Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I am on the lookout for fun movies that would complete "2. Moonlighting".

I could of course just go on IMDB and look up Robert Englund's non-Elm Street movies or something, but I'm hoping people here can actually recommend entertaining movies.

Just my two cents but the best thing he's done in horror other than Elm Street would be Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon. I guess the '05 version of 2001 Maniacs isn't too bad either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

2. Quicksilver Highway (1997)

Watched On: YouTube
"That Gal" Challenge (Veronica Cartwright)

Small note at the top: There are two cuts of the movie that swap the order of the stories. I watched the original television version which Mick Garris preferred since he thought the second tale was a better climax for whatever that's worth to you.

Another anthology that has somehow gone under my radar. I didn't even know it existed until about five minutes before I threw it on. I'm especially surprised I didn't hear of an anthology featuring Christopher Lloyd. His look in this movie is out of control by the way, he honestly just looks like Fester in the blonde wig from Addams Family Values plus a cute choker. Honestly if you wanted to think of it that way this could just be Fester before he gets his memories back freaking out people on the road and it kinda works. Hell, Lloyd is pretty effective as a Crypt Keeper type, I think.

The stories are fine but I'd say they're like, Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction tier stories since being a TV movie they couldn't do much in the way of violence and all that. I haven't read the two stories the movie uses but just glancing over the summaries it seems like they had a bit more explicit content than they were allowed to use. To reference the note at the start of the review, I think Garris is right, Body Politic is a much better finisher with some solid horror/comedy gags which was surprising. Matt Frewer vs his evil sentient hands is like a poor man's version of Ash fighting his own hand in Evil Dead for a minute there and there's also a swarm of hands that look like Thing from the 90s Addams Family movies, seems like people working on this whole movie were fans considering that and Lloyd's presence/look in the wraparound.

If I were going to direct anyone to this movie I'd say watch the Lloyd wraparound parts but skip the first story right to "Body Politic". Solid short film that I wish they'd had more freedom to get really crazy with. Mick Garris is never gonna blow anyone's mind here but I think he does pretty well in his lane and I'm glad he was doing his thing for so many years.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

As a Trekkie, you should be ashamed that you thought Robert Beltran was called Carlos.

:laffo:

gently caress! Hey, I'm still on pain meds from my appendectomy and also had baseball on my mind, you never know when those wires are going to get crossed.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

TheKingslayer posted:

Just my two cents but the best thing he's done in horror other than Elm Street would be Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon. I guess the '05 version of 2001 Maniacs isn't too bad either.

If you can find it, I recommend The Killer Tongue. Absolutely batshit in a car-crash-can’t-look-away way.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

If all you want is value for money on horror legend cameos, Wishmaster is right up there. Robert Englund, Kane Hodder, Tony Todd, Angus Scrimm, Buck Flower, Ted Raimi, Reggie Bannister, Tom Savini.

It's also a fairly fun 90s nonsense, but also has one of the wildest opening 5 minutes of any movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Arachnia(2003)

I'm using this one for the "low score on IMDB" challenge, but you know what? I really did enjoy this. I think a lot of it is just the fact that I watch(and endlessly rewatch) a lot of classic Harryhausen and so I was very pleasantly surprised to see that most of the spider effects in this movie were stop-motion. Complete with the stop-motion animated human victims writhing around and being torn apart, whole thing was just very Harryhausen and that's going to bring a smile to my face every time.

The reason for the low scores is definitely obvious though, mainly that the acting is atrocious. There isn't a single competent actor in the whole cast, and the writing doesn't help because the characters aren't written as real people at all. They are The Pilot, The Professor, The Hot Chick, and so on.

I'll be watching at least 5 or 6 spider movies this month, finishing up with Infested, but this was actually a much better start than I expected it to be.

1. Arachnia(Eat Your loving Slop!)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I could of course just go on IMDB and look up Robert Englund's non-Elm Street movies or something, but I'm hoping people here can actually recommend entertaining movies.

It's fun-bad not fun-good, but Chopper Chicks in Zombietown has a young Billy Bob Thornton plus the most aggressively slide-whistle heavy soundtrack I've ever heard.

