Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

Do private universities like Columbia even receive federal funding? I thought they were funded solely through tuition/ donation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

VideoKid posted:

Do private universities like Columbia even receive federal funding? I thought they were funded solely through tuition/ donation.

grants etc

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

VideoKid posted:

they do a ton of projects with the military and receive federal grants for research such as through the nih.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I guess if that's not a police sniper then it would be okay to aim green or blue lasers at them?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Speleothing posted:

I guess if that's not a police sniper then it would be okay to aim green or blue lasers at them?

DO NOT TARGET THE WATCHERS

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/jes1003/status/1783812335305449544

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

we need 3rd party snipers to keep watch on both the police and protestors to ensure a fair and safe environment

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

owns

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

sniper is probably the wrong term. much like the way that local pds get excess military hardware, the feds are giving local campus police departments the surplus stephen paddocks they dont have a use for

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.
I guess the people that pay 250k to send their kid to USC are also the people that would call in the LAPD and cancel their kids graduation rather than allow the show of any dissent

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

sniper is probably the wrong term. much like the way that local pds get excess military hardware, the feds are giving local campus police departments the surplus stephen paddocks they dont have a use for

personally i think if you have a sniper rifle and are in a position to snipe then you are a sniper but who am i to judge

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

RedQueen posted:

I guess the people that pay 250k to send their kid to USC are also the people that would call in the LAPD and cancel their kids graduation rather than allow the show of any dissent

Lmfao gently caress no. If I paid that much tuition I don't give a gently caress if every kid in that graduating class is a Genuine Grade A Hitler, I want my show! I want to see my baby walk. If even rich people are fine with their kids being beat at the request of a foreign government then our ruling class is truly washed.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

There was actually some reason, I forget what exactly, for the legal fiction of a police marksman as opposed to sniper, I think going back to the 60's.

I think it had to do with the language needing to at least giving the impression that the police exist to protect, and at worst intend to arrest, people, rather than just having officers whose sole job is to kill people, without attempting an arrest. I'd have to look it up but I think it was how those Phoenix Program veterans in LAPD were able to get SWAT signed off on, since originally the whole concept was concerned inappropriate-to-illegal.

I realize that obviously, it doesn't really matter, but liberalism operates in these mandarin legalisms, and there was a lot more resistance to this in the 1960's, even by establishment squares.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I don't think these university admins are at all spooked by the students protesting but they are clearly super spooked by some key donors and political pressure.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KirbyKhan posted:

Lmfao gently caress no. If I paid that much tuition I don't give a gently caress if every kid in that graduating class is a Genuine Grade A Hitler, I want my show! I want to see my baby walk. If even rich people are fine with their kids being beat at the request of a foreign government then our ruling class is truly washed.

USC and Texas are prestigious schools that attract their fair share of future failchidlren elites but I don't think those are the same kids as the ones being beat. Probably some overlap though given how widespread and overbearing the beatings have already been.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

They are definitely not fine with it, is the problem for Israel. They're asking us to disrupt the generational process of bourgeois reproduction so they can build settlements in Gaza. The American ruling class doesn't do self sacrifice.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

quiggy posted:

personally i think if you have a sniper rifle and are in a position to snipe then you are a sniper but who am i to judge

no you don’t understand, this person has no sniper training so that’s somehow better.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The Met, which created the professional constabulary, had a Rifle Squad, but they were trained to shoot to wound, which I think was how this sort of police sharpshooter thing was conceptualized in most of the English speaking world until, well, Vietnam.

It's just funny how quickly and easily we sped from "No constable should have to use his truncheon", to "No constable should have to carry a pistol", to "No constable should have to carry a rifle", to "No constable should have to carry a rifle, but we have them locked up in the station", to "No constable should have to carry a rifle, but we have them in the trunk of some cruisers", to "No constable should have to carry a rifle, but all cruisers have one in the trunk", to "Of course we have HSLD teams that wear balaclavas to hide their faces from the public, and are rocking rifles and Multicam exclusively".

I mean, obviously not a revelation for this thread, but none of this has made people safer. In the case of Texas, I mean Uvalde is right there. Functionally there was no difference between BORTAC (the Border Patrol's Tier Two Team [wtf???]) being on the scene and if there had been a Bobby with a stout .455 revolver, other than I would hope the Bobby would actually go into the building.

It's not novel to notice the militarization of police, it's just that, even surface level, they don't seem like their job performance has improved.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
he might not even hit the same protestor he’s aiming at so you can’t really call him a sniper

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The Met, which created the professional constabulary, had a Rifle Squad, but they were trained to shoot to wound, which I think was how this sort of police sharpshooter thing was conceptualized in most of the English speaking world until, well, Vietnam.

it is so awesome that Americans have been trained to believe "shoot to kill" is safe and logical and say it's irresponsible to shoot someone without killing them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

VideoKid posted:

They're also a nonprofit and pay 0 taxes while being the largest landowner/landlord in NYC. So there's way the feds could gently caress with their money.

