Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Small Strange Bird posted:

Voyager immediately dropping the Starfleet/Maquis tensions (except for the annual 'Maquis stuff' episode) is a flaw everybody has pointed out so often it now goes without saying, but there are so many possibilities for drama it offered that it's mindblowing they were actively avoided. The sister show running at the same time showed you could have conflict between allied but different groups and still keep everyone ultimately on the same team, but nope, everyone from the Alpha Quadrant is in Starfleet uniform with ranks by the end of the pilot.

C'mon, there must have been someone on Chakotay's ship who was a complete crayon-eater from Buttfuq III with zero qualifications other than "I like shooting Cardassians, me." How are they going to help recalibrate the anti-tetryon matrix? Are they going to spend 75 years in the brig?

The mandate was syndication is good, continuity confuses people, so all that tawdry conflict and factional drama nonsense had to be put to bed ASAP so every episode could be viewed in a vacuum of late-night television reruns at 1am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Gutcruncher posted:

one of those dentists

:stare:

what.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Production posted:

It's amazing, they could easily have stuck closer to their inspiration and made them a race of different racial caricatures of street gang members

Now that's gotten me thinking - how many times have Star Trek come across a group of people of different species? Apart from on a planet. And even that's rare outside of Federation worlds.

Dominion ships will have Vorta, and Jem'Hadar but I can't think of anyone else apart from when a ship is explicitly transporting someone who is not part of their society, like a foreign diplomat.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've been thinking of any example and drawing a blank.

Since Phlox was part of a doctor exchange program, it stands to reason there's a human doctor(s) on a Denoblian ship or hospital, so that might count (off screen).

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Denobulan doctors smirking and rolling their eyes as the human doctor recommends scans instead of rubbing patients with animals

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I don't know how you fellas do it on Denobulia!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I like the episode where they go rescue the Denobulan geologists or something and they didn't really need "rescuing" as much as "convincing" because they could scale the walls of the caves as easy as humans can walk up a slight incline.

Are humans particularly good at anything? Like are we "special" because our spit can break down sugar or we can stay conscious with only a 16% oxygen atmosphere?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I like the episode where they go rescue the Denobulan geologists or something and they didn't really need "rescuing" as much as "convincing" because they could scale the walls of the caves as easy as humans can walk up a slight incline.

Are humans particularly good at anything? Like are we "special" because our spit can break down sugar or we can stay conscious with only a 16% oxygen atmosphere?

Long distance running, and fighting.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

~friendship~

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Humans are stupid enough that we don’t know what we can’t do so we go for it goshdarnit

naem
May 29, 2011

1. pettin houndawgs
2. eatin STEAK
3. faaaaiith, if the heeeEAARRTtt..

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Humans are stupid enough that we don’t know what we can’t do so we go for it goshdarnit

FFS we're the Orks

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FFS we're the Orks

Vulcan Meat Shields I prefer to think.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

we're good at Kirk-fu

naem
May 29, 2011

redshirt posted:

Vulcan Meat Shields I prefer to think.

humans are the Jem Hadar of diplomacy

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

redshirt posted:

Long distance running, and fighting.

In Exordia the aliens consider humans mediocre long distance runners and being exceptionally inbred.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

LRADIKAL posted:

In Exordia the aliens consider humans mediocre long distance runners and being exceptionally inbred.

Well gently caress them aliens, tell em redshirt said so!

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

humans don’t have any agility or durability bonuses but the ferengi were impressed how quickly we achieved warp technology iirc. i guess we learn faster than most.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Space Jam posted:

humans don’t have any agility or durability bonuses but the ferengi were impressed how quickly we achieved warp technology iirc. i guess we learn faster than most.

Yeah we clearly have a research bonus, absolutely overpowered and has completely hosed the alpha quadrant meta

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Generally speaking in sci-fi and fantasy that's the human's trait. Ability to learn fast and make waves while doing it.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Yeah it's generally humans have adaptability and community compared to more rigid ideologies.

I always liked the Farscape treatment where Crichton is considered to be garbage at everything but still succeeds sort of.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Humans.gif

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Humans seem to reproduce substantially faster than basically anything that isn’t a Tribble. Most species, even ones with large territories like the Klingons, Romulans, and Cardassians, still can’t even fill up their own homeworlds. Humans meanwhile have filled up Earth to capacity multiple times and have had to keep spreading to other planets to make room.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Agent Smith was right

(humanity peaked in 1999)

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

galagazombie posted:

Humans meanwhile have filled up Earth to capacity multiple times and have had to keep spreading to other planets to make room.

I’ve never heard of Earth being overpopulated at any point in Trek history, what’s this from?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

every year people have to kill thousands of deers in North America to stop them destroying their own food supply and starving to death lol

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I've been fascinated with this news article since it was posted ages ago.

Does Geordie as the "new Spock" have any basis?

Did they advertise him that way?

He's literally some chump pilot in the gently caress-me seat for the first season.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

jsoh posted:

every year people have to kill thousands of deers in North America to stop them destroying their own food supply and starving to death lol

Death is an essential part of equilibrium. And people "have to" fill that role because we hosed up the environment. We have farms and ranches, predators notice farm animals are easier to hunt than wildlife, so we kill the predators. Now there aren't enough predators to control the deer.

Besides, the only mammals agent Smith has ever been able to study directly small rodents that eat fungus, insects, and bio-trash. Once the sun was blocked everything in the food web dependant on photosynthesis died. And absent predators rodents can control their own population with a little light cannibalism.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's probably just not a very good article. But it does seem to hint that people in the days of yore had a fundamentally different understanding of remakes and reboots.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Death is an essential part of equilibrium. And people "have to" fill that role because we hosed up the environment. We have farms and ranches, predators notice farm animals are easier to hunt than wildlife, so we kill the predators. Now there aren't enough predators to control the deer.

Besides, the only mammals agent Smith has ever been able to study directly small rodents that eat fungus, insects, and bio-trash. Once the sun was blocked everything in the food web dependant on photosynthesis died. And absent predators rodents can control their own population with a little light cannibalism.

Humans are a mammalian predator it would have studied dang closely.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

My Lovely Horse posted:

But it does seem to hint that people in the days of yore had a fundamentally different understanding of remakes and reboots.

But TNG is neither of those, it's a straight sequel, which was certainly a familiar format by the late 80s. Even the Brady Bunch had done multiple spinoff shows by that point (albeit continuing to bring back the same cast* every time).

* Fake Jan notwithstanding.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Star Trek Voyager starring the half human half Klingon Bella a Torres as the new Spock

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

There was an old article talking about how they anticipate Neelix being the breakout character.

Hooooooo boy

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Neelix & Jar Jar late 90's energy

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

There was an old article talking about how they anticipate Neelix being the breakout character.

Hooooooo boy

Neelix, designed to appeal to the younger Star Trek viewers in the hopes of launching a prequel YA book series focusing on Neelix's high school years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Neelix, designed to appeal to the younger Star Trek viewers in the hopes of launching a prequel YA book series focusing on Neelix's high school years.

A running gag is him desperately trying to flunk so bad he gets sent back to middle school