Edit : I just realized I was reading this as another category, I Know What You Did Last Summer. I should be more awake when I post, sorry.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 1, 2024

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Just looking at my recent high ratings:

The Ghost in the Invisible Bikini (1966) is a great horror/comedy/beach-blanket-movie for fans of the Raven, with Karloff as the protagonist (although he has few scenes, they're great) and Rathbone as the antagonist. The Boogie Man Will Get You (1942) is also great Karloff horror-comedy, with Peter Lorre.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

7. The Bye Bye Man (2017)

I knew it was going to be a silly movie, this movie is basically mythical for just how dumb it is, but it's so loving stupid it's almost charming. It wants so badly to be taken deathly seriously while every single fibre of the movie is unintentionally hilarious. Nothing about it works like the movie wants it to work, but it's like those videos of people's homemade inventions backfiring, the chaos of watching it shake itself to pieces is so much more entertaining. The worst thing a movie can be is boring, and this movie certainly isn't that, I can see how it's gone on to be a winner for crowdwatches.

"I can't read in the dark! What do you think I am, a flashlight?"

2 out of 5!

Challenge: Eat Your Fuckin' Slop! (Letterboxd average of 1.5 stars, IMDb 4.3/10)

Watched so far: Mirror Mirror 2, Tremors 7, Infested, Death Machine, The Scary of Sixty-One, Little Evil, The Bye Bye Man

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 1, 2024

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Sono posted:

Just looking at my recent high ratings:

The Ghost in the Invisible Bikini (1966) is a great horror/comedy/beach-blanket-movie for fans of the Raven, with Karloff as the protagonist (although he has few scenes, they're great) and Rathbone as the antagonist. The Boogie Man Will Get You (1942) is also great Karloff horror-comedy, with Peter Lorre.

The Raven itself is also a good recommendation for this, it's got a young, heroic Jack Nicholson!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

A young Henry Cavill in Hellraiser: Hellworld is an interesting entry for that challenge. At least you get some Lance Henriksen in there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

The Raven itself is also a good recommendation for this, it's got a young, heroic Jack Nicholson!

Also Little Shop of Horrors

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

A double deep cut is Children of the Corn 3, for the debut of Charlize Theron, or Children of the Corn 5 for Eva Mendez.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Looks like the challenge is off to a hot start. A little over 48 hours after launch time, and we've already got 42 unique films logged through May 1! logged through May 1! I've added this link to the OP as well. Keep it coming and keep it spooky!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Crescent Wrench posted:

Looks like the challenge is off to a hot start. A little over 48 hours after launch time, and we've already got 42 unique films logged through May 1! logged through May 1! I've added this link to the OP as well. Keep it coming and keep it spooky!

Oh this is very cool.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Crescent Wrench posted:

Did anyone do this before?

Because this is a really smart idea and you should have a fancy hat and a piggy-back ride.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

5) Terror Train - 1980 - TubiTV
6) Terror Train - 2022 - TubiTV

I saw the 1980 Terror Train at the show back in the day. My opinion then was it was a perfectly fine slasher film, follows all the appropriate beats. Story is a prank goes wrong ends up in revenge later on. The slasher reveal was surprising for the time, especially considering it was pitched as 'Halloween, but on a train'. It happening on New Year's with the killer taking advantage of it being a costume party on the train really worked with ratcheting up the tension as to where was the killer. Ebert hated it, insisting the people who would go to see it only cared if there was a knife, blood and young women in it.

So, revisiting it with a digital stream, it's still a perfectly fine slasher. Certain clue points are more visible with the cleaner print that makes me shake my head at how they were missed before. While a bit dated at points, I still found it an enjoyable watch.

Needless to say, I was surprised there was a fairly recent remake. I was a bit iffy going in since trains aren't quite the thing they used to be, but I was curious as to what they'd do.

It does follow the beats of the original. College prank goes wrong, and revenge is on it's way. The changes made were all ones that made sense considering the 40 something years since the original. Even pointed out the train is a specialty nostalgia thing which makes sense. The final third of the movie is where they really mix things up which I felt was a fresh take on the revenge angle and it worked well. Overall, I enjoyed it.

Comparing the two, the remake does drop the ball with it not being too convincing that it's happening on a train. It feels more like it's a set than the wobbly motion of a train. I did really like that they changed it to happening on Halloween than New Year's since I don't think having a New Year's costume party is even a thing anymore. The change of the first costume the killer wears being a Groucho mask to an evil clown made sense in that Groucho's not as readily recognized by many anymore which is kinda sad.

Overall, I feel they're both fine entries in ths slasher subgenre.

Crescent Wrench posted:

:spooky: The Challenges: :spooky:
8. They Ruined It!
Watch a film and its remake. Your review should compare the films and what worked/didn't work in each version. A rewatch for one of the films is allowed, but at least one should be new to you.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Xiahou Dun posted:

It's fun-bad not fun-good, but Chopper Chicks in Zombietown has a young Billy Bob Thornton plus the most aggressively slide-whistle heavy soundtrack I've ever heard.

Edit : I just realized I was reading this as another category, I Know What You Did Last Summer. I should be more awake when I post, sorry.

That's a good shout for that category though, so I'll try to look it up!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Movie 2: The Town that Dreaded Sundown (12. Tubin')

Texarkana looked normal during the day, but everyone dreaded sundown.

Alright, I hope this counts for the Tubin' challenge. I hadn't heard of this movie until the other day, but I didn't discover it through Tubi. I found it while looking up other movies by Charles B. Pierce after watching the MST3K episode of the godawful Boggy Creek II: And the Legend Continues. And then I saw it was available on Tubi and figured "hey, let's see this piece of poo poo". But if Crescent Wrench or others feel like this isn't in the spirit of the challenge, I'll remove the claim.

Imagine my surprise when the movie WASN'T a piece of poo poo at all, but a perfectly serviceable horror movie. That being said, there ARE obvious connections with Boggy Creek II. Jimmy Clem has a minor role in the movie, having played the world's greasiest redneck in Boggy Creek II. Much like that movie, The Town that Dreaded Sundown also features frequent voiceovers, but here they actually work for the most part and set the tone and mood.

The movie reminded me a lot of Halloween, my favourite horror movie of all time. Much like in Halloween, a mysterious masked killer is preying on young people. The thing I really like in Halloween is how The Shape is filmed and portrayed like a force of nature. The movie doesn't explain his motives, doesn't give him an elaborate backstory. He just turns up and starts murderin'. The Town that Dreaded Sundown does a similar thing. The killer is a large man dressed in work clothes and wearing a bag with eye holes in it over his head. It's a rad as hell look, and because he doesn't have a single line of dialogue in the entire movie, he also feels threatening and alien the same way Michael Myers did. I'd say the killer here is easily the best part of the whole movie.

Now, am I saying The Town that Dreaded Sundown is as good as Halloween? Absolutely not. Charles B. Pierce is demonstrably capable of better than Boggy Creek II, but he's no John Carpenter. The movie is competent and quite well shot, but the acting is often questionable, and there's a bunch of scenes that are either played for hokey comedy (including a weird slow motion car chase that culminates in a loving Dukes of Hazzard style car flying into a lake shot while banjo music plays), or just loving doesn't work. Like there's a scene where the killer slowly attaches a knife to a trombone and then stabs a woman to death by repeatedly blowing on the trombone. I have no loving idea what Charles B. Pierce thought he was going for there, but the viewer doing a Psyduck face probably wasn't it. Also, while Halloween gives us a main character to care about and puts her in the killer's sights, here the killer just goes after random people and all the main characters are cops who are never in any danger. Apparently we were supposed to care about them though, because the film concludes with an Animal House style recap of what happened to all of the characters.

But it's still a pretty good time! The movie looks quite good and I for the most part enjoyed the tone and feel of the film. If there's been less questionable comedy scenes and more tension in the form of characters we gave a poo poo about, The Town that Dreaded Sundown could've been a really good horror movie. Turns out Charles B. Pierce could actually make movies when he wanted to, so now I'm even more curious about how the hell Boggy Creek II turned out the way it did.

The best part: A lot of the violence is filmed in a very detached style, much like in The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. There are no gory closeups or aggressive camera cuts, instead it feels like we're a passive observer just standing nearby watching the scene unfold. I really liked it in TCM and I really like it here as well.

:spooky::spooky::spooky: / 5

Challenges completed: 2/13

My May 2024 Movies;
1. Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich, 2. The Town that Dreaded Sundown

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

1. From Beyond [1986] - Dir: Stuart Gordon RW

Was able to start the month off right with a 35mm screening of From Beyond. There's just something intrinsically special about viewing a true nasty piece of righteous work like a Stuart Gordon picture bespeckled with dust, scratches and fine line tears across the image. The crowd was boisterous and deep into it. Even when things can be goofy there was a moment when those goofy moments stopped hitting and they were quietly observing the mad science at play and shouting "Noooo" when Ken Foree was dispatched right off the film. It's a crowd pleaser for the sick and horny crowd that wants the goop, the man-kini's and the nudity. What a picture!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I disgust myself so I can't imagine being in a theatre full of other From Beyond freaks.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I disgust myself so I can't imagine being in a theatre full of other From Beyond freaks.

Sounds like the greatest sensual pleasure there is to me.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

the host of the evening did call of us horny little freaks for being there last night so it isnt like we didnt all know the vibe of the room immediately.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

From Beyond is like that meal you make where every ingredient is just cooked perfectly and you know you'll never be able to recreate it. Just everything in a perfect ratio, goopy, funny, horny, spooky. Stuart Gordon is a drat master.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Crescent Wrench posted:

10. I Know What You Did Last Summer
Watch a film that a now-famous actor NOT known primarily for horror did early in their career. (Think Kevin Bacon in Friday the 13th, Jennifer Aniston in Leprechaun, etc.)

#2. Cutting Class (Peacock)

A series of murders and disappearances surround a group of high schoolers.

At the tail end of the 1980s, there were a bunch of knock off slasher movies trying to parody the genre from the inside - broad comedy, gratuitous nudity, ridiculous kill scenes, you know the type. Schlock churned out cheap to make a quick buck in the sleazy theaters and dumped into the VHS landfill to try and pick up a few more eyeballs from people who'd already exhausted the bigger (read: better) titles at the local mom 'n pop video store. Cutting Class does nothing to stand out from the pack of also rans - it's too bright, too goofy, not enough interesting gore, and the script is an absolute poo poo show. This is garbage, through and through.

Brad Pitt is here in an early role, but he's not really doing anything to benefit the film. Pitt was always an actor that needed a strong director to come across well on screen, or else his natural tendency towards vapid himbo-ity will overtake everything. And brother, whomever the hell directed Cutting Class was as far from a strong director as you can get. A waste of time to check this out if you're a Pitt fan - or even a fan of Roddy McDowall and/or Martin Mull, as they get nothing good to do here either - and even as an IMDB trivia nugget about his career, there's no reason to seek this out. Avoid avoid avoid.

:ghost:/5

Watched so far: The Gorgon, Cutting Class

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

From Beyond is like that meal you make where every ingredient is just cooked perfectly and you know you'll never be able to recreate it. Just everything in a perfect ratio, goopy, funny, horny, spooky. Stuart Gordon is a drat master.

From Beyond was the movie where I was like "ok wait a sec, I really need to start hanging around this Horror Thread because these people know about 10/10 masterpiece life-changing type movies that I've never even heard about before".

It's crazy how these things work, Re-Animator became this widely appreciated cult-classic but for whatever reason there's like a barrier around From Beyond where it just doesn't get brought up or mentioned in the mainstream at all. I feel like the cult following around From Beyond is about at the same level it was 15 years ago when I first saw it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
1. The Fourth Kind (2009)

Really dug this. The movie is setup like a TV special/documentary blending "real" footage/audio and then having a cast do reenactments of different moments, which I thought was really cool. I'm a sucker for found footage and fake documentary setups though. The main cast is good, but I felt the found footage stuff is where the movie really shined. It blends alien abductions with demonic possession which a kick rear end idea, and the found footage segments are short enough to not overstay their welcome. A good start to my may challenge.

3/5

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

1. The Fourth Kind (2009)

Really dug this. The movie is setup like a TV special/documentary blending "real" footage/audio and then having a cast do reenactments of different moments, which I thought was really cool. I'm a sucker for found footage and fake documentary setups though. The main cast is good, but I felt the found footage stuff is where the movie really shined. It blends alien abductions with demonic possession which a kick rear end idea, and the found footage segments are short enough to not overstay their welcome. A good start to my may challenge.

3/5

I got to catch this on a vacation one night at a beach house out on an island. Everyone else was asleep and it was just me in the living room with this view of the water out to the horizon, very good atmosphere. Fun flick.

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.

2. Stake Land
Challenge :spooky: Moonlighting :spooky:

Danielle Harris is here, but she's not playing Jamie Lloyd from the original Halloween continuity or Annie Brackett from the Robert Zombert Halloweens or Marybeth Dunstan from the Hatchet Cinematic Universe.

The best thing about Stake Land is that it lets the end of the world be kind of a bummer. It's a bleak movie and even though there are bright spots here and there, the plot doesn't depend on big action set pieces to move things forward.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Movie 3: Poltergeist (4. Face Your Fears)

They're here!

OK, so until I started participating in these horror marathons a few years ago, I had seen VERY few horror movies, because I used to be a very sensitive child and those sleepless nights after seeing even mild scary stuff as a kid put me off horror movies for decades.

When I was a kid, we were Jehovah's Witnesses, and one day the elders decided to tell a very young me that actually demons are very real, and gave me examples of real life demonic things. And remember, these are the guys that we were conditioned to think basically could not lie, and to trust explicitly in all things. I didn't sleep for a week. And then I watched Poltergeist with my older friends, and it hosed ME THE gently caress UP, because the fit pretty well the stories the elders told me. I think I tapped out slightly before the hour mark, so I had no idea how bad things might eventually get, nor did I care to. It's probably the reason why haunting stuff still gets to me more than any other horror idea.

I'm not surprised I was so hosed up by the movie, because even now, close to 40 years and dozens of horror movies later, Poltergeist is loving CREEPY AS HELL, especially the first half. The haunting ramps up quicker than I remembered, but I absolutely love how initially the family just think it's cool to have this weird force in the house that moves chairs around and does fun tricks. And then poo poo immediately starts to go horribly wrong and it's amazing. In retrospect I am extremely glad that I stopped watching before poo poo got real bad, because if I'd seen for instance those corpses floating up in the swimming pool and the coffins popping up, or those spirits walking down the stairs, or that god drat clown scene, I don't think I would've slept for a month.

Even if you didn't know, I bet you could very easily tell this is a Spielberg script. It's got that same family vibe, and they drip feed info to the viewer masterfully. I love how well the movie uses moments of levity and humour to break up the tension, and then almost always when I had relaxed a bit, hit me right on the nose. Where it gets interesting is the directing and the shots, because if I didn't know the movie was directed by Tobe Hooper, I would've bet my life savings on this being a full Spielberg joint, because it just looks and feels like that, you know?

It's also so god drat cool to see what an important and influential movie this is. So many movies made after Poltergeist just ripped off scenes and ideas either indirectly or directly, and just like with Psycho it's a movie where even though I kinda knew the big important beats through references, memes and cultural osmosis, it was so cool to see them first hand finally. What an awesome movie!

The Best Part: The practical effects. A lot of them are insanely good and cool. The 4K Blu-ray makes the ghosts look obviously effecty, but I am in awe of some of the stuff the team did. I'd absolutely love to know how they did the chair stacking scene for instance. Was it just a really well hidden cut, or did they somehow rig up a way to stack those chairs in the few seconds the camera was off the chair. Or that shot of the mom being pulled up the bedroom wall and to the ceiling. And that shot of the giant skull popping out of the closet! Insanely cool!

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky: / 5

Challenges completed: 3/13

My May 2024 Movies:
1. Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich, 2. The Town that Dreaded Sundown, 3. Poltergeist

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Now I desperately want to see some kind of long, in-depth making of feature or retrospective about Poltergeist.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
2. Scaler, the Dark Spirit (2016)
Tubi burned me. This sucked. Boring, predictable and over edited.

1/5

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Man, I just watched all seven Nightmare on Elm Street movies last week which would've been perfect for this thread. They would've ticked off so many challenges. I'll do things right though and not count them. On to my first movie for the month:

1. Pin (1988)
This is an odd one. Siblings Leon and Ursula are growing up in some small Canadian town where their father is a doctor. He has an anatomical dummy in his office that he pretends is alive to entertain his kids. This involves ventriloquism. Both of his kids think Pin is actually alive and while Ursula grows out of it, Leon fixates more and more on Pin as time goes on. Eventually, his dad catches him talking to Pin (and Pin talking back) and realizes his son is disturbed. He grabs the dummy and intends to gift it to a medical school (he happens to be on the way there to give a speech), but he's agitated and late and speeds, causing a wreck and killing himself and his wife. Pin, of course, survives. Leon continues to go off the deep end and weirds everyone out while Ursula is trying to live a relatively normal teenage life.

Pin is a slow burn of a movie, but it's great. It's off-kilter and weird, a fun watch with friends.

3/5

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

8. The Wrath of Becky (2023)

I watched the original Becky (2020) for October's challenge, and enjoyed it, so I thought "what the hell, I'll give the sequel a go, plus it checks off a challenge". And just like the original, this was a lot of fun! I was curious as to where the story would go after the first one felt like such a complete arc, but turning Becky into an ice-cold Nazi-murdering machine is absolutely the right way to go with it, turning a home invasion movie into a bloody revenge movie. Lulu Wilson absolutely nails the role too, she's so fantastic at selling just pure cold rage. If you wanna see some real deserving pieces of poo poo get murdered in some real grisly ways (the second bear trap was a great surprise, the THIRD bear trap, that's the real money shot), this is a great time.

