Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
But Who? WHO!?
Cowboys
Giants
Eagles
Washington Football Team
gently caress it, 4-way 8-8-1 tie no survivors
View Results

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Add this to the OP

gently caress the Cowboys.

Hail Clownball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
So Dak puts up good garbage time stats against prevent defenses where the Cowboys still lose in the end? Got it. He’s Blake Bortles without the benefit of a funny name/The Good Place jokes.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Levitate posted:

Didn’t RG3 have trouble with progressions at the NFL level and would scramble if the first read or two weren’t open?

Yes. RG3's rookie season was as successful as it was in part because of his athleticism, which is what most people focus on because he got hurt at the end of the year, but it was also greatly helped by Washington running one of the first true option offenses in the NFL. Some people may remember that in the preseason that year, Mike Shanahan had them running the most vanilla version of his offense that was basically all plays he'd run in Denver in the mid-90s, then suddenly on opening day it was all options and other stuff which hadn't been seen. Other teams at the time had no idea how to defend the QB read stuff, as basically nobody else was doing it*, and it was giving Griffin some pretty clear and easy looks. He was mostly being asked to read one or two guys on one half of the field, if they weren't there he'd take off, and defenses were frequently utterly confused by it all. It also is worth mentioning RG3 was an absolutely reckless runner, who never made much of an effort to protect himself, so he was regularly getting blown up on big kill shots and IIRC missed time with a concussion that season, so at the time lots of people were expecting him to get hurt, it was just expected to be from some linebacker or safety, not the lovely turf at his home field.

Fast forward to after his rookie season, where he probably wasn't fully healed and may have lost some confidence in his running ability, and he simply couldn't execute the offense correctly. Washington had begun to switch to a bit more conventional offense, less focused on the read stuff as teams were steadily becoming more capable of defending it and also not wanting to get Griffin murdered. There were tons of breakdowns of this going around at the time. Here is one random one I grabbed by Chris Cooley, which includes pictures showing the reads and whatnot, where he had open guys and either threw bad picks or took sacks. There was another, which you can see here, where he had all five receiving options wide open:

Literally no defenders within 5 yards of any of them, and a clean pocket... where he scrambled and IIRC ended up taking a sack.

*Carolina had started some of it the year before in 2011 with Cam Newton, but his unique physicality was a different style than RG3. Denver had done some with Tebow the year before as well, but Tebow was hardly a passing threat. During RG3's rookie season in 2012, Seattle would begin to incorporate some themselves with Russell Wilson, and mid-season, San Francisco would also use it to great effect once Colin Kaepernick became the starter.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Mr. Nice! posted:

so washington drafted a qb, giants a wide receiver, eagles a cornerback, and dallas an offensive tackle?

I'm more wanting goonalysis of things than what espn says. I need to know my appropriate level of outrage on the successful picks of my opponents and the terribleness of my own team's picks.

Washington: QB whose draft comparison on NFLN was RG3, so knowing their field, it will destroy him too.
Giants: WR but their QB room is still Danny Dimes, 🤌Tommy Cutlets🤌, and Drew Lock, so does it really matter?
Eagles: A good DB apparently because the insane early run on offense?
Cowboys: gently caress the Cowboys

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

blarzgh posted:

Good luck to all the teams taking their ~2% chance they drafted a QB as good as Dak

~2% chance being the same odds Dak has of winning if the Cowboys trail at any point

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Black Lighter posted:

The Cardinals are about twenty years overdue

The Cardinals only won the old NFC East twice, when they were in St. Louis back in the 70s and coached by Don Coryell.

So, if a zombie Don Coryell comes back and drags them to St. Louis… he’ll devise some awesome passing plays to get Marvin Harrison Jr open and they’ll win the division.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Febreeze posted:

I mean, it's him or Drew Lock, so yeah

How can you forget :italy: Tommy Cutlets?!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
January 2025 - Wildcard Game

5th seeded Dallas faces 4th and 8 from Tampa’s 11 yard line with barely a minute left, trailing 17-13 with no timeouts. Mike McCarthy looks at his play sheet, flips it over, and one jumps out to him. They haven’t practiced it since October, but he believes the players can execute it, that it will catch the Buccaneers off guard, and he knows that if it works, Jerry will love it. Jerry had been asking for it for weeks. Fat Mike reads the play into the headset.

Dak does a double take, as do several of the assistant coaches who hear it. Mike nods on the sideline. Dak pauses, thinks of changing the play, but will run what the sideline sent in.

He lines up under center, “Hey! Here we go…” he groans and receives the snap, turning and pitching the ball to Zeke, seemingly running a sweep to the wide side.

But Ezekiel Elliot isn’t running a sweep. He slows slightly, adjusts the ball in his hand, and attempts to throw to CeeDee, who slipped out from the far side of the formation and is running a crossing route.

“Oh, the halfback option!” Jim Nantz exclaims in the booth. Tony Romo makes his own incoherent noises.

The ball floats into the air, wobbles in to the end zone, not even close to Lamb but instead to an area where 4 defenders await. Antoine Winfield Jr easily intercepts it. They’ll kneel the clock out. In the visiting owners booth, Jerry went from ecstatic to infuriated in less time than it takes for him to harvest a human soul. Elsewhere, Stephen A. Smith’s laughing can be heard for miles. The GDT has a dozen new pages of posts almost instantly as every laughing emote possible is posted, along with classics such as million dicks per second, and the eternal “gently caress the Cowboys” posts.

Somewhere out on a dusty trail, well away from any TV or radio, the man known as Big Bob Pataki has a wry smile cross his face. Instinctively, he knows something glorious just happens. He resumes cooking his bacon.

And so it shall be that Zeke’s final play as a Cowboy will be him throwing an interception.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

davecrazy posted:

Dak...winning??

As Daniel Jones Tommy DeVito’s backup

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/EliManning/status/1787478294754967819

I will always love you, Eli Manning

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Foles’ faces in the 6th and 8th panels will always kill me

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
lol Giants gonna be Hard Knocks this year

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

fsif posted:

They broke their "Super Bowl winner hosts the first game of the season" rule to feature the boring rear end Packers/Bears matchup as its kickoff game for the Bears' 100th year anniversary. Can absolutely see them featuring the big market teams as its SNF kickoff for similar reasons.

That wasn't just the Bears 100th anniversary, it was the entire NFL's 100th season thing, so they wanted two of the oldest teams that weren't the Cardinals because lol, and also because New England had hosted enough Thursday night openers and gently caress them.

blarzgh posted:

There's special rules about hard knocks where teams that were in the playoffs or had a certain record or something can decline to participate, so it always winds up being lovely teams or the Cowboys who's owners don't give a gently caress about winning in the face of more attention

Any team can volunteer to be on, which is why the Cowboys and Bengals have done it multiple times. The option of the league selecting a team and making them appear without volunteering was added about a decade ago, after the second Bengals stint, since so few teams were volunteering.

The old criteria was that teams were exempt from being forced if they already appeared within the previous 10 years, have a first-year head coach, or made the playoffs in either of the previous two seasons. The Giants actually meet the last criteria, since they got in the playoffs in 2022 so either the NFL changed the rules on who can be forced to appear, or the Giants volunteered. Given the Giants are gonna make this whole 100th season celebration, it wouldn't shock me if they agreed to do it as part of that.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

indigi posted:

1pm games are so much better than prime time

Counterpoint: Primetime is where the Clowniest of Clownball happens

Black Sunshine posted:

Having a bunch of 1pm games is great because I love watching Scott Hanson going off in a jam packed witching hour

:hmmyes: