Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

ADAM COLE CAN WALK????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

ADAM COLE CAN WALK????

Yeah, I thought he'd break his leg doing that

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

Majinfoose posted:

Yeah, I thought he'd break his leg doing that

I was doing the old Joseph Joestar eyes at Adam Cole looking for any sign of weakness. Good for him if he has healed.

I'm glad Excalibur starts the Toni vs Thunder match talking about a hockey fight. You can tell he's spent some time in Gatineau with Evil Uno eating All Dressed ruffles.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HIDINGFROMTHETHREADASIWATCHTHESHOWLATEBUTOKADAFLIPPINGOFFTHECROWDONTHERAINMAKERPOSEFAKEOUTWASAMAZINGSEEYAALLIN4HOURS!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Jerusalem posted:

HIDINGFROMTHETHREADASIWATCHTHESHOWLATEBUTOKADAFLIPPINGOFFTHECROWDONTHERAINMAKERPOSEFAKEOUTWASAMAZINGSEEYAALLIN4HOURS!

You're gonna have a great time.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

bryan and will had a pretty good match

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God the THAT'S THE KNEE THAT BEAT JOHN CENA counter to the Oz Cutter :stonklol:

AND THEN THEY WENT FULL ANIME AND DID THEIR BEST MOVES AT EACH OTHER SIMULTANEOUSLY! :supaburn:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I can't believe that Sting was Jack Perry all this time :pusheen:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Dynasty Time!

INTERCONTINENTAL TITLE: OKADA (c) vs PAC

Oh... great. JR is on commentary from the start. Why, Tony? I'll also be honest, I somehow misread "Kazuchika Okada" as "Katsuyori Shibata" on the prediction game sheet and figured "yeah, of course Pac is gonna take the belt off the guy who's in Japan half the time, it makes perfect sense". So, you know. I'm not a clever man.

Every time I see Pac wrestle, I am surprised over and over again by how incredibly quick and snappy he is, especially for someone who is just absolutely yoked. Right at the start of the match there was a moment where Okada had Pac in a wrist lock and was turning his wrist, and Pac just did a lighting quick standing somersault to get out of it and I was like oh yeah: Pac. Pac owns.

The match? I'm surprised by how much time they got. Initially the match felt quite slow especially for the opener, and it felt like they were losing the crowd. But then they started slowly ramping things up and by the time they were hitting deadlift Germans (complete with some excellent, gif-worthy facial acting from Okada) and Black Arrows, the crowd was constantly popping like crazy.

Overall I expected maybe a quicker and more aggressive spring from the first meeting between the guys, but I'm glad we got this match instead. I'm also impressed by Okada's heeling. He came out to a monster pop and initially was getting plenty of cheers because he's just too drat handsome and likeable and cool to hate, but he managed to get the crowd booing him with some A+ old school heeling. Well done!

Despite me initially being like "there's no loving way they'll have Okada drop it so soon" the guys had me biting hard multiple times. Great match, really good opener.

:siren: MOTYC :siren:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

JR rocked every time he was out there. Show him some respect. :mad:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What a great main event and a great show. Goddamn.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

JR rocked every time he was out there. Show him some respect. :mad:

He was starting to win me over when he dropped his unbelievably lovely and dumb Vince takes and after that he can gently caress off and stay there.

Anyway,

Match 2: HOUSE OF BLACK vs HOUSE OF COPE

Hey yay, JR's gone! Sadly only temporarily.

No man, gently caress it. Forget non-skeleton divisions and all that, there just isn't a cooler group in all of pro wrestling than House of Black and it kills me that we don't see them more often. Or winning. And of course they're wrestling just about the only guy who I just can't root against, Eddie Kingston.

Anyway, this match was exactly what it was always going to be: the standard AEW three man clusterfuck. But I'm saying that in a good way! There's a reason we were all so happy when they introduced trios titles, right until those were lost in the Billy Gunn Badlands! Lots of fun, inventive spots (I loved when Buddy kicked Mark Briscoe, who just collapsed right on Brody King's shoulders so he could be death valley drivered into the barrier), everyone had a chance to look good and get their poo poo in, good stuff.

Also Cope got misted! Will he now become a spooky satanist, or is he too Canadian for it to have any effect?

Fun match, probably really good live.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

happy pape day! had a dream i watched the greatest aew show of all time. not sure dynasty can live up that kind of hype but we’ll see

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Match 3: Julia Hart(c) vs Willow Nightingale for the TBS Championship

Yay, Stokely on the comms!

Yay, Willow! Match itself was OK. Felt a bit awkward throughout, and didn't really ever get fully going, but neat spots and nothing bad. Would've been nice to have the match get more time to develop and breathe, this felt more like a Rampage sprint than a proper PPV match.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Dynasty Time!

INTERCONTINENTAL TITLE: OKADA (c) vs PAC

It should be fun to revisit this post here in a bit.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Match 4: Roddy Strong(c) vs Kyle O'Reilly for the Intercontinental Championship

I'll be honest. It's just impossible for me to give a single rat's rear end about Roddy Strong or his posse, but I loving love Kyle in all his awkward glory. So I will riot if (when) he doesn't win the title.

Now, I will add that even though Roddy and his boys are about as interesting as store brand fake vanilla ice cream as characters, the man is NOT a bad wrestler. Right from the start this match was solid as hell. Lots of neat spots! I loved Roddy running the ropes and elbowing Kyle in the face every time he passed, I loved Kyle see-sawing off the ropes to counter Roddy's incoming clothesline with one of his own! Just classic wrestling stuff!

