I could try to design something to do the same thing with a minimal footprint.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m going to try a limited space start

Good idea

(And I’m not going to mod truck sizes bigger )

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

You Shall Not Pass is a good time, there are several good spots for you to just excavate a fuckhuge pit to fill out the edges you’re going to need and then you can just build a piler out over the edge and belt all your slag there forever. My first embark that got past a century was there.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I can't tell if the microchip production line being designed so you send the same chip through the machine multiple times really adds anything to the logistics challenge, but it is kind of hypnotic.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

I can't tell if the microchip production line being designed so you send the same chip through the machine multiple times really adds anything to the logistics challenge, but it is kind of hypnotic.

It's Teraflop management. When you first unlock them, you're running on vacuum tube and tape drive mainframes, so you can only run a handful of them. As you get more computing power, you can run a few more and scale up. Once you hit 12 machines, they're running at 'full speed' and able to give you the listed microchip output. Whether it's 12 single machines looping, one long line of twelve, or any other subdivision of them.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Honestly? It's working out. There's "enough" space.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I am too dumb to mine iron. How does it work? I get only like 1 or 2 ore per month, most of it is dirt and rock instead.

What do the red bars even mean?

Do I need to dig up or down or what?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Higher red bars means it’s closer to the surface. If the grey bar is taller than the red, you’re going to have to dig down.

That said, starting into a cliff side is my usual method of getting iron. You’ll get some dirt/stone on the beginning, but you’ll be into that sweet sweet pure iron ore sooner or later.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

I am too dumb to mine iron. How does it work? I get only like 1 or 2 ore per month, most of it is dirt and rock instead.

What do the red bars even mean?

Do I need to dig up or down or what?

Those bars are a visualisation of what's under the ground. The grey pips on top show that there is a layer of so much rock, and the red is layers of iron ore.
Once you've dug up the dirt and rock you'll be getting a lot more iron. Not entirely iron because the rock layers on adjacent tiles will start falling in, but a lot more than you're getting at the start.

It might also help to click your excavators and tell them to prioritise iron ore mining, so they'll focus on it once there's an exposed patch. I forget if you need to unlock one of the logistics techs to do that or not.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks, this helps. Situation was getting a bit bad without iron & construction materials. Next I need to figure out how to get more diesel, and how to do crop rotation.. and level some ground for more farms maybe. So much stuff in this game!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How do you feed 3 mats to an assembler? Some kind of balancer/sorter setup?

E: or just a 3 level belt setup?

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 28, 2024

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

How do you feed 3 mats to an assembler? Some kind of balancer/sorter setup?

Spaghetti, especially if you’re doing it to more than 1 assembler at a time! :getin:

e: pic of mine, using the conveyor lifters.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I have a blueprint saved for a tillable three-level flat belt feed system actually, it looks basically like that poster’s.