Hell theres a bill in the state assembly to revoke nonprofit status for Columbia and NYU that could be supported by the right wing now out of spite which would be fun y.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

it is so awesome that Americans have been trained to believe "shoot to kill" is safe and logical and say it's irresponsible to shoot someone without killing them

as a non gun having american in a state where guns are not a visible part of life it was very weird going online in the 2000's and finding out what other americans think about guns

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Real hurthling! posted:

if these colleges are kicking kids out of dorms is that illegal eviction or do students have no tenant's rights?

nobody has tenants' rights dude

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

mawarannahr posted:

it's supposed to mean you don't shoot at all, unless killing the person is actually the justifiable goal. and, that was supposed to mean that generally you don't shoot but here we are

it should be a sound concept but this country is filled with bloodthirsty psychopaths

Anthony Balogna
Dec 19, 2023

titty_baby_ posted:

we need 3rd party snipers to keep watch on both the police and protestors to ensure a fair and safe environment

Free Market Independent-Sniper Review

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

it's supposed to mean you don't shoot at all, unless killing the person is actually the justifiable goal. and, that was supposed to mean that generally you don't shoot but here we are

it should be a sound concept but this country is filled with bloodthirsty psychopaths

Yeah, you nailed it.

I was reading that even in the fabled Wild West, despite the popular memory of famous gunfights, most lawmen didn’t draw their guns in their careers (presumably not counting on Native Americans), so did this all start in the 1950’s or something, and if so, why?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Yeah, you nailed it.

I was reading that even in the fabled Wild West, despite the popular memory of famous gunfights, most lawmen didn’t draw their guns in their careers (presumably not counting on Native Americans), so did this all start in the 1950’s or something, and if so, why?
It's good for tv.

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

It started in a rough sense during antebellum, pig didn't need to draw their gun to kill black people, and as the original purpose of "police" at this point were slave catchers, they had become obsolete and entered a phase of reinvention. Then in the early 20th century when the Mafia got out to Los Angeles the lapd made incredible strides in the science of extrajudicially killing them, and those methods were then turned on black people en masse, there and elsewhere. That's my brief rough read of it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

how many of these PDs are trained by IDF/people trained by IDF?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

It started in a rough sense during antebellum, pig didn't need to draw their gun to kill black people, and as the original purpose of "police" at this point were slave catchers, they had become obsolete and entered a phase of reinvention. Then in the early 20th century when the Mafia got out to Los Angeles the lapd made incredible strides in the science of extrajudicially killing them, and those methods were then turned on black people en masse, there and elsewhere. That's my brief rough read of it.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks.

The FBI started using machine guns and stuff in the 30’s, didn’t they? There was that wave of people like Dillinger and Bonnie and Clyde, and it seems like the FBI’s intention was always to kill them.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

peacefully observing through the scope of a high-powered rifle

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.statesman.com/story/new...ed/73468467007/
All charges have been declined against the 57 people arrested in connection to the Wednesday pro-Palestinian protest at the University of Texas.

The Travis County attorney's office said all 57 arrests, which were all criminal trespassing charges, lacked probable cause.

[...]

Although the charges have been dropped, it's possible that police could decide to fill out more probable cause affidavits and press charges against those arrested, George Lobb, an attorney with the Austin Lawyers Guild, told the Statesman. Police have two years to bring charges against those they arrested under Texas' statute of limitations for misdemeanors.

Stephanie Jacksis, spokesperson for the University of Texas Police Department, said she's uncertain if UT police intend to do that.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Malloc Voidstar posted:

https://www.statesman.com/story/new...ed/73468467007/
All charges have been declined against the 57 people arrested in connection to the Wednesday pro-Palestinian protest at the University of Texas.

The Travis County attorney's office said all 57 arrests, which were all criminal trespassing charges, lacked probable cause.

[...]

Although the charges have been dropped, it's possible that police could decide to fill out more probable cause affidavits and press charges against those arrested, George Lobb, an attorney with the Austin Lawyers Guild, told the Statesman. Police have two years to bring charges against those they arrested under Texas' statute of limitations for misdemeanors.

Stephanie Jacksis, spokesperson for the University of Texas Police Department, said she's uncertain if UT police intend to do that.

Two years to come up with more fake charges. That's so cool

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the worst part
https://twitter.com/a_newsman/status/1783833526200311860

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1783624665476288842

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Glenn's right as usual.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

If I could improve Glenn greenwald in just one way, I'd teach him that "I support free speech" is just words any dumbass can say and not mean at all.

That covers like 80% of his bad opinions.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

ikanreed posted:

If I could improve Glenn greenwald in just one way, I'd teach him that "I support free speech" is just words any dumbass can say and not mean at all.

That covers like 80% of his bad opinions.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

DaysBefore posted:

Two years to come up with more fake charges. That's so cool

No kidding. What the hell is that? Aside from a way to keep people intimidated, obviously.

mushroom surprise
Oct 11, 2012
https://twitter.com/NationalSJP/status/1783881528088408554?t=zqZ_7vBiYtmupGvmIJObwA&s=19

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Please resticky the thread thank you