Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: really queer Christmas)

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Crazy that MIT, the smartiest smart place on Earth, still has to drive and park like a bunch of dummies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

sure are a lot of helicopters flying around MIT right now o.O

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Weka posted:

lol that biden being pushed left by the CIA is plausible

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

Imagining it shooting out of his sleeve like a magician with fake flowers. GOB Bluth says free palestine lol

Time for a photoshop

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

drat photo is too small

I hate how stealing images has gotten so much worse

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Sorry to disappoint you but you got snooker'd. Biden and the white house are not stopping giving Israel weapons.

It's just a maneuver to get some headlines going and fool people that they're doing something. Hopefully the students are smart enough to know that Biden is full of poo poo

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
that's what dems do. they say they're doing the thing. then they qualify it. then they redefine it to mean whatever it is they ended up doing or not doing, which is never the thing they said they would do.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Soap Scum posted:

sure are a lot of helicopters flying around MIT right now o.O

doesnt MIT have a nuclear reactor?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the students of MIT have the chance to do the funniest thing: turn boston into fallout 4

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
a nuclear reactor and they dont even use it to power an electric transit system?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

for better or worse, the MIT reactor can’t go critical because of how it’s built

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

skill issue

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

for better or worse, the MIT reactor can’t go critical because of how it’s built

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/sahouraxo/status/1788593796050985434
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1788735713179017550

Israel is toast if not even the subservient Swede is doing numbers for them.

e: Greta Thunberg was there too.
https://twitter.com/JoshuaPHilll/status/1788674200825466916

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/upholdreality/status/1788723220566122565

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Subjunctive posted:

MIT reactors don’t explode. And they can always just push A Zed Five if there’s a problem.

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

galagazombie posted:

MIT reactors don’t explode. And they can always just push A Zed Five if there’s a problem.

I think its Nine One One in the USA for emergencies.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

The MIT research reactor can and does spend most of it's time in a state of criticality, it is just designed to operate at very low power and temperature and under ambient pressure.

Here are some other fun facts about the MIT research reactor:

-The reactor is one of the oldest continuously operated research reactors in the US. People did things a little bit differently back in the 1950's, and nuclear safety is no exception!

-The reactor core is fueled with 93.2% highly enriched uranium fuel. Oh boy!

-There are 27 fuel elements in the core, with 506 grams of U-235 content each. That works out to 14.7 kg of HEU.

-Each of these fuel elements is a diamond shaped plate roughly 3 inches wide, so they aren't very big, and the core itself is quite small. Also, as mentioned before, the whole thing operates at ambient pressure with a maximum (water) coolant temperature of ~50C, so there is no pressure vessel encasing the core surrounded by steam or boiling water or anything like that.

-Fun fact, for any science buffs out there: the prompt critical mass for a beryllium reflected sphere of HEU is 14.1 kg.

-Since the early 2000's, there have been plans in place to replace the fuel elements with an alternate design using low enriched uranium, but this still hasn't happened.

-The reactor facility has minimal security, which has been the subject of several journalistic investigations, one of which was able to park a large rental truck immediately outside of the building housing the reactor. Public tours are given routinely and there are no significant vehicle checkpoints.

Anyway, I hope everyone found that educational.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah just grab the fuel and run. what could go wrong

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Morbus posted:

The MIT research reactor can and does spend most of it's time in a state of criticality, it is just designed to operate at very low power and temperature and under ambient pressure.

Here are some other fun facts about the MIT research reactor:

-The reactor is one of the oldest continuously operated research reactors in the US. People did things a little bit differently back in the 1950's, and nuclear safety is no exception!

-The reactor core is fueled with 93.2% highly enriched uranium fuel. Oh boy!

-There are 27 fuel elements in the core, with 506 grams of U-235 content each. That works out to 14.7 kg of HEU.

-Each of these fuel elements is a diamond shaped plate roughly 3 inches wide, so they aren't very big, and the core itself is quite small. Also, as mentioned before, the whole thing operates at ambient pressure with a maximum (water) coolant temperature of ~50C, so there is no pressure vessel encasing the core surrounded by steam or boiling water or anything like that.

-Fun fact, for any science buffs out there: the prompt critical mass for a beryllium reflected sphere of HEU is 14.1 kg.

-Since the early 2000's, there have been plans in place to replace the fuel elements with an alternate design using low enriched uranium, but this still hasn't happened.

-The reactor facility has minimal security, which has been the subject of several journalistic investigations, one of which was able to park a large rental truck immediately outside of the building housing the reactor. Public tours are given routinely and there are no significant vehicle checkpoints.

Anyway, I hope everyone found that educational.

reminds me that the bush administration invented the dirty bomb

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

haha oh boy

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

“it is outrageous and inexcusable for Eurovision to let Israel participate while committing a genocide”

I don’t give a poo poo about Eurovision but I love the language. hell yeah Greta

Orbis Tertius has issued a correction as of 04:02 on May 10, 2024

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

those are all good reasons but shouldn't it be disqualified on account of not being in europe

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Soap Scum posted:

those are all good reasons but shouldn't it be disqualified on account of not being in europe

Europe is a state of mind. wherever white people are stealing land from its indigenous occupants and perpetrating horrific violence against them, there too is Europe.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Europe is a state of mind. wherever white people are stealing land from its indigenous occupants and perpetrating horrific violence against them, there too is Europe.

then why isn't canada in eurovision

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/halalflow/status/1788601519496933683

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Red Metal posted:

we let them have cooler poo poo like nhl

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

DaysBefore posted:

Imagining it shooting out of his sleeve like a magician with fake flowers. GOB Bluth says free palestine lol

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

critical support for the reactor

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

yeah they might as well put australia in there too. but yeah i know that's the reason, just would have been pretty funny for greta to say that also

he's so senile it's legit painful to watch. he'd lie even if he weren't losing his mind but drat that's an extremely high density of lies partly fueled by him not being able to remember poo poo

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Soap Scum posted:

yeah they might as well put australia in there too. but yeah i know that's the reason, just would have been pretty funny for greta to say that also

Can't tell if :thejoke: but Australia already is in eurovision

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Can't tell if :thejoke: but Australia already is in eurovision

lol oh god

99.9% of everything i know about eurovision is from this very thread. i never looked up who's in it and legit joker laughed irl upon reading this. gross

e: anyway this is getting a little sidetrack-y. death to israel.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Red Metal posted:

you have america for culture

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

americans must defend their right to hate speech

https://twitter.com/wideawake_media/status/1716041059287884035

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

https://x.com/ChuckModi1/status/1788759221007233485 https://x.com/SabbySabs2/status/1788290451570614337

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

love it

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

Police warn unis to break up protests as staffer threatens to burn camp

Victoria Police told universities there is a strong likelihood of violence if they don’t break up pro-Palestine student encampments on their campuses, warning that agitators who are not students are inflaming tensions.

Police are investigating pro-Israel supporters who have harassed the Monash University camp in recent days and an altercation with protesters at the Deakin camp. Deakin University is also investigating a staff member heard threatening to burn down a student camp and pro-Palestine protesters “observed using threatening behaviour and hate speech”.

Australian universities are doing better than expected (they have so far told police to go away) but it is extremely bleak, if unsurprising, to see that if you get attacked by fascist gangs, your event presents a risk of violence and must be shut down.

oh well, I'm sure this is an unfortunate result of emotions running high over Palestine and Israel and won't set a precedent for any future left-wing organising

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

won't set a precedent for any future left-wing organising

this is correct, because the precedent already exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Spergin Morlock posted:

this is correct, because the precedent already exists

Fair