Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Persona 3 was better when it forced you to use the tactical options/call outs and engage with the themes and combat mechanics because holy poo poo even in FES with full team control every tartarus dive was a single nighter and a loving joke and it's only got easier with every 'QoL' update that just smoothed out any possible chance you'd face even a speed bump up on the combat side.

People like to piss and moan about party members wasting turns on not healing or prioritizing poo poo weirdly but that only happens if you put them on "Do Whatever" mode. Going to tactics and making called shots as the leader to make them focused ruled and fit the tone and themes they were going for so much more.

Much like the character writing and themes everything since P3's initial launch has just been a series of games having anything even a little bumpy smoothed off and that's why P5 is incredibly stylish and hollow on the inside.
There are legitimate gripes to be made about P3FES' AI, like how even set to Heal/Support the AI prioritizes healing HP over removing status effects or buffing so Yukari will Diarahan that 1-HP booboo on Akihiko's pinkie instead of removing Seal on the protagonist, for example. But yeah, I didn't even know Mitsuru's Marin Karin "spam" was a thing until I came across the Internet meme; she just... never did it for me because I almost never had any of my party members on Act Freely for my playthrough.

As someone who does enjoy doing "AI-only" challenges sometimes in games like Dragon Quest where the AI is generally competent when properly managed, I did enjoy that aspect of P3 FES most of the time when I played the game and while I'm glad they added manual control in P4/5 and later versions of 3 for the folks who really wanted it, I wish they had left the AI as competent as it was in FES, I tried playing P4 like I played P3 and it was like the AI had a lobotomy, it just couldn't handle playing the game even when baby-sat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I did read that they tried to improve tutorials in XB3, though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There's "less" to XB3 combat, for both good and ill.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I did read that they tried to improve tutorials in XB3, though.

You can at launch go back and read them again, which, bare minimum was a huge improvement.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the flame clock tutorial that then goes away before it can ever effect anything is really funny and good gameplay/story integration

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

it basically doesn't make sense to have anyone bound to Rex).

Oh rip, I definitely used some of the dlc cores on him

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Rex is quite privileged, yeah. Pyra is a good blade in her own right, and then he gets Mythra who is insanely busted good and outperforms 99% of the gacha blades on her own brutal damage output even before you factor in her extremely good passive party support. His other plot blades are also solid but Mythra is really hard to argue with.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hellioning posted:

AI controlled party members is bad because I dislike the 'super powerful MC and a bunch of hanger ons' that it made the original P3 feel like.

Even if it's entirely the same in 4 and 5 the other party members at least feel more important due to not being NPCs.

The p4 and 5 fast entire existence is warped around their mcs. They feel way less like actual people than the 3 cast.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

EclecticTastes posted:

Hey, so, I finally have everyone recruited in Eiyuden, and, I don't know if anyone cares about some rando's opinion, but in case someone's got choice paralysis, or just wants to know who might be worth experimenting with without needing to level them up themselves, here's my undetailed hot take on character quality (I'll put in spoiler tags just in case):
:words:

Mostly agree. Some people I would move up or down a tier. I'm not nearly as hot on Iugo as everyone else seems to be. Dude is made of tissue paper.

One that stands out to me is Yusuke. He's good at the start, but worse than the other recruits that also get Charge:Yuferius and Scarlet. Especially Yuferius.

e: I also wish the 2 slot party members had something going for them to make up for their size.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 5, 2024

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Kanos posted:

The Xenoblade 2 gacha is terrible if you're a completionist who absolutely has to open every potional field skill thing or you if you just want a very specific blade, and largely innocuous if neither of those things are true. The story blades are more than good enough to get you through the main story of the game even if you never pull a single gacha blade.

Yeah, but a lot of people are gonna want KOS-MOS.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Eiyuden is pretty easy so I just used who looked cool. It's easy to turn anyone pretty broken IMO. I never got much use out of the tank characters, despite trying to gear them for counters. My endgame party ended up Sabine, Elektra, Viesskis, Isha, Lakian, and Nowa. Sabine had the rune that doubled her attack for so many rounds and Isha had the magic equivalent. Dragonman existed to use his party buff and then throw healing items while Electra either used support items/spells or did moderate damage. Lakian is SUPER fast in his 60's and above and does magic as well as physical so he was an all rounder. Isha is just completely bonkers strong using her regular attack and magic spells/items. And Nowa used Reckless strike to debuff defense and just hit really hard. Even the super optional boss in the basement went down in a few rounds to that party.

The light magic spell that heals every round and gives light damage to the party is pretty great, and several people had the Radiance Rune attached to do just that.

And they looked cool too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fospoken had an option in accessibility to turn off its lock picking mini game. Thats weird, I thought, then I ran into the first one of them and yeah that got toggled on immediately.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

One that stands out to me is Yusuke. He's good at the start, but worse than the other recruits that also get Charge:Yuferius and Scarlet. Especially Yuferius.

I had Yusuke and the former guy in your spoiler for a while and Yusuke always outdamaged him with both at two charge, and with over 500 hp by the end. He was putting out over 800 too. Plus his attack didn't have a 10 second cutscene every time.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not quite there yet, but what is the last point at which you can do recruits for the good ending in Eiyuden? I want to know when I have to go suffer through Beigoma.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FireWorksWell posted:

I had Yusuke and the former guy in your spoiler for a while and Yusuke always outdamaged him with both at two charge, and with over 500 hp by the end. He was putting out over 800 too. Plus his attack didn't have a 10 second cutscene every time.

On hard, I was hitting the last boss for 1800+ dmg with that 10 second animation ability with two charges. :shrug: He also has M range, much better phys def and dex too.

Hunter Noventa posted:

I'm not quite there yet, but what is the last point at which you can do recruits for the good ending in Eiyuden? I want to know when I have to go suffer through Beigoma.

I think the cutoff point is right before you recruit Markus. You might be able to recruit everyone after going to but not clearing his castle, but I didn't want to risk it. I recruited everyone before doing that and it worked out fine.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

On hard, I was hitting the last boss for 1800+ dmg with that 10 second animation ability with two charges. :shrug: He also has M range, much better phys def and dex too.

Weird, he never went about 700 for me on Normal.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Forspoken's writing and pacing are bad, confirmed. This is infuriating because I see the proper bones in here, but they've been victorian dinosaured.

Also I figured out combat which is a) apparently what I thought was normal difficulty is hard mode and b) combat rating is 100% don't get hit and do finishers so that tutorial prompt is a lie.

Also in a first for an open world game it literally puts up a prompt when you're too far from where it wants to be that you are too far from where you are supposed to be, you need to warp back to the objective

FireWorksWell posted:

Weird, he never went about 700 for me on Normal.

I was doing north of 1500 a double charge on normal by end game with him.

Either way he's the only good offensive hammer type character so hes ok just for that. Like, seriously, Francesca is probably the next best one.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 5, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It seems to be balanced with this in mind, so it's not really an issue, but the ai for companions in XBX is pretty bad, offensively anyway.

When I stood back and observed my team fight an enemy on their own I realized just how piddly their damage output was. I don't think they understand any of their synergies.

I played a bit with Elma to experiment with Overdrive (seems she could probably pretty consistently pull off infinite Overdrive), but with her back in control she had no idea how to use it (and I can't get her to save up enough TP anyway, even with the build tension command).

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Mostly agree. Some people I would move up or down a tier. I'm not nearly as hot on Iugo as everyone else seems to be. Dude is made of tissue paper.

e: I also wish the 2 slot party members had something going for them to make up for their size.

Iugo has the highest resistance of any frontline fighter, and his defense is second only to the likes of Reyna and El Alicanto, and he has the literal highest attack in the game (shared with Chandra). Not to mention good dexterity and luck. He's essentially Viktor from Suikoden I and II, where he's basically just a big, tough guy who spends the entire game doing basic attacks and shrugging off hits, but it works for him because he's the unequivocal best in the game at doing exactly that.

As for Yusuke, Scarlet's strength is mediocre at best, there's no way she outdamages him without massively stacking the deck, and as for Yuferius, Yusuke outdamages him in random encounters, where you're just autobattling, unless you get lucky with initial SP distribution so he gets a Jaw Crush in. Additionally, Yusuke is one of the best tanks for the first half of the game, until armor stats start to outweigh his naturally high defense, and even then, he has the highest HP in the game (shared with Dijkstra), so he can soak any serious damage he takes, and the Rune of Tenacity allows him to power through damage spikes when/if they occur. You're right that I was maybe being uncharitable to Yuferius (though he's not that amazing outside of boss fights), but Yusuke absolutely belongs on the list of best characters.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Forspoken gonna need to pull off a hell of a Tales of the Abyss here with Frey but I think she might just be an rear end in a top hat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

the flame clock tutorial that then goes away before it can ever effect anything is really funny and good gameplay/story integration

I absolutely loved that lmao, it was perfect

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Oh rip, I definitely used some of the dlc cores on him

He doesn't unlock the ability to use other people's blades until like 2/3rds of the way through the story. It's not a big deal at all to be technically ~sub-optimal~ for the post game stuff (that let's be honest, the majority of players are never going to touch).

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

For Eiyuden like I said I pulled a Dragon's Dogma cause I got Gocteau

High five Gocteau bonding buddy. His was also really good??

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Nephrite posted:

High five Gocteau bonding buddy. His was also really good??

I also got this and was really confused. I don't think I ever even spoke to him voluntarily throughout the game. I definitely spoke to teleport lady or storehouse girl or cook man WAY more than him.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Levantine posted:

I also got this and was really confused. I don't think I ever even spoke to him voluntarily throughout the game. I definitely spoke to teleport lady or storehouse girl or cook man WAY more than him.

I feel like hes bugged somehow, because I didn't talk to him a ton either. That said, its possible I did since its not like I talked to anybody else very often and it wouldn't surprise me if scrolling through his lists of finished missions or moving teams around in his sub menus count as an extra chat.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

i suck at this more than normal mahjong...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ULTIMAHJONG is a really good portmanteau I have to say.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I played some XB2 and the kind of encounters that in XBX would take maybe 20 seconds here took closer to 5 minutes. Yes I'm rusty but I don't think by that much. Like should a random on level enemy not even die to a full blade combo?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Rinkles posted:

I played some XB2 and the kind of encounters that in XBX would take maybe 20 seconds here took closer to 5 minutes. Yes I'm rusty but I don't think by that much. Like should a random on level enemy not even die to a full blade combo?

sounds like xb2

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Etrian odyssey not showing by how much elemental dmg increases on a element mastery is infuriating when u learn from the skill calculator that it caps at 10% lol

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
When are they gonna finally port Xenoblade Chronicles X so you don't need to own a Wii U anymore

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

they made custom difficulty options in xb2 paid dlc?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Willo567 posted:

When are they gonna finally port Xenoblade Chronicles X so you don't need to own a Wii U anymore

Just emulate it. It looks better, runs better and has mods and cheats to bypass some of the annoying issues the game has (like grinding for crafting junk).

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Barudak posted:

Forspoken gonna need to pull off a hell of a Tales of the Abyss here with Frey but I think she might just be an rear end in a top hat.

remembering the interview where an art guy described her as "on the verge of prison"

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Rinkles posted:

they made custom difficulty options in xb2 paid dlc?

Yep, that was a salty surprise.

There's a remaster in XB2 somewhere that improves the game by shaving off hours of frustration by simpling cutting the bullshit. I can easily say half of my 100 hour playtime was spent navigating a menu, and I still didn't get Ursula her record contract.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ursula's sidequest is intentionally near-unattainable due to an obscure joke about a previous work her japanese VA was involved in, i don't remember the details. she's mainly good as a merc battery for other blades

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

got kinda lucky. 2 rare blades from 4 rare core crystals. kora and agate.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Just cleared my second world as Diva in SaGa Emerald Beyond, and I'm still not sure when I should be swapping formations. The starting one is just so powerful: good starting stars, +1 per turn guaranteed, and star discount on skills after every combo which I try to do as much of as I can anyways. I feel like I'm probably making a mistake by neglecting the system, but the default one is just so flexible and good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rinkles posted:

got kinda lucky. 2 rare blades from 4 rare core crystals. kora and agate.

the gacha has a pity-pull mechanic so you're near-guaranteed to get rare blades from your first handful of cores. the noose tightens after 4 rares, i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

the gacha has a pity-pull mechanic so you're near-guaranteed to get rare blades from your first handful of cores. the noose tightens after 4 rares, i think

Nah this is an old save. I think I had around 6 before this.