Oh, and any movie that has a Koko B Ware reference in literally the opening scene immediately gets bonus points.

"You're right, he really does love meat."

4 out of 5!

Challenge: What's in a Name?

Watched so far: Mirror Mirror 2, Tremors 7, Infested, Death Machine, The Scary of Sixty-One, Little Evil, The Bye Bye Man, The Wrath of Becky

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

2. Tremors 2: Aftershocks - Dir: S.S. Wilson RW

Tremors 2 might be, right now in my mind at least, as good as the first. It's still a boat load of fun, even more comedically jam packed and full of charming character actors just eating every scene for the life of themselves. Tremors is still my favorite, but this one is right there next to it. I think I'm just going to finally watch the rest of the series this month. I know Michael Gross stays consistent so at least they have that going for them.

1. From Beyond 2. Tremors 2: Aftershocks

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Challenge 2 (Moonlighting): Candy Corn (2019)
This is a new kind of terrible. I was going to use this for Challenge 1 (Eat your loving slop!) but then I saw that the cast is a veritable treasure trove of horror actors (Courtney Gains, PJ Soles and Tony Todd) who were hired to give the film some semblance of credibility. This is slow, boring, full of CGI blood plugins and very lovely overacting from 3 of the 4 leads, two of whom aren't even credited on the Letterboxd page for the movie. Wholeheartedly would not recommend this, even for a fun bad movie night garbage-watch.

:spooky: 1/5

Challenge 6 (Stop! Stop! He's Already Dead!): Children of the Corn: Revelation (2001)
The 7th movie in the Children of the Corn franchise, this had a Letterboxd rating of 1.7 out of 5 so I fully expected it to be unwatchable dreck. Boy was I mistaken; this was a dumb fun movie, with a nice if ultimately unresolved turn by Michael Ironside. Clearly the DOP and the editor had great fun making this; most of the soundtrack is made up of stock musical stings making most of the kills seem unintentionally comedic. I had fun with this one, and unintentionally ended up watching two movies with 'corn' in their titles.

:spooky: 3.5/5

Challenges Completed So Far: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

2. Candyman (1992)
I had always heard good things about this one, but had put it off for years. It's so much more than I expected and probably my favorite Clive Barker movie. In addition to being just a great horror movie it's got some things to say which are still pretty relevant today. Definitely one I'll rewatch in the future.

:spooky: 5/5

Challenge: Bite the Bullet
I've been meaning to watch this for years, but I'm dumb and have been putting it off.

Movies: 1. Pin, 2. Candyman
Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Just for the sake of curiousity, since it comes out here this week and I'll be going to see it anyway, (without spoilers) is Love Lies Bleeding horror/thriller enough to qualify? Thought I might as well knock out the "Bleeding in the title" challenge with something I'm gonna go see anyway. If not, I'll definitely be able to find something else.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

TheKingslayer posted:

A young Henry Cavill in Hellraiser: Hellworld is an interesting entry for that challenge. At least you get some Lance Henriksen in there.

So, funny thing - this was my first movie choice this month because it, technically, covers FOUR WHOLE CHALLENGES at once.

But I’m only claiming it for one.

Hellraiser: Hellworld (2005)

Five young adults suffer a horrible fate: they are the leads in an eighth Hellraiser movie.

The Good: Lance Henriksen never phones in a performance, even when the rest of the movie does.

The Bad: The movie never establishes any in-world rules, so viewers are left confused as to what’s real, hallucination, daydream, demonic illusion, or bad editing.

The Ugly: Critics say to stop after Hellraiser III and I can see why. At number eight, any resemblance Hellworld has to the original movies is Doug Bradley and even he called it quits after this one.

Also —

Early on, Chelsea calls the puzzle box “the la-mont configuration,” which sounds like a lost Sanford & Son episode.

:spooky: Challenges :spooky:
6. Stop! Stop! He's Already Dead!
[Eighth Hellraiser movie]

Naked Man Punch fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I’m so in this year. Never completed a May challenge but I think I participated in one a few years ago but had to tap out. I'll try the full 31 with the 13 challenges.

Firing up my first watch now.