What was less classic was the super weird micing for this match. Not only could I vaguely hear the wrestlers talking during rest holds, but also the constant super loud gasping and heavy breathing gave the match a weird retro Greasy Kyle vibe, albeit unintentionally.

Disappointing and weird finish. First Wardlow comes down to interfere, but then doesn't actually do anything beyond almost stepping into the ring. And then Roddy just beats Kyle clean. Obviously you'd expect that this story will continue, but the heel just beating the face clean in the middle of the ring is a weird place to leave it in especially considering the storyline going in to this match was "is Kyle good enough to stand on his own, having recovered from a career-threatening injury".

I guess the answer is "no" :confused:

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 22, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Match 5: Hook(c) vs Chris Jericho for the FTW Title

Please, Hook. Escape the Jerichoverse.

OK, look, I immensely respect Jericho for the career he's had. He was one of my first favourite wrestlers, and he was able to have a great run in AEW as well. But it feels like over this past year his age has started catching up to him hard, and he's starting to look and move like his age and weight again. It's not pretty.

From that perspective he's a bit of an awkward match for Hook, who clearly had some difficulty suplexing Jericho around. When you take away the snappy suplexes and throws, you take away a lot of what makes Hook's matches work, and some very mild hardcore stuff didn't make up for it. I'm sure the match was fun live, and there were some cool spots (like Hook t-bone suplexing Jericho while he was half in that trashcan) but overall this match was just slow, clunky and ugly.

And they loving gave the shambling corpse of Chris Jericho the FTW title, so naturally yet another Chris Jericho feud drags on and on and on and on without elevating anyone.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Match 6: Timeless Toni Storm(c) vs Thunder Rosa for the AEW Women's Championship

I will go on record saying I dislike Thunder Rosa's new theme and wish she'd go back to the old Sepultura-sounding one.

"When she wins the title, it will certainly be 'a Whole New World' for her". Dear god, Nigel. That was amazingly awful.

Man, it's good to have Thunder Rosa back. She's great in the ring! Toni can also go, and as a result we had probably the best title defence of her ring. Yeah, a couple of spots were a bit awkward, but show me a match (not involving Bryan Danielson) where that isn't the case. There was real vim and vigour on display, and both wrestlers were really going for it.

Overall good match!

And oh my god, "if Eddie Kingston is the king of the bums, then Toni Storm is the queen of the bums". Nigel was on shameful fire tonight!

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

final count: 12 beers

How ya feelin???

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Match 7: Danielson vs Ospreay

Oh
My
God

MOTYC

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'll just say that I absolutely LOVED that the match ultimately came down to the old samurai duel where both guys run at each other and strike, and one of them stays down while the other gets up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Match 7: Danielson vs Ospreay

Oh
My
God

MOTYC

Hell yeah :hfive:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Match 8: FTR vs Young Bucks

Ah yes, time for the old "well I'd love to see anyone follow THAT up -> they follow that up", as featured on countless AEW PPVs.

It really is a testament to the embarrassment of riches we're feasting on that an incredible ladder match like this is not the MOTN. Both teams busted their rear end and put on an amazing match. So god drat good, even though I'm not super jazzed that it's the Young Bucks once again. But hell, if they keep on putting matches like this, it's not like I can complain too much?

I really hope everyone came through that match OK, because some of those spots were inches away from going EXTREMELY WRONG for everyone involved.

And oh look, it's Jungle Boy to poo poo on my predictions :argh:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Im surprised how back loaded the card was.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Match 9: Samoa Joe(c) vs Swerve Strickland for the AEW Title

First: Swerve's Black Panther outfit? Owns so hard.

Gonna be honest: my phone spoiled the ending of the match for me first thing this morning, because it delivered a notification about the new champion for me when I tried to turn off my alarm. So thanks, phone!

With this in mind it definitely says a lot about how good both of these guys are that they were able to get me invested in the match. I am extremely glad Joe got to have a title run in AEW, because he clearly and definitively showed the world that he can still go, put on 5 star matches and carry the title, lord knows how many years after the WWE decided the best he could be was a commentator.

The thing I really loved was that the match story was how both guys had each other scouted out really well. Joe still knows the ultimate cheat code of "just walk the gently caress away", but Swerve had figured out the counter for THAT: just hit him again while he's gloating. Awesome! And the only reason that story could work was that they'd built Joe up to be a loving monster in AEW who could put you away in seconds if you gave him the opportunity.

Really good match, despite me being completely exhausted by this point. And god drat it's good to see Swerve win the title.

HM

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Jonny Nox posted:

My second favorite TK answer tonight was "I showed the backstage footage to explain where Jack Perry's been since All In. No other reason."

It’s called storytelling.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

a dumb moron posted:

How ya feelin???

I literally don't get hangovers so I'm fine bud lmao

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I have only blacked out once and didn't wake up with a hangover. I don't drink very often though. Id rather buy a giant pizza if I'm gonna have something with too many calories that is unhealthy for me

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Match 9: Samoa Joe(c) vs Swerve Strickland for the AEW Title

First: Swerve's Black Panther outfit? Owns so hard.

Killmonger, the much more interesting villain of that movie

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The337th posted:

Killmonger, the much more interesting villain of that movie

Holy poo poo, so it was. It's been too long since I've seen Black Panther.

Still owned though.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Holy poo poo, so it was. It's been too long since I've seen Black Panther.

Still owned though.

Yeah in the scrum he actually talked about choosing that costume because "I wasn't handed a title, I came here to take it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah in the scrum he actually talked about choosing that costume because "I wasn't handed a title, I came here to take it."

Oh man, just when I thought I couldn't love him any more :allears: