Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Internet Old One posted:

No fair bundling up Fraiser with things worth watching to make it seem normal.

You simply lack the refined palate for such a highbrow show. Probably never been to "Le Cigar Volante" either.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Smugworth posted:

Never heard of it

It was on NBC around the mid 90's. It was funny in a nihilistic sort of way.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄  ̄)づ♥(∀●)

Smugworth posted:

Seems like he's finally fighting back against the young bull pencilhands and he's firing on all cylinders today :golfclap:

a thread full of YRETSAM the likes of which we've never seen

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

redshirt posted:

You couldn't make Hee Haw these days....

Well, you could be it would be on TBN or whatever Evangelical network. Lee Greenwood would be one of the hosts. Hell, maybe John Schneider gets a regular paying gig out of it.

Fun fact! Hee Haw aired because CBS cancelled the Smothers Brothers show by direction of President Nixon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJZY__j0Tyk

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 30, 2024

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

hes never forgiven the wokes for ending his friend kramers career just because he shouted the n word angrily numerous times at a live performance. the wokesll basically cancel anyone who shouts the n word angrily numerous times at a live performance these days.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

you know what we used to call these nuts when we were kids?

Does this turn into a ligma joke?

Poohs Packin posted:

You simply lack the refined palate for such a highbrow show. Probably never been to "Le Cigar Volante" either.

Probably, they say it's the smartest show on VHF.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Bonzo posted:

Well, you could be it would be on TBN or whatever Evangelical network. Lee Greenwood would be one of the hosts. Hell, maybe John Schneider gets a regular paying gig out of it.

Fun fact! Hee Haw aired because CBS cancelled the Smothers Brothers show by direction of President Nixon.

I always thought Hee Haw was some kind of conservative backlash response to Laugh In.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
it's a shame you can't have shows like seinfeld on anymore

they must have pulled it from syndication too, right?

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
I really like the woke nazi episode where he tell jerry "no sitcom for you!" 😂 On the famous show Spinefelled

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
We just need more physical comedy.

Watching a guy get hit in the nuts or fall down the stairs is good laughs for everyone.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Rad-daddio posted:

We just need more physical comedy.

Watching a guy get hit in the nuts or fall down the stairs is good laughs for everyone.

Yeah but you never see women get kicked in the balls which is just more proof that the extreme left is taking over

edit: also kinda love your avatar

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Serious take: Seinfeld is a weird control freak who only liked comedy for the sway it gave him over a crowd. He has no passion for the artform outside of maintaining his presence as a figurehead despite producing nothing worthwhile in decades. He got lucky in the 90s by having the right friends.

His laugh and smile in Comedians in Cars comes across as so fake and disingenuous. He also cannot stand other peoples opinions on "funny".

The weird rictus smile he does is nearly identical to the "masking" smile my nephew with ASD does when he doesnt get the joke. Im convinced Jerry is a textbook narcissist whos bitter his career waned and that his friend got in trouble, despite being wealthier than ever.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Yeah but you never see women get kicked in the balls which is just more proof that the extreme left is taking over

edit: also kinda love your avatar

A woman getting hit in the balls on national TV would be a huge sign of progress.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rad-daddio posted:

I always thought Hee Haw was some kind of conservative backlash response to Laugh In.

As a non-Southerner, I remember really enjoying Hee Haw as a kid. It was funny.

I wonder what I would think to watch an episode now. I assume it's terrible/awful

Nov 6, 2002

men getting hit in the balls is funny

women getting hit in the face is funny

please get this right you tools

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

"Arrrruggghhh?"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄  ̄)づ♥(∀●)

Disco Pope posted:

"Arrrruggghhh?"

Yet another example of cancel culture run amok

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Remember Jerry Seinfelds big follow up show on NBC where he would have a married couple show up and argue with each other and a panel of comedians would decide who was right?

They advertised the hell out of that before it died in like 4 episodes

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
The last episode of Seinfeld was lazy and cowardly and when he was at the very peak of his popularity and could have anything he wanted he spent it with a girl too young to get into a bar without his celebrity power.

Also I hear he is a chronic overflosser.

redshirt posted:

I wonder what I would think to watch an episode now. I assume it's terrible/awful

It has a certain charm. I managed to sit through an entire episode sometime this decade. It had a few cute jokes but I wouldn't have finished the episode if it wasn't such a weird time capsule, the now-obscure musical acts, the hokey humor, the sets.

I'd say it's more watchable than 30 minutes of the jerry lewis telethon but less watchable than a 1998 episode of Conan. I'd put it about square with a good episode of Springer.

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 30, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ok so here's a Hee Haw skit that was one of the first results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IIKE9p5SEw

Did you laugh?

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

I liked Seinfeld growing up, but then the more I got to know of Seinfeld its obvious hes just a huge loving rear end in a top hat, I watched some of that comedians in cars getting coffee and god drat does he think he comes off good on there? He made Bill Maher seem like an affable person

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

redshirt posted:

Did you laugh?

No. It was a drawn out set-up to support 2 weak jokes.

Actually, I suppose it's 3. The wailing as part of the song probably counts.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

goatface posted:

No. It was a drawn out set-up to support 2 weak jokes.

Actually, I suppose it's 3. The wailing as part of the song probably counts.

lol I laughed. The dog!

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

These comedians keep reframing this complaint to make them sound reasonable but what it's ultimately about is that they miss being able to punch down.

"Never punch down" is a pretty recent rule in comedy, and one that was not followed very much in the 80s and 90s.

Naturally its right wing dipshits who want to punch down, and also right wing dipshit audiences who love to laugh at the expense of those who have it harder than them. It's pretty intrinsic to what being a conservative is these days.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄  ̄)づ♥(∀●)

redshirt posted:

Did you laugh?

Horse Apples is better

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Nov 6, 2002

sure okay posted:

These comedians keep reframing this complaint to make them sound reasonable but what it's ultimately about is that they miss being able to punch down.

"Never punch down" is a pretty recent rule in comedy, and one that was not followed very much in the 80s and 90s.

Naturally its right wing dipshits who want to punch down, and also right wing dipshit audiences who love to laugh at the expense of those who have it harder than them. It's pretty intrinsic to what being a conservative is these days.

Eh, I think it's even more basic. When you are an old multi-millionaire you are just so goddamn out of touch. What distinctive viewpoint could you possible have that would be relatable to anyone anymore?

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Jerry a whiny beeotch. Remember that George Carlin documentary from last year? You could tell Seinfeld (and colbert) were Extremely Very Not Mad about George's political and religious jokes

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

ProperCauldron posted:

Jerry a whiny beeotch. Remember that George Carlin documentary from last year? You could tell Seinfeld (and colbert) were Extremely Very Not Mad about George's political and religious jokes

I'm curious but not enough to watch a netflix documentary. Could you fill us in a little more?

Also Colbert? His whole schtick is a guy who is never mad playing a right wing caricature who is always mad. Showing genuine annoyance is toxic to his brand so whatever bothered him had to sting.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

sure okay posted:

nah its just these old rich fail idiots that arent funny anymore. punching down is fine. punch anywhere you like. just make it loving funny goddammit and dont give me a lecture or sermon on how woke society is today old man

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Its a good general practice to disregard the opinions of any prominent person throwing around extreme left as if thats an actual force acting against them. The Batman bitch-slaps Robin meme comes to mind.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I got so many jokes. I could blow your minds with my comedy. I could give you the best laughs you've ever had. But I can't, because of The Left.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Comedy with rules sucks. Agree with poster above either its funny or it isn't. If someone makes a bad joke and no one is there to hear it who gives a poo poo.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
I wrote so many jokes but the left wing beat me up and stole my jokes and theyre not even using my jokes theyre just throwing them back and forth to each other while I cry and try to catch my jokes

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It doesnt help is a trend now is telling a joke and making up someone whos offended to try and fail to sell the joke better, so if you attack it as bad comedy it gets taken as someone offended that it was said rather than said poorly.

Nov 6, 2002

For decades there have been comedians who made their entire careers out of telling offensive jokes.

Seinfeld is just being a giant bitch baby.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
The problem with Jerry is that he honestly believes he's God's gift to the world and his character in the show portrayed that very well. I remember in his cars and coffee with Ricky Gervais he was all like I don't laugh at things that arnt funny instead of just being polite. And Ricky genuinely asks do you think we are that important?! and Jerry says yes!. And that's why he's not funny.

I love the show and will watch it until my golden days tho.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Rad-daddio posted:

Type in Hee Haw 1996 in the YouTubes and you'll see that they borrow heavily from it, but not what I would exactly call "conservative" for the time and audience. It changed over the years but they always included

redshirt posted:

The jokes and skits get really repetitive, but if you like classic country music it's a goldmine. Lots of Canadians on the cast as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Bonzo posted:

I remember really liking the smothers brothers when I was a kid. I wonder if it's held up? Why did nixon want them canceled? It didn't seem that controversial, but I was just a stupid kid.