Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Does anyone in Eiyuden get a Primal Lens?

Guess I'll spoiler in case anyone cares:

Nope, the primal lenses are just plot macguffins. They get mentioned as important but this importance isn't really demonstrated, and aside from Nowa and Seign finding one at the beginning of the game the protagonists don't have any meaningful encounters with them or get their destinies tied to them or anything. It's weird because they sort of suggest that Nowa and Seign have some sort of special connection to the runebarrows early on, but they immediately drop that.

They should have just had Nowa becoming a primal lens bearer the inciting event. As it is, he's just a kid from a backwater village with no real accomplishments and no connection to any of the major players or events, but I guess he's got the sort of energy they want to see in this organization so they put him in charge of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Guess I'll spoiler in case anyone cares:

Nope, the primal lenses are just plot macguffins. They get mentioned as important but this importance isn't really demonstrated, and aside from Nowa and Seign finding one at the beginning of the game the protagonists don't have any meaningful encounters with them or get their destinies tied to them or anything. It's weird because they sort of suggest that Nowa and Seign have some sort of special connection to the runebarrows early on, but they immediately drop that.

They should have just had Nowa becoming a primal lens bearer the inciting event. As it is, he's just a kid from a backwater village with no real accomplishments and no connection to any of the major players or events, but I guess he's got the sort of energy they want to see in this organization so they put him in charge of everything.

This isn't quite right, though it illustrates the point:
The tree dude party member gets an ability from a primal lens. Dunno if it's any good, I didn't use him much?

Also the Dux isn't discount Luca Blight. He is discount Vayne Solidor.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

EclecticTastes posted:

Iugo has the highest resistance of any frontline fighter, and his defense is second only to the likes of Reyna and El Alicanto, and he has the literal highest attack in the game (shared with Chandra). Not to mention good dexterity and luck. He's essentially Viktor from Suikoden I and II, where he's basically just a big, tough guy who spends the entire game doing basic attacks and shrugging off hits, but it works for him because he's the unequivocal best in the game at doing exactly that.

As for Yusuke, Scarlet's strength is mediocre at best, there's no way she outdamages him without massively stacking the deck, and as for Yuferius, Yusuke outdamages him in random encounters, where you're just autobattling, unless you get lucky with initial SP distribution so he gets a Jaw Crush in. Additionally, Yusuke is one of the best tanks for the first half of the game, until armor stats start to outweigh his naturally high defense, and even then, he has the highest HP in the game (shared with Dijkstra), so he can soak any serious damage he takes, and the Rune of Tenacity allows him to power through damage spikes when/if they occur. You're right that I was maybe being uncharitable to Yuferius (though he's not that amazing outside of boss fights), but Yusuke absolutely belongs on the list of best characters.

I gave up on Iugo basically as soon as I got someone else. All I remember is him having a bad time when you fought Kogen and pals, due to his low def and inability to defend. Glad to see he becomes really good.

At level 60 Scarlet has a bit less str than while being much faster while having better mdef and dex. Yusuke has bad dex and mdef. Yuferius has M range, which is really useful for being able to help pick off high value targets in the backrow on the first turn.
I used all 3 of them for a while(and this lead to hilarious boss deletion when all their charge moves went off) and Yusuke was the only one getting rocked by magic attacks during trash and occasionally missing attacks.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Just cleared my second world as Diva in SaGa Emerald Beyond, and I'm still not sure when I should be swapping formations. The starting one is just so powerful: good starting stars, +1 per turn guaranteed, and star discount on skills after every combo which I try to do as much of as I can anyways. I feel like I'm probably making a mistake by neglecting the system, but the default one is just so flexible and good.

The starting formation is really good. For Diva, the only time I swapped formations was for the earth whale encounters(to counter flying enemies because that thing had pretty ridiculous evasion) and the last boss. And I probably could've beaten the last boss with the default formation.

I've heard the formation where you get BP for conditionals aka interrupts can be very powerful too, as you can get up to max quickly.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
got dungeon encounters during the steam sale, it was either this or quester, and i prob should have gotten quester since it's an indie dev, but DE intrigued me and so far it's pretty good at being engaging by sheer virtue of its filling the board for skill points and just how snappy every menu feels

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The 7th Guest posted:

Pohl says his rune tank was never meant to be used for war. i'm sorry? the, the rune tank with the giant cannon coming out of a bronze dragon's mouth? that was a peace tank??

Tanks can just be cool sometimes. FFXIV had a whole tribe dedicated to this.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I've heard the formation where you get BP for conditionals aka interrupts can be very powerful too, as you can get up to max quickly.

I used that for most of the buddy cop route, until the final boss which basically only used elemental attacks so I couldn't interrupt it at all. So I needed to switch formations.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

The 7th Guest posted:

the way SP does or doesn't generate for some party members does feel like a legit bug (like Lam when transformed). i also don't understand why characters start with seemingly random SP at times. there are equipment/runes you can use to increase your starting SP AND increase your regen, but sometimes a character just has 3 SP at the start of battle for seemingly no reason. but i'll have a character that ends battle with 5 SP and then has 0 in the next battle. but then they have 2 in the battle after that?? something's bugged here

and the math, i keep coming back to something about the math must be wrong in the combat system. something about the stat calculations isn't calculating right, and that's why a lot of buff spells are so ineffectual, why basic attacks are more powerful than magic, why evasion seems to barely happen even for characters with a taunt counter, why various characters don't seem suited to how they look, etc. i don't think the team took half the characters and thought "let's make them really bad at everything in combat", i think that they designed the characters with specific combat styles in mind, that is just not translating in the actual combat system because something fundamental about it inside the black box is borked

Taunting Counter doesn't improve evasion, Evade & Counter doesn't taunt, and Taunting Evasion doesn't counter, and counters aren't guaranteed even on a miss, so you're basically never going to see a counter attack. The bonus damage provided by the various "Adds (element) damage" spells is based on the recipient's magic stat, so only a handful of characters get meaningful bonuses (like Francesca, Lakian, or Milana, or I guess Leon but his base strength is so low that it only increases his damage from nonexistent to merely subpar). The only worthwhile attack spells are the absolute most powerful ones, used by Isha, Momo, or Gieran (the only characters with the magic stat to really pop, also I guess Leon but he can't normal attack for poo poo and you really want your mages to be able to do normal attacks sometimes). And I think plenty of characters were made intentionally bad because that's how Suikoden rolls, but there are definitely some characters who are designed around "bad stats but good rune slots/unique abilities" and the only one that really works at all is Leene, and even she doesn't do it especially well unless you load her up with busted runes that other characters can use more effectively.

As for SP, the way it works is as follows: Each character has a base amount of SP they start with that you can see on the status screen, this is zero for most characters, but some have 1 (such as Nowa and Milana) or even 2 (Kogen and I think Leene but I'd have to double-check). This can be increased with runes or the Sphene Bangle. At the start of battle, a pool of SP equal to the size of your party is randomly distributed among your team, which is why a previous post of mine refers to getting lucky with SP distribution, since it can take a character from just a basic attack to being able to use a skill rune on the first turn. Each turn, everyone gains 1 SP, or more with the Rune of SP Charge. Lam specifically does not generate SP while transformed, this is a built-in mechanic, representing that all her fighting spirit is going towards maintaining the transformation (though making sure she has 3 SP when you transform lets you perform her special finisher, which I only discovered existed like right before the final dungeon; it does around double-triple damage and then she reverts to her normal form, so it's good if you want to finish a fight all at once). All SP is reset between battle, like pretty much every bespoke "martial skills as a different system from magic" resource meter in RPGs.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 6, 2024

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Infinity Gaia posted:

Just emulate it. It looks better, runs better and has mods and cheats to bypass some of the annoying issues the game has (like grinding for crafting junk).

does it really? that's actually cool. i kinda still want to play xenoblade chronicles 1 first but that's good to know

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

EclecticTastes posted:

The only worthwhile attack spells are the absolute most powerful ones, used by Isha, Momo, or Gieran (the only characters with the magic stat to really pop, also I guess Leon but he can't normal attack for poo poo and you really want your mages to be able to do normal attacks sometimes).

It definitely feels like you can't really make a Flik here --- a fighter-mage that can throw a few heavy-hitter spells and also attack, at level that's at least good enough for casual play. Basically everyone with mixed stats probably just wants some healing spell since those are basically always useful, and often can't really take an advanced magic rune anyway.

Despite all the general "magic is bad" talk, pure mages still seem useful --- I had Momo and Isha and they made a short work of the final bosses ...especially since super-lucky badge in the final dungeon drops Fire 5 rune shards among others, which means you can cast that a lot. (And all the dark 5 were great for the random encounters).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think the buff magic, and magic in general in Eiyuden, is mathematically borked in some weird ways. Like I do not believe the bonus buff damage is based on recepient or caster stats at all, since in mid game it actually provided a meaningful boost to damage on a boss while at endgame it was a universal +1 to damage.

Similarly magic defense seems to work in some strange unfathomable way because I absolutely raised it at one point only to take more damage from magic attacks

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Having to do the poo poo beyblade game to recruit someone is really horrible.
Like the battles are making my arms hurt from all the button mashing

OddObserver posted:

It definitely feels like you can't really make a Flik here --- a fighter-mage that can throw a few heavy-hitter spells and also attack, at level that's at least good enough for casual play. Basically everyone with mixed stats probably just wants some healing spell since those are basically always useful, and often can't really take an advanced magic rune anyway.

Despite all the general "magic is bad" talk, pure mages still seem useful --- I had Momo and Isha and they made a short work of the final bosses ...especially since super-lucky badge in the final dungeon drops Fire 5 rune shards among others, which means you can cast that a lot. (And all the dark 5 were great for the random encounters).

Momo and Isha are just very very powerful. Every other mage is rubbish in comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I saw someone mention Xenogears several pages back, and it reminded me I started a playthrough late last year, so I've picked it up again.

Just today, I made it through what I think is the brunt of the Nortune section, namely the sewer dungeon (which, funnily enough, I think was how I first got curious about XG), and the Battler sections (aka the pseudo fighting game section).

I've been following a guide, so I was able to beat the four cronies at the beginning of the section and got to A-Rank. Unluckily, though, I got bad luck on the bomb collar defusal scene, so I didn't get the money for selling the collar (probably could have reloaded, but I was thinking the odds for it were really low, so I was surprised). I used a map for the sewer dungeon, but even with that and the guide, that dungeon is still a big pain. It's mainly the perspective, where swiveling the camera can throw you off, and you can easily forget about the damaging water flows that are littered throughout. The whole layout is just tedious to work through.