Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Kestral posted:

Anyone else had issues with the new wall lights attaching... Oddly? I keep finding walls that don't want to accept a wall light on their southern face in particular.

Yeah they don't attach to the wall, they want to attach to the floor spot that has a wall adjacent, if that makes more sense? It has to be either natural or constructed wall, no vents or other crap as far as I can tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Flesh Forge posted:

you know you can rotate them before placing right

:psyduck: lol I did not

silentsnack posted:

HyperRogue?

Probably it was just this and I'm remembering wrong, yeah

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

LonsomeSon posted:

A thing about classical genre literature, as well, is that it’s generic in that it helped define the genre, so if you’ve read more recent works which borrowed from or reference Lovecraftian themes, you’ve already got those basics and some innovations on board so you’re ready for more.

Yeah this is probably part of it. Weird geometry and quantum physics were cool new things when he was young. The unknown can be scary. Humanity being tiny and insignificant was a new idea too. So Lovecraft is going look at all this crazy poo poo, no, wait, don't look at it or you'll go mad.

Meanwhile my dude is over here going,

Curiosity destroys fear. And then you build the Torment Nexus.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Kestral posted:

The whole "non-Euclidean geometry" thing didn't get me either at first, until I saw good illustrations depicting what that kind of environment could be like. He's not saying it's scary because it's all curves, it's scary because it's made to alien sensibilities and is evidence of a profoundly alien mind at work. I can't find the R'lyeh illustrations I'm thinking of at the moment, but there's a graphic novel adaptation of At The Mountains of Madness by Gou Tanabe that does an excellent job of depicting alien architecture.

A good example of what this actually means comes up in one of the 40k books, I think one of the inquisitor ones. They're looking through some chaos ruins and one of the guardsmen realises that the reason a triangular rune feels off is the internal angles add up to more than 180 degrees.

A lot has been said already about the parts of his work coloured by his racism and agoraphobia, but this other part comes from the science community's initial reaction to quantum physics and general relativity at the time. Basically, a lot of these concepts are so unintuitive that the human mind might itself be incapable of fully comprehending the nature of the universe, to the point that there may be dangers we can't really conceive of. A lot of Lovecrafts stuff about alien gods killing off humanity by accident as they simply go about their existence comes from the implications of how weird stuff like quantum tunelling have a non-zero chance of screwing stuff up in ways that feel they should be impossible.

Basically the horror in these aspects comes from how the combination of the inherently random nature of the universe coupled with how unintuitive things get as we study it further made him and his peers feel scared and powerless.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Poor rat. I am sad now.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
You could consider roadside picnic to be lovecraftian horror in that sense. Guy goes into the zone, walks through what looks like a cobweb, inexplicably dies of heart failure. What did he walk through? We'll never know but now we know don't touch cobwebs in the zone

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Are escape attempts by monsters on holding platforms similar to prison breaks, where every prisoner in a given room simultaneously busts out and suddenly has the keys to their room? Or is it per holding platform, so that only one monster per room will escape at a time?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Do prisoners and slaves with the "incapable of violence" trait try to escape and do they fight your colonists when doing so?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kestral posted:

Are escape attempts by monsters on holding platforms similar to prison breaks, where every prisoner in a given room simultaneously busts out and suddenly has the keys to their room? Or is it per holding platform, so that only one monster per room will escape at a time?

It's all of them in the room. So be careful what you keep together.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kestral posted:

It's per platform and they actually have to break down the door. Which in practice means that unless you gently caress up your cells, you will have one monster escape at a time, and you'll have more than enough time to prepare counter-measures while it's bashing the security door.

OwlFancier posted:

It's all of them in the room. So be careful what you keep together.

I don't think that's true. I generally have 4 platforms per room and I'm pretty sure I've had situations where I only had to re-capture one entity.

Unless, I'm mistaken?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I've had two entities in a three platform room attempt an escape at the same time. Only one breakout message, so I assume when one entity attempts a breakout there's a roll for every other entity in the room to see if they break free at the same time.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, I usually run 4-platform containment rooms (except for the invisible fucker), and I've had 1, 2, and 3 entites try to escape at the same time. Never 4, but I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Yeah the vibe I got from anomaly is it's what happens when an archaeotech superintelligence becomes actively malicious to humanity rather than simply indifferent to it - think in the sense of I have no mouth yet I must scream. Killing all the humans is too easy, they have to go insane and suffer indefinitely instead.

All the effects seems to have some kind of in universe explanation rather than just "madness out of universe aliens did it" as per Lovecraft.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I started a new colony in a Tropical biome and I've had my colonists get gutworms 3 times in less than a year, jesus christ!

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I tried making a custom xenotype of tiny angry drug-addicted fairies.

Unfortunately, since they're so small, a single dose of any drug instantly overwhelms their tiny bodies and causes them to die of an overdose instantly, so back to the drawing board on this one.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Has someone done the bottom-line math on the skill buffs provided by luciferium? it's all like "120% to x which has a 0.3 impact on y up to 1.1 which has a 3x impact on z which has a 0.5 impact on x"

When you do all the math, what are the final multipliers for pawn abilities and skills?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

it makes your pawn a badass op

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Chrome will give you bigger boosts in every category, if you install every organ.

I’m curious to know, though, if Luci also enhances buffs from chrome by its percentages, meaning that you get a better Luciferian if you build them into a better pawn.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

bitterandtwisted posted:

Do prisoners and slaves with the "incapable of violence" trait try to escape and do they fight your colonists when doing so?

yes, and yes

and they can get the murderous rage mental break too

Inadequately posted:

I tried making a custom xenotype of tiny angry drug-addicted fairies.

Unfortunately, since they're so small, a single dose of any drug instantly overwhelms their tiny bodies and causes them to die of an overdose instantly, so back to the drawing board on this one.

psychite tea with the nisse frame gene works safely (even if the pawn also has Small, pretty sure Dwarfism also)
e: you might try it with the archite super small version, it looks like you ate Wake-Up there

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 5, 2024

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Trip report from High Life Animist colony: You can make ridiculous amounts of drugs, like stupid amounts. Also seems to apply for Ambrosia btw.
This also has the side effect of absolutely skyrocketing the colony wealth, which kinda sucks if no traders come by, so try to get microelectronics for the comms console asap.

Otherwise, I had to fight off a death pall depression spiral by getting everyone drunk, high and psyched out of their mind constantly, and I think I owe the entire survival of the colony so far to a single Elephant that self-tamed early on. He has been carrying me hard in every raid, and will be revered as such.
Pretty fun so far. Definitely not the strongest ideology I've tried, but seems very well positioned for the Archonexus ending goal, what with how much wealth you generate through the drug trade.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rimworld: You can make ridiculous amounts of drugs, like stupid amounts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Broken Cog posted:

a single Elephant that self-tamed

…could it be? After all these years?!

…is it the return of Colin?!